Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 11:17 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

congrats Terry, 600 posts

and thanks for your service

you've got to have the record for drawing out a thread about UPS deliveries, tires, etc

and love that Racing Yellow GT4

cheers
Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by JSF101:
jimdillard (07-20-2022), tigerhonaker (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:08 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,680 Likes on 931 Posts

My lower rocker PPF is constantly covered in black from stuff hitting it no matter how many times I clean the PPF. The worst location is the spot right in front of the rear tire that sticks out a bit below the side intake.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
jimdillard (07-20-2022), tigerhonaker (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:40 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 796 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JSF101
congrats Terry, 600 posts

and thanks for your service

you've got to have the record for drawing out a thread about UPS deliveries, tires, etc

and love that Racing Yellow GT4

cheers
Steve
Morning Steve,

I surely do try.

I and my wife both love the Porsche GT4 in Racing Yellow.

Originally Posted by Zhao
My lower rocker PPF is constantly covered in black from stuff hitting it no matter how many times I clean the PPF.
The worst location is the spot right in front of the rear tire that sticks out a bit below the side intake.
Zhao,

You are for sure 100% correct on that area collecting debris.
After I get mine back from AW Collision I have to wait 1-month to take it back to Marlins to get the PPF reinstalled and then the Gtechniq ceramic coating reapplied.
This is an expensive Boo-boo.

Terry
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (07-20-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:31 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Guys,

I got a call from Kyle (Estimator) at AW Collision yesterday afternoon.
The driver's side rear lower rocker-panel was ready to be painted.
That would take place either Friday or Monday coming up.
Expected Pick-Up is Mid to Late next week.

As I said to Kyle, I'm NOT even remotely interested in Speed I'm all about Perfection so No-Hurry buddy from this end at all.

Kyle did mention he has taken some pictures that he will E-Mail after it's (GT4) completed.

Terry
jimdillard (07-24-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:52 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Terry, I hope your repair goes really well. Personally, even though I am a perfectionist, over the years I have learned that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. I probably wouldn’t have sent her to the body shop over this.
jimdillard (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 11:39 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2seats
Terry, I hope your repair goes really well.
Personally, even though I am a perfectionist, over the years I have learned that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
I probably wouldn’t have sent her to the body shop over this.
2seats,

You have a Friend request buddy.

Well my Good-Man here's where my mind is on this darn repair thing.

And of course I'm only once again sharing with you what I think of course other people have their own thoughts on this.

This GT4 to me and my wife is a Very-very expensive Sports Car.
Especially for a Sports Car that's not even needed at all for me or us.
But ............
I wanted it and Cathy said to go for it and order it as I wanted it and once I got it built on the configurator.
We both took a Super-Close look at the build and I added some additional items at that point.

So, I'm beyond being **** R. and that doggone gouge/scraped area just is something I couldn't live with or didn't want to live with.

I just hope and have all my fingers-crossed that AW Collision and their guy that specializes in only new Porsches.
That it will be a match paint-wise.
The good thing to me is ...........
That panel was removed so No-Worries on the rest of the GT4 body or Wheels having Any-Over Spray !!!
And once again it being a new GT4 I'm hoping that matching the Racing-Yellow won't present an issue to that tech.

After I do get it back I've spoken to Chris Marlin about getting the PPF & Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra reapplied.
Chris said to contact him after 1-Month to get those ^^^ redone.

You know it's strange how things happen sometimes.
I drove that GT4 in a Super-Quick 3-day round-trip to San Antonio, Texas and back home.
Roughly 2,141 miles and NOT a single thing happened to the body or Thank-Goodness the Windshield.

Then here I am driving right here where I live and some flew-up and did that Damage.

Wish me Luck buddy as I should be picking it up around the middle of this coming week.

Terry
jimdillard (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 11:44 AM
2seats
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
2seats,

You have a Friend request buddy.

Well my Good-Man here's where my mind is on this darn repair thing.

And of course I'm only once again sharing with you what I think of course other people have their own thoughts on this.

This GT4 to me and my wife is a Very-very expensive Sports Car.
Especially for a Sports Car that's not even needed at all for me or us.
But ............
I wanted it and Cathy said to go for it and order it as I wanted it and once I got it built on the configurator.
We both took a Super-Close look at the build and I added some additional items at that point.

So, I'm beyond being **** R. and that doggone gouge/scraped area just is something I couldn't live with or didn't want to live with.

