Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 04:26 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 802 Posts
Lightbulb Final decision made, changing from Pilot Sport Cup 2 to Pilot Sport 4S

Guys,

I have given this a lot and I do mean a lot of consideration/thought and have made my Final-Decision.

After I have read everything I found about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires I have come to the conclusion they are not for me and my 2021 GT4 being 100% for the Street.

Thank goodness for Rennlist and the members on this site as they have shared lots and lots of information on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Also I have used The Tire Rack for a lot of years for information as well as ordering tires from them.
As I just read through their reviews I now have Zero-Doubt that what needs to be under my 2021 GT4 are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

I have put in a message to my SA to see if they, Porsche of Nashville, will do some sort of switch with me on the tires when it arrives.
My opinion is they will not and as usual with New Car Dealers they will have all sorts of reasons why they would love to Help but they just simply cannot.

Point being as far as I am concerned I'm going to do it if they Help in anyway financially and if not I'll foot the cost.
I just am totally sold on having those Pilot Sport 4S for the Street for the very best overall Performance for all 4-Seasons we have here in Franklin, TN. USA.
Here what we do have is lots and lots and lots of rain !!!
Thank goodness we are located South in the USA so for the most part extreme cold, snow, ice is not really all that much to be concerned about.
Plus if needed I'll simply drive Cathy's VW Golf R if it's really all that crappy outside and it happens to be All-Wheel-Drive.

I also just happen to have a Carrier HVAC Split-Unit in the garage so it is totally Climate Controlled all year round.
Yes guys you see two units the other is for the Dedicated Home Theater.

Below is what I just saw on The Tire Rack so some of you might also like to see.
When you look at the below comparisons it's easy to see why the Michelin Pilot sport 4S tires for the Street are without doubt the Much-much better choice.

Note*
I'm adding the below video as I think it is an excellent one to show the wet performance of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
The way this guy was driving and stopping is Far-far much more aggressive than I will be doing in Pouring-down-Rain that's for sure.
But he does show what the tires are like in rain and driving through standing water.

Shelby GT350 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Rain Review | Auto Fanatic

You know sometimes one just has to Spend more monies if they truly want what's best for their situation and that's exactly where I am with this tire thing.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-08-2021 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added a video to the post .............
Old 05-07-2021, 04:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just get a set from Tire Rack and when your car comes in have them swap them over, and sell the Cups here in the Marketplace.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
Alpha Ice (05-10-2021), DocMo (05-07-2021), tigerhonaker (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 04:50 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Guys,

I have given this a lot and I do mean a lot of consideration/thought and have made my Final-Decision.

After I have read everything I found about the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires I have come to the conclusion they are not for me and my 2021 GT4 being 100% for the Street.

Thank goodness for Rennlist and the members on this site as they have shared lots and lots of information on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Also I have used The Tire Rack for a lot of years for information as well as ordering tires from them.
As I just read through their reviews I now have Zero-Doubt that what needs to be under my 2021 GT4 are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

I have put in a message to my SA to see if they, Porsche of Nashville, will do some sort of switch with me on the tires when it arrives.
My opinion is they will not and as usual with New Car Dealers they will have all sorts of reasons why they would love to Help but they just simply cannot.

Point being as far as I am concerned I'm going to do it if they Help in anyway financially and if not I'll foot the cost.
I just am totally sold on having those Pilot Sport 4S for the Street for the very best overall Performance for all 4-Seasons we have here in Franklin, TN. USA.
Thank goodness we are located South in the USA so for the most part extreme cold, snow, ice is not really all that much to be concerned about.
Plus if needed I'll simply drive Cathy's VW Golf R if it's really all that crappy outside and it happens to be All-Wheel-Drive.

I also just happen to have a Carrier HVAC Split-Unit in the garage so it is totally Climate Controlled all year round.
Yes guys you see two units the other is for the Dedicated Home Theater.

Below is what I just saw on The Tire Rack so some of you might also like to see.
When you look at the below comparisons it's easy to see why the Michelin Pilot sport 4S tires for the Street are without doubt the Much-much better choice.

You know sometimes one just has to Spend more monies if they truly want what's best for their situation and that's exactly where I am with this tire thing.

