Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 11:30 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,317 Likes on 2,176 Posts

Originally Posted by BDonaher
Agreed with all those points. Another thing (Canada specific) that hasn’t really been discussed is the new Luxury Tax. It affects new cars to the tune of 15k or so but CPO aren’t subject to it.
While that is technically true, once the tax was announced the dealers pretty much added it directly to the value of the used cars.
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 11:39 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 311 Posts

For people who got an allocation at MSRP, it’s great. I looked for a manual Boxster GTS 4.0 on Car Gurus and there are about a dozen nationwide in the US. All above MSRP for used ones. Some substantially higher. Supply still is an issue. I wouldn’t pay above MSRP for a new one let alone a used one built to someone else’s specifications.
The following 2 users liked this post by subwoofer:
kwikit356 (02-15-2023), X2Board (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 11:53 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
I would agree. The recession will affect lower income households proportionately more, not those that are buying toys like GT4's. There are more than enough cash buyers for these cars that interest rates dont affect the purchasing decision. Used car prices overall are not declining at a linear rate at all either, auction prices as reported on Bloomberg based on Mannheim data actually increased 2.5% in January. A lot of cooking model cars are still selling well over MSRP

Allocations have not been easy to get. The lack of allocations will push everyone back into the used market, having quite the opposite effect on pricing. In terms of competition the GT4 really doesn't have much, .
Any reduction in demand will reduce the market clearing price, and fewer buyers, finance or not, means less demand. And smart cash buyers will recognize this and wait things out, further contributing to downward pricing pressures.

Also, as with prior generations, as you get to the end of the run, the effect of much of the demand being satisfied starts to take effect and prices drop. It’s obvious that’s happening, though not to the level hoped by most naysayers. IMO, this isn’t due so much to unusual demand relative to prior years, but more due to sellers unwilling to lower prices yet due to the premiums they paid for the cars. A lot of sellers seem content to sit on their cars for a long time at the moment.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:38 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Any reduction in demand will reduce the market clearing price, and fewer buyers, finance or not, means less demand. And smart cash buyers will recognize this and wait things out, further contributing to downward pricing pressures.

Also, as with prior generations, as you get to the end of the run, the effect of much of the demand being satisfied starts to take effect and prices drop. It’s obvious that’s happening, though not to the level hoped by most naysayers. IMO, this isn’t due so much to unusual demand relative to prior years, but more due to sellers unwilling to lower prices yet due to the premiums they paid for the cars. A lot of sellers seem content to sit on their cars for a long time at the moment.
This is not the same market as any other generation. It's also very questionable whether demand has been met, supply is still certainly very low. The only time you could walk into a dealer and buy a 718 GT4 at MSRP was April - October 2020. People are not selling because there is nothing else to buy that offers the recipe the GT4 does. Sitting waiting to buy at this point is not going to yield much if anything in my view, hence why I bought one. The folks in the 'real' economy are being squeezed by inflation everywhere. But folks buying GT4's? Really not much if at all. Now the GT3 market, potentially different. Because to pay $100k ADM's your in a different stratosphere of buyer, hence 992 GT3 prices have already dropped significantly. But at $15k over for a GT4? Much more in reach. I suspect these cars will never fall materially below MSRP unless they are outliers in terms of mileage etc. I guess time will tell, regardless I don't care as I'll be busy driving it
CDACH (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 01:43 PM
bravoraider
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

This is not the same market as any other generation. It's also very questionable whether demand has been met, supply is still certainly very low. The only time you could walk into a dealer and buy a 718 GT4 at MSRP was April - October 2020. People are not selling because there is nothing else to buy that offers the recipe the GT4 does. Sitting waiting to buy at this point is not going to yield much if anything in my view, hence why I bought one. The folks in the 'real' economy are being squeezed by inflation everywhere. But folks buying GT4's? Really not much if at all. Now the GT3 market, potentially different. Because to pay $100k ADM's your in a different stratosphere of buyer, hence 992 GT3 prices have already dropped significantly. But at $15k over for a GT4? Much more in reach. I suspect these cars will never fall materially below MSRP unless they are outliers in terms of mileage etc. I guess time will tell, regardless I don't care as I'll be busy driving it
Agreed, all great points.

This coupled with next gen being full electric.

Having a naturally asperated manual car is already a rare thing in todays market.

