Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 08:10 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there registry setting or something that needs to be set to enable that, or is this version just deprecated and not capable of engineering mode?
Old 02-05-2023, 08:11 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 718socal
Mine looks different. E is Engineering Mode
Is there a registry setting or something that needs to be set to enable that, or is this version just deprecated and not capable of engineering mode?
Old 02-05-2023, 08:23 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlJ
Is there a registry setting or something that needs to be set to enable that, or is this version just deprecated and not capable of engineering mode?
I honestly don't know since I did not install the PIWIS.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:59 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

This thread is great.....quick question. After enabling WIFI on my 2023 4RS I decided to check some other options to code and found a few related to Android Auto.
Took the risk and changed a few parameters and when I plug my Samsung Note20 it ask if I want to use AA....but, nothing else happens after that.
Anyone has experimented with this and got AA apps showing on PCM 4? Maybe I'm missing a few other parameters for the PCM?
Old 02-06-2023, 11:08 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This thread is great.....quick question. After enabling WIFI on my 2023 4RS I decided to check some other options to code and found a few related to Android Auto.
Took the risk and changed a few parameters and when I plug my Samsung Note20 it ask if I want to use AA....but, nothing else happens after that.
Anyone has experimented with this and got AA apps showing on PCM 4? Maybe I'm missing a few other parameters for the PCM?
I am not using AA only Carplay. There are a few settings for Mirrorlink. Here are a few that I found.

I would also try to add the option 9WT Mirrorlink (Carplay) to your vehicle with PIWIS and code the PCM.

There was an issue with displaying the AA icon. Maybe others using AA could chime in. Another option is to use AIO and that will enable NAV also.
The following users liked this post:
JUN6817 (06-05-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:36 AM
edub
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

At this point there isn't much documentation on whether 2023 supports AA natively or if it needs to patched in.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:18 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

I am not using AA only Carplay. There are a few settings for Mirrorlink. Here are a few that I found.

I would also try to add the option 9WT Mirrorlink (Carplay) to your vehicle with PIWIS and code the PCM.

There was an issue with displaying the AA icon. Maybe others using AA could chime in. Another option is to use AIO and that will enable NAV also.
Mirrorlink also works with Android phones to Mirror the phone screen, I have this working on another system, PCM 3.1 I would need to try the codes above to see if it works on PCM 4

Regarding the AA icon, once the correct FEC was input to enable AA then you can fix the icon with a patch, either using MIB/GEM or AIO.

@jmartpr When you say it asks about AA, where?, a screen shot would be helpful. The AA connection option should be on the Home screen.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-07-2023 at 02:22 AM.
JUN6817 (06-05-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:13 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Thanks 718socal!!!

Will give those mirrorlink settings a try today. From what I saw my car had CarPlay active....it also has NAV as OEM.

When I plug the phone it asks if I want to use AA or just USB. If you choose AA you loose bluetooth connectivity. An icon for AA should appear so I can access the Apps but that's missing.

Will report back....
Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Mirrorlink also works with Android phones to Mirror the phone screen, I have this working on another system, PCM 3.1 I would need to try the codes above to see if it works on PCM 4

Regarding the AA icon, once the correct FEC was input to enable AA then you can fix the icon with a patch, either using MIB/GEM or AIO.

@jmartpr When you say it asks about AA, where?, a screen shot would be helpful. The AA connection option should be on the Home screen.
Will take a pic today.....it askes if the new connected phone via USB should be use just as USB or AA. If I pick AA an icon should be available for AA access or go directly to AA. Nothing happens.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:01 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Will take a pic today.....it askes if the new connected phone via USB should be use just as USB or AA. If I pick AA an icon should be available for AA access or go directly to AA. Nothing happens.
if you could, take a screenshot of the version number in the PCM. I think that your hardware number should be 56 or 57.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:10 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That is interesting about the question for the USB connection, I would have thought that if it asks about AA, then AA was enabled, but I never heard reports that Porsche was offering this or enabling it as part of the factory configuration. Was this a selected option in your build?

FWIW just answering that question never took me directly into AA, IIRC you still had to go to the HOME screen and select it.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:12 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

That is interesting about the question for the USB connection, I would have thought that if it asks about AA, then AA was enabled, but I never heard reports that Porsche was offering this or enabling it as part of the factory configuration. Was this a selected option in your build?

FWIW just answering that question never took me directly into AA, IIRC you still had to go to the HOME screen and select it.

The GT4RS comes with various options as standard. NAV is standard and I suspect CarPlay also. It was activated when looking at the different coding parameters. I didn't have the option to spec anything else.
So far it ask me how to use the USB connection once I plug the phone and the options are USB or Android Auto, so it's detecting a Android phone on the USB.
It also tells you that you will lose BT connectivity if you chose AA....maybe I should also try using WiFi with the USB connection?
The AA logo on the home screen is missing so no way to jump into AA once the phone is connected.
Will try to activate the MirrorLink options later tonight and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:35 PM
Richard Hamilton
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

PCM4 is just a variant of the VAG MIB2 system. AA is available on Audis and VWs using MIB2, so I expect Porsche have some agreement with Apple. I would consiter what @Westcoast suggests. You can do it all with an SD card and MIB Solutions. All the details are here: https://www.718forum.com/threads/and...-thread.23262/
Old 02-07-2023, 12:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The GT4RS comes with various options as standard. NAV is standard and I suspect CarPlay also. It was activated when looking at the different coding parameters. I didn't have the option to spec anything else.
So far it ask me how to use the USB connection once I plug the phone and the options are USB or Android Auto, so it's detecting a Android phone on the USB.
It also tells you that you will lose BT connectivity if you chose AA....maybe I should also try using WiFi with the USB connection?
The AA logo on the home screen is missing so no way to jump into AA once the phone is connected.
From your description above I would say that the AA (Feature Enablement Code, FEC) has not be turned on, that is why you don't have the icon for AA or the ability to go to. USB is the only connection mode for CP/AA on PCM 4 unless you use an aftermarket dongle like Carlink etc., BT and WiFi is not used for connectivity here.

If you want AA then I would consider the manual process for turning this on or perhaps AIO if it will work with your PCM. This is why @718socal and I have been asking about firmware and hardware versions of the PCM in your car.
Z06jerry (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:43 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Ok I tried using my Android Tablet and this is what I get. Just as you described. It went back to the Home screen

Quick Reply: PIWIS 3 Coding Retrofit and Feature Request