Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022 | 10:26 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Default Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong

So I ordered a very high spec Spyder back in june. Due to build in December. Multiple PTS calls, CXX options, PEC ATL delivery, etc.

I have in email a long trail of getting spec agreed and agreeing terms of deposit; non refundable if delivered in a reasonable time from Dec build date, guaranteed a PTS build slot, built with specific paint code (Metallic Viola/paint code included)

So far:
- Many build delays
- Many CXX options not avaialble due to supply chain/covid
- Porsche overbooked PEC ATL and cancelled PEC delivery on me
- Car is now being delivered Azzuro Thetys on body, and Metallic Viola on CXX paint options. It should be Metallic Viola all over. This was extremely clear.

Dealership is accepting that between CXX and dealership they messed up. They want to discount PEC/CXX costs, but deliver car anyway. They also have suggested that I take this car, pay for it in full, and they will buy it back from me at what I pay when they can get a new PTS allocation, which will be at least august, and possibly later.

Problem is:
- Black door handles, Red calipers, Azzuro body. I dont think this is going to be great.
- Paying PTS money for the wrong color. I like Azzuro, but if I were going silver I would go GT Silver, not 12k extra.
- Who knows what will be available/spec'able by the time they get another PTS order?

At this point, all the things that made splurging on 'new' for a special experience, and getting exactly my spec are FUBAR. This is some random spec car, that while I am sure is lovely, is not a celebration of my 45th and the ability to actually do a significant thing to exactly my tailoring. This is also 100% not my fault. I have email and phone records to prove it, and so far, verbally, dealer is accepting this is their/CXXs miscommunication.

Given dealer is not replying to my request to remove PTS cost, I would like to simply return my deposit, which was agreed as non refundable for a PTS viola car in a reasonable timeline, in email/writing

In current market, I would expect them to be fine with this. I would imagine a high build spec Spyder, PTS and on the court would sell fast at MSRP or higher given lack of supply and no wait. . If dealer does not play ball, I will escalate to GM, but if that doesnt work, what are my options with PCNA/Porsche DE?

Many thanks. I think this is honest mistake, and do not intend to name dealer/SA unless things deteriorate to court, but I would like to understand the collectives view of options.

Last edited by SockToy; 02-01-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:36 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

I understand it's frustrating, you spent the time to talk through it, have the emails, all that. I'm sorry that's not what is being delivered.

I just want to make sure I understand part of what you said.

Your dealer wants you to buy the car, own the car, drive the car, and they have guaranteed you an allocation for PTS to start this process over. And then, when that car comes in, they are going to buy your car back at the amount you paid? You can get this in writing?

So forgetting potential tax implications based on your state, is there anything else I'm missing? I would 100% take this. Why wouldn't I want to drive this car for however long I can and then trade into my new Spyder?

I find that very generous. They could just tell you sorry, give you back your deposit, and move on. But then you don't have a Spyder or an allocation.
The following 6 users liked this post by iammacey:
95spiderman (02-01-2022), Mr.Bourne (02-03-2022), nova996 (02-02-2022), The Pinkoboe (02-01-2022), veblenesque (02-02-2022), Zhao (02-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:40 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No I would not take delivery.

Be professional and polite, but firm and request the next allocation. Be prepared to take a non PTS slot.

Paying what I assume is a stratospheric MSRP for something you didn’t order or desire is insane.
The following 7 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
6IXSPD (02-01-2022), Booth9999 (02-02-2022), boss2k (02-01-2022), Fast-Eddie (02-01-2022), FASTRKMAN (02-01-2022), Frank Torres (02-01-2022), Jamie140 (02-01-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:44 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
No I would not take delivery.

Be professional and polite, but firm and request the next allocation. Be prepared to take a non PTS slot.

Paying what I assume is a stratospheric MSRP for something you didn’t order or desire is insane.
Even if you have a written guarantee they are going to buy it back for what you paid?
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:44 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey
Your dealer wants you to buy the car, own the car, drive the car, and they have guaranteed you an allocation for PTS to start this process over. And then, when that car comes in, they are going to buy your car back at the amount you paid? You can get this in writing?

So forgetting potential tax implications based on your state, is there anything else I'm missing? I would 100% take this. Why wouldn't I want to drive this car for however long I can and then trade into my new Spyder?

I find that very generous. They could just tell you sorry, give you back your deposit, and move on. But then you don't have a Spyder or an allocation.
I agree with the above as long as you can get it in writing and they don't put something like mileage limitations on you on the incorrect car.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbs993tt:
iammacey (02-01-2022), Mr.Bourne (02-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:51 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Even if you have a written guarantee they are going to buy it back for what you paid?
Nope.

Clear the dealer wants the OP to take possession, hence the buy-back “guarantee”.

Why wouldn’t the dealer prefer to sell it now new and get OP new allocation?

Call PCNA and open a case.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
boss2k (02-01-2022), Odin (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:55 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Nope.

Clear the dealer wants the OP to take possession, hence the buy-back “guarantee”.

Maybe they would.

I​​​t sounded to me like it was their way of making a concession for being part of the screw up and they were looking for a way to do the most right thing they could for OP.

The following users liked this post:
nova996 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:00 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't take it. Its not what was ordered. Too many extra costs involved: sales tax, registration, etc, etc. And we all know how some dealers interpret guarantees when the time comes.