Terry

You may want to check out the Goodyear Supercar 3's before deciding on the PS4's
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Rasmus
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick heads up; the 4S in the tire name doesn't imply it's an all-season tire. It's not. It is a performance tire for the street, and not meant to be run all year around. If you want true all-season tires, it's the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

That being said, I run MPS4S as a street and wet tire on my cars. I like it a lot. I don't see a reason to change it -- I just don't drive in the snow or cold weather.
tigerhonaker (05-11-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 04:57 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,759 Likes on 692 Posts

I love the PS4S tire and find it to be the perfect high performance tire for the Northwest. Agreed it isn't a 4 season tire, at least not in this part of the country. That being said, I ran them on my Turbo S without enough power to challenge any tire. I felt comfortable if the temps were above 40 dry and 50 wet. Colder or colder/wetter than that and it stayed in the garage.
tigerhonaker (05-11-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:46 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

A buddy of mine came to the same conclusion as you Terry, and fitted them to his C8. Loves them in rain, even when quite cold.
Bob Z's suggestion is ideal: You get those new shoes off with almost no miles on them and you'll get back alot of coin selling them to a RL'er
(....AC in the garage. Yet another 'mod' I need to consider.)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:43 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just get a set from Tire Rack and when your car comes in have them swap them over, and sell the Cups here in the Marketplace.
I have heard back from my SA (Matt G) at Porsche of Nashville and now will wait to see if they will volunteer to help me on the PS4's.
If they don't then I'll make further decisions on what to do with the Cup 2 tires as they will be New with No-Miles other than Delivery miles to Porsche of Nashville.
Your suggestion is certainly Spot-On.

Originally Posted by TRZ06
You may want to check out the Goodyear Supercar 3's before deciding on the PS4's
Thanks for the Heads-Up but I'm going to stick with the PS4's as some of the Porsche Models come with them so they are OE on those Models.

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Just a quick heads up; the 4S in the tire name doesn't imply it's an all-season tire.
It's not.
It is a performance tire for the street, and not meant to be run all year around.
If you want true all-season tires, it's the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+

That being said, I run MPS4S as a street and wet tire on my cars. I like it a lot. I don't see a reason to change it -- I just don't drive in the snow or cold weather.
Since I know I'm not going to be driving the GT4 in below 20-degree conditions or certainly not snow/ice the PS4's will work for this fellow.
Luckily in the garage also sits Cathy's VW Golf R which is AWD and it has a whopping 11K miles on it.
That will be the car for ****-Poor-Weather conditions.

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I love the PS4S tire and find it to be the perfect high performance tire for the Northwest.
Agreed it isn't a 4 season tire, at least not in this part of the country.
That being said, I ran them on my Turbo S without enough power to challenge any tire.
I felt comfortable if the temps were above 40 dry and 50 wet.
Colder or colder/wetter than that and it stayed in the garage.
Like you and others have said the PS4's is Not All-Season but where I live it's going to be a perfect match for our weather conditions 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by ausgang
A buddy of mine came to the same conclusion as you Terry, and fitted them to his C8.
Loves them in rain, even when quite cold.
Bob Z's suggestion is ideal: You get those new shoes off with almost no miles on them and you'll get back alot of coin selling them to a RL'er
ausgang,
One of my two older brothers is a die-hard Chevy fellow.
He is like 78-years old and lives in Frankfort, KY.
Like you mentioned about a buddy of your's with the C8 Vette my brother has a Z06 W/Z07 Performance Package and loaded-up.
He did exactly what we are talking about he had his Chevy Dealership in Louisville, KY. change out the Cup 2 tires for the Michelin Sports for street use.

My brother also still has his 61 Vette you'll see in the garage.
He's had a lot and I do mean a lot of Corvettes over the years.

This next picture is in Frankfort and the Capitol in the background.

I may end up with the Cup 2 tires listed here on RL if my Porsche dealer doesn't lend a Helping-Hand.

Oh, speaking of the HVAC Split-Units.
They work excellent and not only for Summer & Winter but they also control the Humidity which is a Bitch here sometime.

I also have a Samsung in my Dedicated Home Theater and it is the $hit buddy.
It's above my right shoulder and custom painted so there are No-Reflections off of it.
They come a BRIGHT-White !!!

