Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 11:12 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
The current price for a 4RS does put one into the "Wow I could have bought a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank)" mode.
718 forum' post of the year
worth alone a dedicared thread

Last edited by fxz; 12-28-2023 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
168glhs1986 (05-20-2024)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
The current price for a 4RS does put one into the "Wow I could have bought a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank)" mode.
Originally Posted by cooler2442
Yup, lots of choices in the 250k range(if you're buying a PTS, WP, Mag, PCCB, top tier spec 4RS). I still decided to go 4RS and don't have any regrets.
ROK, take away the stoopid $$$ and all your left with is "Wow I could have bought a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank)".
Old 12-29-2023, 12:17 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 169 Posts

Sounds like people have covered the running costs potential differences. Someone mentioned how expensive bumpers are if you have a fender bender so you may also want to get insurance quotes ahead of making your decision as well.

I'll come out of the gate saying I've never driven a McLaren but am very interested in trying one. I drive a GT4 and have driven an 4RS a couple times. I would say if you can actually get some seat time in the cars then try your best to do so. Even if it has to just be a handful of right turns right back into the dealership. The GT4s are immensely capable but you may miss the steering feel of a hydraulic assisted rack like the McLaren has. Some people don't care and others it's a huge importance. Even leaving aside the fact that one has a biturbo V8 and the other is an n/a Flat 6. And the numerous other differences. But that's what intrigues me most. More power than a 911 Turbo, less weight than the Porsches, and it's retained a hydraulic steering rack.
911therapy (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 02:31 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Perhaps i'm an outlier....

For background, I am a Porsche lover. I currently have three generations of 911 Turbos and enjoy them all and drive them all frequently.
  • 1985 930 Turbo scratches the vintage car, zero computers, must adapt driving style to the car itch.
  • 2001 996 Turbo scratches the visceral track and fast canyon car itch. Yes, it's pretty modified and perhaps more GT2 than Turbo at this point. In fast canyons, I love it. When I track it, It makes me want to be a better driver, and can run all day with zero hiccups.
  • 2014 991 Turbo. Scratches the do everything incredibly well and do it at mind-blowing speeds itch. Daily drive it, cross country it, take it to the track, it does it all (also modified). While the 996 Turbo makes me want to be a better driver, the 991 Turbo makes me feel like I'm a better driver. If there is any complaint, it's that it is too good and not as engaging as cars that make you work harder to drive.
<flame suit on> Had a GT4RS for a while earlier this year. Did not love it. On track it handled extremely well, but the power for me is kind of meh (first due to my Turbo calibrated brain and second due to altitude). More importantly, I found it just tiring to drive for any length of time, and it gave me a headache with that intake raspyness inches from my head. <flame suit off>

Traded the 4RS for a 2020 Mclaren 720S with Track Pack and I freaking love it. LOVE IT. Best road car I've ever driven, and ridiculously capable on the track. Engaging, visceral, incredibly capable, ungodly quick, telepathic handling, and comfortable to drive. I do think one with the Track Pack option is worth hunting down if you want something that is more in the GT2RS/GT3RS/GT4RS vein.

I've also driven the 600LT and 675LT. I prefer the 720S with track pack with carbon buckets. The LT cars are fun, but have a few flaws that i didn't love... In particular, their ridiculously large turning radius and complete lack of rearward visibility (and no backup camera???). It's a major flaw that you might not realize until you get 2/3 of the way around a u-turn and have to back up blind to complete it...

Plus/Minus on the Mclaren:
  • Depreciation is high in the first few years, which IMHO just creates great buying opportunities for a lightly used CPO Mclaren.
  • Warranty coverage can be extended for about $5K/yr.
  • Annual service costs are maybe 30% more than Porsche dealer service (which is to say, overpriced in both cases).
  • Reliability has been great for the 9 months I've owned it.
  • Parts availability is a bit of a pain in the ***, not a dozen online OE resellers, you pretty much have to go through the dealer.
  • Living reasonably close to a quality Mclaren dealer can make all the difference in the ownership experience.
  • Finding the right insurance carrier is more difficult on the Mclaren than the Porsches of similar value, but once you get it figured out, cost is reasonable.

