Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 07:55 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

OP do not buy this car. Instead demand the next available allocation PTS or not. They should bump the next customer in line and allow you to order your car. If they won’t do this, escalate it to PCNA and open a case. Don’t waste time with the dealer as allocations are very limited for 2022 and there are solid sources claiming there will be no 2023MY.

If you waste time there is a good chance you won’t end up with the car you want or would be at least happy to own.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:54 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Sure it was the dealer that F’ed up the order, but where was Porsche corporate in all this? Did no one back at home office see this highly customized order come through with completely mismatched PTS paint scheme and say “Maybe we should double check with the dealership and the customer before we build this abomination?”
This^^^^. How did this not set off alarm bells?

At any rate, this is a tough one. I'm not sure if I'd go through with this. If I were to even consider going through with this, here is what I'd ask:
1) You want a signed contract from the dealer's owner/CEO to buy the car back at the price you paid. You get to drive the car until the new ones comes in. This includes any fees and taxes. You need to be made whole to the penny.
2) You want a PTS build slot. If you lose this slot or you never get a slot, the dealer agrees to compensate you for their screw up (see item 3 below). This means they buy the car back from you after 12 months + taxes/title/registration, etc. Again, this needs to be in writing and signed by the owner/CEO. You need to be made whole if you PTS slot does not come through.
3) If the PTS slot falls through, you get a CPO at a significant discount to MSRP when one you like comes available.

I suspect they will not agree to all of this or put it in writing signed by the owner. If that is the case, don't take the car under any circumstances.

Alternatively, I'd simply ask that they keep the car and get you a new PTS build slot at $5k off MSRP to make up for the waste of time and their screw up. They may not want to do that since they are likely already going to take a loss on the silver/purple car. Who knows. Someone may end up liking the car and it may actually be worth more 30 years into the future since I guarantee it will be 1 of 1.

Last edited by Car Crazy; 02-01-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Odin (02-03-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:59 PM
phow
Pro

Even if they were to put a buy back guarantee in writing, there will absolutely be a return condition clause of some sorts. God forbid some teenager hits you and the car now has a mark on carfax, they will likely back out.

There is so much risk in taking this car. You would be better off buying a CPO car while you wait for another allocation if that’s the route you decide to go.
rp2000r (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:02 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Even if they were to put a buy back guarantee in writing, there will absolutely be a return condition clause of some sorts. God forbid some teenager hits you and the car now has a mark on carfax, they will likely back out.

There is so much risk in taking this car. You would be better off buying a CPO car while you wait for another allocation if that’s the route you decide to go.
That is my worry. So many possible ways this could go wrong.
​​​​​​​
out of curiosity, which CXX options are Metallic Viola (purple)?
Old 02-01-2022, 09:14 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,141 Posts

This is not a challenge.

Don’t buy it. Perhaps the dealer’s offer was a concession. But, don’t chance it. Simply not worth it, and it will remind you daily how they messed up your build. It will aggravate you to no end.

Just decline it. Request/demand a correction. Continue to escalate the issue until someone fixes it with a guarantee.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:18 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by raymort
This is not a challenge.

Don’t buy it. Perhaps the dealer’s offer was a concession. But, don’t chance it. Simply not worth it, and it will remind you daily how they messed up your build. It will aggravate you to no end.

Just decline it. Request/demand a correction. Continue to escalate the issue until someone fixes it with a guarantee.
^ Agreed x100

Also, if they really plan to take the car back, they will have no problem leasing it to you with an early termination clause that you may exercise at any time and a guarantee refund of all payments. If they won’t do that, they aren’t on the level.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:22 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
even if there is a risk they would not buy it back ... at any price ... I mean seriously your advice to the OP is to buy this car - would you *really* put your money where your advice is? - I certainly would not, given the current situation I'd go find another Spyder allocation or CPO even w/ADM!
First, I'm just saying what I would do. I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know someone else's particular situation. Beyond that, there are obviously some questions and fine details that are probably not ironed out yet (will the price the dealer will pay on trade inclusive of sales tax paid? May be a $10K deal breaker) and the I's would need to be dotted and the T's crossed, but I would take some dealers at their word (backed up by a document) and drive a free 718 Spyder while mine gets built if it were offered to me. But show me THE numbers and I'll let you know for sure.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 02-01-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
First, I'm just saying what I would do. I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know someone else's particular situation. Beyond that, there are obviously some questions and fine details that are probably not ironed out yet (will the price the dealer will pay on trade inclusive of sales tax paid? May be a $10K deal breaker) and the I's would need to be dotted and the T's crossed, but I would take some dealers at their word (backed up by a document) and drive a free 718 Spyder while mine gets built if it were offered to me. But show me THE numbers and I'll let you know for sure.
Seriously? Showing you numbers you wouldn't accept? You won't even take the arguments by others that don't live in a liberal semi-protective state like you do. You posts are showing you living in a dream world. And its not just this thread. Your spider sense is in need of adjustment.

