Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulywanacracker
Are those about 18 or 20 MM plugs?
Was this answered?
Old 10-03-2021, 02:00 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Was this answered?
No, because it's Top Secret?
Old 10-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Are those about 18 or 20 MM plugs?
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Was this answered?
No, because it's Top Secret?
Well... if the inner diameter of the pipe is 25mm then the outside is a lot bigger than 18-22mm!
The following users liked this post:
Paulywanacracker (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 04:15 PM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Here you go, Janko is installing an exhaust valve controller and he has to get into the engine compartment to do it...

It is queued up and ready to watch!

https://youtu.be/lsFIEPHEfjc?t=860
Thank you for posting.
WARNING: I've accessed there engine twice and shredded my hands and fingers both times. The area around the engine and beneath the intake manifold are full of metal clips and securing pieces the are as sharp as knives.
BTW: John and the folks at Soul are extremely customer focused and a pleasure to work with.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:27 PM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

Well... if the inner diameter of the pipe is 25mm then the outside is a lot bigger than 18-22mm!
The caps from Soul are 25mm and are a tight fit over the pipes (just as you would want). I struggled to get them over the pipes, so after a while I applied some grease to the inside of the cap. This seemed like a plausible idea until between the grease and my sweat the little bugger jumped out of my hand and landed somewhere in the bowels of the engine compartment. Sometime soon I'll lift the car and take the 30 minutes required to remove the underbody panels where I hope to find the cap.
I called Soul to enquire about getting another cap, left a message and long after business hours John called me back and told me not to worry, she'd take care of it. These are some wonderful folks at Soul.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by houstonbuckeye
Thank you for posting.
WARNING: I've accessed there engine twice and shredded my hands and fingers both times. The area around the engine and beneath the intake manifold are full of metal clips and securing pieces the are as sharp as knives.
BTW: John and the folks at Soul are extremely customer focused and a pleasure to work with.
You're welcome, I found that if you don't shed a little blood then you can't possibly be one with the machine...

Originally Posted by houstonbuckeye
The caps from Soul are 25mm and are a tight fit over the pipes (just as you would want). I struggled to get them over the pipes, so after a while I applied some grease to the inside of the cap. This seemed like a plausible idea until between the grease and my sweat the little bugger jumped out of my hand and landed somewhere in the bowels of the engine compartment. Sometime soon I'll lift the car and take the 30 minutes required to remove the underbody panels where I hope to find the cap.
I called Soul to enquire about getting another cap, left a message and long after business hours John called me back and told me not to worry, she'd take care of it. These are some wonderful folks at Soul.
As for the caps, perhaps softening them in a bowl of hot water before installation would help?

I had the "you've got to be kidding me" experience during installation of the valve controller, watched as a locking tab flew up and over my hand to disappear into the depths... I figured if I wanted it back I would have go after it right away as there are openings in the bottom trays.

About an hour later I was back to where I had left off.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:57 PM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

You're welcome, I found that if you don't shed a little blood then you can't possibly be one with the machine...

As for the caps, perhaps softening them in a bowl of hot water before installation would help?

I had the "you've got to be kidding me" experience during installation of the valve controller, watched as a locking tab flew up and over my hand to disappear into the depths... I figured if I wanted it back I would have go after it right away as there are openings in the bottom trays.

I ended up disconnecting the vacuum line to the diaphragm valve on the symposer line. I left the line in place as I didn't have a way to cap both the open ends if I removed the symposer line.
The valve controller was a particularly brutal bit of work. I pretty much followed Janko's video, but getting my hand far enough down to disconnect the controller electrical connection was an exercise not to be repeated. Of course once the plug is disconnected there is no turning back. Fortunately plugging the valve controller into the electrical plugs was much easier than I feared it would be. After securing the controller box and wiring and cleaning up all the blood I dripped all over the intake and the engine compartment surround, getting the cover, etc. was pretty easy.
Now to find that little red cap.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank You, this stands to reason.

I was wondering; If the 25mm fits very tight, but fits nice and snug with warming, how should the 26mm fit? Very loose? Or just right?
Old 10-04-2021, 06:13 PM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

I was wondering; If the 25mm fits very tight, but fits nice and snug with warming, how should the 26mm fit? Very loose? Or just right?
26mm should be fine. Regardless of how tight it seems to fit, I would use a zip-tie to secure the cap,
Old 10-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I didn't measure the outer diameter of these, nor did I go this route, I installed the internal plugs seen earlier in the thread.

It would make sense that Soul choose the closest standard size that could be stretched over the fitting ends to proved a good seal.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:02 PM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Does this make a noticeable difference when cruising at ~75mph in 6th w/ the manual transmission?
Old 10-29-2021, 12:11 AM
DerekHK
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Hihi, I'm planning to take the whole Sound Symposer out. Can someone tell me all the materials I need for this mod? I see there are many different kinds of plugs etc. I just want to make sure I have everything before this mod. Thanks in advance!
I think I will order some Dynamat or Second Skin sound deadening material. What else do I need? What kind of plugs and how many of them? Thanks!
doug751 (01-14-2022)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:17 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekHK
Hihi, I'm planning to take the whole Sound Symposer out. Can someone tell me all the materials I need for this mod? I see there are many different kinds of plugs etc. I just want to make sure I have everything before this mod. Thanks in advance!
I think I will order some Dynamat or Second Skin sound deadening material. What else do I need? What kind of plugs and how many of them? Thanks!
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ispreloading=1

Start at Page 1.
UncleDude (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:24 AM
houstonbuckeye
Intermediate

I removed the symposer line between the vacuum activated valve and the plastic piece that transmits sound through the firewall.
I installed 1" drain plugs purchased on Amazon,
Amazon Amazon
. I used zip ties to secure the plugs to the lines into which they are inserted so they wouldn't end up rattling around the engine bay if they were to come loose.
I also disconnected the vacuum line for the valve actuator, capping the metal line with a rubber cap purchased at a local auto parts store. The lines were secured using zip ties
Parts I used: 2 x 1" drain plugs (Amazon), rubber cap (purchased in a package of various sizes) and zip ties.
I tried rubber caps, but was not able to stretch them over the open tubes.
Once you have access to the engine, the job is simple. But it is challenging to work in such a small area that is not particularly easy to reach.

Last edited by houstonbuckeye; 10-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.
alwaysdriving (11-02-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:03 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,052 Likes on 1,752 Posts

@houstonbuckeye did you notice a difference in sound? (which car do you have again?)

Quick Reply: SOUL | Drone Reduction Sound Symposer Delete