Last edited by ExMB; 02-01-2022 at 11:17 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ExMB:
6IXSPD (02-01-2022), Alan C. (02-01-2022), boss2k (02-01-2022), Dr.Bill (02-01-2022), FASTRKMAN (02-01-2022), Larry Cable (02-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:02 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Maybe they would.

I​​​t sounded to me like it was their way of making a concession for being part of the screw up and they were looking for a way to do the most right thing they could for OP.
That would be doing what the OP wanted.

Easy for dealership to have “difficulty” getting new allocation and OP stuck with car.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:21 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Nope.

Thank you.
Do you know how this is done?
Is there any negative consequence for the dealer in opening a case that is evntually resolved amicably?

I do want to give them the chance to do the right thing, before esclating, if negative consequence. On the other hand, if its simply tracking and will make them take it more seriously I should probably file now.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:34 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

I would like to see pictures of this miss-matched car.

I believe what the dealer is offering is that you buy the car and they buy it back immediately from you as they will put it on the floor and sell it. I don't think they are offering to let you drive it and then buy it back at what you paid (but I could be wrong). Either way, get that in writing.

My car, my dealer as offered to buy from me over MSRP if I want to sell it and have requested the first right of refusal. So, if I decide not to take the car, for whatever reason, I would buy it, close out the paperwork, and then sell it immediately back to them as they only sell new cars at MSRP but if I sold them the car, they would have the usual markup.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:35 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SockToy
Thank you.
Do you know how this is done?
Is there any negative consequence for the dealer in opening a case that is evntually resolved amicably?

I do want to give them the chance to do the right thing, before esclating, if negative consequence. On the other hand, if its simply tracking and will make them take it more seriously I should probably file now.
Someone will chime in on opening a case or post a new thread.

I agree that I wouldn’t go that route until I felt I hit a wall with the dealership. Go in and talk with the SM or GM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:46 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

I think the challenge the dealer will face, if OP backs out, is recovering CXX funds for what's essentially silver. Yeah, it's a pretty silver (assuming Google is correct) and might be a unique silver... but I'd think someone would REALLY have to love THAT silver to pony up the premium to buy it off the lot.

And I'm confused... as OP you said the "body" is this silver, but the CXX parts are Viola Metallic? How does that work? Is that just the beltline trim in the interior? Or is it some kind of eyesore with random purple accents?

I'm leaning towards "take the car and enjoy it risk-free" assuming they will put in writing that they'll buy it back at full sale price when your allocation comes in with only reasonable limitations (that would also need to be spelled out). But I'd want it on some kind of letterhead from the sales manager or GM... not just an email from a sales guy.
The following 2 users liked this post by daaa nope:
Larry Cable (02-01-2022), The Pinkoboe (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

So I ordered a very high spec Spyder back in june. Due to build in December. Multiple PTS calls, CXX options, PEC ATL delivery, etc.

I have in email a long trail of getting spec agreed and agreeing terms of deposit; non refundable if delivered in a reasonable time from Dec build date, guaranteed a PTS build slot, built with specific paint code (Metallic Viola/paint code included)

So far:
- Many build delays
- Car is now being delivered Azzuro Thetys on body, and Metallic Viola on CXX paint options. It should be Metallic Viola all over. This was extremely clear.

Dealership is accepting that between CXX and dealership they messed up. They want to discount PEC/CXX costs, but deliver car anyway. They also have suggested that I take this car, pay for it in full, and they will buy it back from me at what I pay when they can get a new PTS allocation, which will be at least august, and possibly later.

Problem is:
- Black door handles, Red calipers, Azzuro body. I dont think this is going to be great.
- Paying PTS money for the wrong color. I like Azzuro, but if I were going silver I would go GT Silver, not 12k extra.
- Who knows what will be available/spec'able by the time they get another PTS order?

At this point, all the things that made splurging on 'new' for a special experience, and getting exactly my spec are FUBAR. This is some random spec car, that while I am sure is lovely, is not a celebration of my 45th and the ability to actually do a significant thing to exactly my tailoring. This is also 100% not my fault. I have email and phone records to prove it, and so far, verbally, dealer is accepting this is their/CXXs miscommunication.

Given dealer is not replying to my request to remove PTS cost, I would like to simply return my deposit, which was agreed as non refundable for a PTS viola car in a reasonable timeline, in email/writing

In current market, I would expect them to be fine with this. I would imagine a high build spec Spyder, PTS and on the court would sell fast at MSRP or higher given lack of supply and no wait. . If dealer does not play ball, I will escalate to GM, but if that doesnt work, what are my options with PCNA/Porsche DE?

Many thanks. I think this is honest mistake, and do not intend to name dealer/SA unless things deteriorate to court, but I would like to understand the collectives view of options.
I would not purchase the car unless you have a written & signed letter from the sales/general manager indicating they will but the car back at an agreed price

clearly the dealer does not want to attempt to sell the car - otherwise they'd simply cut you loose from your purchase ...

I agree with others that you need to establish a case with PCNA, I would also talk with Exclusiv Manufactur @ PCNA since they should have been involved in the process of ordering PTS and CXX...
Old 02-01-2022 | 12:37 PM
Dyim
Drifting

So far:
- Many build delays

Problem is:

I like the discount part, and buying it back at what you paid. You are essentially driving it for free while waiting.

I think the key question is: Are you guaranteed to get another allocation, in the PTS window? That is the real danger. If there is no allocation, you will be stuck with driving a mismatch car. Which part CXX is viola? Some can be easily changed.

I would get assurance from PCNA you will receive another allocation. That needs to come from a level above the dealer.

Quick Reply: Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong