Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
lolol. Weird though, my SA always confirmed everything with me. I sent him a Porsche code for options changes. He always sent me back ‘I changed it, new code = ____. Please review and confirm everything is correct. Solves the miss click or it didn’t copy paste correct or whatever problems.

As for OP, kinda sounds confusing what the dealer actually is offering you and is possibly designed to be that way by the dealer. It sounds like they made an offer that is better than what you want but I'm sure they have a way with how it's worded to wiggle out of it in their mind as it's too good to be true (drive the car, do whatever you want to it and we'll buy it back for what you paid... definitely too go to be true). My advice is do not trust the dealer unless it is in writing. I think contacting Porsche directly makes the most sense if it's a problem on thier end not the dealers end (or even if it's the dealer's end).
My SA was a lazy *** SOB - the Exclusiv Manufactur rep and I kept at him for over a month to update the internal order with the PTS codes ... but he could not be bothered - too busy selling Macans or updating his FB/IG accounts or something...

Originally Posted by Scrounger
Personally I would want to see the car first. Just the curiousness in me would want to see what it looks like 'just in case'.

What are the chances of someone else wanting a metallic Viola Spyder and is willing to pay a stupid amount over MSRP and the dealership wanting to sell it to them to make a quick buck?

Porsche do not make mistakes of this magnitude. They are very thorough and your SA should have gone through the final spec before freeze point. There will have been no miscommunication between the dealership and CXX, what total tosh.
clearly the Sales Associate messed this up ... also note the body is Silver only the CXX items are Viola .... except for the door handles and calipers...
Old 02-01-2022, 03:40 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

OP, very sorry to hear about your situation! While I think both Viola Metallic and Azzuro Thetys Metallic (would prefer Viola as well) are beautiful colors and PTS cars always retain higher value than normal colors, you should be able to get the car you want given a PTS slot was guaranteed by the dealer. It seems like it will be a keeper for you, so you being happy is the most important part.

As other members said there are important questions you should debate internally; like if there is no 2023 year build production for Spyder will you be ok with keeping the car possibly?

In regards to the dealership buying the car back at the MSRP you will be paying, offering a new allocation at MSRP when a new PTS allocation comes up, etc. you probably have a lawyer prepare or go through the drafted document.

Also what parts of the car will be Azzuro and what parts will be Viola? Most interior trim is easily replaceable if needed change post production. Also, you can possibly spec the calipers black to go better along with Azzuro. The dealer or Porsche should be paying/covering the expenses (except brake calipers).

Best of luck!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Nope.

Clear the dealer wants the OP to take possession, hence the buy-back “guarantee”.

Why wouldn’t the dealer prefer to sell it now new and get OP new allocation?

Call PCNA and open a case.
I'll take the free 718 Spyder loaner all day long. Where do I sign?
Old 02-01-2022, 04:36 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 827 Likes on 380 Posts

If you think that buy back 'guarantee' is worth more than gas station sushi, you are not using any part of your brain.

Why would they want to pay more than invoice for a used white elephant with miles? Preposterous on its face.

If you take delivery, it's yours.

Remember, they have way more dough to spend on lawyers than you.
The following 6 users liked this post by Jamie140:
JPMD (02-02-2022), Larry Cable (02-01-2022), MechEngr1287 (02-02-2022), nobbyv (02-02-2022), TXshaggy (02-01-2022), X2Board (02-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
If you think that buy back 'guarantee' is worth more than gas station sushi, you are not using any part of your brain.

Why would they want to pay more than invoice for a used white elephant with miles? Preposterous on its face.

this
Old 02-01-2022, 05:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140

You get it in writing with a fee shifting provision and you're golden.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:27 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

I will say, personally I wouldn't take the offer because I see you as taking all of the risk. I'm just thinking of all of the scenarios they can come up with to screw you over when you go to trade in your car. Like someone said, what if you get into a accident? What if the GM that signed the offer letter resigns and a new GM comes in? What and how will that impact the offer? Will it be more of a legally binding agreement where lawyers are involved or more like an IOU kind of letter based on the good faith and effort of the dealer/GM?

To me, this is a pretty big mess up. Thinking back to when I ordered my PTS and CXX options, I went so far as to ask my SA as the locked date was approaching if they wanted to meet with me and review all options and have me and them sign off on them since my build is one of the more expensive builds. He said no. I then asked if he could send me something that confirmed all of the build options to include the build options codes for each item, especially the color code. It was one thing to write Riviera Blue and another thing to write Riviera Blue 39E (as the option code.) I specifically wanted something with the color code because I read online through my many late nights that there was a guy that ordered Gulf Blue but ended up getting GOlf Blue. Totally different shades and that scared me. Although it seems even if that were noted, I guess based on your situation there could still be a chance for mix up although we don't know all of the details of where exactly the mix up/failure occurred.

