Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Slate Gray GT4 comes home!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by 998R
Congrats! I love it!

Cheers,
Harry.
Thanks Harry, me too!

Originally Posted by IRM
Very nice. Did you end up fitting the P1 inserts?
They are being made and I am looking forward to getting them in the car. Will post pics once they’re in. I expect it’ll be a couple weeks (at least) as I just placed the order).

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Beautiful, and like the little bit of yellow bling on the brakes.

Turnpike? Are you in PA?
Thank you. It’s funny - I love grey and am not a huge fan of yellow, but I like the two against each other (yellow bling as you say). I didn’t opt for yellow belts mostly because a seat belt isn’t something I wish to highlight, and I wasn’t sure how they’d show dirt so I stayed with black. I didn’t really want yellow on the interior, but I love the yellow calipers against the grey. We had a Racing Yellow GT4 for awhile, and while it’s a gorgeous color it showed every spec of dirt and I learned I’m just not a “yellow-car-person”. It also attracted insects, especially bees, like crazy!

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Congratulations, enjoy her in good health.
Thank you Patrick3000!
Old 06-20-2021, 12:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
wow congrats! love to see this parked next to my 6601 slate grey! can't wait to see it at the next CnC
neurotic, your GT3RS has been my absolute favorite paint color/decal scheme for a Porsche ever since I first saw it. Wonderful!

And OP, that slate gray along with that PCCB caliper/ wheel color combo is fabulous! You have me second-guessing my order for Shark Blue, dammit.
Until recently I had a Jaguar I-Pace, their full electric model, and that used a slightly lighter solid gray. I was surprised how many times total strangers came up and commented about really liking the color and look of that car; more times than on any Porsche color I've ever had. I'll bet you'll experience that and then some!

Despite that recent popularity trend you mentioned though, It is still a perfect choice on your GT4.
The following users liked this post:
neurotic (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 804 Likes on 369 Posts

Gorgeous, congrats! Not seeing a lot of green undertones there. I guess those are more prevalent with 6601.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Nice color.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:38 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
neurotic, your GT3RS has been my absolute favorite paint color/decal scheme for a Porsche ever since I first saw it. Wonderful!

And OP, that slate gray along with that PCCB caliper/ wheel color combo is fabulous! You have me second-guessing my order for Shark Blue, dammit.
Until recently I had a Jaguar I-Pace, their full electric model, and that used a slightly lighter solid gray. I was surprised how many times total strangers came up and commented about really liking the color and look of that car; more times than on any Porsche color I've ever had. I'll bet you'll experience that and then some!

Despite that recent popularity trend you mentioned though, It is still a perfect choice on your GT4.
Thank you StormRune. So far I’m getting lots of thumbs up from high school/college age men. Not sure exactly what that means but the kids on our street seem to like it. And I think the GT4 wears it exceedingly well compared to an SUV, and I am thrilled with my paint choice. I haven’t seen Shark Blue yet in person but it looks like another spectacular shade of blue!

I fully agree regarding neurotic’s GT3RS - it’s a gorgeous color. I wanted something a bit more “stealth”. Choosing was not easy, but I ultimately went with my “gut”. I’ve loved Slate Grey since the first time I saw it some years ago. Then I saw it again at Rennsport Reunion in 2015, and again at a swap meet, and each time I saw it, it reinforced that if I could ever do PTS - it HAD to be Slate Grey.

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Gorgeous, congrats! Not seeing a lot of green undertones there. I guess those are more prevalent with 6601.
Thanks Jamie. Can’t detect any green. There’s a little blue in some lights (like in the garage which has a combo of fluorescent and LED) - but it mostly looks ‘pure” grey to me which I really like.

Originally Posted by blackland
Nice color.
Thanks!

This afternoon we were getting it ready for a road trip tomorrow which would have added roughly 450 miles. Discovered a screw in the front tire. It didn’t penetrate completely and isn’t currently leaking, but it’s a deal breaker for the trip and of course for the track. Plans are changed and I’m hoping a new tire can be quickly sourced. Hubby also discovered the chin spoiler wasn’t correctly installed by the PPF guy so he removed it and put it on properly. That explained the five extra fasteners that were with the remaining PDI kit which is to be completed Thursday. Leftover fasteners are ALWAYS a bad thing!

Bummed about the tire as the weather would have been perfect for an out and back trip tomorrow but it’s been changed so I can get the tire replaced and PDI completed. And I’m very glad we discovered the screw today, and didn’t have a surprise along the trip. THAT would have been unfortunate. It’s a good reminder to be diligent about looking over the tires before any trip. Better to catch this at home as opposed to the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-22-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:14 PM
sraj
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That color is what Chalk GT4s dream about when they sleep. Beautiful.
I am partial to gray cars, and this one is beautiful, but completely different than Chalk. Not a good comparison.

The following 3 users liked this post by sraj:
dnimi123 (06-29-2021), Guaji (06-29-2021), masti99 (07-25-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 12:21 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 828 Posts
Thumbs up

Carol,

That's a bummer with the screw in the Brand-New Cup 2 tire.

Congratulations on receiving the New Machine.

Terry
Old 06-23-2021, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by sraj
I am partial to gray cars, and this one is beautiful, but completely different than Chalk. Not a good comparison.
Exactly. That was my point. Slate is the amazing color that Chalk aspires to be, but doesn't quite pull off.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:06 PM
sraj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Exactly. That was my point. Slate is the amazing color that Chalk aspires to be, but doesn't quite pull off.
Not sure why you chose to $hit on Chalk in a Slate Gray thread, but whatever, you be you dude.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:49 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Wow, great looking car!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Not sure why you chose to $hit on Chalk in a Slate Gray thread, but whatever, you be you dude.
Not sure why you massively overreact to a passing comment, but whatever, you be you dude.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
dnimi123 (06-29-2021), phefner (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 02:40 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 675 Posts

While we might agree that @Archimedes is an acquired taste for some... I dont think (in this case at least) he was being disrespectful or condescending but rather "cheeky" or playful in his personification of the colors and how they might 'dream' of each other... if in fact they were able to 'dream'. Personally I like to see both colors but would choose the slate grey as I think its a richer color overall. Plus its nice to see owners brave enough to go PTS! I, like Archi, went for the offered GT Silver which is a nice color too.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Wow, great looking car!

Mr. Wolfe
Thank you. Hoping to see your car at CnC.

Originally Posted by dnimi123
While we might agree that @Archimedes is an acquired taste for some... I dont think (in this case at least) he was being disrespectful or condescending but rather "cheeky" or playful in his personification of the colors and how they might 'dream' of each other... if in fact they were able to 'dream'. Personally I like to see both colors but would choose the slate grey as I think its a richer color overall. Plus its nice to see owners brave enough to go PTS! I, like Archi, went for the offered GT Silver which is a nice color too.
I agree with your assessment of the comments. You did a nice job of articulating how I perceived the words written by Archimedes about a color dreaming (which was a very interesting thing to think of and it would never occur to me). I agree they are both nice colors although Chalk is not a color I would choose for a variety of reasons, but it looks nice on the cars I’ve seen. Just not my “cup of tea”.

GT Silver was the color on my order before I knew whether I could get PTS. I love silver cars, and it’s timeless and is also very practical (looks clean even when dirty). I think silver shows the lines beautifully and highlights the tension and muscular nature of the design. There is enough light and shade and variation of color that the GT4 wears it very well in my opinion. The non-metallic colors sometimes don’t show the “muscles” as well, but in the case of Slate Grey it has enough other properties that I love that I chose it anyway.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:05 PM
sraj
Advanced

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thank you. Hoping to see your car at CnC.

I agree with your assessment of the comments. You did a nice job of articulating how I perceived the words written by Archimedes about a color dreaming (which was a very interesting thing to think of and it would never occur to me). I agree they are both nice colors although Chalk is not a color I would choose for a variety of reasons, but it looks nice on the cars I’ve seen. Just not my “cup of tea”.

GT Silver was the color on my order before I knew whether I could get PTS. I love silver cars, and it’s timeless and is also very practical (looks clean even when dirty). I think silver shows the lines beautifully and highlights the tension and muscular nature of the design. There is enough light and shade and variation of color that the GT4 wears it very well in my opinion. The non-metallic colors sometimes don’t show the “muscles” as well, but in the case of Slate Grey it has enough other properties that I love that I chose it anyway.
I probably did overreact, but to me the post added an unnecessary dose of negativity to what had been an upbeat thread.

Back on topic, let me repeat that your color looks great in photos, and I would love to see it in person! As far as Chalk, I was decidedly unsure about it at first, but one day I just "got it", and decided it was the only possible choice for my order. It still takes my breath away when I see it.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I probably did overreact, but to me the post added an unnecessary dose of negativity to what had been an upbeat thread.
Except there was zero negativity to my original post, explicit or implied. It was a passing comment about how certain PTS colors are special.

Quick Reply: Slate Gray GT4 comes home!