Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Building a "GT4 Touring"...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 02:08 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Hopefully Pete’s car arrives soon so we can start to see his project start. There are several of us that are going convert our GTS cars to GT4 Touring clones or GTS/4 Touring. Pete was able to grab the parts needed quickly. It will be interesting to see all of the converted cars when they are finished.
The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 02:18 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by j-dub
I think as soon as you confirm the fit and finish of the FV duck tail they will be flooded with orders and inquiries.
Ha-ha! I totally agree. I will follow up with them and ask when they will be sending my Marketing Fee check.

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Hopefully Pete’s car arrives soon so we can start to see his project start. There are several of us that are going convert our GTS cars to GT4 Touring clones or GTS/4 Touring. Pete was able to grab the parts needed quickly. It will be interesting to see all of the converted cars when they are finished.
My car just got dropped off in Long Beach yesterday! (It is going to an LA Dealer). So it is getting VERY close! I am very excited, I desperately need a Manual 718 4.0 back in my life asap.

BUT, it will take a bit to get to me - one Mod I have not yet mentioned here is that the car will go directly from the Dealer to @DeMan Motorsport for Rick and team to install the 2-5 Gearing Mod. I am more excited about that Mod than any other Mod for the car, by a longshot. Honestly, this car with the Deman gearing mod with my exhaust and tune, and maybe the Ducktail spoiler, that's about 95% of what I care about. All the rest is just icing on the cake, and stuff I thought about while I was waiting.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
j-dub (08-10-2023), LooseNut (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 02:30 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 659 Likes on 372 Posts

Thoughts on the RS Spyder Spoiler?

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 08-10-2023, 02:42 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
Thoughts on the RS Spyder Spoiler?
The Spyder RS spoiler is GORGEOUS! I love it. I would have done that in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, no Spyder Spoiler is compatible with any Cayman. The curvature of the Cayman Hatch is different from the Boxster/Spyder trunk.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:50 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
The Spyder RS spoiler is GORGEOUS! I love it. I would have done that in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, no Spyder Spoiler is compatible with any Cayman. The curvature of the Cayman Hatch is different from the Boxster/Spyder trunk.
I wonder if the GT4 RS ducktail offers a good starting point, for a competent fabricator to build upon and shape to match the size/extension of the Spyder RS’ ducktail. It’s already bigger than the GT4 and just needs a bit more extension + gurney lip to match the SRS.

The idea of a fixed ducktail (over motorized) seems really nice and clean in conjunction with a GT4/Spyder front end.
Leonel (08-22-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 07:17 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiftgear
how does the frog venom ducktail compare to the TWL carbon?
I can't provide a full review until I see it on the car.

The construction is very different. The Frog Venom leaves the base of the spoiler on the car and just replaces the piece on the top. The TWL Carbon one replaces the whole combined pieces that raises at speed.

The Frog Venom one in my opinion more OEM-looking, in two ways. First, I bought the Primed version of the Spoiler, versus the Gloss CF one. Painted Body color, it is just going to blend in and be a bigger spoiler. Many folks will not even notice, but it will look more aggressive, similar to when I put the Spyder Spoiler on the Boxster 25. I got lots of compliments on how great it looked, but very few people ever asked if that Spoiler was stock or not.

Second, I think the shape of the Frog Venom is closer to the shape of the Spyder and GT4 Spoilers. The TWL Carbon has a more unique curvature to it. Not good or bad, just different. And of course the Gloss CF construction of the TWL clearly looks aftermarket, because there is never any Porsche OEM Gloss CF Spoiler on any Cayman or Boxster.
wdr911 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:21 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I found this company, which appears to be out of China, but seems to make some parts that look like GT4/GT4RS parts. For instance, this spoiler that fits Caymans with motorized spoilers that looks like the GT4 fixed spoiler. https://frog-venom.com/products/duck...43068682305728 Says sold out, but if they make more could fit the Touring vibe.
I have ordered a Carbon Primed GT4 Ducktail Spoiler from FrogVenom. They are supposed to be available at the end of August.
IL_Pete (08-18-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:49 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

GT4 Ducktail Spoilers - Carbon Fiber and Primered ready to paint

Ready to ship
Received the OEM GT4 side scoops and these are being shipped out today. Just waiting for the GT4 front bumper from Flat 6 so we can start the conversion on my GTS/4 Touring !!

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-21-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:29 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Is there a Gurney Flap that fits the Cayman Ducktail?

Old 08-21-2023, 03:37 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by j-dub
Is there a Gurney Flap that fits the Cayman Ducktail?
That’s a really good question. Not one that I have seen but you started an idea. What about using the gurney flap from the Spyder RS? I wonder if it just uses tape to attach to the spoiler. Both spoilers are the same length, maybe ??

Quick Reply: Building a "GT4 Touring"...