Anycase, keep us updated on your decision.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
You get it in writing with a fee shifting provision and you're golden.
I'm personally skeptical that any dealer is going to cut a legally binding contract with such provisions in it just to sell a car - albeit an unsellable white elephant like this one ... YMMV
Old 02-01-2022, 07:12 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Sure it was the dealer that F’ed up the order, but where was Porsche corporate in all this? Did no one back at home office see this highly customized order come through with completely mismatched PTS paint scheme and say “Maybe we should double check with the dealership and the customer before we build this abomination?”
The following 3 users liked this post by 0-Day:
Mr.Bourne (02-03-2022), SpyderSenseOC (02-01-2022), X2Board (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm personally skeptical that any dealer is going to cut a legally binding contract with such provisions in it just to sell a car - albeit an unsellable white elephant like this one ... YMMV
I'm skeptical as well. But I'd trust a Porsche dealer more than a Kia dealer, especially with documentation, and they may have ample motivation to at least temporarily unload the turd. Someone royally screwed the pooch on that build. But if I could drive it for free for a year or so, I would in a heartbeat.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
…abomination?”
Lol. We're talking about an owner who is probably going to end up here one day. I meant turd in the nicest possible way.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 02-01-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Sure it was the dealer that F’ed up the order, but where was Porsche corporate in all this? Did no one back at home office see this highly customized order come through with completely mismatched PTS paint scheme and say “Maybe we should double check with the dealership and the customer before we build this abomination?”
"the customer is always right" ...
Old 02-01-2022, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I'm skeptical as well. But I'd trust a Porsche dealer more than a Kia dealer, especially with documentation, and they may have ample motivation to at least temporarily unload the turd. Someone royally screwed the pooch on that build. But if I could drive it for free for a year or so, I would in a heartbeat.
even if there is a risk they would not buy it back ... at any price ... I mean seriously your advice to the OP is to buy this car - would you *really* put your money where your advice is? - I certainly would not, given the current situation I'd go find another Spyder allocation or CPO even w/ADM!
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (02-02-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:47 PM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Jump over to Dealerships Thread

Originally Posted by SockToy
So I ordered a very high spec Spyder back in june. Due to build in December. Multiple PTS calls, CXX options, PEC ATL delivery, etc.

I have in email a long trail of getting spec agreed and agreeing terms of deposit; non refundable if delivered in a reasonable time from Dec build date, guaranteed a PTS build slot, built with specific paint code (Metallic Viola/paint code included)

So far:
- Many build delays
- Many CXX options not avaialble due to supply chain/covid
- Porsche overbooked PEC ATL and cancelled PEC delivery on me
- Car is now being delivered Azzuro Thetys on body, and Metallic Viola on CXX paint options. It should be Metallic Viola all over. This was extremely clear.

Dealership is accepting that between CXX and dealership they messed up. They want to discount PEC/CXX costs, but deliver car anyway. They also have suggested that I take this car, pay for it in full, and they will buy it back from me at what I pay when they can get a new PTS allocation, which will be at least august, and possibly later.

Problem is:
- Black door handles, Red calipers, Azzuro body. I dont think this is going to be great.
- Paying PTS money for the wrong color. I like Azzuro, but if I were going silver I would go GT Silver, not 12k extra.
- Who knows what will be available/spec'able by the time they get another PTS order?

At this point, all the things that made splurging on 'new' for a special experience, and getting exactly my spec are FUBAR. This is some random spec car, that while I am sure is lovely, is not a celebration of my 45th and the ability to actually do a significant thing to exactly my tailoring. This is also 100% not my fault. I have email and phone records to prove it, and so far, verbally, dealer is accepting this is their/CXXs miscommunication.

Given dealer is not replying to my request to remove PTS cost, I would like to simply return my deposit, which was agreed as non refundable for a PTS viola car in a reasonable timeline, in email/writing

In current market, I would expect them to be fine with this. I would imagine a high build spec Spyder, PTS and on the court would sell fast at MSRP or higher given lack of supply and no wait. . If dealer does not play ball, I will escalate to GM, but if that doesnt work, what are my options with PCNA/Porsche DE?

Many thanks. I think this is honest mistake, and do not intend to name dealer/SA unless things deteriorate to court, but I would like to understand the collectives view of options.
Jump over to the dealership thread. How it's handled should be documented on that thread.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:54 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah as much as I'd like to think the dealer is earnestly trying to fix things, if you buy the car you have lost all of your leverage. If they balk when it's time for them to buy the car back, what recourse do you have, other than taking them to court? Taking them to court could easily cost you more money (and time!) than it's worth.

Why do you need to buy the car in order to get their next PTS slot anyway? If they really wanna fix things they'll give you that slot whether you buy the car or not because they are the ones who screwed it up. If you buy the car at full price, their mistake will have literally cost them nothing, and they can decide in the future whether they want to buy the car back. If prices are significantly lower at that point, they can just walk away from the deal and dare you to sue them.

The other thing is, whether they get another PTS configurable allocation is out of their control, PCNA controls that. How they can promise to give you something that they don't have, and don't know if they'll get? If they can get PCNA to step in and route a car your way, that would be far better.

Quick Reply: Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong