Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Special Edition 718 Spyder - 000 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022 | 05:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Pete, do you have an overall photo standing back more?
Old 05-19-2022 | 06:09 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete C

I had my dealer paint the intakes and roof flaps. Much better looking than the black plastic.
There are several ways to change it up - different intakes (mine are from the GT4), paint the Spyder the emblem, etc.

Old 05-19-2022 | 08:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smilin
ummm…yes
Okay, some updates & thoughts a year~ after the 000 Package was announced…

First, I want to be clear that 000's contribution was limited to "editing" visual elements and equipment to create the 000 Package, then working with the Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur teams in Zuffenhausen and Atlanta to turn an idea into a reality. That project ended up being fun, and our hats are off to them for finding solutions that allowed worldwide availability. We never expected that, and seeing cars with the 000 Package delivered in distant lands is exhilarating. I should probably also note that 000 doesn't make a dime from these cars. Back in 2020, we were more curious to see where the road went and didn't know if the result would get a green light. Or if anyone would actually order one.

Fortunately, the road turned into its own reward, and one of the most interesting experiences I've had in 25 years spent studying Porsche full time — up there, in its own way, with driving a Carrera GT or a 917K. Why? It offered an eye into just how tricky building even a small number of cars can be. Or, perhaps more accurately, a tiny peek. Upshot: It isn't (anywhere near) easy. As the scope became clear, the Exclusive team in Zuffenhausen asked how many orders 000 hoped to see. "Five," we said, not so confidently (we would've been thrilled with two, or even one!). Last time I checked in, the number was ~4x our stated goal. How many will be built when all is said and done with the current 718? Who knows, but I suspect the 000 Package will be quite rare.

It has also been interesting to see how customers spec’d the cars. Several went further with options than I might have, but that's what options are all about. And some of their builds, along with larger trends and other cars introduced in the meantime, have me thinking about these cars differently than I did in 2020. I view the 718 Spyder — as in, every 718 Spyder — as an even better value now than I did during the long drive to Pikes Peak that planted the seed for this project. And that’s saying something, as I viewed it as one of Porsche’s most compelling models at the time. Somewhere in Utah, I realized I could easily keep driving all the way to Nebraska. Now add the handling, 4.0-liter flat six, shifter, brakes, great looks, everyday usability, twin trunks, etc etc. If I wanted to get down to one Porsche, I thought, the 718 Spyder would be high on a very short list. But there's something else that wasn't so clear back then…

While "this is the last Porsche with ____________" tends to be overblown in my view, more and more signals suggest we really are nearing the end of mid-engined, gasoline-fueled Porsche roadsters for the masses, and I just happen to prefer manual gearboxes in street cars to boot. So, as we appear to be barreling toward the end of a fabulous epoch, the 000 Package adds a curious footnote to a story that goes back to 1996. Or 1993. Or 1953. And I like curious footnotes.

My thanks to those here who ordered one. You're welcome over for lunch, anytime…

Last edited by stout; 05-19-2022 at 08:36 PM.
The following 12 users liked this post by stout:
6IXSPD (05-20-2022), JAhmed (05-20-2022), JPMD (05-25-2022), K-Nut (09-14-2022), ngamountains (05-19-2022), porschemeister (05-20-2022), sin911 (05-20-2022), smilin (05-19-2022), UncleDude (05-19-2022), wdr911 (05-20-2022), whojoemama (05-20-2022), Wilder (03-27-2023) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-2022 | 11:21 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
Okay, some updates & thoughts a year~ after the 000 Package was announced…

First, I want to be clear that 000's contribution was limited to "editing" visual elements and equipment to create the 000 Package, then working with the Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur teams in Zuffenhausen and Atlanta to turn an idea into a reality. That project ended up being fun, and our hats are off to them for finding solutions that allowed worldwide availability. We never expected that, and seeing cars with the 000 Package delivered in distant lands is exhilarating. I should probably also note that 000 doesn't make a dime from these cars. Back in 2020, we were more curious to see where the road went and didn't know if the result would get a green light. Or if anyone would actually order one.

