Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 12:04 AM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi guys, some delay with my car.
She should land at the dealer on Jan 22nd.
Meanwhile I sold the beloved Spyder… very very hard to let her go.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (01-23-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 12:07 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Brick,

Please join this thread and keep us updated.

congrats!

shaggy

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...iscussion.html

Old 01-14-2024, 12:14 AM
McClown
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Shaggy, would it be prudent to merge that thread with this one?

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...on-thread.html

I didn't even realise that the Spyder was being discussed in the GT4RS thread.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:01 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
It’s really too bad that our European friends who have taken delivery haven’t yet written up reviews for our review. Your thread on that topic has not yet produced the reviews we were hoping for.

As Adrift just said, the press reviews of Spyder RS have done little more than gush about the car; they failed to explore the fine details and the nuts and bolts — for example: handling and agility advantages over 718 Spyder, ride quality differences, suspension firmness differences, steering feel differences, pdk differences, sensation of speed differences, etc. It would helpful to offer real comparative information that actual owners of other Porsches could understand and relate to. If I were reviewing the 718 Spyder RS, I would compare it to everything I know about related P-cars and so I would discuss 981 Spyder, 718 Boxster GTS 4.0, 718 Spyder, and even 991.2 Speedster while driving the Spyder RS. Talking about one car alone in a vacuum, telling us how great it sounds, how wonderful it is — these are both boring and uninformative. Virtually the only comparison to any other car comes in the form of the prototypical, “If only it had a manual transmission.”

I think the mag wheels are cool but a tough choice for someone who cares about money and convenience. They aren’t covered under wheel-tire warranty, and if you lose a wheel due to road hazard you’re in some kind of trouble. They can be bought after the fact for $20k, which is less than spending the $14k for the factory option and then buying the standard wheels for $10k.
Not sure if u have seen this?
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-spyder/47850#
Old 01-14-2024, 06:03 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Originally Posted by 348SStb
What color PTS? Mine will be Mint Green over yellow themed interior.
Do u have a porsche code I could drool over?
Old 01-14-2024, 06:04 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Adrift
The list of people who mocked the entire idea of an SRS is long and "distinguished." And tbh, although I was on board from the start, now that I see the execution they chose, I have to say the nay-sayers were right. The car makes no sense. A bunch of race car bits on an RS convertible softened for the street. Huh?

But, here we are, and I have swallowed the kool-aide and asked for a second helping (ie I have one on order); and as much of a messaging mess as the car is, still everyone that reviews it does nothing but utter superlatives the entire video. (eg "this is quite possibly one of the greatest sports cars of the 21st century..."; multiple claims of better than the 4rs) Just imagine if Porsche actually tried. A lost opportunity to make a legendary car for the ages? ie a manual without all the racer aero. Can't do that and not eclipse big brother. (and would require investing development $$$ on a sunsetting platform...yeah yeah)

I plan to console myself about no MT with lots of lightning fast downshifts as I dive into corners with those music boxes singing in my ears.
how about a speedster ? They come in MT….;-P ;-)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:13 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Yeah, reviews are great while you’re waiting.

Personally had a 987.2 Spyder and my 718 is PDK so think there won’t be any surprises for me. Cup motor and even more aggressive PDK off the charts.

I actually prefer the 2-piece fully manual roof so happy about that. Running with only the sun shade is epic.

Yeah, mags expensive. Aftermarket not much less but you keep the forged aluminum. I prefer the mag design…by a country mile.

Those with GT3 RS note a sharper turn in with the mags…less unsprung weight. Dunno, probably go aftermarket there.
The more I read stuff online the more I see that 987.2 was peak convertible mid engine for Porsche. What are your thoughts and why did u sell ? Cayman R goes for more than the Spyder here, I’m thinking that it might be a misunderstood/ underrated car? I also note parallels between this and the SRS, ie not that many reviews, not many ppl know about it ETC ETC …
Patrick3000 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 06:28 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Yeah, sometimes things are lost in posts. Same as e-mails and texts.

I didn’t order the watch. It wasn’t a requirement. I would have if that was a requirement for an allocation…I even said so to dozens of GM/SMs.

I like watches, but Porsche Design not in that wheelhouse of watches for me.

Congrats to your allocation.

Looking forward to discussing the Spyder RS from RL owners perspective.

Only thing I’m struggling with is the Mag wheels.
a friend of mine suggested to buy the watch, and keep it unopened until the day you sell the car (hopefully several years from now), together they may be worth something. I thought he was a bit batty…but maybe just me?

I also agree that Porsche design (PD) is probably not the last word in horology , ie it ain’t no Patek Phillipe (PP), and one could almost buy a PP Ellipse for the money PD are asking, but do u think there might be a market say 10 years from now for a custom PD of a gt3rs, Srs or the like?

Old 01-14-2024, 11:20 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Shookie
Do u have a porsche code I could drool over?
I printed out that article you sent- thanks. Will react soon.

Arriving April 15 to my US dealer.
<https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRKUTLI4>

It’s a shame the configurator doesn’t show the stitching in actual color.

Here’s the watch. I dunno… lot of money. And as I said in a previous post — this thing was $10,750 before Jan 1.

<https://timepiecesconfigurator.porsc...ature=Preis-US>

Mike981S (01-23-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 11:38 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

The more I read stuff online the more I see that 987.2 was peak convertible mid engine for Porsche. What are your thoughts and why did u sell ? Cayman R goes for more than the Spyder here, I’m thinking that it might be a misunderstood/ underrated car? I also note parallels between this and the SRS, ie not that many reviews, not many ppl know about it ETC ETC …
a friend of mine suggested to buy the watch, and keep it unopened until the day you sell the car (hopefully several years from now), together they may be worth something. I thought he was a bit batty…but maybe just me?

I also agree that Porsche design (PD) is probably not the last word in horology , ie it ain’t no Patek Phillipe (PP), and one could almost buy a PP Ellipse for the money PD are asking, but do u think there might be a market say 10 years from now for a custom PD of a gt3rs, Srs or the like?
987.2 Spyder and R are great and IMO peak Porsche of that generation. Very classy lines for both, Spyder top is epic with just the sun shade on. But, for me, the GT chassis and 4.0 upgrade suited me better. Occasionally, while in the 718 I miss the sun shade but nothing else. Love my 718 Spyder, but for the same reasons looking forward to the Spyder RS…

I would only buy the watch if a dealer told me it was a requirement OR you genuinely liked it and would wear it. I wouldn’t think keeping it for resale would be a winning strategy.

You can check out Chrono24 for similar new in box PD watches…it’s pretty abysmal on resale.

You can always do something fun with a current watch to tie in to your P-car.
Shookie (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 12:21 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Germandude
well, I picked up my SRS on 15th December but due to the bad weather here in Germany it is sleeping in the garage. What I can tell you guys that the SRS looks magnificent in real life. Pics can not reflect the real image.
That is extremely selfish of you to have a new SRS, but not have driven it so you can share your impressions with the world!

While we all wait for better weather, we’d all love to see some photos of your new Spyder RS-
Old 01-14-2024, 12:23 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
That is extremely selfish of you to have a new SRS, but not have driven it so you can share your impressions with the world!

While we all wait for better weather, we’d all love to see some photos of your new Spyder RS-
Haha. Yea- Porsche did this to me back in December, 2015 when I took delivery of my 2016 981 Spyder. It sat in the garage until April.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:13 PM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

It seems free stripes are included again

picture from instagram

Mike981S (01-23-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:14 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
It seems free stripes are included again

picture from instagram
Can you elaborate please?
Old 01-14-2024, 07:32 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Hopefully they have that sorted by my May build date!

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread