Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022 | 01:29 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Remember, AP said they enjoy making the mules look ugly. I bet the knit that vent into the roof silhouette somehow, and if it isn't full of RS slits, fender hacks and vents it is a plus IMO.

(also time to take speculation out of the thread title!!)

Last edited by UncleDude; 05-10-2022 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeanrabelais (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:32 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

YUP... Straight up Mule. It's great to see this, but visually this isn't the final deal. Big take aways is the fact it's real and it's happening!
It's the existing 718 Spyder with the GT4RS chassis and powertrain... removed the buttress fasteners for the air intakes thus why the flaps are tucked away.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 05-10-2022 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
jeanrabelais (05-10-2022), wizee (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another side benefit of loosing the attachment point for the sails in the rear deck lid is access to the trunk without opening the roof!

Old 05-10-2022 | 01:40 PM
thuggo
Rennlist Member

If its even close to that......it looks bloody Horrid.
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:41 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Another side benefit of loosing the attachment point for the sails in the rear deck lid is access to the trunk without opening the roof!
This is not the final deal, so a lot can happen between now and then. Looks like they are in the early stages of testing though. CAlexio... Makes me question the May 23rd debut... how certain are you of that date?
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:44 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm, interesting execution it may take me a bit to warm up to that roof!

Finally, proof that the RS is happening. I guess since the Spyder can't generate the same downforce as the GT4 RS version, there won't be any of the RS add-ons such as the front fender vents, larger front splitter, etc.

I'll be really curious (as I know all of you will be too) to see what the final product will look as far as the intake goes cuz I'm assuming what we're seeing here is some form of ugliness to hide the actual intake element. That intake box looks so basic and I'd assume Porsche will stylize it a little more for the final product.

Other thing to note is the car looks incomplete without the sails. I know they're not on this prototype car because of testing but again, hoping the final product has the sails re-intergrated somehow because they really do help make the Spyder look so unique.

Lastly, is it me or does that rear spoiler look like it's angle of attack is much more aggressive than on a regular Spyder? I don't recall my Spyder going up at such an extreme angle.
n4v4nod (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:45 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

I hope they do something more elegant about the roof, as this spoils the silhouette of the car. However, there is no longer any doubt that this car is happening.
Old 05-10-2022 | 01:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Finally, proof that the RS is happening. I guess since the Spyder can't generate the same downforce as the GT4 RS version, there won't be any of the RS add-ons such as the front fender vents, larger front splitter, etc.

I'll be really curious (as I know all of you will be too) to see what the final product will look as far as the intake goes cuz I'm assuming what we're seeing here is some form of ugliness to hide the actual intake element. That intake box looks so basic and I'd assume Porsche will stylize it a little more for the final product.

Other thing to note is the car looks incomplete without the sails. I know they're not on this prototype car because of testing but again, hoping the final product has the sails re-intergrated somehow because they really do help make the Spyder look so unique.

Lastly, is it me or does that rear spoiler look like it's angle of attack is much more aggressive than on a regular Spyder? I don't recall my Spyder going up at such an extreme angle.
I guess the sails could still hook on at the back of the intake scoop as I would think most of the incoming air would be from in front and alongside the side windows, this would preserve the 'top-up' lines.
n4v4nod (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:05 PM
IRM
Racer

I guess the sails could still hook on at the back of the intake scoop as I would think most of the incoming air would be from in front and alongside the side windows, this would preserve the 'top-up' lines.
Months ago I said this is how it should be. Intakes where they have put them, lambo-style. Sails attached afterwards so the intakes remain below the sails. This mule looks horrible though! hahaha AP you mf!
The following 2 users liked this post by IRM:
jeanrabelais (05-10-2022), n4v4nod (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:09 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Another question in thinking about the intake element based on these pictures. So it seems that the intake element is replacing the part on the regular Spyder where the sails attach that also displays the Spyder logo. This piece is part of the trunk lid that raises up when you open the trunk. Do you guys think this intake element will raise up and will be attached to the trunk lid? In other words, will the intake element be separated from the trunk lid so that it's a fixed piece so the intake path doesn't have any seals/breaks or do you think it will be a part of the trunk lid so that every time you raise the trunk lid, the intake element is raised to?