I Highly recommend you getting one just make sure you get a unit Large enough as Garage Temperatures get Crazy Hotttttttttttt and Cold.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-08-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Talking Guys, just got my latest Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 "Tracking" Up-Dates see below .....

Greetings to the Wild-Bunch,

Matt Giorgio, my SA at Porsche of Nashville sent me the following Tracking Up-Dates.
Guys I'm telling you this guy is beyond being on Top of things.
I can text him on his Private Cellphone, call the Dealership, E-Mail him and he will most assuredly get back to me.
If more SA were like Matt ................
Clients/Customers wouldn't constantly get and stay Pissed-Off from not hearing from their SA.
I don't mind taking the few moments-it takes to say something nice about my SA as he more and more continues to impress me and that guys is not easy to do as I am demanding.

Moving on with what he sent me as I now have the time to post that information as I was previously tied-up with the Michelin tire thing as you have already seen above.

Speaking of my prior posts on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
I actually forgot to post the video that to me was a pretty doggone prime example of the performance of those in the rain.
I did go back and did an edit and added that video but I doubt many RL members ever go back and look at previous posts once they saw them the 1st time around.
Below is that video for anyone else that might be considering switching tires off their Spider or GT4.

Below are the New Up-Dates from Matt G. on my 2021 GT4.

Well as you guys can see from the above images I am All-Set for sure.
And since this is Rennlist the Preferred 100% Porsche Internet Site with IMO totally "Awesome-Members" I wish to add the following.
Guys being serious as I always make it a point to be.
The New Delivery Date is actually going to work out just lovely as it gives me/us months more time for adding to the Cash-Down-payment.
I have added more cost to the GT4 as time is marching by so this additional time is actually GREAT.

This is Terry with a Happy-Face on his New eXmark LZ X 2021 38HP EFI Zero-Turn-Mower,

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-09-2021 at 11:43 AM.
halfmonkey (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 07:02 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Greetings to the Wild-Bunch,

Matt Giorgio, my SA at Porsche of Nashville sent me the following Tracking Up-Dates.
Guys I'm telling you this guy is beyond being on Top of things.
I can text him on his Private Cellphone, call the Dealership, E-Mail him and he will most assuredly get back to me.
If more SA were like Matt ................
Clients/Customers wouldn't constantly get and stay Pissed-Off from not hearing from their SA.
I don't mind taking the few moments-it takes to say something nice about my SA as he more and more continues to impress me and that guys is not easy to do as I am demanding.

Moving on with what he sent me as I now have the time to post that information as I was previously tied-up with the Michelin tire thing as you have already seen above.

Speaking of my prior posts on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
I actually forgot to post the video that to me was a pretty doggone prime example of the performance of those in the rain.
I did go back and did an edit and added that video but I doubt many RL members ever go back and look at previous posts once they saw them the 1st time around.
Below is that video for anyone else that might be considering switching tires off their Spider or GT4.Shelby GT350 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Rain Review | Auto Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAYDCSOzLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAYDCSOzLM

Below is the New Up-Dates from Matt G. on my 2021 GT4.

Well as you guys can see from the above images I am All-Set for sure.
And since this is Rennlist the Preferred 100% Porsche Internet Site with IMO totally "Awesome-Members" I wish to add the following.
Guys being serious as I always make it a point to be.
The New Delivery Date is actually going to work out just lovely as it gives me/us months more time for adding to the Cash-Down-payment.
I have added more cost to the GT4 as time is marching by so this additional time is actually GREAT.

This is Terry with a Happy-Face on his New eXmark LZ X 2021 38HP EFI Zero-Turn-Mower,
EXACT same dates as my BGTS. They are brothers
Old 05-08-2021, 11:29 PM
BrettPorsche
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm jealous of your relationship with your service advisor, Terry. Mine's pretty good at ignoring me, despite the fact that I have a deposit down on a $100,000+ car. Almost always takes multiple texts before he gets back to me. Urgh!
Old 05-09-2021, 12:30 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
EXACT same dates as my BGTS.

They are brothers

P-car-Vancouver,

Well how about that Both of us with the Exact-same-Delivery Dates.
Don't get much better than that for two guys located in two different Countries.

