Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 04:11 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 864 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
Mine moved up two weeks, then moved back a week. It landed at the dealer a week after the date. The dealer had it for a few days before I signed papers and then another few days after that to get PPF. It was delivered to my garage by truck as I didn’t want to drive the summer tires on snow and ice with freezing temps. I am in Minnesota.

My all season tires are on back order and will arrive in early March, then I can go for a drive. I gave my deposit for the car two the dealer in June, 2021. It will be a three season car. My truck is all season and I have a Ferrari that only goes out in nice weather (two season).
Congrats!
We're neighbors!
You are brave taking a sports car out (even with all seasons) with the pot holes around town this year! They're brutal!
Old 01-29-2023, 04:58 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Posing this question here because most/all of you should have some experience and insights.

Elated that I got a buildable CGTS 4.0 allocation, I spent a little time on the configurator speccing a build. This means it was nearly my first try at a build and I had planned to refine it over time. I shared it with my SA, who said something like "Thank you for being so thoughtful with the build."

I placed a deposit in Nov and the idea was to do Euro Delivery in May or June. I didn’t want the car much before then. I offered to do ED because the dealer gets an extra 718 allocation and I wouldn’t mind. As for ED itself, I am indifferent and could take it or leave it. But if it can benefit my dealer, who has been good to me, glad to accommodate.

Given the timing of the deposit, first shot at the configurator, and the expected ED timing, I figured I had plenty of time before a build locked. You can probably guess where this is going by now.

Without any communication from my dealer or SA (other than emails about a Taycan I am helping a non-Porsche friend build and obtain), there was no communication about the Cayman GTS 4.0. Until I got an email from Porsche last week informing me that my car had finished production.

I wasn’t even sure if it was real. But I sent it to my SA who confirmed it. He also LMK that ED was likely no longer an option because Porsche Germany had oversold the slots. (No problem on that, of course, for me.)

But the build was not finished. There’s stuff in it I don’t want (namely interior color) and stuff not in it I want (namely deviated stitching and more leather). I have had a preliminary conversation with my SA and I believe they will work with me.

It seems I have a few choices, assuming everyone agrees that I should have been informed of the build lock date (which I just learned was early Dec.) and should not be bound to take the car.

#1 Simply agree that the dealer will take and sell the car and hope that I get another CGTS 4.0 allocation, assuming the dealer gets any, about which they said they have no idea but would likely give me one.

#2 Take the car, drive it around the block, and bring it back to the dealer for them to sell "pre-owned," so now they can charge market price for it, whatever that may be. I would do this option only if they agreed to make me substantially whole, which may be a challenge after taxes, fees, etc.

#3 Take the car and trade it to another dealer who has hinted they may have an allocation for me with timing that better suits my schedule (later this year).

#4 Take the car and sell it in the open market, though I don’t really want to do this if one of the other dealers (original or second one mentioned) could benefit from it. I am not looking to profit from this option but would like to get out without any loss.

Real question is Is this issue nearly 100% on the dealer for not being more communicative with me about timing of lock, etc.?

What was your experience with your dealer’s communication pre-lock?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:09 PM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Posing this question here because most/all of you should have some experience and insights.

Elated that I got a buildable CGTS 4.0 allocation, I spent a little time on the configurator speccing a build. This means it was nearly my first try at a build and I had planned to refine it over time. I shared it with my SA, who said something like "Thank you for being so thoughtful with the build."

I placed a deposit in Nov and the idea was to do Euro Delivery in May or June. I didn’t want the car much before then. I offered to do ED because the dealer gets an extra 718 allocation and I wouldn’t mind. As for ED itself, I am indifferent and could take it or leave it. But if it can benefit my dealer, who has been good to me, glad to accommodate.

Given the timing of the deposit, first shot at the configurator, and the expected ED timing, I figured I had plenty of time before a build locked. You can probably guess where this is going by now.

Without any communication from my dealer or SA (other than emails about a Taycan I am helping a non-Porsche friend build and obtain), there was no communication about the Cayman GTS 4.0. Until I got an email from Porsche last week informing me that my car had finished production.

I wasn’t even sure if it was real. But I sent it to my SA who confirmed it. He also LMK that ED was likely no longer an option because Porsche Germany had oversold the slots. (No problem on that, of course, for me.)

But the build was not finished. There’s stuff in it I don’t want (namely interior color) and stuff not in it I want (namely deviated stitching and more leather). I have had a preliminary conversation with my SA and I believe they will work with me.

It seems I have a few choices, assuming everyone agrees that I should have been informed of the build lock date (which I just learned was early Dec.) and should not be bound to take the car.

#1 Simply agree that the dealer will take and sell the car and hope that I get another CGTS 4.0 allocation, assuming the dealer gets any, about which they said they have no idea but would likely give me one.

#2 Take the car, drive it around the block, and bring it back to the dealer for them to sell "pre-owned," so now they can charge market price for it, whatever that may be. I would do this option only if they agreed to make me substantially whole, which may be a challenge after taxes, fees, etc.

#3 Take the car and trade it to another dealer who has hinted they may have an allocation for me with timing that better suits my schedule (later this year).

