Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Slate Gray GT4 comes home!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:58 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I read about them in a thread at least a year ago. I began looking for fabric and never found “the one”. Go to P1 Design’s web site and check out their patterns and colors. Lots of plaid, plus houndstooth and others. Lots of choices to go with a variety of color schemes. They sent swatches of three but I was still searching for something unique. They will work with you if you supply your own fabric, or they will also search for alternatives based on your request.

I knew I was going to opt for an insert because I made them for my 981 GT4. Went to the fabric store looking for a grey with red accent fabric (to go with my Agate Grey and red caliper/stitching). Never found anything I loved, but bought some fabric, made the covers after removing the factory covers. It was just “okay”. I thought they were fun, different, unique and easily removed when I got tired of them. I didn’t do a terribly professional job but I was okay with the end result. Very cheap, but upon close inspection you could tell it wasn’t a great job.

P1 Designs provides the ENTIRE insert. They offer options like memory foam, built-in lumbar support, harness pass-through, etc. I opted for the memory foam and I’ve read many accounts of people saying they are much more comfy than factory. When you receive the P1 product, it’s the entire insert including foam core. You remove the factory insert and P1 Designs provides nice storage bags. You insert the new cushions and if you decide to change back to the factory cushions, you can easily put them back. And you could potentially sell the P1 Designs products at the end of their life if you sell the car (by putting factory inserts back in place). I’ve seen the cushions for sale when folks sell the car.

It looks factory, and if you search Rennlist you’ll see other accounts of happy customers. And P1 Designs has a gallery of photos of installs from customers. They are filling a market need. I don’t know how much this option would have cost if I had looked into CXX (if it were even possible) but I suspect that buying this product is far less expensive and a lot faster than ordering through Porsche Special Wishes (CXX) which requires a minimum expenditure of $3000, and paint to sample DOES NOT COUNT toward the $3000 minimum.
needmoregarage ...........
Carol,

Now that to me is the way Porsche should have offered as at least an option.
That looks Awesome and as you said looks totally OEM.

Absolutely perfect,
Terry
Old 07-10-2021, 02:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks Terry!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:08 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

I wonder. If Slate Gray was one of the paint options, along with Chalk; how many Chalk would they sell?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:42 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Update as of 7/19/21:

Days of ownership = 32.
Total miles = 2072.

Best gas mileage was 27.4 at the end of 320 mile trip.

It has exceeded every expectation except exhaust note which met expectations (and I’m fine with it).
I especially love the PDK, and the PCCB are spectacular in performance.

It’s official. I love it!

The P1 Designs inserts with memory foam bring comfort like never before in LWB.
A couple friends sat in it and quickly asked for P1’s contact info to order their own. VERY happy with my choices.

The following 5 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
dnimi123 (07-21-2021), P1Designs (07-21-2021), phefner (07-20-2021), sgreer78 (07-25-2021), tigerhonaker (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:27 PM
sraj
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
I wonder. If Slate Gray was one of the paint options, along with Chalk; how many Chalk would they sell?
Both are great colors. I am ecstatic with my Chalk BGTS4, and wouldn’t trade it for Slate or anything else, but I really like the Slate. However, to me they are quite different…Slate is on the darker side and more of an Agate competitor, while Chalk would be among the lighter color choices, like GT or Carrera.

Last edited by sraj; 07-20-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:33 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 675 Posts

Update as of 7/19/21:

Days of ownership = 32.
Total miles = 2072.

It has exceeded every expectation except exhaust note which met expectations (and I’m fine with it).

A couple friends sat in it and quickly asked for P1’s contact info to order their own. VERY happy with my choices.

Awesome! Its great when someone with your experience loves a car that the rest of us own and enjoy. So if you will keep the stock exhaust, will you also not adjust the suspension with toe links to get a better alignment specs. I only ask because just today I went for a drive with a Spyder owner, whose car is totally stock, and the difference between that car and my GT4 with toe links, a mild street alignment and the DSC controller was night and day. The stock Spyder was very sloppy by comparison and the GT4 had no loss of compliance or comfort. It would be great to hear your thoughts on the suspension and handling of the GT4. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
phefner (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:56 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

^dnimi123 - thank you for the very kind words.

Your back to back comparison is interesting! I’m undecided at this point on the alignment. I’m inclined to max out the camber within the factory capability, rather than put after market bits on the suspension (like I did last time). I was driving relatively “gently” last weekend because I was “breaking myself in” after two years away from the track. Combine that with a brand new car, and completely different feel with brakes and I wanted to take it easy.

The stock suspension was very good, but I wasn’t pushing hard, and there was some understeer and I know if I was pushing more there’d be more understeer, when it was completely dialed out of my last GT4 with suspension mods. But if I”m only doing 9 track days per year (on average) as opposed to 25+, do I really want to compromise the ride in favor of 9 days per year?

I’d like to find a reasonable solution. Any street car is a compromise, and I’m trying to keep it compliant (to the extent possible) for street driving while fun and safe for the track. So I’m taking my time and continuing to drive and enjoy it while I decide whether I’ll modify the suspension.