Montaver (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 02:08 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

All true, and good observations. We're in an unusual situation, with no known replacement for these cars at current prices, and really little if any direct competition for them. If you take a typically optioned GT4 or Spyder at an msrp of around $120,000 or so, what would you replace it with at anything near that price that would be desirable? As a driver's car, the 911 doesn't really interest me or compete until you get to the GT3 level, and of course the far higher prices they demand. I just don't see anything out there in a new or nearly new sportscar that would really interest a GT4/Spyder driver enough to part with their car. Unless Porsche changes course from what many of us expect, and releases a 2024/2025+ refreshed ICE GT4/Spyder vehicle in this general price range, I can't imagine why the prices for these cars would decline much. My MB 2020 718 Spyder is worth more to me than it's original msrp, and so I'm certainly not selling it at all...or at least for less than the $125k I have in it. It would cost me much more to acquire anything I'd find nearly as desirable. And then there is the factor that letting go of the car you ordered to your specs means you can never have another one. So I imagine most owners will either hold onto their cars, or at least won't sell for anything substantially less than the msrp.
The following 2 users liked this post by vince993tt:
GTSPYDER23 (02-13-2023), Montaver (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 05:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Youre kidding yourself if you think a lot of GT4 buyers don’t finance their cars. It’s not a billionaire baller car. And the market is actually not that dissimilar to the 981, where ADMs were the norm right up to the end and then the secondary market trended down. The difference is I think it will be slower this time, but it’s already happening. People counting on getting them 20% under sticker anytime soon are fooling themselves, as are those thinking they can sell for 20% over.

I sold mine back to my dealer at sticker a while back when I lost my storage spot, and I would not buy it back at sticker today if offered. And I could easily pay cash for any GT car I wanted.

Last edited by Archimedes; 02-13-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:30 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 248 Posts

Youre kidding yourself if you think a lot of GT4 buyers don’t finance their cars. It’s not a billionaire baller car. And the market is actually not that dissimilar to the 981, where ADMs were the norm right up to the end and then the secondary market trended down. The difference is I think it will be slower this time, but it’s already happening. People counting on getting them 20% under sticker anytime soon are fooling themselves, as are those thinking they can sell for 20% over.

I sold mine back to my dealer at sticker a while back when I lost my storage spot, and I would not buy it back at sticker today if offered. And I could easily pay cash for any GT car I wanted.
Not really sure what your point is. And no, I am not 'kidding myself'. I am merely offering a view on the market based on what is happening at this current moment. I spend all day in the financial markets, I am very familiar with how financing works old chap. You think guys who financed at 2.5% are going to flood the market with inventory? And buy what exactly? A Miata? A corvette z06 at 7% and $100k ADM? A used E46 M3 for $70k? There are multiple persistent macro and market factors which significantly alter values (inflation, supply chain, interest rates, move to electric cars, lack of competitive alternatives) that were not materially present in 2016.
The following 2 users liked this post by Montaver:
lilbza (02-13-2023), pinion (02-13-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 12:03 AM
BDonaher
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/...n=show_details

Is this roof wrapped ? I didn’t realize you could option a black roof. I do quite like the look tho..
Old 02-14-2023, 10:15 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 142 Posts

Disregard - duplicate.

Last edited by Holdens; 02-14-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:01 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 815 Posts

Archimedes,

You're kidding yourself if you think a lot of GT4 buyers don’t finance their cars.
$296.50 cents per month for 72-months this fellow.

Terry
Old 02-14-2023, 01:15 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 800 Posts

Youre kidding yourself if you think a lot of GT4 buyers don’t finance their cars.
That's a bit ambiguous. I feel pretty confident saying "a lot of GT4 buyers don't finance their cars." I feel less confident saying not a lot of GT4 owners finance their cars.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:19 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by BDonaher
https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/...n=show_details

Is this roof wrapped ? I didn’t realize you could option a black roof. I do quite like the look tho..
It is a +$50k option which is why that price is so ridiculous .
Old 02-14-2023, 01:27 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 934 Likes on 437 Posts

Wish I had financed mine at 2.5% percent now that treasury yields are over 5%. Paying cash is costing me around $6,000/YR in loss of use of that money. That said, it’s pretty sweet not to owe anyone anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
kwikit356 (02-15-2023), tigerhonaker (02-15-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 01:27 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
It is a +$50k option which is why that price is so ridiculous .
Are you serious? $50K? What's it made of?

Quick Reply: New/Used Inventory GT4, Spyder, GTS for Sale