Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche Cutaway Drawings

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021 | 03:42 PM
douriel
Rennlist Member

When are these going to print?!?! I need one for my Spyder (GT Silver, Black interior with silver stitching and LWBs, black brake calipers, and platinum satin wheels). When you're ready, I'm all over this!
The following 3 users liked this post by douriel:
Lucent (09-29-2021), Randy_B (09-29-2021), slilley (10-01-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 04:08 PM
Randy_B
Pro

The responses so far are beyond what I expected. There is still some work to be done but things are moving along.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (10-01-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 04:31 PM
incursion
Racer

I'm interested. What's the cost?
Old 09-29-2021 | 07:13 PM
Randy_B
Pro

My original plan was to get all four car images to the point where I could create custom variants consisting of exterior color, wheel color, and transmission type (shown by the shifter - powertrain will all likely show manual for now). At that point I could quickly generate images that I would provide to forum members free of charge. If someone wanted something that was more specific than that, and was possible within the limitations of my skillset and the source images, there might be a small charge involved for additional editing. That is still the plan right now but I want to get everything set up to the point where I can take requests. I will still post updated images here in the meantime.
Old 09-29-2021 | 07:25 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

IMHO, I think you should charge for these…

What were your ideas for printing them?
The following 3 users liked this post by SpeedySpidey:
808c2s (09-29-2021), Lucent (09-29-2021), slilley (10-01-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 09:59 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
IMHO, I think you should charge for these…
Agreed, at least a small fee for your time and effort. This is a skill set that not many of us have, thus it's only fair if you charge at least a nominal fee for your trouble.
Old 09-29-2021 | 10:13 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Amazing work! I'm looking for shark blue on a Cayman GTS and I imagine as they start rolling in from the factories so will many others. And free is not an option! At the VERY least set up a way to collect some donations :-)
Old 09-29-2021 | 10:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy_B
Here are some updated images for the Cayman GTS 4 liter. I wasn't happy with the way my previous version looked around the engine compartment and exhaust area. I made the rear valence smaller since it was taken from the Spyder/GT4 which are more pronounced. I added the windshield from the GT4 image as I liked the reflection better. I added the air intake on the driver's side from the GT4/Spyder since it was missing before. I fixed the engine compartment that had a weird mix of PDK and Manual parts to represent full Manual as shown with the shifter. And lastly, I experimented with some more subdued colors that are supposed to resemble Adventurine Green and Agate Grey. Edit - I added GT Silver with Black wheels and also updated the Lizard Green and Racing Yellow GTS images in my original post. I think they are much nicer images then my first pass at the GTS and are getting closer to what I want. Here they are:
Those are good graphic improvements over your first yellow one. So now you have to re-do that one LOL - you’re list is growing and if the resolution is high enough I’m going to get one printed.
P-car-Vancouver (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 11:02 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Those are good graphic improvements over your first yellow one. So now you have to re-do that one LOL - you’re list is growing and if the resolution is high enough I’m going to get one printed.
Nice work indeed - a Racing Yellow Spyder would be worthy if printing, and framed.
Old 10-01-2021 | 10:53 AM
Randy_B
Pro

Thanks for all of the nice comments - they have come a good ways from the first images. In fact, when I went back and looked at the originals I was ashamed I posted them on a public forum and replaced them. Photoshop is not one of my strengths and one of the purposes of this exercise was to address that and hopefully improve some. Having subject matter that was interesting to me was one way to help things along and I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who likes these technical images.

I will provide the digital file in whatever format that is best suited for printing and is an option from Photoshop. It can be cropped in another proportion to fit a particular frame if necessary and I can do that as well. I don't know much about printing so that will be up to the end user to sort out. The only limiting factor is the size of the original images which is 3600 x 2546 for the GTS cars and 5040 x 3564 for the GT4 and Spyder.

Here is the latest Boxster GTS image after adding the latest Cayman updates to it. It has the original windshield showing the more detail towards the cowl area. I'm split on which I like the best but it could be an option to have either. I'm looking into better ways to colorize within Photoshop to get more accurate representations. That said, it will be difficult to exactly match some colors plus they are all semi-transparent to show the details so they won't look the same anyways. But it should be apparent what color is intended at the worst.

slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021 | 10:59 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Thanks for all of the nice comments - they have come a good ways from the first images. In fact, when I went back and looked at the originals I was ashamed I posted them on a public forum and replaced them. Photoshop is not one of my strengths and one of the purposes of this exercise was to address that and hopefully improve some. Having subject matter that was interesting to me was one way to help things along and I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who likes these technical images.

I will provide the digital file in whatever format that is best suited for printing and is an option from Photoshop. It can be cropped in another proportion to fit a particular frame if necessary and I can do that as well. I don't know much about printing so that will be up to the end user to sort out. The only limiting factor is the size of the original images which is 3600 x 2546 for the GTS cars and 5040 x 3564 for the GT4 and Spyder.

Here is the latest Boxster GTS image after adding the latest Cayman updates to it. It has the original windshield showing the more detail towards the cowl area. I'm split on which I like the best but it could be an option to have either. I'm looking into better ways to colorize within Photoshop to get more accurate representations. That said, it will be difficult to exactly match some colors plus they are all semi-transparent to show the details so they won't look the same anyways. But it should be apparent what color is intended at the worst.

So happy to see this!! Yes, these are looking awesome. Hopefully I’ll see a BGTS in shark blue! Thanks for keeping us entertained with your work!!
Randy_B (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021 | 11:26 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Great work! Thanks for the BGTS in GT silver and with silver wheels! I’m happy to pay for a downloadable file so I can enlarge, print and frame it for my office.
Randy_B (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021 | 11:34 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Randy_B Excellent work as always! Like others I am hoping to eventually print a large version for the wall, looking for a Chalk Spyder with yellow calipers to represent the PCCB brakes.
Old 10-01-2021 | 11:36 AM
Randy_B
Pro

Here are a couple of freshly colorized Spyders I have been using for color testing:

The following 2 users liked this post by Randy_B:
nothingman (10-01-2021), slilley (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021 | 11:43 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here are a couple of freshly colorized Spyders I have been using for color testing:

Very nice, and the lower one is close enough to Chalk to work for me!

Also cool comparing these to the two immediately above, the different layers become apparent show the internals... like ahead of the windshield. I think this is what makes these so interesting to look at!
Randy_B (10-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Porsche Cutaway Drawings