Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Slate Gray GT4 comes home!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 11:12 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by sraj
Back on topic, let me repeat that your color looks great in photos, and I would love to see it in person! As far as Chalk, I was decidedly unsure about it at first, but one day I just "got it", and decided it was the only possible choice for my order. It still takes my breath away when I see it.
Thank you! Appreciate the compliment. It’s also great that the Chalk still takes your breath away! It’s wonderful when the choices we make create joy!

Old 07-04-2021, 07:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Just passed 700 miles.

It’s official: I LOVE this PDK!

At CnC yesterday there was a Slate Grey 911 next to me and Agate Grey behind.

Agate, Slate Y97, Slate metallic

Slate metallic (reserved only for 911 and Slate Grey Y97)
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 07:53 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Great color. Somehow visually there is a clash between the color of the brake caliper and the color of the car/wheel combination.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:58 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

^ Thanks HenryPcar. It’s very personal and subjective. I absolutely love the little bit of yellow against the grey. I would also have been happy with red, but I prefer yellow. And to me, the rotors and calipers are like jewelry.

I’m not a huge fan of the wheel design of this generation - I preferred the 981. This wheel is too much like a flower to my eye although I’ve gotten used to it (when it first came out I strongly disliked the wheel). I like a wheel you can see through, that somewhat “disappears” in order to get a good view of the rotor and caliper.

There is no yellow inside the cabin (other than the key blades). I initially questioned my decision regarding the stitching but I’m very happy with the simple, low—key interior theme of black with grey/silver. But to me, that little pop of a yellow caliper is what sets off the grey! Of course, to each their own!

Last edited by needmoregarage; 11-30-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:36 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 675 Posts

new rims are only a click or two away!

BBS F1-R
Old 07-05-2021, 09:45 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
new rims are only a click or two away!
BBS F1-R
True.^

For now I’ll stay with the OEM and see how I feel about them after I’ve lived with them.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 07-06-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:33 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I think the yellow calipers pop really nicely against the Y97 Slate! I guess it's good we don't all have the same opinions on things; otherwise the world would get boring.

As to a wheel option for the GT4 I'm considering the lightweight brushed dark clear HRE R101s since I like that brushed metal look a lot. I had brushed P101s on my 2014 Carrera 4S and more people would say good things about the wheels more than the car itself... so I guess they made for some pretty stunning "jewelry" as you called it. Their lightweight version comes in at only 16 pounds for the front wheel and 19.4 pounds for the rear.

On this wrapped GT4 they look super-sharp and the wrap is somewhat close to Slate.

More at https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/po...hed-dark-clear
and https://www.hrewheels.com/files/R101...eet-2017-1.pdf

Last edited by StormRune; 07-05-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:46 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
True.^

For now I’ll stay with the OEM and see how I feel about them after I’ve lived with them.
Theyr
If you ever look to sell the stock wheels please let me know. I sometimes regret picking silver over platinum satin...

(Ps I think the slate, platinum satin and yellow brakes look great!)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:55 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks StormRune^
Those wheels do look sharp and that wrap is funky!
Old 07-05-2021, 12:07 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vcp13
If you ever look to sell the stock wheels please let me know. I sometimes regret picking silver over platinum satin...

(Ps I think the slate, platinum satin and yellow brakes look great!)
I will ping you if I decide to sell. Thanks for the compliment.

I appreciate wheels that contrast and also wheels that blend in.
On our purple 991RS we spec’s silver wheels and uprights with PCCB. I absolutely loved that combo.
On the Grey GT4s I prefer the monolithic look of all one color (or as close as possible), hence the platinum.
It makes the car look longer and lower. Of course I prefer contrasting calipers as previously mentioned.

We had a Lambo for awhile and had two sets of wheels: silver Apollo’s came on the car, and we bought a set of dark charcoal Callistos - they were almost black but essentially matched the tire color. When I looked at profile photos of the car wearing the different sets, it was striking how much the color and pattern of the wheel affected how tall, short, long, “stubby” the car looked. It was a three stage pearl paint called Balloon White (with bright red leather interior). It looked like a pearl. Silvery in some light, white in other light but always a glow or sheen from the depth of the paint. The silver wheels blended and made it a long, low machine. The dark wheels broke it into thirds, and had a more aggressive look (silver were for street, dark were for track). The car came with black calipers on CCBs. The only mod we did was painting calipers to red to tie into the interior. It was a classic combo.

