Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021 | 11:51 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Definitely contact Porsche NA to open a case number assuming you are in the US. They should call you within a week or so. If not, call back. Jason Nelson is the guy at Porsche handling these claims. Through Jason, I have gotten my $4000 check (car delivered before stop sale), my $1000 Porsche Experience driving voucher, and a letter promising 8 yr warranty & a new engine in late May.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clementine33:
P-car-Vancouver (05-05-2021), porscheflat6 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021 | 08:04 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tmon
Did you do anything to get this response? 8 yr warranty, $4k + $1K. mine was delayed and have not received any offers.
I initially didn't get the communications because Porsche had an old email address on file. Call 1-800-PORSCHE and ask them to change your email address, then ask them to open a case to resend the email communications with the voucher codes. If you google "Jason Nelson Porsche", you'll find his email address if you need to escalate.
Old 05-05-2021 | 05:09 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

A friend shared this auction listing and I wanted to pass it along in case anyone is interested in a faster path to a 2021 Cayman GTS, albeit slightly used. Talk about the con rod issue has already surfaced in the comments (this one is not affected), so it will be interesting to see how this plays out if nothing else....

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...che-cayman-gts
Old 05-05-2021 | 06:15 PM
Sanjaghak
Advanced

It seems at this point I am the only one that never heard from Porsche even though I have a PTS Spyder sitting at the port (or maybe dealership, who knows at this point).
I mentioned this to my sales rep at the dealership few times and each time he just said they will contact you soon!!!
It is truly strange times. You wait for Years to the car to get announced, then wait months for your turn and even Porsche manages to cancel or delay your PTS build several times (if they would honor my original slot I would have my car for months with a good engine), order it and then this. I am sure Porsche NA knows my car (that VIN number) is part of this mess and still no one tried to contact me. Even if they do not have my contact info how hard it is for them to get it from the dealer? these are ~190 cards not like 10K!!!
At this point I am wondering why should I give my $140k of my hard earned money!
Old 05-05-2021 | 06:42 PM
johnycarrera
Advanced

Still ZERO word in the U.K.
Old 05-05-2021 | 07:50 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

I received some answers from PCNA today on a couple outstanding questions around how the cars held at port are being handled, etc. The answers didn't inspire confidence. They did, however, confirm the extended warranty has no mileage constraint, as someone else here recently confirmed in the interim.

More troubling, to me, is that the car will apparently remain outdoors at port until shipped to the dealer. Given my order was near the end of the line, that means sitting exposed for another 4-5 months in the Florida sunshine and seaport environment. I'm picturing what was a full black leather interior cracking and fading to gray, and paint that will be showing some bikini lines by the time I receive it.

Quote from PCNA's reply... "Unfortunately ports don’t have a lot of indoor space to house vehicles, however they will keep the protection film on the vehicles and do whatever they can to keep them in new condition."

Taken in combination with other responses indicating "... vehicle will be delivered to you in perfect working condition" made me recall the lawn mower I store under my back porch, being that it's in perfect working condition and all.
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
Paiceyfan (05-05-2021), UncleDude (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021 | 08:01 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Does the factory applied protection film have a end of use date? Not sure I would want that stuff sitting on the car in the sun for 6 months, as 987SCoupe sez..."bikini lines"
Old 05-06-2021 | 01:27 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

I’m not happy about my car being in port either. It is supposed to move on the 28th, and I can only surmise that the dealer won’t request it because they’ll have to pay for it (just guessing). Porsche said they’re no longer holding it. I might call the sales manager tomorrow. I try not to bug them too much lol.

I was talking to a local indy shop owner recently (he has a GT4 and is getting a new engine), and he figured the engines would be shipped in complete form. I could not find out any information in that GT3 thread about what state the engines shipped in.

I’m also a bit surprised that, so far, the engine repair seems to be the path for undelivered cars in Germany and the UK.
Old 05-06-2021 | 02:12 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Does the factory applied protection film have a end of use date? Not sure I would want that stuff sitting on the car in the sun for 6 months, as 987SCoupe sez..."bikini lines"
Yes, the factory applied protection film has a recommended date for removal... trying to remember where I saw the remove by date.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-06-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2021 | 09:23 AM
akissing997718
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I’m not happy about my car being in port either. It is supposed to move on the 28th, and I can only surmise that the dealer won’t request it because they’ll have to pay for it (just guessing). Porsche said they’re no longer holding it. I might call the sales manager tomorrow. I try not to bug them too much lol.

I was talking to a local indy shop owner recently (he has a GT4 and is getting a new engine), and he figured the engines would be shipped in complete form. I could not find out any information in that GT3 thread about what state the engines shipped in.

I’m also a bit surprised that, so far, the engine repair seems to be the path for undelivered cars in Germany and the UK.
Any source for the statement that Porsche is no longer holding at port? Would like ammo/info to be able to call and ask SA to have sent to dealership but hate just calling and going 'well some dude on rennlist said it was no longer being held so send it.' Really hoping this is the case!
Old 05-06-2021 | 10:06 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes, the factory applied protection film has a recommended date for removal... trying to remember where I saw the remove by date.
Just a data point, as I have no idea if the same is applicable to Porsche's paints or the films they use. I found a couple of Fiat-Chrysler service bulletins that indicate paint damage can occur if the transit film is not removed within six months of application, and that painted surfaces covered for extended periods (time not specified) may appear to have white "milky" spots on dark colors, or foggy, coffee colored spots on lighter colors. They also provide a remedy using the application of heat to the affected area in this case.

Last edited by 987SCoupe; 05-06-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-06-2021 | 11:39 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by akissing997718
Any source for the statement that Porsche is no longer holding at port? Would like ammo/info to be able to call and ask SA to have sent to dealership but hate just calling and going 'well some dude on rennlist said it was no longer being held so send it.' Really hoping this is the case!
Well first off I'm not in your country, and secondly I do have it in writing from Porsche Canada that the car "has been released to shipment to the dealer". I don't know if this means it'll just go, or if the dealer has to request it.
Old 05-06-2021 | 11:57 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by UncleDude
It would be interesting to know if the dates in your production/delivery schedule have been updated. As of yesterday mine still shows January 4, 2030 (i.e., when hell freezes over).
Old 05-06-2021 | 11:57 AM
newalbanyohio
Instructor

we have a Spyder at the port in Houston....waiting for word on the ETA. I am leaning towards canceling the order. By the time the car arrives the year will be almost over, there is no way the car will be delivered in the same overall condition had it not sat at the port for months on end. Maybe I use this as my excuse to just get a Speedster.
Old 05-06-2021 | 12:48 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

A couple of things to bring up with your SA or PCNA is if your car is sitting for months with no movement especially if it's outdoor under the sun, you'll need to replace the tires when you get the car because it'll probably be heavily flat spotted.

Also, for some of the folks that are towards the end of the replacement/fix plan, you may want to bring up the issue of your gas potentially being bad when you take delivery. Maybe contact PCNA and have PCNA put in gas stabilizer because the last thing you want is your gas to have gone bad and for the port handler to fire up your engine and make things worse.

Another thing to look out for is if the car is sitting for months with no movement, the car battery will probably be dead when they go to turn it on and transport it to the dealer to begin repairs. Depending on how long the battery has been dead, it may need to be replaced because even though the port handlers were able to jump start the car, if the battery has been sitting dead for a while such as weeks or even months, sulfation can occur within the battery.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4