----
Am I selling all my Porsches and going strictly Mclaren? No.

Do I think a 720S is a hands-down better fast canyon and occasional track day car than the GT4RS at similar current values? Yes.

I certainly expect opinions to vary, world would be pretty boring if we all liked and disliked the exact same things.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-29-2023 at 03:04 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by pfbz:
alwaysdriving (01-04-2024), BabyNSX (12-30-2023), Brainofjjj (01-03-2024), michaelp (01-03-2024), Mike981S (04-16-2024), SleepyCyclist (12-29-2023), sur5or (05-22-2024), UncleDude (12-29-2023), Wild1 (01-04-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2023, 03:57 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
718 forum' post of the year
worth alone a dedicared thread
sure when performance is secondary and $ always dictates which car is better. Sure.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:12 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
sure when performance is secondary and $ always dictates which car is better. Sure.
My original comment was somewhat "tongue in cheek" as I bought a 4RS. I thought about a 600LT but tracking a Porsche GT car is a known quantity to me and with the CPO I don't have to worry about BS inspections or extended warranties.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
Brainofjjj (12-29-2023), TOporschefan (12-29-2023)
Old 01-02-2024, 10:45 PM
RizAGT3
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 600LT spider and have a 992 GT3. Am looking to trade in the gt3 for an 4RS. I live in Long Island, NY and close to a Mac dealer (McLaren Long Island) so pre/post track aren’t a nuisance and inspections are $250 each. The pre track inspection is good for up to 30 days and the post inspection can be done after multiple track days. I have about 3k track miles on the 600LT total about 11k miles (bought the car with 6k miles). It has been absolutely bullet proof. I prefer the 600LT to the 992 gt3 on track, other than me being significantly faster in the 600LT, I prefer the mid engine balance.

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Most of us likely do some sort of pre and post track event maintenance anyway. However, having it be mandated to keep the extended warranty is uncool. Current pricing is about $800 per inspection even if the car needs nothing.

I haven’t driven the GT4RS yet (probably won’t get it until 2024Q3). But 2 of 7 of the McLarens I have had were 675 LT coupes. They are definitely special and amazing cars.

It very much depends on what you’re looking for. Rock solid, “simple”, naturally aspirated engine characteristics, cool intake sound, much stronger independent shops support would be strong plus on the GT4RS side (I am using extrapolation from 992.1 GT3T).

Incredible chassis and steering, lightweight, very powerful, boosted characteristics, attention grabbing are strong points of the 675LT.

If one intends to drive a 675LT, it’s around US$10k annually just for extended warranty (price going up in 2024), annual mandatory service, and insurance (assuming you get good rates). $1600 per track event pre & post inspection, consumables (can add up quick as the car is a monster if you use all the performance), running cost is easily 2x the GT4RS.
Wild1 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:39 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

My friend has driven every McLaren including the F1. He says the 675 LT is the ONE to buy.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:52 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I really appreciate this thread, I've been hunting for a 4RS to replace my .1 3RS. Everyone in my track group tells me not to replace my 911 and that the 4RS is a weaker track platform overall but great for a weekend mountain car.
With that said, i had no idea the 600LT and 720S were in the same price category and frankly never shopped them. I'm now thinking i should go drive them. My main worry is maintenance costs for the McLaren and having to use the dealer. Luckily i'm in Dallas and there's a dealer nearby. I only track my RS 5-6 days per year so nothing huge but i can maintain the RS on my own and have 3 reputable shops within 10 mins.
Thanks in advance for more stories and thoughts you can share.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:03 PM
RizAGT3
AutoX

In my experience, the McLarens just feels in a different league on track. If you do decide to go this route, you can negotiate a 2 year extended service contract with the Mac dealer as part of the deal. Just know that a brake fluid flush is gonna run you $400 and a pre/post track inspection is $250 each. Brake pads are quite expensive and I run it quite hard, so I swapped out for the girodiscs.