Fortunately, the road turned into its own reward, and one of the most interesting experiences I've had in 25 years spent studying Porsche full time — up there, in its own way, with driving a Carrera GT or a 917K. Why? It offered an eye into just how tricky building even a small number of cars can be. Or, perhaps more accurately, a tiny peek. Upshot: It isn't (anywhere near) easy. As the scope became clear, the Exclusive team in Zuffenhausen asked how many orders 000 hoped to see. "Five," we said, not so confidently (we would've been thrilled with two, or even one!). Last time I checked in, the number was ~4x our stated goal. How many will be built when all is said and done with the current 718? Who knows, but I suspect the 000 Package will be quite rare.

It has also been interesting to see how customers spec’d the cars. Several went further with options than I might have, but that's what options are all about. And some of their builds, along with larger trends and other cars introduced in the meantime, have me thinking about these cars differently than I did in 2020. I view the 718 Spyder — as in, every 718 Spyder — as an even better value now than I did during the long drive to Pikes Peak that planted the seed for this project. And that’s saying something, as I viewed it as one of Porsche’s most compelling models at the time. Somewhere in Utah, I realized I could easily keep driving all the way to Nebraska. Now add the handling, 4.0-liter flat six, shifter, brakes, great looks, everyday usability, twin trunks, etc etc. If I wanted to get down to one Porsche, I thought, the 718 Spyder would be high on a very short list. But there's something else that wasn't so clear back then…

While "this is the last Porsche with ____________" tends to be overblown in my view, more and more signals suggest we really are nearing the end of mid-engined, gasoline-fueled Porsche roadsters for the masses, and I just happen to prefer manual gearboxes in street cars to boot. So, as we appear to be barreling toward the end of a fabulous epoch, the 000 Package adds a curious footnote to a story that goes back to 1996. Or 1993. Or 1953. And I like curious footnotes.

My thanks to those here who ordered one. You're welcome over for lunch, anytime…
How would you spec one for yourself?
Old 05-20-2022 | 12:11 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
How would you spec one for yourself?
The basics:
  • 6MT
  • LWB
  • PCCB
  • PTS? (see below)
Wouldn't need much more, but my exact spec is below, in prep for the 000 Package (many options are included in the 000 spec price):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMRPR74

Spec is easy, and I could do without the extra leather bits. Picking a color would be the hard part. I initially favored Slate Grey, as my current 911 is Brewster Green (these two are among my all-time favorite Porsche colors). Then I spent some time around a "regular" 718 Spyder in GT Silver and it's very hard to argue with a Spyder in silver. Also like that GT Silver + Ascot is so evocative of the CGT, and I have yet to see a 000 Package car in silver — or, for that matter, one in Albert Blue, which was the easiest color for me to discard until someone posted a "regular" 718 Spyder in PTS Albert Blue here on RL.

Right now, it'd be between GT or Albert…
The following 2 users liked this post by stout:
Larry Cable (05-28-2022), UncleDude (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 07:03 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Pete, the 000 edition is really something special. The 718 Spyder by itself is a wonderful car to begin with and building a rare spec on top of it is an amazing opportunity!

My journey for the Spyder was a bit of a draw of the draw back in 2020. Found a dealer willing to give me an allocation at MSRP thanks to a few forum members, and the dealership exchanged a GT4 allocation for the Spyder that was locking in less than a week. This was an out of state dealer and I was out of the country halfway around the world while ordering.

At that moment I did not consider PTS due to the outrageous cost. If I was to pick a PTS color for the Spyder, it would be Slate Gray (the lighter shade) or Oak Green Metallic.

One thing that bothers me about the Spyders are lack of color choices on the interior. Yes, while this is the product of the GT department, it is a roadster and therefore should allow more colorful choices (especially on the interior). To be perfectly transparent I am jealous of the interior color choices present in the Boxster GTS 4.0.

If I could go back in time, seeing how the 000 editions turned out, I would have gone for a similar interior build. The 000 edition interior looks very upscale compared to Leather/Alcantara combination available on the standard Spyder.