Congratulations to my Rennlist Internet Site (Brother) in Canada.

Originally Posted by BrettPorsche
I'm jealous of your relationship with your service advisor, Terry. Mine's pretty good at ignoring me, despite the fact that I have a deposit down on a $100,000+ car. Almost always takes multiple texts before he gets back to me. Urgh!
BrettPorsche,

Hey Brett, if you have followed me on Rennlist you would have seen where I have said multiple times about being an employee of multiple New Car Dealerships for Plus 16-years.
And I once again share the above so I can share the following with you and what I know regarding IMO the majority of New Car Dealerships and the SA/Greeters.
When Many-many years ago starting in 1966 for myself at then 21-years old and just returned from Cu-Chi, Vietnam tour of duty.
This is not an opinion it is based on my personal experience with New Car Dealerships over the years.
And I should add that in my case I have always-always been into cars as well as motorcycles and for the most part performance ones.
At one point in my life I was trading vehicles so fast that the Card you receive from your insurance company was a couple of vehicles behind.
In-fact the County-Court-Clerk once ask me if I was a Dealer and suggested I get a Dealers-License.

Okay, now to the meat of dealing with Sales people ............
In the beginning salesman were actually able to make decisions like, trade-in-value, discounts, etc.
They were back then what most of us would think a salesman should be and was.
Time marches by in years ................
All of a sudden you had the "Sales-Tower/Podium" and that's where All-Decisions actually came from.
Do you recall hearing this from your salesman when you ask him almost any question ???
I'm here only to work for you so give me a few minutes while you look over the vehicle and let me get my sales-manager to approve this.
As you see from the above all of a sudden the salesman is not making any decision at all and actually for those that didn't know the salesman have been replaced with what we in the business refer to as "Greeters".
That's right Brett greeters not any-longer the salesman from years ago that was actually able to make decisions and close a deal.

And because of how things have changed in the car business ............
It's now become where we No-Longer have "Professional" salesman.
In general especially here in the USA with Domestic Brands like, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler to name some.
The customer is at the mercy of what we in the business refer to as the, 90-Day-Wonders.
And we say that because once the New Salesman/Greeters call all their personal connections and sale as many of them as they possibly can.
Which BTW doesn't take all that long to cover their Family, Buddies, and those people that are Friends of the ones I just mentioned.
Those New Salesman/Ladies are on what's referred to as a Guarantee or Draw for the 1st 90-days so at best they are temporary employees.

Summary .........
Those New 90-Day-Wonders are soon gone as they are Not meeting their draw and way before the 90-days are up and they would then be on 100% Commission.

The public is faced with dealing with all the above which Totally-Sucks ^^^

The only saving grace here in the USA is that generally speaking the European Brands are smaller Dealerships and Thank-Goodness the Sales-People are Much-much more Professional usually.
Of course I have no doubt that in the larger Cities the European Brands might very well be larger establishments versus where I live.
And even though as I have said and pointed-out dealing with say a Porsche Dealership one can still end up with a ****-Poor-Excuse of a Sales-Person !!!
If it's a large enough dealership my sincere advice is to simply go to either the GSM (General-Sales-Manager) or GM (General-Manager) and explain your situation in Person.
Ask for a more Reliable Sales-Person as the one you have is simply not up to the task of keeping you informed.

Lastly, just keep in mind that generally speaking Never-Ever be concerned over that sales-person as the likely hood of them being around long-term is not going to happen.
If that sales-person is Pissing-you-Off your just one of many customers.

Good-Luck,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-09-2021 at 12:45 PM.
P-car-Vancouver (05-09-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:08 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question Would Really-really like some Advise & Assistance on pricing New Take-Off Cup 2 tires

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just get a set from Tire Rack and when your car comes in have them swap them over,
and sell the Cups here in the Marketplace.
Originally Posted by ausgang
A buddy of mine came to the same conclusion as you Terry, and fitted them to his C8. Loves them in rain, even when quite cold.
Bob Z's suggestion is ideal:
You get those new shoes off with almost no miles on them and you'll get back alot of coin selling them to a RL'er

Attention Rennlist members that check-out this thread and especially this post.