Something totally out of left field to wonder...do you think the convertible top element could be something like the 986 Spyder where the top is more of like a toupee? I wonder because on the GT4 RS, adding the 992 GT3 engine and the airbox and intake path, raised the height of the parts to where it now sticks out of the rear compartment area and is visible whereas with the GT4, it's contained under the rear shelf. I guess with the Spyder, seeing all of the new elements (air box, intake path) might not be a priority, will the engine still be integrated where the air box and intake path protrudes substantially into that area that would normally be where the convertible folds and is stored. If in fact, the airbox and intake path is there and is bulky, I don't see how the convertible top will be able to fold into the space and still allow for the larger (higher) airbox and intake path to reside as well and contain the folding mechanism too.

I will add, if you look at the rear of the convertible top, it looks different obviously other than the sails not being there. Where the rear part of the convertible top usually extends into the sails, one person commented above to say it's tucked away but I don't think that is the case. It looks like it's designed away because it looks quite snug on the convertible top.

The other main difference is the rear window looks much larger than on the regular Spyder. Again, maybe this is now more like the toupee from the 986 Spyder where the front latch is still electronically latched but the convertible top is actually removed manually from the car rather than folded into the car. Also, maybe the convertible top is now a two piece like the 986 Spyder where there is a top element and a rear window element.

edit: Nevermind on the larger rear window comment as I just saw on the spy shots that it shows to be regular sized but still wondering if maybe it's a two piece toupee?

Last edited by halfmonkey; 05-10-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:26 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRM
Months ago I said this is how it should be. Intakes where they have put them, lambo-style. Sails attached afterwards so the intakes remain below the sails. This mule looks horrible though! hahaha AP you mf!
Exactly! Well articulated description. I agree, the sails/straps are to come still.
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:33 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

How many will there be? Cost? Colors? Transmission? I have a G.Red 2021 Spyder for trade-in, oh Porsche Gods.
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:37 PM
unclemat
Pro

I am sure the butresses will go over the inlets. They need to fashion a new attachment piece/cover and maybe a new top.

@mdork Your source was right, Spyder RS is coming...

Last edited by unclemat; 05-10-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:41 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Would be excellent to drive a new Spyder Rs to the Rennlist 2023 get together, just saying.
Old 05-10-2022 | 02:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another question in thinking about the intake element based on these pictures. So it seems that the intake element is replacing the part on the regular Spyder where the sails attach that also displays the Spyder logo. This piece is part of the trunk lid that raises up when you open the trunk. Do you guys think this intake element will raise up and will be attached to the trunk lid? In other words, will the intake element be separated from the trunk lid so that it's a fixed piece so the intake path doesn't have any seals/breaks or do you think it will be a part of the trunk lid so that every time you raise the trunk lid, the intake element is raised to?
The intake could easily take the place of the black piece where the Spyder log is, it can still be part of the trunk lid by using a seal underneath to the intake runners.

Something totally out of left field to wonder...do you think the convertible top element could be something like the 986 Spyder where the top is more of like a toupee? I wonder because on the GT4 RS, adding the 992 GT3 engine and the airbox and intake path, raised the height of the parts to where it now sticks out of the rear compartment area and is visible whereas with the GT4, it's contained under the rear shelf. I guess with the Spyder, seeing all of the new elements (air box, intake path) might not be a priority, will the engine still be integrated where the air box and intake path protrudes substantially into that area that would normally be where the convertible folds and is stored. If in fact, the airbox and intake path is there and is bulky, I don't see how the convertible top will be able to fold into the space and still allow for the larger (higher) airbox and intake path to reside as well and contain the folding mechanism too.
The intake air box or boxes do not have to be the same as the GT4 variant and may well be integrated in the engine access cover to provide a lower profile, that we will have to wait to see!

I will add, if you look at the rear of the convertible top, it looks different obviously other than the sails not being there. Where the rear part of the convertible top usually extends into the sails, one person commented above to say it's tucked away but I don't think that is the case. It looks like it's designed away because it looks quite snug on the convertible top.

The other main difference is the rear window looks much larger than on the regular Spyder. Again, maybe this is now more like the toupee from the 986 Spyder where the front latch is still electronically latched but the convertible top is actually removed manually from the car rather than folded into the car. Also, maybe the convertible top is now a two piece like the 986 Spyder where there is a top element and a rear window element.

edit: Nevermind on the larger rear window comment as I just saw on the spy shots that it shows to be regular sized but still wondering if maybe it's a two piece toupee?
I sincerely hope they don't take a step backwards with the convertible top, it needs to be completely functional in all weather and allow for Vmax when it is up, in other words no 2 piece wonders either.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread