Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 01:23 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgang
Happy New Year Jeff! Great set of pictures. That tire service is impessive --- being able to fit their mounting and balancing equipment in the back of the truck.
Did you have many options to choose from? Will be interesting to hear your report on how they do.
Blake runs three car related businesses in the area and all three are well respected. They have all the tire and wheel options one would want including all the high end wheel brands. It was impressive to watch them work and they did it all in 6 inches of new snow They do a ton of business at the track, swapping street wheels/tires with track setups and they store what isn’t in use.

In terms of being brave to venture out in the snow…I didn’t leave my area and I intentionally went out when there were fewer cars sliding around. I wanted to have some fun, but I’m not crazy 😃

Thanks for the kind words! Now I’m ready for the snow to melt…it’s been around for long enough!
Old 01-01-2022, 04:05 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

I have the Michelin Alpins on my winter set as well and like them too. We had the same snow dump as you guys up here in Vancouver. I washed my car just before Christmas and she is tucked in the warm garage and I feel to sorry for her to take her out on the snow and salt
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 05:37 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to adopt the philosophy of extracting as much enjoyment as I can from the Spyder and resisting my normal tendency to spend more time washing a car than I do driving it I don't tend to keep cars for very long, so preserving it for the next buyer doesn't make much sense...although I am feeling like this Spyder could be a long term keeper for me. It is just so much fun to drive...more smiles per mile than anything I've owned before. Even if I keep it forever, I want to have the long term car that gets celebrated for hitting 300,000 miles, not the one that gets auctioned 30 years from now with 5K miles on the odometer to a collector!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
ausgang (01-02-2022), P-car-Vancouver (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 05:50 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,245 Posts

I agree with you both!

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
I have the Michelin Alpins on my winter set as well and like them too. We had the same snow dump as you guys up here in Vancouver. I washed my car just before Christmas and she is tucked in the warm garage and I feel to sorry for her to take her out on the snow and salt
Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I'm trying to adopt the philosophy of extracting as much enjoyment as I can from the Spyder and resisting my normal tendency to spend more time washing a car than I do driving it I don't tend to keep cars for very long, so preserving it for the next buyer doesn't make much sense...although I am feeling like this Spyder could be a long term keeper for me. It is just so much fun to drive...more smiles per mile than anything I've owned before. Even if I keep it forever, I want to have the long term car that gets celebrated for hitting 300,000 miles, not the one that gets auctioned 30 years from now with 5K miles on the odometer to a collector!!
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Jeff Jones (01-01-2022), P-car-Vancouver (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:33 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 165 Posts

@Jeff Jones for your winter set-up, did you install TPMS? If so, is there a part number / model number on your invoice? Asking because my winter wheel set-up is fabulous...but despite numerous attempts thus far...no success in getting the TPMS to 'register'...so thinking a model number check / comparison could help my shop remedy. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:08 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
@Jeff Jones for your winter set-up, did you install TPMS? If so, is there a part number / model number on your invoice? Asking because my winter wheel set-up is fabulous...but despite numerous attempts thus far...no success in getting the TPMS to 'register'...so thinking a model number check / comparison could help my shop remedy. Thank you in advance.
For this round, I had them install the winter tires on my oem wheels so I was able to reuse the TPMS and all it took was getting up to 15mph for codes to clear after the swap. I do have a set of BBS FI-R wheels on order and my plan is to put the Michelin PS4S summer tires on those wheels. For that set, I ordered a additional set of TPMS from Suncoast. I ordered what they told me to and they even asked for a VIN to verify. The part number for what I ordered is listed as 991981TPM. I won’t know if these work until the wheels and tires are mounted again so if anyone else has some advice, I would love to know before that time comes

I ordered the custom brushed clear finish for the BBS wheels and I’m having my oem wheels refinished satin black so I can swap back and forth as I get bored
Old 01-02-2022, 12:35 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

For this round, I had them install the winter tires on my oem wheels so I was able to reuse the TPMS and all it took was getting up to 15mph for codes to clear after the swap. I do have a set of BBS FI-R wheels on order and my plan is to put the Michelin PS4S summer tires on those wheels. For that set, I ordered a additional set of TPMS from Suncoast. I ordered what they told me to and they even asked for a VIN to verify. The part number for what I ordered is listed as 991981TPM. I won’t know if these work until the wheels and tires are mounted again so if anyone else has some advice, I would love to know before that time comes

I ordered the custom brushed clear finish for the BBS wheels and I’m having my oem wheels refinished satin black so I can swap back and forth as I get bored
I thought you didn’t like black wheels, I recall this from a post way back when before you had your car, when you said black wheels don’t photograph well?
Old 01-02-2022, 01:09 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
I thought you didn’t like black wheels, I recall this from a post way back when before you had your car, when you said black wheels don’t photograph well?
Good memory. I have a love / hate relationship with black wheels. I like the overall look but don’t like how you lose the detail in the wheel design. That’s why I’ll run two sets of wheels and tires. In peak car / car photography season I’ll have the brushed aluminum BBS wheels and summer tires. I’ll run the black oem wheels and winter tires when my car is likely to be filthy anyway from our wet winter weather.

The Spyder does look great with black wheels in certain color combos and white is near the top of that list for me. I’ll just have to work extra hard in Lightroom to pull out some detail from the wheels!

One thing I’ve been consistent with since taking delivery of my car is that I don’t like the standard silver paint they used on these wheels.
P-car-Vancouver (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 01:13 AM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

I used my 981 winter wheels with TPMS, but they were incompatible. These Tire Rack sensors worked great. Be careful with the part number, though.
Jeff Jones (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 02:06 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks and much cheaper than the ones I ordered from Suncoast. It looks like this site has some good oem and oem like options for our cars - https://www.tpms.com/2021-Porsche-Ca...MS-s/10128.htm

I’m guessing that what I get in the mail from Suncoast is going to be the wrong part in addition to being 3x the price 😬
jeanrabelais (01-03-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 02:08 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,718 Likes on 2,746 Posts

RDE047V21 or UVS4040 Intellisens are the correct HUF TPMS sensor part numbers for the 718.

I purchased UVS4040 sensors from TPMS.com for my Spyder.

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-02-2022 at 02:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
jeanrabelais (01-03-2022), Jeff Jones (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 02:40 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Good memory. I have a love / hate relationship with black wheels. I like the overall look but don’t like how you lose the detail in the wheel design. That’s why I’ll run two sets of wheels and tires. In peak car / car photography season I’ll have the brushed aluminum BBS wheels and summer tires. I’ll run the black oem wheels and winter tires when my car is likely to be filthy anyway from our wet winter weather.

The Spyder does look great with black wheels in certain color combos and white is near the top of that list for me. I’ll just have to work extra hard in Lightroom to pull out some detail from the wheels!

One thing I’ve been consistent with since taking delivery of my car is that I don’t like the standard silver paint they used on these wheels.
Makes sense for sure. Looking forward to the seeing the BBS wheels once the weather gets warmer in the spring.
Jeff Jones (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 02:59 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Fantastic pics and looking forward to those BBS!
Jeff Jones (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:29 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I posted the full set of photos on my blog/journal if anyone wants to see a few more - https://911maniac.com

Jeff
Old 01-02-2022, 09:36 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 165 Posts

Many thanks to @Jeff Jones and @Paiceyfan and @Westcoast .

I will be at my tire shop this week and this detail will be helpful as we work to remedy my set-up. I will also report back (once successful).
Jeff Jones (01-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread