Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

BMC air filters and self install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 06:15 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
You think the majority of RSs are driven on track? More than not will actually never see a track. Rather they'll be driven to an icecream parlor, starbucks, etc.
I disagree. I think most of them will alternate between sitting in a heated garage and going to C&C.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:53 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Lol, not quite that simple
Surely it adapts for temperature, elevation, etc. which is a wider range than what a higher flow air filter will impact.
Old 06-24-2023, 01:00 PM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

If the ECU cannot adapt, then you will need to explain how the close loop deal with elevation change. For every 1000 ft gain in elevation, you loose 1 inHg. In CO, there are passes at 10000 ft, that is a reduction of 10 inHg. For a numerical example, 30 inHg barometric pressure would be 20 inHg at this altitude; which is a 1/3 reduction in air density. Or are you saying close loop cannot handle a 30 - 40 percent change in input.

We alsohave a MAF which will tell the ECU more air is coming in. This will tell the ECU to put in more fuel pre-ignition. So we have both pre-ignition and post-ignition data for the ECU to compensate such that your engine will not run dangerously lean.

BTW, I have log the lambda value during close loop control, after installing my BMC filter, and I do not see it running lean. Never even saw lambda approaching 1. It was always less than 1. So the close loop is working as expected. It may not be the absolute optimal, but the ECU will be pretty darn close.

Last edited by planolemans; 06-24-2023 at 01:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by planolemans:
coldfire (06-26-2023), j-dub (06-25-2023), matt0520 (06-04-2024), Ramon Vennik (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 01:43 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Banana S
I'm surprised that I never seem to hear much about these alternatives to the BMC filters, which are made by Verus Engineering, a small engineering firm here in Indianapolis that does a LOT of work for Indycar teams and other race teams, as well as making retail performance parts that they sell online. The shop is owned by a couple Purdue graduates, and my son--an engineering student at Purdue himself--interned with them last year. They do their own product development, as well as real-world testing at my local track, Putnam Park. Anyway, just in case anyone was looking for a different, non-oiled alternative to the BMC or paper filters, here you go...

Verus Engineering air filters
Banana S,

There is actually a Really-really good reason why !!!

They DON'T FIT that's why you don't see us posting about using them.
Just so you know the information on their Web-Site is incorrect.

See links below:

These do fit exactly as they should guys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18301213

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18222321

These Do-Not fit so don't waste your money.

Read the Porsche invoices below .............

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18125041

Terry
Old 06-25-2023, 11:06 AM
Banana S
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Banana S,

[...]
Interesting... Thanks for sharing that information. I did a search and don't see anyone else having that issue. I was just talking with one of the owners of Verus yesterday at a Cars & Coffee event. Did you contact them about the issue? If so, what was their response? I'd be VERY surprised if they wouldn't take steps to make it right, or revise the product if there really is a fitment or sealing issue, if that issue was brought to their attention. I'm not interested in oiled filters (been there, done that), but I was planning on getting these Verus filters (with my son's discount!) some time after the car arrives in the next couple weeks. Did you return the filters to Verus or to the vendor that you purchased them from?
Old 06-25-2023, 01:49 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Banana S,

Just so you know the information on their Web-Site is incorrect.

See links below:

These do fit exactly as they should guys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18301213

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18222321

These Do-Not fit so don't waste your money.

Read the Porsche invoices below .............

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18125041

Terry
Originally Posted by Banana S
Interesting... Thanks for sharing that information. I did a search and don't see anyone else having that issue. I was just talking with one of the owners of Verus yesterday at a Cars & Coffee event. Did you contact them about the issue? If so, what was their response? I'd be VERY surprised if they wouldn't take steps to make it right, or revise the product if there really is a fitment or sealing issue, if that issue was brought to their attention. I'm not interested in oiled filters (been there, done that), but I was planning on getting these Verus filters (with my son's discount!) some time after the car arrives in the next couple weeks. Did you return the filters to Verus or to the vendor that you purchased them from?
Banana S,

That was a Very-very long time ago but I'll try to give you what I recall.

The dealer I actually ordered the Verus intake filters from said they were using the information supplied by Verus to them as them being a legit Verus Dealer.

I then called Verus and this is what was BEYOND crazy ............
The guy I spoke with said the information he was seeing said they should fit the Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 !!!
Obviously, I pushed it and fully explained what took place when the Porsche dealer's (Shop Foreman) Nick attempted to install the Verus intake filters.
In-Fact, I read him exactly what Nick had said on my copy of the Porsche Repair Order.

So, you asked what actually happened and I will add the following.
No matter who I talked with all the replies always came back that they should fit just like the Stock Porsche intake-filters.

My STRONG-ADVICE to you and anyone else is to RUN don't walk from those VERUS intake filters as they Damn sure Don't Fit CORRECTLY.

I just found some additional images I'll share with you.
Also, luckily, once I talked with the (Owner) of Flat 6 Motorsports he immediately said ship them back to my attention for a Full Refund !!!
And I did receive a Full-Refund.

Jon, was the guy I spoke to at Verus and even E-Mailed him the below to show him that the filters are NOT even Listed for the Porsche Cayman 718 GT4.
Which then makes perfect sense why they didn't fit.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-25-2023 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: BMC air filters and self install