I would Really-really like some much needed advise/opinions on the following.
So, if it comes down to me having to sell the New Take-Off Cup 2 tires as it arrives at my Porsche Dealer.
Meaning they will certainly be New and even before the Service Department does the PDI and a Tech takes it for a short drive to confirm all is A-OK.
What is a fair price for all four of them ???
And of course there will be shipping-cost to consider as me the seller as well as the buyer.
My thinking is to use The Tire Rack pricing as a useful guide as they are Super Competitive.

........................................................................ ...................................................Set of 4: $1,685.06 Cup 2 tires

If any of you have some thoughts on this or have prior experience I would appreciate your take ???
This probably, hopefully isn't a necessary comment but we all know that in general everyone wants CHEAP.
I'm not going to practically give them away but I do want to sell them and be reasonable about my pricing.

Note*
This is for the Continental USA ........... ONLY:

Thanks guys,
Terry
USA

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:11 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 78 Posts

Attention Rennlist members that check-out this thread and especially this post.

I would Really-really like some much needed advise/opinions on the following.
So, if it comes down to me having to sell the New Take-Off Cup 2 tires as it arrives at my Porsche Dealer.
Meaning they will certainly be New and even before the Service Department does the PDI and a Tech takes it for a short drive to confirm all is A-OK.
What is a fair price for all four of them ???
And of course there will be shipping-cost to consider as me the seller as well as the buyer.
My thinking is to use The Tire Rack pricing as a useful guide as they are Super Competitive.

........................................................................ ...................................................Set of 4: $1,685.06 Cup 2 tires

If any of you have some thoughts on this or have prior experience I would appreciate your take ???
This probably, hopefully isn't a necessary comment but we all know that in general everyone wants CHEAP.
I'm not going to practically give them away but I do want to sell them and be reasonable about my pricing.

Note*
This is for the Continental USA ........... ONLY:

Thanks guys,
Terry
USA

Terry, I am in the same shoes as you. I also ordered the cup2 tires (ultra high performance). The reason is that I have never tried them before and I am genuinely curious about the performance of the cup 2 compared to the Michelin pilot 4s. I have tried the Michelin Supersports and the 4S on my previous car, and the 4S is a solid upgrade.

Cup 2s will certainly perform much worse in the rain, but I got a spyder and I don't expect drives in the rain that much. If you want to daily your GT4, you'd better off with the 4S given Nashville weather (I lived in there for 4 years ). Otherwise, I recommend you try the cup 2s and drive the heck out of them. You can always change to pilot 4S later on. as you said, the tires after all aren't super expensive on Tireracks.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:55 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
Terry, I am in the same shoes as you. I also ordered the cup2 tires (ultra high performance). The reason is that I have never tried them before and I am genuinely curious about the performance of the cup 2 compared to the Michelin pilot 4s. I have tried the Michelin Supersports and the 4S on my previous car, and the 4S is a solid upgrade.

Cup 2s will certainly perform much worse in the rain, but I got a spyder and I don't expect drives in the rain that much. If you want to daily your GT4, you'd better off with the 4S given Nashville weather (I lived in there for 4 years ). Otherwise, I recommend you try the cup 2s and drive the heck out of them. You can always change to pilot 4S later on. as you said, the tires after all aren't super expensive on Tireracks.
Dr.JDK,

Well from the lack of responses and interest from my question I'll have to go about this in a more Direct-Way for sure.

Nashville, TN. is a super nice place to live so I hope you enjoyed your stay.
We live in Franklin, TN. which is Williamson County approximately 30 minutes from Nashville.

Thanks for the input on your experience with the 4S as that's what I have decided I should run for the Street and not Track-Duty.

Terry
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK

Dr.JDK,

Well from the lack of responses and interest from my question I'll have to go about this in a more Direct-Way for sure.

I think I'll go to the, Rennlist Market Place and do a Pre-Sale sort of Thread/Post and see what takes place.

Nashville, TN. is a super nice place to live so I hope you enjoyed your stay.
We live in Franklin, TN. which is Williamson County approximately 30 minutes from Nashville.

Thanks for the input on your experience with the 4S as that's what I have decided I should run for the Street and not Track-Duty.

Terry

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker