Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:44 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

I think it is coming, just later than we originally expected. Porsche has a lot on its plate right now with the special GT models coming out, 4rs, 3rs, sport classic, 50th RS, etc. At that was before all the delays due to Ukraine. The spyder RS will comE, eventually....

I definitely want one, though due to a leg injury that requires PDK, I'm hoping for the same drivetrain as the GT4RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-11-2022 at 11:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:44 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 317 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Ya sorry, a bit depressed when people talk about the MSRP starting at $200K...

I am holding out hope like you, yes we deserve it!

The DeMan gearing is a great option too.
The DeMan option is a good one - but doesn't have the 9K RPM fizzzzz....I hate that Porsche is only putting the GT3 engine in these super special models...

Last edited by dmboone25; 04-11-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
The DeMan option is a good one - but doesn't have the 9K RPM fizzzzz....I hate that Porsche is only putting the GT3 engine in these super special...
yep. And the gearing is another weakspot for those of us who want PDK-S.

I want a 718 sized convertible with GT suspension, GT3 engine, mated to PDK-S with low gearing. If the aftermarket can provide all three, then I can go aftermarket. If not, I will have to pay a hefty ADM to get a Spyder RS from Porsche.
dmboone25 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:10 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Exactly.......you just don't add water and these pop up for sale.
Most of the heavy lifting done with the GT4RS.

Lots can be done in a rolling tunnel.

Plenty of time after announcement to production for real world road tuning.

Oh it’s coming alright…AP said as much last month — “no decision has been made”…lol. That they’re waiting for a decision means it already exists.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:23 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Oh it’s coming alright…AP said as much last month — “no decision has been made”…lol. That they’re waiting for a decision means it already exists.
From your fingertips to Ferdinand’s celestial ears…
Old 04-11-2022, 11:37 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Ya sorry, a bit depressed when people talk about the MSRP starting at $200K...

I am holding out hope like you, yes we deserve it!

The DeMan gearing is a great option too.
Don't be depressed. Silver lining is it is still less costly than a Ferrari which makes the Spyder RS kind of better.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:46 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lilbza
50 pages in and we still going round in circles with the same chat.... I'll come back in 50 more, Adrift still going to be deciding if he will take one with a PDK or not
Didn't want to say anything, but I wrote my SA a note reminding him about my desire for a Spyder RS, and I was surprised to see that in his usual reply he didn't start with a disclaimer about how the car is only a concept and not in production. In his reply, he only said he would keep ME in mind should he get an allocation which gave me a bit of hope, If it's meant we will know soon.
Adrift (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:56 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Not sure why it's so difficult to believe this car is going to be produced. Dealer GMs and stuff have already been told its in the pipeline and on the way.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:59 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Not sure why it's so difficult to believe this car is going to be produced. Dealer GMs and stuff have already been told its in the pipeline and on the way.
For sure….worst kept secret ever.

My Dealer already has a client aligned for my RY Spyder.
JAhmed (04-11-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:00 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

For sure….worst kept secret ever.

My Dealer already has a client aligned for my RY Spyder.
I plan to park one next to my manual DeMan Spyder. Best of both worlds
jeanrabelais (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:09 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Most of the heavy lifting done with the GT4RS.

Lots can be done in a rolling tunnel.

Plenty of time after announcement to production for real world road tuning.

Hmmm...I don't think you can develop dynamics and aerodynamics only on the wind tunnel when both cars have big differences/targets and probably need a bit more tweaking.
How long did it took for the GT4RS to be develop since seeing the first test mules...and various versions.
Time is running out for the 718 and the GT department usually doesn't work in parallel several models at the same time.
Also, no decision could mean they have a sketch on a piece of paper......PAG loves to tease their customers all the time!
Larry Cable (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:20 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hmmm...I don't think you can develop dynamics and aerodynamics only on the wind tunnel when both cars have big differences/targets and probably need a bit more tweaking.
How long did it took for the GT4RS to be develop since seeing the first test mules...and various versions.
Time is running out for the 718 and the GT department usually doesn't work in parallel several models at the same time.
Also, no decision could mean they have a sketch on a piece of paper......PAG loves to tease their customers all the time!
Meh…F1 teams do it every year. Locked under development until reveal/testing then on to racing not long after.

Rolling wind tunnels are designed for this exact type of aero refinement.

They’ll need some real world stuff for the PASM programming and suspension, but that’s not years of work.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:50 AM
Don Fitzpatrick
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Didn't want to say anything, but I wrote my SA a note reminding him about my desire for a Spyder RS, and I was surprised to see that in his usual reply he didn't start with a disclaimer about how the car is only a concept and not in production. In his reply, he only said he would keep ME in mind should he get an allocation which gave me a bit of hope, If it's meant we will know soon.
This mimics my SA. About a year ago he laughed off my ask about a Spyder RS. This time I asked again to formally be put on the "list" for a Spyder RS and he said "ok I will put you down". That is no confirmation in any way, but it certainly is a change in posture. Of course I am hoping it comes in manual, I just am not sure if I would do PDK.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:27 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Fitzpatrick
This mimics my SA. About a year ago he laughed off my ask about a Spyder RS. This time I asked again to formally be put on the "list" for a Spyder RS and he said "ok I will put you down". That is no confirmation in any way, but it certainly is a change in posture. Of course I am hoping it comes in manual, I just am not sure if I would do PDK.
I’ve asked twice to be put on the Spyder RS list, the most recent last week. My SA has replied both times that he will get back to me, lol. My Targa 4S allocation is coming up this summer, and I think he wants me to take that and not confuse the issue with the RS.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 04-12-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:02 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I’ve asked twice to be put on the Spyder RS list, the most recent last week. My SA has replied both times that he will get back to me, lol. My Targa 4S allocation is coming up this summer, and I think he wants me to take that and not confuse the issue with the RS.
I don't know if there will be an orderly queue, I imagine it will be more like the speedster sales and you will get a chance to make an offer with an ADM (I was lucky enough to get such a chance and I regret not paying the minuscule ADM), but it will depend on the production numbers and the market for manual soft tops. Imh o, the GT4RS has all the attention right now and it may overshadow the Spyder RS and the result may be more availability of the SPYDER RS. This is what I'm hoping will be the case. How many peeps interested in buying or leasing a 200k mid engine car with a manual soft top?

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 04-12-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread