Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
How did you know the DSC controller was defective?
when I had a problem with my DSC the car threw a PASM fault whenever I attempted to zero the ride height sensors...
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 03:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Antigravity has been super responsive. I believe my issue was caused by letting the battery sit for 8 months and my OBD reader confirmed the fault was P0562, System Voltage low. I've got the car on the trickle charger and things seem good now. I'll keep an eye on this but expect it to be fine once fully charged.

I actually really like silver wheels typically but just find this particular painted silver to be a bit blah. Easy to play with down the road. I also had a Targa GTS with black wheels and I like how the wheel details can be seen in lighter colored wheels.

After install I immediately got two errors at startup. "Suspension system fault, Drive with caution" and "Headlight control defective, Service required". The issues resolved as soon as defaulted back to the oem controller. I sent an email to support and received a very fast response letting me know that there were a few units with a programming error and they are swapping out the unit for me. Great response and service to address the problem even though the controller sat for so long before getting installed. Tom just confirmed he is going to overnight me a new unit along with a return label...fantastic customer first approach to the swap.
ditto!

Old 10-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Please do. We have a pretty active FB group if you aren’t already on it - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwrpca/?ref=share

I also managed to spend an hour swapping the oem battery for the Antigravity battery I pulled out of my trade-in. I had to take a few more pieces off than on the 911 but it was straightforward. I have an engine control fault to troubleshoot with Antigravity but I’m sure they will get me sorted. The battery sat for 6 months so maybe it just needs some trickle charger love. These batteries are the easiest 30 lbs I’ll ever lose

I note you do not have one of these: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/
Old 10-18-2021, 03:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,677 Likes on 2,720 Posts

After install I immediately got two errors at startup. "Suspension system fault, Drive with caution" and "Headlight control defective, Service required". The issues resolved as soon as defaulted back to the oem controller. I sent an email to support and received a very fast response letting me know that there were a few units with a programming error and they are swapping out the unit for me. Great response and service to address the problem even though the controller sat for so long before getting installed. Tom just confirmed he is going to overnight me a new unit along with a return label...fantastic customer first approach to the swap.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
when I had a problem with my DSC the car threw a PASM fault whenever I attempted to zero the ride height sensors...
Hmmm, I have had the DSC install for about 9 months now, maybe I need to play with some setting or run a diagnostic to make sure mine is working correctly?

The only error I have ever seen and it was transient was a CAN bus error...
Old 10-18-2021, 03:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Hmmm, I have had the DSC install for about 9 months now, maybe I need to play with some setting or run a diagnostic to make sure mine is working correctly?

The only error I have ever seen and it was transient was a CAN bus error...
I'd say "no need" ... but if you are "paranoid" reset/zero the ride height sensors (from the app) ... if you had/have a problem unit it will throw - but also it would have (most likely) put the shocks into "wagon wheel" mode
and you would not "wax lyrical" over the handling improvements resulting.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:38 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I note you do not have one of these: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/
I do have one although I forgot to install it. That has been remedied now

As Larry said, if you didn't immediately receive these errors, I think you are in good shape. Small number of units with the problem so keep on enjoying it worry free
Westcoast (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 05:38 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Great write up Jeff. I continue to be fully enamored with my GT4. If it weren't for the fact that my wife knew I wanted to occasionally take the car to the track, I too may have ended up with a Spyder. They are drop dead gorgeous.

I'll be looking to pick up a DSC controller before next autocross season, so if you decide to move on from it, let me know.

Secondly, with the battery swap and engine control fault, just swapping the battery can cause this, but more likely it was too low of voltage. It should be pretty easy to reset it. I have the "icar soft" setup if you want help with clearing the code. At least you didn't get the steering fault that I did with my car when the battery got low. I had to go to the dealer to get that one cleared since the icarsoft doesn't specifically support our cars. I could get it to see the fault, but it wouldn't clear it.

Personally, I had a great weekend autocrossing, but that was the last of the season. Bummed that I missed hanging with another Python GT4. I'll definitely have to get in with the next one. All seasons should be going back on the car shortly.

Ron
I've heard the battery needs to be registered(?) to the car.
Yeah, you lit it up again on Saturday.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:07 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 78 Posts

Huge congrats, Jeff. Your patience finally paid off. We need to go on some drives together soon.
Jeff Jones (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Confirming that after some time on the trickle charger, my Antigravity battery is up to full charge and there are no continued faults or issues with the Spyder. Working like a charm and saving me a nice chunk of weight. I even put the battery monitor on there this time to be able to log some data on voltage, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
ronbauer (10-19-2021), Spyder Bite (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Confirming that after some time on the trickle charger, my Antigravity battery is up to full charge and there are no continued faults or issues with the Spyder. Working like a charm and saving me a nice chunk of weight. I even put the battery monitor on there this time to be able to log some data on voltage, etc.
its a really nice features esp since its bluetooth enabled so you can check it from your phone ...
Old 10-18-2021, 09:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
I've heard the battery needs to be registered(?) to the car.
Yeah, you lit it up again on Saturday.
not AFIAK - the hardest part (apart from losing a nut from the restraining strap - which I still haven't found) was lifting out the OEM boat anchor ... plug & play otherwise
Jeff Jones (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Congratulations Jeff. Your Spyder looks beautiful. Nice spec. Very tasteful.
Happy to see your patience rewarded.

Lots of you guys seem to be "graduating" from the waiting game to the open road.
Luckily, I hung on to my 911 so I can have some fun while waiting for my dealer to call me with the long-sought allocation.
Been first in line for their next GT4 for a while.

Meanwhile, Adrift and I will have to live vicariously through you guys. Best of luck with your beauty.
Jeff Jones (10-18-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:56 AM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 124 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, Jeff. I love your detailed write ups and photo contents.. keep it up! I’ll be following closely
Jeff Jones (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:44 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Tom at TPC overnighted me a new DSC controller and after a 5 minute install, I’m good to go! No codes or issues and after a short test, I love it. It ahould allow me to run in sport suspension mode pretty much full time and just put it on comfort mode on really bad roads.

I struggled with the big connector the first time but I found that if you let the controller lean forward into your left hand, you can get that thumb in the gap of the slide connector while pulling with your right hand. Comes right out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
omar0022 (10-19-2021), Spyder Bite (01-01-2022)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,677 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Tom at TPC overnighted me a new DSC controller and after a 5 minute install, I’m good to go! No codes or issues and after a short test, I love it. It ahould allow me to run in sport suspension mode pretty much full time and just put it on comfort mode on really bad roads.

I struggled with the big connector the first time but I found that if you let the controller lean forward into your left hand, you can get that thumb in the gap of the slide connector while pulling with your right hand. Comes right out.

Jeff, any idea which file your new DSC is running? I 'think' that mine is: 718GT4_GRS_LNC_by-TC_09-02-2020

On the side of the case it says "11-24-20 718 Spyder"

Quick Reply: Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread