Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 07:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Thats crazy to hear that a McLaren is more comfortable on a long hard drive than a Porsche. I felt my GT4 was really comfortable to be hones. I do plan on eventually getting a used 750S, or whatever equivalent is out by the time i have the money, so its definitely something really cool to look forward to.
My McLaren 570 GT is more comfortable than any of my Porsche sports cars, even with the dampers in the firmest (race) setting. The 570 is also, for me, subjectively, more fun to drive on the road than the 4RS, by a substantial margin.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:25 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
750s really feels like end-game car for normal car guys(provided you don't mind the look & won't scream like na car)
Agree with this 100%.

It is FAR more comfortable than a porsche, even over bumpy city streets, in comfort chassis the ride is about equal to a range rover.

i dont know what an aston valkarie feels like to drive, but i cant imagine its a "chuckable" as a mclaren/gt4/mx5

Old 06-26-2024, 08:58 PM
sbrsport
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GentianGentleman
Agree with this 100%.

It is FAR more comfortable than a porsche, even over bumpy city streets, in comfort chassis the ride is about equal to a range rover.

i dont know what an aston valkarie feels like to drive, but i cant imagine its a "chuckable" as a mclaren/gt4/mx5
Just got an SRS (about 400 miles now), and also have an Artura. Also drove a 675LT for about 2 hours. The SRS and the Artura are completely different cars.

The Artura is way faster, way sharper steering feel, and way more comfortable (although I do not find the SRS uncomfortable at all).

The SRS is more old school, way better sound, and doesn't have doors that open like scissors. I really like the feel of the way it drives. I drive the SRS to work about half the time (other half is a AMG wagon), and would never drive the McLaren to work as it would get way too much attention. So they both serve their purposes.

The 675LT is the best car I have ever driven. I will get one at some point. It has everything I like in a car. I got the Artura instead because of the warranty, and because I live in Topanga and like that I can drive in and out in electric mode and not have the whole canyon hear me.

Just for the hell of it, the order of favorite cars I have had/driven for significant time (didn't own the first two):

675LT (just an incredible car - the noise, the steering, the speed, the slam of the shifts)
Ferrari Scuderia (drove a friends for some time - definitely not for daily use)
SRS (great all around useability in a really special car - and the sound - still haven't been above 7k revs so maybe it will move up on the list)
Artura (Super comfortable and incredibly fast - easily daily driveable)
Deman Spyder (incredible car - way more torque down low than the SRS - royal pain in the *** in California with the requirement of 98 octane and impossible to smog)
2016 GT3RS
2016 Spyder
The rest of them

Last edited by sbrsport; 06-26-2024 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yc911Kid (06-30-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:35 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrsport
Just got an SRS (about 400 miles now), and also have an Artura. Also drove a 675LT for about 2 hours. The SRS and the Artura are completely different cars.

The Artura is way faster, way sharper steering feel, and way more comfortable (although I do not find the SRS uncomfortable at all).

The SRS is more old school, way better sound, and doesn't have doors that open like scissors. I really like the feel of the way it drives. I drive the SRS to work about half the time (other half is a AMG wagon), and would never drive the McLaren to work as it would get way too much attention. So they both serve their purposes.

The 675LT is the best car I have ever driven. I will get one at some point. It has everything I like in a car. I got the Artura instead because of the warranty, and because I live in Topanga and like that I can drive in and out in electric mode and not have the whole canyon hear me.

Just for the hell of it, the order of favorite cars I have had/driven for significant time (didn't own the first two):

675LT (just an incredible car - the noise, the steering, the speed, the slam of the shifts)
Ferrari Scuderia (drove a friends for some time - definitely not for daily use)
SRS (great all around useability in a really special car - and the sound - still haven't been above 7k revs so maybe it will move up on the list)
Artura (Super comfortable and incredibly fast - easily daily driveable)
Deman Spyder (incredible car - way more torque down low than the SRS - royal pain in the *** in California with the requirement of 98 octane and impossible to smog)
2016 GT3RS
2016 Spyder
The rest of them
My srs arrives this august but I had a 4rs earlier & have experienced all spyders (owning a 987 still) so I kind of know what that car is about already. I'm estimating keeping the srs for several months/3k miles that kind of usage but for me 987 spyder is my keeper porsche.

675 is very charming in terms of look/steering/driver communication/speed etc. I've ~1500miles on it main complaints is tall gearing(top of 2nd is mid 80 3rd is way over 100)/ slow lift/huge turning radius/back up camera has worst pic quality you can imagine which I know beforehand but still a pita when you get to live with it. 750s fixed all these issues then some, it's just wild.

mclaren is the car I'll drive to work too, don't really care what others think

Last edited by Yc911Kid; 06-26-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:50 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

resist is futile & got a 750s coming

Last edited by Yc911Kid; 06-30-2024 at 02:53 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
BabyNSX (06-30-2024), fasteddie99 (07-01-2024), Mike981S (06-30-2024), pfbz (07-01-2024), Snowy999 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:38 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I bought a 2018 McLaren 570 GT with 8,300 miles on it, not CPO, for $160k. I'm the third owner. Second owner bought the car as a CPO. I had the service records from the prior two owners, and the car had been reliable. In the year I've owned it, I've put about 3k miles on it, often driving it hard, and the car has been reliable, no issues. I have an independent shop near me which can service McLarens, and I just did the annual service for a cost of a few hundred dollars. So financially overall, I think the car is a win, since the operating/maintenance cost is low, and the car is unlikely to have much further depreciation. And from a driving standpoint (on the road), I think the McLaren is much more fun to drive than the 4RS.
Consider yourself lucky. just wondering if you will have same enthusiasm when a major repair comes up and it will. Financial win and McLaren should not be in the same sentence.

a friend owned a 675 LT which most consider as close to perfect and only 765 LT is better for pure raw driving experience. He sold after 2 yrs. Car was rarely tracked most just canyon drives and visceral but then the repair costs came. Car broke down on one of those drives with our group and car was always in and out of the shop afterwards. I also wanted to get 675 LT and he begged me to consider 😀

thing is one McLean experience is completely different than another. One car could be fine and another a basket case. With Porsche, you know exactly what you get and you know you can thrash the hell out of the car and it will be ok. 4RS is not in the same league as a 675 LT. not even close. 675 LT is a much better car for performance, experience and just about everything except reliability and dealer access.

Last edited by Engro; 06-30-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Mike981S (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:51 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Engro
Consider yourself lucky. just wondering if you will have same enthusiasm when a major repair comes up and it will. Financial win and McLaren should not be in the same sentence.

a friend owned a 675 LT which most consider as close to perfect and only 765 LT is better for pure raw driving experience. He sold after 2 yrs. Car was rarely tracked most just canyon drives and visceral but then the repair costs came. Car broke down on one of those drives with our group and car was always in and out of the shop afterwards. I also wanted to get 675 LT and he begged me to consider 😀

thing is one McLean experience is completely different than another. One car could be fine and another a basket case. With Porsche, you know exactly what you get and you know you can thrash the hell out of the car and it will be ok. 4RS is not in the same league as a 675 LT. not even close. 675 LT is a much better car for performance, experience and just about everything except reliability and dealer access.

a lot of people like yourself chime in on car forums and social media who have “friends” who seem to own Mclarens .

They seem to always be the counter point to people who have significant ownership of cars that cost substantially more then Porsches
The following 2 users liked this post by yesyoucan:
Bents (06-30-2024), pfbz (07-01-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 05:07 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
a lot of people like yourself chime in on car forums and social media who have “friends” who seem to own Mclarens .

They seem to always be the counter point to people who have significant ownership of cars that cost substantially more then Porsches
1st. I am not on social media. 2nd. It’s free world and we are allowed to comment on cars no permission required. 3rd. I drove the 675LT of my friend and it was a visceral experience at least for me so much so I wanted one.
I never said I owned one but gave my opinion since we are again allowed to give one without permission. 4th. Go pound sand
Old 06-30-2024, 06:05 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

I started chatting with a 675LT owner at a car meet and he threw me the keys to go take it for a spin. I was incredibly impressed with the car - all the compliments said in this thread ring true. Raw, visceral, telepathic steering… I had told myself no more turbo cars but the 675LT is one I’d make an exception for. The car had 55K miles and the owner daily drove it with no issues.

I have also heard first hand accounts from other owners that their 675LT were POS.

If I could get CPO one I’d consider keeping one within the warranty period but wouldn’t trust owning one otherwise. Not expecting my incoming 4RS to be a similar experience, they are very different cars.
Old 06-30-2024, 06:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Engro

3k miles on my 570 and I haven't had any issues. If it needs repairs, I have a local independent shop that can do the work at much lower cost than a dealer. I'm the third owner of my car, second owner bought it as a CPO. I have the service records for the car, and it hasn't had issues, so I'm not worried about issues in the future. If the car needs to be fixed, I'll get it fixed, not that big of a deal. The car is so good that it's worth the 'risk' of repair costs.
Old 06-30-2024, 08:25 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 276 Posts

Amen
Old 06-30-2024, 08:33 PM
D L Davis
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always the GT4 RS
Old 07-01-2024, 04:35 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Exactly. To which the response really should be "Cool story, Bro!", wink, and just move on.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-01-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,335 Likes on 756 Posts

I think it's a bit funny comparing reliability between Porsche and McLaren. Everyone says here that with Porsche you know you're getting something reliable that you can thrash it around. My experience unfortunetly was not that way and my GT4 ended up being a lemon. Now obviously this was a rare occasion and PCNA took care of me very well. But just had a small chuckle when i read that.

I do REALLY want a McLaren though and i think i'll buy used rather than new as with enough service records maybe i can snag one that didnt have too many issues and it will stay that way. I've only ever driven a 570S and for me it felt surprisingly similar to my S2000 just with 400 more hp and a TON of torque. I knew right then and there i was going to eventually buy one.
Manifold (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 06:33 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm on the same boat as you @Xxyion I had problems with my 718 GT4, but it was more due to negligence from the dealer that serviced my car. PCNA took care of me and now I am in a 4RS.

I did want a mclaren as well since I had driven my friends 720S and the power was absolutely insane. Steering was great as well, but I did miss the NA sounds. It's funny for reliability since he never had any problems with his 720s, but our other friend had a ton of problems with his 570s. Guess its just how lucky you are.
Xxyion (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS vs Mclaren 675LT