#4 Take the car and sell it in the open market, though I don’t really want to do this if one of the other dealers (original or second one mentioned) could benefit from it. I am not looking to profit from this option but would like to get out without any loss.

Real question is Is this issue nearly 100% on the dealer for not being more communicative with me about timing of lock, etc.?

Obviously terrible communication from the dealer, so I won't pound on them any more than I'm sure you already have. But me, I'd take the car and drive it(you may learn more about your likes/want/dislikes) and use this learning to better spec your next car. Thenn use it for trade bait toward another allocation, might help you move up the line.
The following 3 users liked this post by yellolab:
fxmixer (01-29-2023), HelpMeHelpU (01-30-2023), SpyderGent (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 05:15 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

What was your experience with your dealer’s communication.
My SA told me the lock date when we spec’s it out. We communicated shortly before the lock date because the Bose option had been temporarily made unavailable and I discovered on my own that it was available again.

Porsche communicated to me via email about the lock date before it locked in via the emails regarding the build tracking. I was already tracking it because I had nothing better to do and I was anxious.

I can only praise the work done by my dealer and SA in Mpls. It was my 3rd car purchased new from them.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:49 PM
santiago660
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Joining the waiting room - GT4.

12/22 Ordered, Commission # , V200
01/23 Minor change to build before freeze point
01/23 Freeze point reached

Expected Production: 02/23

The following 3 users liked this post by santiago660:
fxmixer (01-29-2023), SpyderGent (01-30-2023), Xxyion (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:27 PM
fxmixer
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 75 Posts

That's a quick turnaround!
Old 01-30-2023, 11:53 AM
elitex
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Supreme Ace docked at Davisville. Getting closer and closer.
The following users liked this post:
yellolab (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 06:00 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 864 Likes on 458 Posts

Brutal
I'd keep it but would negotiate a better deal on the car. They dropped the ball by not guiding you through the buying process - which is their one and only job...
All the other options you listed above have risk that you don't end up with a car. I don't know that too many dealerships will have more allocations later this year given end of life - a dealership hinting they MIGHT have one wouldn't be enough for me to risk.
If you keep it and end up really unhappy (which I doubt), you could always sell it and break even it sounds like.
Sorry about this though - that really sucks.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:55 PM
SW6
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Officially Done Waiting

After 11.5 months waiting finally took delivery today. Of course it snowed a bit overnight. Even the short 2 mile drive home from the dealer was amazing! This is going to be fun. Off to PPF and ceramic tomorrow.
The following 8 users liked this post by SW6:
elitex (01-30-2023), EXFIB (01-31-2023), fxmixer (01-30-2023), gt4sf (01-30-2023), JAhmed (01-31-2023), l30thelion (02-01-2023), Rich M (01-30-2023), SpyderGent (01-30-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:14 AM
santiago660
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fxmixer
That's a quick turnaround!
It’s MM/YY
SpyderGent (01-31-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:06 AM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by elitex
Full steam ahead.
18.8kn. whats that like 20/21 mph?
Ive been waiting since August for my GTS.
yellolab (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:45 AM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by elitex
yes! Later tonight arrival to jacksonville it seems, hopefully they unload/process quickly!!! I just may have my GTS later next week(needs to come uo the NC)
justbob (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:01 PM
moskasa
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else have a vehicle on the Siem Confucius? My father in law's GT4RS is on board. Looks like it makes a stop in Halifax on the 3rd or 4th then on to Baltimore by the 9th. It's being deliver to a dealer in NJ, assuming Baltimore would be the port it would arrive to? I think our plan is to take care of the 1000 mile break-in within the first 2 days of ownership by driving it from NJ to South Florida in 2 days. If he doesn't decide to ship it, I'll be sure to document the journey!
The following 2 users liked this post by moskasa:
EXFIB (02-01-2023), SpyderGent (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 02:53 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by moskasa
Anyone else have a vehicle on the Siem Confucius? My father in law's GT4RS is on board. Looks like it makes a stop in Halifax on the 3rd or 4th then on to Baltimore by the 9th. It's being deliver to a dealer in NJ, assuming Baltimore would be the port it would arrive to? I think our plan is to take care of the 1000 mile break-in within the first 2 days of ownership by driving it from NJ to South Florida in 2 days. If he doesn't decide to ship it, I'll be sure to document the journey!
Im on this boat, and it indeed will be stopping in to Baltimore on the 9th/10th.
I'm in PA, and your GT4RS will 100% be at the MD port.
moskasa (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:22 PM
5senna5
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SW6

After 11.5 months waiting finally took delivery today. Of course it snowed a bit overnight. Even the short 2 mile drive home from the dealer was amazing! This is going to be fun. Off to PPF and ceramic tomorrow.
Thought I recognized that delivery bay, we picked up our '22 Macan GTS from Porsche StL in August. I also just had a CPO '22 BGTS in Chalk delivered last week from Rocklin Porsche in Sacramento, just in time for this awesome St.Louis weather...

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room for 718 Spyder / GT4 / GTS Delivery...