Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Shark Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 04:29 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Received shark blue theme Porsche GT3 watch yesterday - three months or so after the car itself was delivered and both the car and watch were ordered on the same day.

paid around $12,500 with sales tax - and an extra strap. Titanium case, the leather is stamped porsche car leather, and the vin is engraved on the back of the watch and on the crazy heavy giant watch case.

the clear back allows the GT3 wheel in neodyme - the same as my GT3. Fully self winding and the dials are preceded by the Rolex Daytona. The watch loses around 50 % immediately after delivery.

Buying the watch was part of the deal to get the allocation - but it did reduce the ADM by about the cost of the watch. Yellow stitching matches the yellow RPM gauge and yellow rpm hand in the car.

a very nicely made watch and beautifully packaged - and maybe it will help sell the GT3 when it is sold someday.

I offered to buy one of the new Shark blue painted Porsche bikes but the dealer preferred to sell the watch. The bike would have been around $15,000.
a nice feature is the quick strap disconnect buttons on either side of the case back. Just push the little knurled button and the strap pops off. You can also order a metal bracelet but a lot more money and the colored leather strap seems more aligned with the cars design.

I believe the leather color is technically Riviera blue - they likely use the scraps of leather left over from cutting the Riviera blue interior leather when the interior leather is cut on the water jet table for the car. Turns out the watch is actually $24,000 as my wife says she deserves a piece of jewelry of the same value - she didn’t care about the $250,000 GT3 but the Porsche watch required equality and inclusion in her mind. I offered to give her this watch but she chuckled and walked away saying “good try buddy”…

Old 02-10-2024, 12:24 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 829 Likes on 443 Posts

^^ I appreciate finely crafted and well made products in general, but I simply have never been a "watch" guy. I just can't wrap my head around the cost (ex that strap to me looks like a $2 item) no pun intended!... I'm sure there are plenty of "watch" people here that will be pulling out their blow torches
I would also have preferred the bike
Old 02-10-2024, 12:52 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Actually the strap is very well made and very high quality- leather straps for many high end watches can cost $500 to thousands of dollars. And a high quality automatic self winding mechanism can cost into the tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If you are not into nice watches you are lucky and don’t start looking at high end watches like Rolex or this Porsche watch — it will cost you more than your cars. The same satisfaction of driving a beautifully crafted Porsche vehicle is what high end watches provide when you look down at your wrist.

I also bought a Rubystar Neo painted Porsche electric bike for my wife and also a shark blue Porsche electric bike - negotiated a 15% discount on both. The bikes are custom assembled and painted in Germany by a high end bike company named Rotwild. PECLA is going to display my 911T 2023 Rubystar Neo 911 ( gloss black aerokit) with the Rubystar Neo bike mounted to the Porsche accessory rails and porsche bike rack accessory starting on February 15 for several weeks.

the Rubystar Neo painted Porsche electric bike was delivered to PECLA several weeks ago so I have not seen the bike yet in “person”. Unfortunately the GT3 does not offer the configurator option of adding the accessory rail preparation -small metal brackets that pop up out of the rubber roof stripe.

These Porsche bikes are all carbon fiber and. Weigh less than 50 pounds—-

The following users liked this post:
MrFunk (02-10-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by magnus89
@BabyNSX your car looks great!

Back on topic…

First visit to the office, coworkers love the color

First (US) fill up, even the fuel cap has shark blue!

Where do you work? That parking structure seems slightly familiar.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:23 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
^^ I appreciate finely crafted and well made products in general, but I simply have never been a "watch" guy. I just can't wrap my head around the cost (ex that strap to me looks like a $2 item) no pun intended!... I'm sure there are plenty of "watch" people here that will be pulling out their blow torches
If you think about it, the same attraction to Porsches is similar to that of high end watches. You can buy cheaper cars that can potentially outperform a Porsche. So why do we buy Porsches?? Because, yes, they are well made. But it is more than that. We are buying into the brand. But why? Because there is tradition and heritage and a racing lineage behind the name. Owning a Porsche makes one feel like they are part of that heritage or at least buying into it. Same goes for high end watches. A Casio keeps better time than a Rolex and obviously is significantly cheaper. But the Rolex has so much history and tradition behind it that makes you feel a part of it. Like the Porsche, it is not only about its intended purpose, but it is a piece of art in and of itself. At least that is my take on it.

PS….BabyNSX, your car is beautiful!!!!
BabyNSX (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I am a watch guy but the Porsche watch is not very good IMO. You can buy a lot of watch from better, more historied watch makers from $8-$12k and those actually have resale value.