I just hope and have all my fingers-crossed that AW Collision and their guy that specializes in only new Porsches.
That it will be a match paint-wise.
The good thing to me is ...........
That panel was removed so No-Worries on the rest of the GT4 body or Wheels having Any-Over Spray !!!
And once again it being a new GT4 I'm hoping that matching the Racing-Yellow won't present an issue to that tech.

After I do get it back I've spoken to Chris Marlin about getting the PPF & Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra reapplied.
Chris said to contact him after 1-Month to get those ^^^ redone.

You know it's strange how things happen sometimes.
I drove that GT4 in a Super-Quick 3-day round-trip to San Antonio, Texas and back home.
Roughly 2,141 miles and NOT a single thing happened to the body or Thank-Goodness the Windshield.

Then here I am driving right here where I live and some flew-up and did that Damage.

Wish me Luck buddy as I should be picking it up around the middle of this coming week.

Terry
the fact that it’s a removable panel and they can paint it while it’s removed from the car is huge plus! Overspray was one of my immediate thoughts.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:04 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2seats
the fact that it’s a removable panel and they can paint it while it’s removed from the car is huge plus! Overspray was one of my immediate thoughts.
2seats,

Exactly ^^^

That played a large part of my decision when Kyle (AW Collision Estimator) finished the repair estimate and then sat down with me going over it in DETAIL.
Once he said the panel Terry will be removed and also your Porsche will be sitting in the room you see looking out this window until it's time to reinstall the panel.
You can look out a Giant-Picture-Window from the Customer-Area to where some cars are placed while parts are being repaired like the panel on mine.
The Porsche will NOT be exposed to anything going on in the shop.

So 2seats I'm placing my faith in Porsche of Nashville multiple employees plus being reassured by Kyle that I or no-one else will ever know anything happened to that panel.
That's ^^^ when Kyle shared with me that they do all the work for Porsche of Nashville and that they (AW Collision) has one Porsche Technician that does nothing but New Porsches.

It goes without saying that I'd be LYING if I said I'm not concerned/worried until I actually see all is once again new.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-24-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:40 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Picked-Up my Porsche GT4 from AW Collision Repair on Wednesday ...

Guys,

I'm definitely a Happy-Camper as I now have my Porsche Cayman 2021 GT4 back home from AW Collision Repair.

I would be Very-very dishonest if I said anything other than I had all my fingers crossed that the repair would go smooth.
As it turned-out there is No-Way anyone would ever in a million years know there was anything repaired.
So, I did as I said previously put my trust in PON (Porsche of Nashville) as well as talking to Kyle Vojtesak and Tiffynee Mahurin at AW Collision.
I just didn't want to know that every-time I saw my GT4 I'd know it had the Gouge/Scratch area in the Driver's "Lower Rear Rocker-Panel".
That sort of thing to a guy like me that's admittedly **** just drives me beyond-crazy !!!

Moving on ................
My wife rode over with me yesterday (Wednesday) morning for me to pick it up.
As we drove up we saw the Bright-Racing-Yellow Top from over where it was parked.
We went over and both of us looked and we both agreed it was as perfect as humanly possible.
She went on back home as she was working and took a break to go over with me to pick it up.
AW Collision is only 4.2 miles from our garage to their parking area.

Went in and signed the work invoice and of course Paid it.
Talked to Kyle as well as Tiffynee at the Front-Desk and she is definitely an asset to AW Collision.
Didn't really hang around as I had somewhere to go and meet up with my New Rennlist Website Internet buddy here in Franklin, Jim Dillard.
I had previously talked to him about he and his wife Kathy driving the GT4 on an extended test drive.
As it turned-out Kathy was doing other things with friends so Jim and me took off pretty darn quickly as a Team so he had as much time as necessary to do the test-drive.

Below are the pictures Kyle took for me that I appreciate as it let me see what actually took place.
Also, got an Awesome-SURPRISE on my billing see below picture.

Rest of the Story:
So below is me dropping by to pick-up Jim Dillard my Newest local Rennlist Website Internet buddy.
He's going to do an extensive Test-Drive with me as Kathy his wife is out visiting with her friends.
I should mention that Jim will be taking delivery of his 2022 Porsche in Gentian Blue next month around the 22ND I think.

Speaking of Jim,
So, Jim will have the almighty Porsche Spyder as well as he Special ordered it with the 6-Speed Manual.
He is what many here on Rennlist might very well refer to as him (Jim) being a Man's-man.

I Begged him to Test-Drive my GT4 with the PDK just so he would then know for a FACT that all his Choices were Absolutely 100% Correct and of course the BEST.

Jim's, a 2022 Gentian Blue Porsche Spyder that's Super-Close to what he has on order.

Note*
I could go into detail on what Jim said and thought on driving the GT4.
But .............
I'm not going to do that as I think if he sees this Post he might volunteer to add his Comments/Thoughts etc. on his Lengthy Extended Test-Drive.
I will say that he did look at the Bright-Silver-Wheels and commented there was hardly Any {Black-Brake-Dust}.
Oh, he did stop at a Mexican Restaurant in Fairview, TN. and I Threw-Down it was GREAT.
Hey I say give Credit when Credit is due, right guys.
Jim, insisted on paying

Back home in it's assigned place next to Cathy's VW Golf R.

Thanks guys for dropping by,
Terry

The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Elegant (07-28-2022), jimdillard (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 05:35 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Terry, glad you got your GT4 back. What are your thoughts on the Soul OAP and BMC intake?
Old 07-28-2022, 05:40 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Guys,

I'm definitely a Happy-Camper as I now have my Porsche Cayman 2021 GT4 back home from AW Collision Repair.

I would be Very-very dishonest if I said anything other than I had all my fingers crossed that the repair would go smooth.
As it turned-out there is No-Way anyone would ever in a million years know there was anything repaired.
So, I did as I said previously put my trust in PON (Porsche of Nashville) as well as talking to Kyle Vojtesak and Tiffynee Mahurin at AW Collision.
I just didn't want to know that every-time I saw my GT4 I'd know it had the Gouge/Scratch area in the Driver's "Lower Rear Rocker-Panel".
That sort of thing to a guy like me that's admittedly **** just drives me beyond-crazy !!!

Moving on ................
My wife rode over with me yesterday (Wednesday) morning for me to pick it up.
As we drove up we saw the Bright-Racing-Yellow Top from over where it was parked.
We went over and both of us looked and we both agreed it was as perfect as humanly possible.
She went on back home as she was working and took a break to go over with me to pick it up.
AW Collision is only 4.2 miles from our garage to their parking area.

Went in and signed the work invoice and of course Paid it.
Talked to Kyle as well as Tiffynee at the Front-Desk and she is definitely an asset to AW Collision.
Didn't really hang around as I had somewhere to go and meet up with my New Rennlist Website Internet buddy here in Franklin, Jim Dillard.
I had previously talked to him about he and his wife Kathy driving the GT4 on an extended test drive.
As it turned-out Kathy was doing other things with friends so Jim and me took off pretty darn quickly as a Team so he had as much time as necessary to do the test-drive.

Below are the pictures Kyle took for me that I appreciate as it let me see what actually took place.
Also, got an Awesome-SURPRISE on my billing see below picture.

Rest of the Story:
So below is me dropping by to pick-up Jim Dillard my Newest local Rennlist Website Internet buddy.
He's going to do an extensive Test-Drive with me as Kathy his wife is out visiting with her friends.
I should mention that Jim will be taking delivery of his 2022 Porsche in Gentian Blue next month around the 22ND I think.

Speaking of Jim,
So, Jim will have the almighty Porsche Spyder as well as he Special ordered it with the 6-Speed Manual.
He is what many here on Rennlist might very well refer to as him (Jim) being a Man's-man.

I Begged him to Test-Drive my GT4 with the PDK just so he would then know for a FACT that all his Choices were Absolutely 100% Correct and of course the BEST.

Jim's, a 2022 Gentian Blue Porsche Spyder that's Super-Close to what he has on order.

Note*
I could go into detail on what Jim said and thought on driving the GT4.
But .............
I'm not going to do that as I think if he sees this Post he might volunteer to add his Comments/Thoughts etc. on his Lengthy Extended Test-Drive.
I will say that he did look at the Bright-Silver-Wheels and commented there was hardly Any {Black-Brake-Dust}.
Oh, he did stop at a Mexican Restaurant in Fairview, TN. and I Threw-Down it was GREAT.
Hey I say give Credit when Credit is due, right guys.
Jim, insisted on paying

Back home in it's assigned place next to Cathy's VW Golf R.

Thanks guys for dropping by,
Terry
Thanks for the great "test drive" yesterday Terry. Greatly appreciated! And by test drive I'm guessing we drove a good 75 miles on our beautiful, hilly, curvy, backwoods "notch 'n hollow" roads here in Middle Tennessee. We're truly blessed to have that kind of driving a few miles from our home. As I like to tell out-of-town guests, "I can show you scenes from the film Deliverance less than 10 miles from our house." And I mean it. It gets rural real fast here. What a blast that was in your "stealth" GT4 with your amazingly STICKY TIRES...I'm guessing...what CUP 2's or 4S's?? Just a gorgeous car. And I can attest to the paint work you had done. It's virtually UNDETECTABLE. Perfect job!