Wheel color and pattern (to my eye) makes a big impact.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 07-21-2021 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

It was nice meeting you on Saturday. Your car is beautiful and I would have absolutely ordered the yellow calipers as you did. I also think yellow in the interior can be a bit much - you have to be careful with it.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 07-05-2021, 05:52 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mr. W! Nice to meet you and your wife. Thanks for the kind words.
I still can’t get over the paint on your car. I love it!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:17 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Just short of 1000 miles! Absolutely LOVE it.

P1 Designs seat inserts are newly installed.
I am thrilled with the outcome! Thanks Kim for exceeding expectations and the excellent and detailed communication through the entire process.

Thanks also to Sewickley Porsche Service Manager Duane, who suggested this fabric when I told him I was looking for alternatives. Brilliant idea and he sourced the fabric for me from Germany and shipped it to P1. I never saw it (other than photos) until today. It was a little gamble but I trust Duane and (once again) his advice was perfect and I am very pleased!

The fabric is called “Porsche Script” and it was available on 911 and 944 in the 1980s. I love that it’s a genuine factory option, and that the fabric was sourced from Germany. It checked all the boxes for me!

Will report back once I get some seat time.

Before and after

Great instructions

My little splash of yellow in the cabin.

I wanted SUBTLE and this fabric delivered the look I want: unique, factory, subtle. Just like Slate Grey👍🏼

Nice storage bags to keep originals clean

Last edited by needmoregarage; 07-09-2021 at 08:23 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
Frank Torres (05-02-2022), halfmonkey (07-09-2021), josephr25 (07-10-2021), JP4931 (07-09-2021), P1Designs (07-11-2021), phefner (07-09-2021), PistolPete (07-09-2021), Tennyson (07-25-2021), tigerhonaker (07-10-2021), UncleDude (07-10-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2021, 09:21 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

^^^Didn't even know those inserts were such a thing. Looks cool and very subtle. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:45 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
^^^Didn't even know those inserts were such a thing. Looks cool and very subtle. Thanks for sharing.
I read about them in a thread at least a year ago. I began looking for fabric and never found “the one”. Go to P1 Design’s web site and check out their patterns and colors. Lots of plaid, plus houndstooth and others. Lots of choices to go with a variety of color schemes. They sent swatches of three but I was still searching for something unique. They will work with you if you supply your own fabric, or they will also search for alternatives based on your request.

I knew I was going to opt for an insert because I made them for my 981 GT4. Went to the fabric store looking for a grey with red accent fabric (to go with my Agate Grey and red caliper/stitching). Never found anything I loved, but bought some fabric, made the covers after removing the factory covers. It was just “okay”. I thought they were fun, different, unique and easily removed when I got tired of them. I didn’t do a terribly professional job but I was okay with the end result. Very cheap, but upon close inspection you could tell it wasn’t a great job.

P1 Designs provides the ENTIRE insert. They offer options like memory foam, built-in lumbar support, harness pass-through, etc. I opted for the memory foam and I’ve read many accounts of people saying they are much more comfy than factory. When you receive the P1 product, it’s the entire insert including foam core. You remove the factory insert and P1 Designs provides nice storage bags. You insert the new cushions and if you decide to change back to the factory cushions, you can easily put them back. And you could potentially sell the P1 Designs products at the end of their life if you sell the car (by putting factory inserts back in place). I’ve seen the cushions for sale when folks sell the car.

It looks factory, and if you search Rennlist you’ll see other accounts of happy customers. And P1 Designs has a gallery of photos of installs from customers. They are filling a market need. I don’t know how much this option would have cost if I had looked into CXX (if it were even possible) but I suspect that buying this product is far less expensive and a lot faster than ordering through Porsche Special Wishes (CXX) which requires a minimum expenditure of $3000, and paint to sample DOES NOT COUNT toward the $3000 minimum.
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
P1Designs (07-11-2021), tigerhonaker (07-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Slate Gray GT4 comes home!