Last edited by sin911; 05-20-2022 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stout (05-24-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 09:45 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
The basics:
  • 6MT
  • LWB
  • PCCB
  • PTS? (see below)
Wouldn't need much more, but my exact spec is below, in prep for the 000 Package (many options are included in the 000 spec price):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMRPR74

Spec is easy, and I could do without the extra leather bits. Picking a color would be the hard part. I initially favored Slate Grey, as my current 911 is Brewster Green (these two are among my all-time favorite Porsche colors). Then I spent some time around a "regular" 718 Spyder in GT Silver and it's very hard to argue with a Spyder in silver. Also like that GT Silver + Ascot is so evocative of the CGT, and I have yet to see a 000 Package car in silver — or, for that matter, one in Albert Blue, which was the easiest color for me to discard until someone posted a "regular" 718 Spyder in PTS Albert Blue here on RL.

Right now, it'd be between GT or Albert…
Pete, nicely done, and I have to agree with your 'basics' my Spyder has them as well, they truly connect me to the car. Oh, and I think Albert Blue just might work too.
stout (05-24-2022)
Old 05-25-2022 | 01:03 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

When I read about the 000 Spyder design in the magazine way back when, I then asked my dealer to let me know if they ever got a slot for a 000 Spyder build. About a week ago I got the call that I could order one now. Next step is a call scheduled 5/27 with the PCNA Exclusive Manufaktur representative to spec the build.

Naturally, as most anyone would, after getting pricing info I asked myself if this was a financially rational decision. If I got a build slot for a "regular" 718 Spyder I could create something very much to my liking for much less $. I've spec'd several Porsches in the past and was always happy with the result. But I then whispered to myself "since when is rational financial thinking a primary deciding factor when ordering a Porsche?". And I answered to myself: "Never, don't kid yourself otherwise". So I'm going for it and expect this to be a fun process.

I built and got a 718 GT4 a while back in GT silver with all the performance trimmings - great car. I also built a 2017 Spyder in blue that was lovely. I subsequently sold them to a couple of friends.

Here is what I'm thinking and anyone's criticisms and/or suggestions and encouragement are welcomed. Often the group is smarter than any one individual.

- Albert blue
- carbon buckets
- PCCB
- LED headlights
- 6MT
- the minor accoutrements like 2 zone hvac, Bose, dimming mirrors, etc.

I'm hoping this will be a nice addition to my little Porsche stable and I'll post some updates along the way if there is any interest among you.

Old 05-25-2022 | 02:02 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peloton
I also built a 2017 Spyder in blue that was lovely.
Man, I gotta see that one. Of one.
Old 05-25-2022 | 02:04 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

When I read about the 000 Spyder design in the magazine way back when, I then asked my dealer to let me know if they ever got a slot for a 000 Spyder build. About a week ago I got the call that I could order one now. Next step is a call scheduled 5/27 with the PCNA Exclusive Manufaktur representative to spec the build.

Naturally, as most anyone would, after getting pricing info I asked myself if this was a financially rational decision. If I got a build slot for a "regular" 718 Spyder I could create something very much to my liking for much less $. I've spec'd several Porsches in the past and was always happy with the result. But I then whispered to myself "since when is rational financial thinking a primary deciding factor when ordering a Porsche?". And I answered to myself: "Never, don't kid yourself otherwise". So I'm going for it and expect this to be a fun process.

I built and got a 718 GT4 a while back in GT silver with all the performance trimmings - great car. I also built a 2017 Spyder in blue that was lovely. I subsequently sold them to a couple of friends.

Here is what I'm thinking and anyone's criticisms and/or suggestions and encouragement are welcomed. Often the group is smarter than any one individual.

- Albert blue
- carbon buckets
- PCCB
- LED headlights
- 6MT

I'm hoping this will be a nice addition to my little Porsche stable and I'll post some updates along the way if there is any interest among you.
I have a fairly loaded Spyder(127k MSRP) and you hit all the big points. 6MT, PDLS+, Buckets, PCCB, Bose are all must haves with a PTS color on the 000 Spyder. I originally wanted an allocation and to do a 000 Spyder or PTS but couldn't find an allocation below a 20k ADM which made me not want to spend 170k+ on a Spyder.
Old 05-25-2022 | 04:15 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

I get it about spending the ADM. Mine will be MSRP plus cost of front end clear film and 2nd year OEM service.
Old 05-28-2022 | 03:44 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
Pete, the 000 edition is really something special. The 718 Spyder by itself is a wonderful car to begin with and building a rare spec on top of it is an amazing opportunity!

My journey for the Spyder was a bit of a draw of the draw back in 2020. Found a dealer willing to give me an allocation at MSRP thanks to a few forum members, and the dealership exchanged a GT4 allocation for the Spyder that was locking in less than a week. This was an out of state dealer and I was out of the country halfway around the world while ordering.

At that moment I did not consider PTS due to the outrageous cost. If I was to pick a PTS color for the Spyder, it would be Slate Gray (the lighter shade) or Oak Green Metallic.

One thing that bothers me about the Spyders are lack of color choices on the interior. Yes, while this is the product of the GT department, it is a roadster and therefore should allow more colorful choices (especially on the interior). To be perfectly transparent I am jealous of the interior color choices present in the Boxster GTS 4.0.

If I could go back in time, seeing how the 000 editions turned out, I would have gone for a similar interior build. The 000 edition interior looks very upscale compared to Leather/Alcantara combination available on the standard Spyder.
Fully agree the 718 Spyder is a wonderful car on its own, and I paid the previous outrageous price for PTS on my 911 ($8k, which felt crazy after the previous price for PTS) but have to say that the car's color and PCCB are elements I enjoy every time I am in or around the car.

Also agree about 718 GTS interior color selection vs 718 Spyder selection…which is what sort of led to the creation of the 000 Package. We wanted to delete the Alcantara, and once you're doing that, you're paying for most of the 000 package. As for adding PTS on top, I'm now more and more interested to see one in GT Silver/Ascot. I might not need PTS…

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Pete, nicely done, and I have to agree with your 'basics' my Spyder has them as well, they truly connect me to the car. Oh, and I think Albert Blue just might work too.
Yep, the Spyder doesn't need a lot of options—much like my old GT4, which had very little in the way of options. I think it was gray anodized dash trim, PLDS, Bose, fire extinguisher, and some no-cost options like silver wheels, smoking package, etc.

Albert is stunning on the 718 Spyder. I favored Meerblau for the blue offered with the 000 Package…until I saw one here on RL.

- Albert blue
- carbon buckets
- PCCB
- LED headlights
- 6MT

Totally irrational. And yet perfectly logical.

LEDs are already in the package, as we favor them on the 982 not only for great lighting but because they make the 718 look noticeably more exotic.

I'd love to hear about your journey as it goes!

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I have a fairly loaded Spyder(127k MSRP) and you hit all the big points. 6MT, PDLS+, Buckets, PCCB, Bose are all must haves with a PTS color on the 000 Spyder. I originally wanted an allocation and to do a 000 Spyder or PTS but couldn't find an allocation below a 20k ADM which made me not want to spend 170k+ on a Spyder.
^ We're very closely aligned in our preferences. I went PLDS+ on my GT4 and two 911s, but we spec'd LEDs on the 000 Package.

Completely agree on ADM, and this is a case where I'd ask several dealers how much I'd need to spend on options before they'll agree to drop ADM. Might offset some of the 000 Package price, and I am all for anything that avoids ADM or a forced watch purchase.

Last edited by stout; 05-28-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2022 | 12:04 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete C

I had my dealer paint the intakes and roof flaps. Much better looking than the black plastic.
Looks good but be very careful with installing/removing the flaps as they can scratch that pretty easily.
Old 05-31-2022 | 01:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Looks good but be very careful with installing/removing the flaps as they can scratch that pretty easily.
IMHO there are places that the un-painted black plastic make perfect sense, after a decent number of miles I can see dozens of small hit and nicks in certain trim pieces, had these been unprotected painted surfaces the damage would be obvious.
Old 06-15-2022 | 01:40 PM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Default 000 Spyder order update

The CXX order has been accepted at PAG. The configurator options are the same as when I ordered the 718 GT4: 6MT, ceramic brakes, LWB's, the usual stuff. Ordered Albert blue paint.

Other than that, I went off the reservation just a little bit with the CXX to see if I could add a bit more Ascot with pebble stitch to the interior. So the accepted order includes steering column casing in Ascot with the pebble stitch, plus gear shift boot in the same combo and tossed in an Ascot leather shift ****.

Supposedly an October delivery, this has been a fun order process so far.
sin911 (06-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Special Edition 718 Spyder - 000 Edition