Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021 | 11:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by OS10 BLU Spyder
@Knotty Skink Whilst I feel your pain about the situation, my January build Spyder still hasn’t left the factory. I do think it’s unreasonable to expect the dealer to offer any more than fair market value (trade) for your car, which I believe they have offered, as options add little to trade values.
Except it is unreasonable when Porsche is the reason the car is being sold. It’s essentially a forced sale. In that case, Porsche has to compensate them for that.

So you would be okay if Porsche bought back your car one month after purchase and you lost all your TTL and drive off depreciation? Even the insurance companies don’t F you like that when you wreck a brand new car.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-08-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 11:42 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except it is unreasonable when Porsche is the reason the car is being sold. It’s essentially a forced sale. In that case, Porsche has to compensate them for that.

So you would be okay if Porsche bought back your car one month after purchase and you lost all your TTL and drive off depreciation? Even the insurance companies don’t F you like that when you wreck a brand new car.
Agree with everything you wrote, except the discussion is not what Porsche is offering but rather the dealer.

Put yourself in the dealers shoes, what do you think FMV on a 1 year old recall GTS would be? IMHO CPO be lucky to get $110K.
Old 04-07-2021 | 11:54 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Agree with everything you wrote, except the discussion is not what Porsche is offering but rather the dealer.

Put yourself in the dealers shoes, what do you think FMV on a 1 year old recall GTS would be? IMHO CPO be lucky to get $110K.
The dealer should be going back to Porsche for compensation. Every owner who is affected by this should have the option of a buyback/cancellation. I don’t think they should all take advantage of it, but it should be an option.

BTW, the dealer could have at least agreed to consign the car for nothing, versus the raping they proposed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (04-08-2021), Noah Fect (04-07-2021), Z06jerry (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 12:21 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Today's PCA e-Brake issue has the following:In March 2021, Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that connecting rods in 190 2021 718 Spyders, 718 Cayman GT4s, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0s, and 718 Boxster GTS 4.0s may crack and loosen, resulting in engine damage. PCNA says it is recalling the affected cars and will replace the engines of vehicles already delivered to customers.

According to an NHTSA document provided to us by a PCA member, a faulty connecting rod “may cause engine damage, a stall, or an oil leak, increasing the risk of a crash or fire.” PCNA has already notified the 20 owners who have taken delivery of affected cars and will replace the engines free of charge. The recall begins May 23, 2021. "For customers whose cars have not been delivered and are being held at port as part of the stop sale, we are currently determining the best solution with the highest degree of safety and quality that they have come to expect from Porsche," a PCNA spokesperson says.

PCNA also provided Porsche Club of America with an official statement about the recall: “The safety of anyone travelling in one of our cars is our highest priority. For this reason, we regularly conduct quality checks on our cars – both old and new. As part of this work a supplier has informed us that a batch of connecting rods did not meet the standards we expect had been fitted to a total of 190 cars – a mix of 718 Cayman GT4, 718 Spyder and 718 GTS 4.0 models. Of these cars, 20 have been delivered to customers, every one of whom has already been contacted and will be offered a temporary replacement car while the work is carried out. There are no known incidents associated with this issue, nevertheless we immediately contacted our affected customers and notified NHTSA upon learning of it. We will, out of an abundance of caution, be replacing the engines in the affected vehicles already delivered. Anyone concerned by this issue and who’s not been contacted in the next few days can be reassured that their car is unaffected.”

Please pay particular attention to the last sentence of PCNA's statement, as the majority of 718 Spyders, 718 Cayman GT4s, 718 Boxster GTS 4.0s, and 718 Cayman GTS 4.0s are not affected by this recall.
Old 04-07-2021 | 12:49 PM
lee_337
Instructor

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Here’s the update from Canada. The Porsche rep reached out to a few of us today, and we have a group chat going back channel.
Thanks for the update, I guess we have a couple week wait.

My sales rep mentioned more or less the same possibilities, judging by what was presented, it seems the motivation is to get cars off the dealership books. He mentioned 'Porsche Drive' as one of the options, which I think is Porsches version of ZipCar.

I was supposed to be receiving my car some time this month, I am leaning towards passing for a few reasons.

1 - My car sitting on a dealer lot for months is unappealing, it's not like it's a GT2, it's sitting outside somewhere.
2 - If the motor is going to be torn down, the risk associated with that is concerning, reliability, and resale spring to mind, this is a non-starter for me.
3 - Taking delivery of a convertible in Canada in October - November is less than ideal.
4 - Not driving, but insuring, storing and depreciating a car for the better part of a year, does not help the old balance sheet, or 'spark much joy'.
5 - Like many, this car was not intended to be a daily driver, compensation in the form of a rental / loaner adds little value to me.

