Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 06:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by 718socal
Unfortunately, I haven't found the setting to adjust the tilting angle. There is a setting for the memory package in the door modules. Maybe tilting angle can be saved to the memory button. It would be nice to have a video of the Spyder top close via remote.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that I think I can do !!! I'll make one next weekend at the Boxster Brunch when some of us N.Ca 718's are planning on meeting up!

def need to find some way to code the tilt angle for the Spyder ... it only moves a fraction currently not enough to make it useful for reversing!

btw there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6EOdjuB_s
And there is this: SmartTop and the 718 Spyder - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Which is essentially the same because the SmartTop module uses factory coding to do what it does!

The following users liked this post:
718socal (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:51 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 379 Posts

So I did do a search within this thread for exhaust, but I didn’t see anything…
Can it be programmed for the following?
Binoculars lit, valves open.
Binoculars light off, valves closed
Either way, on is open, off is closed (unless exhaust pressure opens as noted in Matt Farrah’s vid).
This and the key fob top closure (solved) are the two changes I want.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
And there is this: SmartTop and the 718 Spyder - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Which is essentially the same because the SmartTop module uses factory coding to do what it does!

https://youtu.be/oEfBFoz7ccA
But this has nothing to do with reverse mirror tilt
Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Either way, on is open, off is closed (unless exhaust pressure opens as noted in Matt Farrah’s vid).
This and the key fob top closure (solved) are the two changes I want.

Thanks in advance.
For the exhaust, I would recommend the Cargraphic valve controller 3 mode.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:23 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
But this has nothing to do with reverse mirror tilt
He was responding to my request for Spyder top close via remote video

Last edited by 718socal; 01-29-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Larry Cable (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 08:49 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 718socal
For the exhaust, I would recommend the Cargraphic valve controller 3 mode.
But I don’t think that’s how DeMan is doing it.
I know didly squat about this stuff, just trying to understand why not.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This and the key fob top closure (solved) are the two changes I want. Thanks in advance.
I don't believe this is correct, I am not sure Matt described correctly how the exhaust buttons were programed. Remember the valves are open by default, vacuum closes them so they should already be open unless the system is trying to keep them closed, IIRC on the CG 3-mode is set-up to do this but even CG recommends against using this at higher RPM.

You don't want the valves to be closed over 4000 RPM, and I wouldn't rely on exhaust gas pressure to force them open at that RPM. Factory programming opens them around the 3800-4000 RPM mark otherwise there is excessive exhaust gas pressure, I find if I want valves open the CG does this and they are open for the entire range. I you could program the console button to be ON= valves always open and OFF= valves to be closed until 3800-4000 RPM and then open, that would be the safest option.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:14 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I don't believe this is correct, I am not sure Matt described correctly how the exhaust buttons were programed. Remember the valves are open by default, vacuum closes them so they should already be open unless the system is trying to keep them closed, IIRC on the CG 3-mode is set-up to do this but even CG recommends against using this at higher RPM.

You don't want the valves to be closed over 4000 RPM, and I wouldn't rely on exhaust gas pressure to force them open at that RPM. Factory programming opens them around the 3800-4000 RPM mark otherwise there is excessive exhaust gas pressure, I find if I want valves open the CG does this and they are open for the entire range. I you could program the console button to be ON= valves always open and OFF= valves to be closed until 3800-4000 RPM and then open, that would be the safest option.
Sorry, not buying what you’re saying here. 4K’s nuthin’… and just to be clear, it’s by choice *when* desired.
I’m not going to be winding it up to 7 k with valve’s closed.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry, not buying what you’re saying here. 4K’s nuthin’… and just to be clear, it’s by choice *when* desired.
I’m not going to be winding it up to 7 k with valve’s closed.
For somebody trying to understand your reply is, shall we say, interesting... And just to be clear, I am not selling anything.

You may not like my reply, but your comment makes little sense, the Porsche OEM programming is in place, their design not mine, 4K RPM is the point that they decided the valves should be open, not mine. Sure you may be able to find a way to override the valve control, but it is at your risk.

You are of course free to do what you want, it's your car, I was just explaining how things are set up from the factory and why.

Over and out because we are now off subject.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-29-2023 at 11:24 PM.
Larry Cable (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:43 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

The boldened referenced the PIWIS 3, which I know diddly about, my apologies for not making it clearer.
Just trying to find a way to control the valves like Matt Farah’s car.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:01 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The boldened referenced the PIWIS 3, which I know diddly about, my apologies for not making it clearer.
Just trying to find a way to control the valves like Matt Farah’s car.
Ahhh, I see, then here is a more appropriate response...

Regarding the PIWIS 3, as you know it can only program/enable/disable pre-existing settings and parameters, I am sure that @718socal will find a way if it is possible and is within the factory parameters.

As for what was done on Matt's Spyder, he has made some interesting comments about things that were not very clear. I watched that video a few times and his comments on a few things including the exhaust valves did not make sense, it may be possible that the tuner has figured a way to control the valves in a different way, but his comment about them being forced open at 4K RPM would be more the factory setting than anything else.

I know that many don't want to install any extra modules and prefer to have a tuner change programing to achieve a desired setting, I get that, no problem if that is the goal. I will only offer that the CG valve controller (I have the 2-mode model) allows me to have the valves forced open all of the time or let the PSE button do its thing whatever that is. What the CG controller gives me is access to both worlds, OEM programing or valves always open, simple, remote controlled and 100% reversible no PIWIS required.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-30-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Larry Cable (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 10:30 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

M-Engineering can program the valves to stay open all the time when PSE in ON or factory with PSE OFF.....they do open at 4,000 rpm in the OFF mode.
For those that have tracks with dB limits, been able to shut them OFF for 1-2 seconds while driving by the sound booth could be a solution...I know some people have build GPS devices to control the valves for this reason.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:40 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 350 Posts

Does anyone know how I can use the actual Spyder files in Simulation mode?
I want to be able to browse all the different options without actually being connected to the car.
I assume it saves it somewhere after connecting to one Spyder.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

has anyone successfully got mirror tilt to work on a car w/o seat memory?
Old 01-30-2023, 01:39 PM
santiago660
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
M-Engineering can program the valves to stay open all the time when PSE in ON or factory with PSE OFF.....they do open at 4,000 rpm in the OFF mode.
For those that have tracks with dB limits, been able to shut them OFF for 1-2 seconds while driving by the sound booth could be a solution...I know some people have build GPS devices to control the valves for this reason.
Is there somewhere I can read about this? Can be a good alternative for a Cargraphic valve controller.
EDIT: I assume this is the full M-Engineering tune that's $2500?

Last edited by santiago660; 01-30-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request