Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 08:01 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

@dmk2 As I understand it, it’s the good old US gov you should be mad at. They are the ones that prevent Porsche from keeping their US dealers in line. I just read there is some law that prevents Porsche from disciplining dealers that charge ADM.

USA USA USA

Last edited by Adrift; 01-15-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:04 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Check for yourself. I doubt you will find an at-MSRP dealer with less than a projected 3+ year waiting list. Most are probably 4+. Yes, GM make more, they also have far more general demand, largely due to the price point.

But wait lists and ADM aside, I bought a C8 Z51 about a year ago (at MSRP) and was extremely underwhelmed by it. Sold it a few months later. Sure, Z06 will be better than the current C8, but it won't really fix much of what I didn't like about it.
100k+25k ADM or 170k+100k ADM?
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
100k+25k ADM or 170k+100k ADM?
Again, no.

They are still getting $20K ADM on regular C8's. Expect early Z06's to have closer to that $100K ADM.

These crazy ADM's suck, but it is *definitely* not a Porsche only problem. Across the board for anything higher end and desirable.

Last edited by pfbz; 01-15-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:55 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

so far i saw a 150k adm on a gt4 rs. wow
Old 01-15-2022, 11:20 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
@dmk2 As I understand it, it’s the good old US gov you should be mad at. They are the ones that prevent Porsche from keeping their US dealers in line. I just read there is some law that prevents Porsche from disciplining dealers that charge ADM.

USA USA USA
Auto franchise laws do prevent Porsche from doing some things, but the bottom line is that they could crack down on ADM's if they wanted to. Porsche could switch to a system where future allocations get cut if a dealer charges markups for example.

Who knows how they view it internally. The markups tell Porsche that they can raise prices, and it supercharges demand for upcoming models. It also makes dealers fat and happy so Porsche doesn't need to give them many incentives and maybe dealers don't grouse as much when Porsche requires dealership upgrades.

Honestly I'm not convinced restricting markups will help all that much if supply is well short of demand. Dealers can just sell to indie dealers and take a cut when the indie sells at a markup. Or you get into the situation where they'll want you to buy some cars you don't want in exchange for an allocation. Or you end up not being able to get an allocation without significant buying history.

The only real solutions are for Porsche to increase supply, or for demand to cool down. If less people pony up for big markups, dealers will back off of them. Or if enough people switch to other brands. It is in Porsche's best interests to increase supply so I imagine we'll see some improvements on that front in 2022.

​​​​​
Old 01-15-2022, 11:22 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Auto franchise laws do prevent Porsche from doing some things, but the bottom line is that they could crack down on ADM's if they wanted to. Porsche could switch to a system where future allocations get cut if a dealer charges markups for example.

Who knows how they view it internally. The markups tell Porsche that they can raise prices, and it supercharges demand for upcoming models. It also makes dealers fat and happy so Porsche doesn't need to give them many incentives and maybe dealers don't grouse as much when Porsche requires dealership upgrades.

Honestly I'm not convinced restricting markups will help all that much if supply is well short of demand. Dealers can just sell to indie dealers and take a cut when the indie sells at a markup. Or you get into the situation where they'll want you to buy some cars you don't want in exchange for an allocation. Or you end up not being able to get an allocation without significant buying history.

The only real solutions are for Porsche to increase supply, or for demand to cool down. If less people pony up for big markups, dealers will back off of them. Or if enough people switch to other brands. It is in Porsche's best interests to increase supply so I imagine we'll see some improvements on that front in 2022.