I am planning on keeping an open mind and see what the plan is. I am not optimistic, dealers will not really have a hard time selling the cars, and it's not like Porsche dealers struggle with floor plan financing. As it's a relatively small number of cars, and an issue that does not have high level of PR exposure, I expect Porsche to do the bare minimum to solve the problem. It sounds like the plan is to leverage scarcity to shift the financial liability to customers wherever possible, to be clear I don't blame Porsche for this, they are a business, they want to make deals that benefit them.

People are pointing to what happened with the GT3 in 2014. I feel that this situation, although somewhat mechanically simalar, is significantly different. The GT3 was their halo car at the time, the issue affected all the cars, and some twice (all 4 cars used as ring taxis received a second replacement) quite a few cars had already been delivered, people were without their cars for a significant amount of time. This situation encompasses far fewer cars, many of which, have not been delivered.

I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by lee_337; 04-07-2021 at 12:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lee_337:
jeffreestylz (04-07-2021), pleasereset (04-12-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 01:21 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fhp911
Today's PCA e-Brake issue has the following:In March 2021, Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that connecting rods in 190 2021 718 Spyders, 718 Cayman GT4s, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0s, and 718 Boxster GTS 4.0s may crack and loosen, resulting in engine damage. PCNA says it is recalling the affected cars and will replace the engines of vehicles already delivered to customers.

According to an NHTSA document provided to us by a PCA member, a faulty connecting rod “may cause engine damage, a stall, or an oil leak, increasing the risk of a crash or fire.” PCNA has already notified the 20 owners who have taken delivery of affected cars and will replace the engines free of charge. The recall begins May 23, 2021. "For customers whose cars have not been delivered and are being held at port as part of the stop sale, we are currently determining the best solution with the highest degree of safety and quality that they have come to expect from Porsche," a PCNA spokesperson says.

PCNA also provided Porsche Club of America with an official statement about the recall: “The safety of anyone travelling in one of our cars is our highest priority. For this reason, we regularly conduct quality checks on our cars – both old and new. As part of this work a supplier has informed us that a batch of connecting rods did not meet the standards we expect had been fitted to a total of 190 cars – a mix of 718 Cayman GT4, 718 Spyder and 718 GTS 4.0 models. Of these cars, 20 have been delivered to customers, every one of whom has already been contacted and will be offered a temporary replacement car while the work is carried out. There are no known incidents associated with this issue, nevertheless we immediately contacted our affected customers and notified NHTSA upon learning of it. We will, out of an abundance of caution, be replacing the engines in the affected vehicles already delivered. Anyone concerned by this issue and who’s not been contacted in the next few days can be reassured that their car is unaffected.”

Please pay particular attention to the last sentence of PCNA's statement, as the majority of 718 Spyders, 718 Cayman GT4s, 718 Boxster GTS 4.0s, and 718 Cayman GTS 4.0s are not affected by this recall.
It is great to see that it's starting to be more shared, maybe that puts more pressure on Porsche to do the right thing.
At the same time, it does mean that more and more people will know about it, and later down the road,
even if it was repaired, if you were looking for a used 718 4l, wouldn't rather get one that didn't have to be repaired?
Old 04-07-2021 | 01:36 PM
MisterYe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sassdouille
even if it was repaired, if you were looking for a used 718 4l, wouldn't rather get one that didn't have to be repaired?
While I agree with this, is there evidence showing that the 2014 GT3s affected were having any hiccups on secondary market? It seems like because cars(GT) have been at such a shortage in the past decade, people are willing to take cars even if it's substantially repaired.

Jeff Jones (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 02:15 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

For anyone thinking an engine that's disassembled and reassembled, somewhere other than the factory, is the same as new...

Last edited by 987SCoupe; 04-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
Clementine33 (04-07-2021), Jeff Jones (04-07-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-07-2021), patdonahue (04-07-2021), RodJob2021 (04-08-2021), tigerhonaker (04-08-2021), UncleDude (04-07-2021), Z06jerry (04-07-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2021 | 02:26 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Compared to my worst nightmare about how this actually turns out:

The following 8 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
987SCoupe (04-07-2021), Clementine33 (04-07-2021), Martin0815 (04-08-2021), Noah Fect (04-07-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-07-2021), Rahtok (04-08-2021), RodJob2021 (04-08-2021), Webfiero (04-07-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2021 | 02:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Jeff, not helpful.
The following 4 users liked this post by UncleDude:
IrrationalCPA (04-07-2021), Jeff Jones (04-07-2021), psuwcc112 (04-07-2021), tigerhonaker (04-08-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 02:58 PM
Afrigon01
Advanced

Originally Posted by fhp911

On the other hand, there are a lot of people affected by the "Stop Sale"...not a fun experience either.
Old 04-07-2021 | 03:19 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Compared to my worst nightmare about how this actually turns out:
That's it, I would like to have a full engine replacement please . For some reason, that was how I would imagine the engine rebuild would look like at a Dealership. Not very confident inspiring. I did ask my Dealership to push for a total engine replacement, which they agree should be the case....we'll see how Porsche will respond. I also wrote back to Porsche's email that was sent to us regarding the recall asking them to consider replacing all 190 GT4/Spyder/GTS 4.0 affected by this recall with a new factory engine; in the spirit of inspiring confidence in the brand, customer loyalty, and PR opportunity.

Last edited by 808c2s; 04-07-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2021 | 03:24 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808c2s
That's it, I would like to have a full engine replacement please . For some reason, that was how I would imagine the engine rebuild would look like at a Dealership. Not very confident inspiring.
Sorry, that was all in fun...I need to laugh at times through this chaos. There is no way in hell that Porsche would allow this work to be done in any facility that wasn't prepared to do it well. If they are taking the path of repair, it will involve training and oversight to a level well beyond any normal dealer or port performed work.

I'm still with you that replace is the only path we should expect...whether it is the only path I would accept is TBD for me based on what we hear from Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
P-car-Vancouver (04-07-2021), Rahtok (04-08-2021), UncleDude (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021 | 03:29 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

So curious to hear from other people, if it was a repair, done in the right conditions (I know that can be a pretty wide array, but let's say).
Would you keep the car only if some form of compensation was offered to offset any negative impact on resale? (so separate from the depreciation aspect)
If yes, how much are we talking about here?
Old 04-07-2021 | 03:30 PM
psuwcc112
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee_337
Thanks for the update, I guess we have a couple week wait.

My sales rep mentioned more or less the same possibilities, judging by what was presented, it seems the motivation is to get cars off the dealership books. He mentioned 'Porsche Drive' as one of the options, which I think is Porsches version of ZipCar.

I was supposed to be receiving my car some time this month, I am leaning towards passing for a few reasons.

1 - My car sitting on a dealer lot for months is unappealing, it's not like it's a GT2, it's sitting outside somewhere.
2 - If the motor is going to be torn down, the risk associated with that is concerning, reliability, and resale spring to mind, this is a non-starter for me.
3 - Taking delivery of a convertible in Canada in October - November is less than ideal.
4 - Not driving, but insuring, storing and depreciating a car for the better part of a year, does not help the old balance sheet, or 'spark much joy'.
5 - Like many, this car was not intended to be a daily driver, compensation in the form of a rental / loaner adds little value to me.

I am planning on keeping an open mind and see what the plan is. I am not optimistic, dealers will not really have a hard time selling the cars, and it's not like Porsche dealers struggle with floor plan financing. As it's a relatively small number of cars, and an issue that does not have high level of PR exposure, I expect Porsche to do the bare minimum to solve the problem. It sounds like the plan is to leverage scarcity to shift the financial liability to customers wherever possible, to be clear I don't blame Porsche for this, they are a business, they want to make deals that benefit them.

People are pointing to what happened with the GT3 in 2014. I feel that this situation, although somewhat mechanically simalar, is significantly different. The GT3 was their halo car at the time, the issue affected all the cars, and some twice (all 4 cars used as ring taxis received a second replacement) quite a few cars had already been delivered, people were without their cars for a significant amount of time. This situation encompasses far fewer cars, many of which, have not been delivered.

I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
To be fair, I think we should be expecting a "Fair" treatment from Porsche AG/CNA as opposed to exact treatment as "GT3" owners. IMO, just because you paid a premium for a Porsche halo car does not imply we should be treated as 2nd tier customers, I don't think thats how brand loyalty/trust works. Also you have customers in this category thats willing to pay a premium to spec up a GT4/Spyder with comparable 992 911 S pricing, I dont think many will be happy with anything short of a fair treatment.

Last edited by psuwcc112; 04-07-2021 at 03:32 PM.
josephr25 (04-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4