I did confirm that the AWE air foils I installed on the 981 GT4 absolutely worked, as the buffeting in the 718 GT4 was borderline unbearable. I tried ear plugs but that created a different set of issues (I like being able to hear the car, and traffic). My AWE foils just arrived today and will be installed ASAP. I always wondered if they made a difference, and for me - it was significant.

I would probably not go with a DSC controller - it would be overkill for me. I’m not keeping times or chasing 10ths. I’m just out there having fun and certainly not the fastest nor terribly aggressive. I may go with the toe links, but I’ll talk to my service manager as he’s given me great advice in the past, and he knows how I like to use the car. I also try to keep my husband’s preference in mind. Turns out he likes it far more than expected (which is great - I’d rather we both enjoy), and it comes down to how I’ll use it and what works best for me/us.

I do not miss the manual at all. A manual can be fun, and the 981 was one of the best I’ve ever had (and I assume the 718 would be equally spectacular) but I simply don’t require a manual transmission to enjoy a car.

phefner (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:29 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 934 Posts

Update as of 7/19/21:

Days of ownership = 32.
Total miles = 2072.

How are the PCCB's working our for you? Do they squeak at all?

I optioned the PCCB's on my build as well, but won't get mine until Nov. The one I test drove had PCCB's and they didn't make a peep, not even braking slowly and lightly. I am hoping mine are just like that.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:15 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 675 Posts

YOU are awesome! Please keep us posted on any mods you do. Thanks and enjoy your beautiful GT4.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I owned the first slate 981 GT4 and have had other GT cars in slate. It’s just an iconic color you never get tired of looking at. Your car absolutely stunning. Enjoy in good health.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:38 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06

I optioned the PCCB's on my build as well, but won't get mine until Nov. The one I test drove had PCCB's and they didn't make a peep, not even braking slowly and lightly. I am hoping mine are just like that.
They have been silent, and are on another level from the excellent steel brakes on the 981 GT4. I had zero complaints on those brakes, and these are even better. We’ve had PCCB on two previous cars, and in both cases they were silent and did a great job (991.1 GT3RS and Lambo LP560-4). In both cases - made by Brembo.

Originally Posted by dnimi123
YOU are awesome! Please keep us posted on any mods you do. Thanks and enjoy your beautiful GT4.
Thanks dnimi123! You’re very kind and I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by FORENN
I owned the first slate 981 GT4 and have had other GT cars in slate. It’s just an iconic color you never get tired of looking at. Your car absolutely stunning. Enjoy in good health.
Thank you and if you are inclined I’d enjoy seeing photos of your cars! If I could have gotten a PTS allocation for my 981 GT4, it would have been Slate Grey - but I was lucky to get a late build slot. I was happy with Agate and came to love it over time - but so far, the Slate Grey is much easier to live with and doesn’t show dirt nearly as much as the Agate. I was a bit concerned thinking a non-metallic might show dirt more easily but I guess it’s always a combination of the shade of paint and metallic or not. In this case, the shade of grey is very forgiving. And it’s one more reason I love the car!
Old 07-25-2021, 06:25 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts

I have owned several cars with CCB including few Porsches , and for the most part , they have been quiet except for an occasional squeak which has never been an issue.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

A very important thing to remember with PCCBs, as I've read/heard several times, is to avoid getting harsh cleaners and especially wax-containing products on the surface of the rotors and pads. Since CCB rotors are microscopically porous, waxes etc will apparently get caught in the material of the disc and pads and is one of the leading reasons of CCBs squeaking.

To me, this supports the idea of using PPF and ceramic coating on CCB cars and wheels instead of waxes since using no waxes at all reduces the chance of accidentally getting wax solutions on the brake rotors. It's also another great reason to avoid any drive though car wash since they will blast both acid and waxes onto everything on the car.

The guy in this video below recommends pH-neutral cleaners with no additives:
Old 04-30-2022, 08:59 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
I have owned several cars with CCB including few Porsches , and for the most part , they have been quiet except for an occasional squeak which has never been an issue.
Same here!

Originally Posted by StormRune
A very important thing to remember with PCCBs, as I've read/heard several times, is to avoid getting harsh cleaners and especially wax-containing products on the surface of the rotors and pads. Since CCB rotors are microscopically porous, waxes etc will apparently get caught in the material of the disc and pads and is one of the leading reasons of CCBs squeaking.

To me, this supports the idea of using PPF and ceramic coating on CCB cars and wheels instead of waxes since using no waxes at all reduces the chance of accidentally getting wax solutions on the brake rotors. It's also another great reason to avoid any drive though car wash since they will blast both acid and waxes onto everything on the car.

The guy in this video below recommends pH-neutral cleaners with no additives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtTV6QksouY
A very late reply but nonetheless thank you for posting this information.

Today I turned 4000 miles on the ODO! Also was surprised to hearing a tiny bit of squealing from the brakes. Nothing that would bother me at all, but it’s the first brake squeal I’ve experienced in a PCCB car. We don’t use waxes or harsh chemicals but I’ll double check with hubby since he loves to wash cars and does all the washing in the past few years. In fact it’s just finishing it’s first bath of 2022 as I write this.

I’m about 10 months into ownership, but it wasn’t driven for five winter months. I’ve got some catching up to do!
tigerhonaker (05-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Slate Gray GT4 comes home!