​​​​​
the market is the market. As a consumer you feel entitled to get discounted below msrp but when it goes up we feel cheated when it’s above. I don’t think I’d pay more adm than I would for a gt3 though.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Originally Posted by John Tianqi Zhu
the market is the market. As a consumer you feel entitled to get discounted below msrp but when it goes up we feel cheated when it’s above. I don’t think I’d pay more adm than I would for a gt3 though.
True, but no one is out there getting 60% discounts on any new car whereas these markups are 60% or more over msrp on the high end.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:27 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Originally Posted by G.Irish
True, but no one is out there getting 60% discounts on any new car whereas these markups are 60% or more over msrp on the high end.
I don’t like it like everyone else. I won’t be able to get a gt4 at least until 2023 or most likely 2024. But unfortunately this is just supply/demand. It’s similar to all those homes selling for above list. Strange practice to list such a low price.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:14 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Interesting that someone says they got an allocation. My local dealer isnt expecting any news till the end of the month.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:27 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Again, no.

They are still getting $20K ADM on regular C8's. Expect early Z06's to have closer to that $100K ADM.

These crazy ADM's suck, but it is *definitely* not a Porsche only problem. Across the board for anything higher end and desirable.
Weren't you on the CIOCCA thread on CF for the C8 Z06, didn't you try to put your name down for a C8 Z06 at MSRP?

If you go with some of the MSRP dealers you can purchase a C8 at MSRP with a wait time of about a year, there are folks on CF that are well on their way to their 2nd or 3rd C8 all purchased at MSRP.

The C8 is a mass produced car, same will go for the C8 Z06. Eventually folks will be able to purchase one at MSRP (2-3 years down the road).

The same can not be said about Porsche GT cars that have volumes that are 10%~20% of what GM produces.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:03 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Interesting that someone says they got an allocation. My local dealer isnt expecting any news till the end of the month.
Until someone in the US (non VIP) posts something showing v200 from the Porsche system it’s all hearsay.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:05 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Weren't you on the CIOCCA thread on CF for the C8 Z06, didn't you try to put your name down for a C8 Z06 at MSRP?
If you go with some of the MSRP dealers you can purchase a C8 at MSRP with a wait time of about a year, there are folks on CF that are well on their way to their 2nd or 3rd C8 all purchased at MSRP.
The C8 is a mass produced car, same will go for the C8 Z06. Eventually folks will be able to purchase one at MSRP (2-3 years down the road).
The same can not be said about Porsche GT cars that have volumes that are 10%~20% of what GM produces.
As you know, day 1 Ciocca Z06 deposits still yielded a multi-year wait. Those lucky enough to get a first year slot had wires received literally within seconds of them accepting them. The other big volume MSRP dealers now also have Z06 lists that will likely last longer than production.

C8 non Z06 at MSRP in about a year? Yes.
C8 Z06 new at MSRP = 3+ years.
C8 Z06 new first six months of production from a FU chevy dealer? Easily sticker +$100K.

But I do absolutely agree that eventually C8 corvettes, likely including the Z06, will be well below sticker. while some limited production Porsche GT cars will keep their value much, much longer.

Again, my point isn't at all comparing GM to Porsche or production levels, or merit. Just pointing out yet again that Porsche is far from alone in extracting obscene ADM's

Last edited by pfbz; 01-16-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM
G.Irish
Racer

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed

I tried to wire a deposit to Ciocca too but ended up number 1800+

If you're trying to get a car from on of the big MSRP dealers you're probably gonna be waiting a lot longer than a year. The upside is that there are a lot more Chevy dealers so maybe there are still some hidden gems out there but I'd wager that the Z06 markups are gonna be larger than they've ever been for a Corvette for at least 2 years.

Especially because I think this Z06 is gonna pull in a lot of more affluent customers who normally wouldn't have even considered a Corvette.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude

It's probably that the dealer has a secured build slot and they just allocate it to their customers....but it's not tied to an actual allocation with a configuration. At least that's my case.
My dealer is expecting those build slots to be converted into actual allocation end of month or February.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:03 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

My dealer is also saying they haven't received allocations and will that they'll keep me posted. Maybe certain territories are getting them before others...or it's slimy dealers testing the market of ridiculous ADMs in advance of a broader allocation release.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Allocation Thread