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
I really appreciate this thread, I've been hunting for a 4RS to replace my .1 3RS. Everyone in my track group tells me not to replace my 911 and that the 4RS is a weaker track platform overall but great for a weekend mountain car.
With that said, i had no idea the 600LT and 720S were in the same price category and frankly never shopped them. I'm now thinking i should go drive them. My main worry is maintenance costs for the McLaren and having to use the dealer. Luckily i'm in Dallas and there's a dealer nearby. I only track my RS 5-6 days per year so nothing huge but i can maintain the RS on my own and have 3 reputable shops within 10 mins.
Brainofjjj (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:46 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,001 Likes on 416 Posts

They aren’t in the same price category, IMO. Initial purchase price, perhaps, but that’s where the similarities end.

Brand new GT4 RS in the states comes with 4 years of factory warranty…additional years of factory warranty added at time of purchase should average to about $1k for each additional year depending on length of extension purchased.

I’m a big fan of McLarens, especially the LT cars. But they are supercars, which come with supercar ownership costs. They are fast! And great driving experiences for street or track. And for the street, no Porsche GT variant can compete for presence or excitement.

The GT4 RS is a terrific car for the track. It has different characteristics vs the GT3 platform, but no less fun…and super rewarding when you hit times that are close to or equivalent to the fastest times out there.

Would I buy and regularly track a McLaren LT or 620R? Yes, absolutely, but it is a different price bracket for a reason, and one just needs to be prepared.

Last edited by KelvinC; 01-03-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Mike981S (04-16-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:52 PM
RizAGT3
AutoX

100% agreed.

Originally Posted by KelvinC
They aren’t in the same price category, IMO. Initial purchase price, perhaps, but that’s where the similarities end.

Brand new GT4 RS in the states comes with 4 years of factory warranty…additional years of factory warranty added at time of purchase should average to about $1k for each additional year depending on length of extension purchased.

I’m a big fan of McLarens, especially the LT cars. But they are supercars, which come with supercar ownership costs. They are fast! And great driving experiences for street or track. And for the street, and no Porsche GT variant can compete for presence or excitement.

The GT4 RS is a terrific car for the track. It has different characteristics vs the GT3 platform, but no less fun…and super rewarding when you hit times that are close to or equivalent to the fastest times out there.

Would I buy and regularly track a McLaren LT or 620R? Yes, absolutely, but it is a different price bracket for a reason, and one just needs to be prepared.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,503 Posts

... i had no idea the 600LT and 720S were in the same price category....
They are not.

The 675LT and 720S have similar price points, and both are "Super Series" cars. The 600LT is less expensive and a "Sport Series" car. There are many differences, but the main differences is Super Series cars have more power and the active Ohlins/Tenneco cross-linked suspension.

Mclaren product line and history is a bit confusing, but excluding the "Ultimate Series" and other special production cars..

Super Series:
- 12C -> 650S -> 720S -> 750S
- 675LT is 'long tail' version of 650S
- 765LT is 'long tail' version of 720S
- No long tail version of the 12C or 750S (yet)

Sport Series:
- 540S -> 570S -> GTS
- 600LT ('long tail' version of the 570S)
- 620R (kind of an oddball, kind of an improved version of the 600LT but with Super Series power.
- GT (hatchback/GT version of 570S)

Hybrid:
- Artura*
*Artura is hybrid, really more of a Sport Series than Super Series with steel suspension, but I think largely due to the price, Mclaren now calls it a "Super" instead of a "Sport"

Last edited by pfbz; 01-03-2024 at 08:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pfbz:
Mike981S (04-16-2024), silverscooby27 (04-16-2024), TheBucketOfTruth (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

I have a 570 GT, several Porsches, and 4RS on order. Porsches are great, but IMO the McLaren is next level. I haven't any costly issues on mine with about 2k miles on it, but even if I eventually do, it's worth it - the car is THAT good. And it also cost me way less than 4RS.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:53 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

If money is no object since we are comparing these 2 very appealing cars to own and drive. i would end up with the 600LT with roof scoop and comfort seats.

but again subject to having extended warranty for it and controlling my patients when it comes to service a fault with it.

if i'm careful i would choose the 4RS as i'm a fan not just of the brand but also having driven almost most of their GTs including the Turbo S and seeing lots of Mclarens breaking down even in the streets because of electric faults mostly is to be caution of.

driving thrile is a big deal and part of owning a great sports car, which many of them lacks

Quick Reply: GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT