Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 06:27 PM
larry.beck
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the car Jeff! Might have to join one of the PNWR cruises so we can compare.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:29 PM
larry.beck
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones

The next upgrade will be TPC toe links, alignment and I’ll add the DSC controller in to see what I think after I get a working version. The team at TPC were great about offering an immediate exchange even though it’s been so long since I ordered.

!
If you decide to move on from the DSC let me know Jeff, I’ll be buying one for my GT4 soon.
Jeff Jones (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by larry.beck
Any recommendations on a simple but hidden wireless CarPlay adapter for this car? I have the same issue.
this has good reviews, but I cannot speak from personal experience... (android user)

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-17-2021, 09:18 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 692 Posts

Congrats on the car Jeff! Might have to join one of the PNWR cruises so we can compare.
Please do. We have a pretty active FB group if you aren’t already on it - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwrpca/?ref=share

I also managed to spend an hour swapping the oem battery for the Antigravity battery I pulled out of my trade-in. I had to take a few more pieces off than on the 911 but it was straightforward. I have an engine control fault to troubleshoot with Antigravity but I’m sure they will get me sorted. The battery sat for 6 months so maybe it just needs some trickle charger love. These batteries are the easiest 30 lbs I’ll ever lose

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
CDACH (10-17-2021), nothingman (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 11:20 PM
omar0022
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 114 Posts
Thumbs down

Oh man I missed this drive!! We need to exchange contact information so I can be in the loop for the next one (not on social media)!

Last edited by omar0022; 10-17-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Jeff Jones (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 11:27 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by omar0022
Oh man I missed this drive!! We need to exchange contact information so I can be in the loop for the next one (not on social media)!
I sent you a PM with my cell. I hear you on staying away from social media but I find FB to be necessary for coordinating with groups. Between PCA/PNWR and Avants, there is always someone organizing a drive and you can always ignore the rest.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:28 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

I also managed to spend an hour swapping the oem battery for the Antigravity battery I pulled out of my trade-in. I had to take a few more pieces off than on the 911 but it was straightforward. I have an engine control fault to troubleshoot with Antigravity but I’m sure they will get me sorted. The battery sat for 6 months so maybe it just needs some trickle charger love. These batteries are the easiest 30 lbs I’ll ever lose
Nice! Please keep us updated on how Antigravity solves your CEL. I had an Antigravity battery in my last car and plan to get one for my GT4 soon.
Jeff Jones (10-17-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Funny you mention the Silver wheels since I thought the exact same thing. I had Black wheels on my last P-car, a Targa GTS, so I was leaning toward something different this time but the Silver was so dull to me that I stuck with Black.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:52 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Great write up Jeff. I continue to be fully enamored with my GT4. If it weren't for the fact that my wife knew I wanted to occasionally take the car to the track, I too may have ended up with a Spyder. They are drop dead gorgeous.

I'll be looking to pick up a DSC controller before next autocross season, so if you decide to move on from it, let me know.

Secondly, with the battery swap and engine control fault, just swapping the battery can cause this, but more likely it was too low of voltage. It should be pretty easy to reset it. I have the "icar soft" setup if you want help with clearing the code. At least you didn't get the steering fault that I did with my car when the battery got low. I had to go to the dealer to get that one cleared since the icarsoft doesn't specifically support our cars. I could get it to see the fault, but it wouldn't clear it.

Personally, I had a great weekend autocrossing, but that was the last of the season. Bummed that I missed hanging with another Python GT4. I'll definitely have to get in with the next one. All seasons should be going back on the car shortly.

Ron
The following 3 users liked this post by ronbauer:
dnimi123 (10-18-2021), Jeff Jones (10-18-2021), omar0022 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 12:26 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this has good reviews, but I cannot speak from personal experience... (android user)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HQ62T61
I have this device. It works well, just a little slow to connect to the phone when you first enter the car.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:29 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for all that I’ve learned from this community working towards Spyder ownership.

@Westcoast - I have seen your posts on the SmartTop and I’m going to revisit them to see how far it will go to adding the convenience I’m missing.

The next upgrade will be TPC toe links, alignment and I’ll add the DSC controller in to see what I think after I get a working version. The team at TPC were great about offering an immediate exchange even though it’s been so long since I ordered.

Now to go for a drive…weather be dammed!
How did you know the DSC controller was defective?
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Congrats!!!! I have had my Spyder for 2 weeks now. Still getting to know it!! I do love it though!
Old 10-18-2021, 01:25 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 760 Likes on 373 Posts

Any recommendations on a simple but hidden wireless CarPlay adapter for this car? I have the same issue.
I bought this one directly from China… took about a week and a half to arrive. It’s a bit cheaper than the Amazon one.
It works great, but I don’t care for the graphics that identify my phone upon start up (but they’re gone after about 3 seconds, so I really don’t care that much).

https://cplay2air.com/

Old 10-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! I would have loved a Spyder, but mine's a daily driver, so I 'settled' for a Cayman
Old 10-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
Nice! Please keep us updated on how Antigravity solves your CEL. I had an Antigravity battery in my last car and plan to get one for my GT4 soon.
Antigravity has been super responsive. I believe my issue was caused by letting the battery sit for 8 months and my OBD reader confirmed the fault was P0562, System Voltage low. I've got the car on the trickle charger and things seem good now. I'll keep an eye on this but expect it to be fine once fully charged.

Funny you mention the Silver wheels since I thought the exact same thing. I had Black wheels on my last P-car, a Targa GTS, so I was leaning toward something different this time but the Silver was so dull to me that I stuck with Black.
I actually really like silver wheels typically but just find this particular painted silver to be a bit blah. Easy to play with down the road. I also had a Targa GTS with black wheels and I like how the wheel details can be seen in lighter colored wheels.

How did you know the DSC controller was defective?
After install I immediately got two errors at startup. "Suspension system fault, Drive with caution" and "Headlight control defective, Service required". The issues resolved as soon as defaulted back to the oem controller. I sent an email to support and received a very fast response letting me know that there were a few units with a programming error and they are swapping out the unit for me. Great response and service to address the problem even though the controller sat for so long before getting installed. Tom just confirmed he is going to overnight me a new unit along with a return label...fantastic customer first approach to the swap.

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 10-18-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Spyder Bite (10-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Jeff’s 718 Spyder Ownership Thread