The Porsche watch movement is nothing special and I do not find the design particularly attractive. I get that some people are forced to get one to get an allocation but there is almost zero secondary market for these. If you have the choice, a Submariner will cost you less and you can offload it for what you paid. Or, for less money, a Zineth El Premeiro or IWC Portugieser will give you a much better movement and classic looks.
Mike981S (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 03:55 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I am a watch guy but the Porsche watch is not very good IMO. You can buy a lot of watch from better, more historied watch makers from $8-$12k and those actually have resale value.

The Porsche watch movement is nothing special and I do not find the design particularly attractive. I get that some people are forced to get one to get an allocation but there is almost zero secondary market for these. If you have the choice, a Submariner will cost you less and you can offload it for what you paid. Or, for less money, a Zineth El Premeiro or IWC Portugieser will give you a much better movement and classic looks.
Agreed 100% I'm not a big watch person, but the only reason I would buy a Porsche watch was if I was forced to... for the money there are so many better options as you point out.

This is a photo thread... so here is another :P

The following 3 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
MaddMike (02-12-2024), Mike981S (02-12-2024), PawpaBare (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:09 PM
PawpaBare
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
Agreed 100% I'm not a big watch person, but the only reason I would buy a Porsche watch was if I was forced to... for the money there are so many better options as you point out.

This is a photo thread... so here is another :P
Hey NSX,

Very tasteful mods! The car looks fantastic overall. What wheels are those?

Cheers,
​​​​​​​PB
BabyNSX (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:49 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Actually the Porsche watch is a nice piece -- quality wise -- as good as any Rolex-- I have couple. But would I buy one without the allocation for a car I wanted? Probably not. They sell for about 60% of the retail price on Chrono24 -- so they definitely depreciate. But still cheaper than another $10,000 cash ADM fee. I think the dealers get some sort of bonus for selling some of these.

I know a guy at Porsche in Atlanta offices and he says they have a new configurator coming out that will offer to new car allocations-- watches, bikes, luggage and so on. If they are smart they would price these at a discount with a car allocation.

the Box that Porsche sends the watch in is really well done-- better than the green Rolex cheap boxes. Comes with an engraved plaque with your Vin number and also the VIn is engraved on the back of the watch-- and you do get to spec the watch colors and design just like you do the cars.

They need to offer the watch with a blue dial as well as black and white.

Might help sell the shark Blue GT3 someday since it "GOES" with the actual car.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:15 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PawpaBare
Hey NSX,

Very tasteful mods! The car looks fantastic overall. What wheels are those?

Cheers,
PB
Thanks for the feedback!!

These are 20" Apex VS-5RS wheels in Anthracite:
https://apexwheels.com/vehicles/pors...ize=20x11-et50

Old 02-12-2024, 07:14 PM
magnus89
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Where do you work? That parking structure seems slightly familiar.
As Forrest would say, “some kind of fruit company” in Silicon Valley.

The following 5 users liked this post by magnus89:
BabyNSX (02-12-2024), Le Petit Garage (02-12-2024), PawpaBare (02-13-2024), SpeedySpidey (02-12-2024), Xxyion (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:28 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

As Forrest would say, “some kind of fruit company” in Silicon Valley.

Haha nice. Me and @BabyNSX are also in the Bay Area, we'll keep an eye out for your car on the road! I am unfortunetly not in a Posche anymore, but waiting on a new allocation so hopefully soon!
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
BabyNSX (02-12-2024), magnus89 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:37 PM
magnus89
Instructor

Received 354 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Haha nice. Me and @BabyNSX are also in the Bay Area, we'll keep an eye out for your car on the road! I am unfortunetly not in a Posche anymore, but waiting on a new allocation so hopefully soon!
I am not even the coolest Cayman in my (small) office parking deck, there are two GT4s and even a 000 Spyder! :-o
BabyNSX (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:06 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

I am not even the coolest Cayman in my (small) office parking deck, there are two GT4s and even a 000 Spyder! :-o
Yeah i'm also in big tech and some of the money you see flying around is nuts. Before COVID i remember seeing daily driven Astons, Ferraris, McLarens and Porsches.

one day...
Old 02-12-2024, 08:59 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Do you find yourself and/or the rest of your "crew" going out for any weekend drives? If so don't be afraid to reach out
magnus89 (02-14-2024)

Quick Reply: The Official Shark Blue Color Thread