SmH
Old 02-01-2022, 09:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Seriously? Showing you numbers you wouldn't accept?
Easy chap. You're getting wound up here. I merely said I would accept the offer if the terms were right. You might and do disagree. Great. Isn't that what this place is about? Why the animosity? And do tell about those other threads.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:56 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm skeptical as well. But I'd trust a Porsche dealer more than a Kia dealer, especially with documentation, and they may have ample motivation to at least temporarily unload the turd. Someone royally screwed the pooch on that build. But if I could drive it for free for a year or so, I would in a heartbeat.
Trust is the biggest liability of all (Rule of Acquisition).

I'll tell you what happened to my uncle at Mercedes long ago. Someone F'ed up and they punched the warranty early on his car so it had like 6 months of warranty gone the day he signed the paperwork and he bought it (was new, not a demo, wasn't last years model (warranties generally only get punched here when it gets sold, or if its... 1.5? years old I think the manufacturer punches it if it's sold or not at that point too. Even demos warranties don't get punched until they're sold). They said something like don't worry we'll honor the warranty until the date it should be because it was sold as new, we documented it was our mistake, all good. So he trusted they weren't lying. Fast forward to about 6 months before his warranty is gone and something blows up on the car and he's like cool, I have 3 or 5 or whatever months of warranty left, no biggie. They said his warranty expired, there was no record of any agreement on their end and they would have never said that.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:02 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Trust is the biggest liability of all (Rule of Acquisition).

I'll tell you what happened to my uncle at Mercedes long ago. Someone F'ed up and they punched the warranty early on his car so it had like 6 months of warranty gone the day he signed the paperwork and he bought it (was new, not a demo, wasn't last years model (warranties generally only get punched here when it gets sold, or if its... 1.5? years old I think the manufacturer punches it if it's sold or not at that point too. Even demos warranties don't get punched until they're sold). They said something like don't worry we'll honor the warranty until the date it should be because it was sold as new, we documented it was our mistake, all good. So he trusted they weren't lying. Fast forward to about 6 months before his warranty is gone and something blows up on the car and he's like cool, I have 3 or 5 or whatever months of warranty left, no biggie. They said his warranty expired, there was no record of any agreement on their end and they would have never said that.
Dealers punch cars early all the time in order to get rebate money that might be expiring. Taking the dealer's word (without a writing) on that was a mistake. But he probably had recourse if the car was sold as new and the early punch was not disclosed. I get that people prefer fulfilled promises to a meritorious legal claim and I feel the same way.

But as it pertains to the OP, I my opinion is based on the assumption that the numbers work, the risk allocation works, and the timing works. If so, I drive a new 718 Spyder for free while I wait for my car. Simple as that. He's not getting the car he ordered any time soon. Might as well enjoy something else in the meantime.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Easy chap. You're getting wound up here. I merely said I would accept the offer if the terms were right. You might and do disagree. Great. Isn't that what this place is about? Why the animosity? And do tell about those other threads.

Post #1 - no condition

Post #2 - doesn't read whats been posted
Old 02-01-2022, 10:34 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Seek help.

Post 1: "I'll take the free 718 Spyder loaner all day long. Where do I sign?" I stand by that. I will take a FREE (and everything that does and doesn't mean) 718 Spyder while you build mine. I could not care less if you wouldn't.

Post 2: You searched the OTHER threads and found one that made you butt hurt because I asked for details that might have been posted in a message above that I didn't see? Again. Seek help.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:40 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I would be very skeptical about that promise to buy buck the messed-up car, not in writing, let alone verbally (what about registration, tax and whatever other costs involved?). They already messed-up with a rather simple operation and they are trying to solve their mistake by passing the problem to you. Besides, what about the disruption they caused to your experience? Are you going to be anywhere near happy taking delivery of such mismatched expensive Spyder that you did not customize? I bet nope. Your bank account will have a hole whilst you will not be happy driving around that car and "explaining" your loved ones that is actually not the purple Porsche GT car you had told them about.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:57 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow maybe like my dealer they are just trying to keep a customer happy so he will buy Porsches from them for the next 30 years. I own a car that came from a very similar situation. It wasn't exactly how the customer wanted it and they let him drive it for eight months. They bought it back when his new one came in and I loved the build so I bought it used. The dealer would have been happier to just put it on floor and sell it, and then have customer wait for his new order. At the time the CGTS 4.0 was easy to sell.
I assume they aren't pressuring you to take the car, the only benefit to them would be to keep you happy. Now that could be the wrong way to see this, and they simply don't want the car and hope you change your mind after driving it.
Have you sat down with them and said the whole thing makes you uneasy? They might be happy to take the car and start your new order.
SpyderSenseOC (02-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Challenging time: PTS order all gone wrong