AND...your SOUL OAP's with the Cargraphic controller...wow. THAT got some attention yesterday. Just beautiful sound!! Nicely done!

Last edited by jimdillard; 07-28-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:43 PM
Elegant
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Terry,
The GT4 looks great.
Glad the repair turned out so well.

Hey, are you ever going to tell us what you think of the exhaust mod you had done recently?

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-29-2022, 02:40 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cybers3c
Terry, glad you got your GT4 back. What are your thoughts on the Soul OAP and BMC intake?
cybers3c,

Believe it or not I really haven't forgotten or overlooked doing a post on newly installed items by Nick at PON.
The Cargraphics Mode 2 valve controller, BMC Performance intake filters & SOUL OAP "Jet-Hot EXTREME 1300 ceramic coated".

I just wanted to get the GT4 back Show-Room new 1st ............

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Thanks for the great "test drive" yesterday Terry. Greatly appreciated! And by test drive I'm guessing we drove a good 75 miles on our beautiful, hilly, curvy, backwoods "notch 'n hollow" roads here in Middle Tennessee. We're truly blessed to have that kind of driving a few miles from our home. As I like to tell out-of-town guests, "I can show you scenes from the film Deliverance less than 10 miles from our house." And I mean it. It gets rural real fast here. What a blast that was in your "stealth" GT4 with your amazingly STICKY TIRES...I'm guessing...what CUP 2's or 4S's?? Just a gorgeous car. And I can attest to the paint work you had done. It's virtually UNDETECTABLE. Perfect job!

AND...your SOUL OAP's with the Cargraphic controller...wow. THAT got some attention yesterday.
Just beautiful sound!! Nicely done!
Jim,

What a blast that was in your "stealth" GT4 with your amazingly STICKY TIRES...I'm guessing...what CUP 2's or 4S's??
You know one would think the Newly installed Michelin AS/4 tires could easily fool a person in wondering are the tires the Michelin Cup 2's or the Michelin AS4S Summer tires ???
But ...............
As you noticed on all those 2-lane super curvy roads the GT4 is GLUED to the road.
Excellent traction as you also saw with me doing the WOT multiple Take-Offs for you demoing them.
I will be doing a Post on the SOUL OAP's with the Cargraphic controller.
I'm glad we did our test driving when we did as it's rained everyday since then.

Originally Posted by Elegant
Hi Terry,
The GT4 looks great.
Glad the repair turned out so well.

Hey, are you ever going to tell us what you think of the exhaust mod you had done recently?

Cheers,
Tom
Tom,

Yes, the small Boo-boo was repaired expertly.

I will be doing a Post on the SOUL OAP's with the Cargraphic controller.

It's going to take me some serious (Concentration) to do the post on the Cargraphics Mode 2 valve controller, BMC Performance intake filters & SOUL OAP.
I will be covering that from the Beginning to the End which will entail, Flat6 MOTORSPORTS AND SOUL Performance and certainly PON (Nick) for the multiple installs.
There is a HUGE amount of information from those ^^^ sources and thanks to (Nick) lots and lots of in-depth pictures of the three (3) installs.

It will get done but I want to be Really-really careful NOT to unintentionally leave something out when I do the post.

Seriously, lots of IMHO useful information to other Rennlist.com Website Members.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-29-2022 at 02:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
cybers3c (07-29-2022), jimdillard (07-29-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:12 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Cargraphics Mode 2 valve controller, BMC Performance intake filters, SOUL OAP install

Guys,

Cargraphics Mode 2 valve controller, BMC Performance intake filters, SOUL OAP installs.

I'm going to try my best to NOT leave anything out on the above ^^^ installs by Nick (Shop Foreman) with Plus 20-Years experience at Porsche of Nashville (PON).
So the 1st thing I think needs to be said and covered is the following.
This is NOT as simple guys as you might think or in some cases led to believe.
Some of it goes smoothly and some of it turned-out to be a Semi-Major-Ordeal that involved touching base with one of the Performance Shop's owners.

Before I begin I want to say thanks to the following ...........
(1) Flat 6 MOTORSPORTS (Jon Swift) that supplied the BMC Performance intake filters & Cargraphics Mode 2 Controller IMHO a True-Professional.
(2) SOUL Performance (John Gaydos) for the OAP with the JET-HOT Extreme Ceramic 1300 Degree Coating and All-His-SUPPORT to Nick and keeping me in the LOOP.
(3) Nick Gwozdz (Shop Foreman) at Porsche of Nashville that Always-always is Methodical in his work.

I cannot overstress my on-going appreciation to Nick at PON this guy is without Any-Doubt one of the Best of the Best.

Let's get this started:

Keep in mind I'm going to Share what really took place so you might possibly benefit from this coverage in detail.

Messages to me from,
Nick in E-Mails as well as John Gaydos owner SOUL Performance.

Note*
ALL PICTURES MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING E-Mails ARE BELOW TEXT:

Nick,
Hey Terry,
Here is the clearance I'm talking about on the driver side shown before moving the tail-end of the transmission towards the driver side some.
It's an improvement but I do have some concerns.
I'm not sure if the heat wrap tape will fit, if it does it'll be pretty tight and might chafe as the engine/trans assembly moves around on it's mounts.
Good morning Terry,

I can proceed either way with the wrap. If you want the pipes wrapped, I’ll give it a go.
If you think the coating is sufficient, that’s fine too.
Maybe it’s a non-issue and I’m overthinking it, but it does give me a little cause for concern.
I’ll still suggest you get with the manufacturer, express the concerns over the proximity of the pipes relative to the bodywork, and see what they say.

The OAP pipes installation is complete with the exception of putting the wheels/tires back on and I’ll be starting the other work here shortly, and won’t

Nick.
Hey Terry,

Left Nick a message and look forward to hearing back from him shortly

Best regards,

John Gaydos
Owner, Performance/Exhaust Specialist
SOUL Performance Products
Terry Honaker
Not only did John Gaydos leave a message for Nick.
Afterwards they had an extensive phone discussion on the SOUL OAP fitment and the additional JET-HOT ceramic coating.
I received phone calls from Nick as well as John.
Nick was 100% totally all-set once John explained about the SOUL OAP and the ceramic coating.
John as I said did a follow-up with me so I knew all was A-OK with Nick at PON.
John Gaydos
Owner, Performance/Exhaust Specialist
SOUL Performance Products

The factory over axle pipes have a massive heat soak in them (the particulates filters) which glow internally and radiate heat as well as transfer heat up and down the piping pre and post particulate. If you look up videos on YouTube of how a cat core glows with heat while a car is running, that is the same thing as the North American particulate core matrix near identical to a catalytic converter and not a true particulate filter like the European cars. Point being, when you ditch that giant heat soak in the OAPs heat shielding becomes unnecessary on the pipe to accomplish comparable if not better heat radiation to the factory OAPs. That said, adding a heat solution is never a detriment as there is no such thing as too much heat reduction surrounding exhaust. It's more cost involved and we aren't in the business of charging people more money than they have to spend for a product, we aim to keep product price points reasonable with excellent quality. However, we are in the business of catering to individuals and we do offer Jet Hot Ceramic Coating on a case by case basis for those that simply want to go the extra mile, as we find a quality ceramic coating on the entire product superior in most cases to heat shielding. On the topic of the inexpensive DIY exhaust wrap, that is an option and is effective. The key variable on why we don’t use that option is that header wrap traps condensation and speeds up corrosion/deterioration of the underlying material, and the wrap material can also deteriorate over time warranting re-wrapping in the future. If you already have a heat solution on the pipes, best to leave it as is. If you don’t already have a heat solution and want to add some to take advantage of further heat reduction, we’d recommend our Jet Hot Ceramic Coating option.
If you want to do something yourself and on the cheaper side, DEI Titanium header wrap utilizing pulverized lave rock is some of the best we’ve seen.
Cool Terry.
I’ve got your car tucked away until the grease arrives Monday.
It’s in good company.
The OAP and exhaust valve controller mod sounds super bad on cold start during the catalyst warm up phase.
The remotes easily programmed to the garage door buttons.

Nick Gwozdz
Well Terry,

I was cleared to come back to work today, they told me it was the 5th day after the day of the positive test. Now I have to wear a mask until the 10th day.

While I had anticipated coming back to a bit of a mess, it wasn’t really that bad at all and I was able to spend the time I needed to get your car back together and drive it as well.

I’ve still got to get the pictures sent your way and come up with something to write about the exhaust install.

I found the garage door opener button function spotty sometimes, I’m not sure if it’s over-use, or a speed based thing or what. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn’t. The remote control always worked. Something you could explore perhaps and narrow down the circumstances.

In typing the above statement, I’ve suddenly remembered your inquiry about the NAV volume. I had a question, did you ever try to turn it up while the guidance voice was speaking? Sometime recently told me that’s how you can adjust the speaking volume independently of the scaled setting in the sound menus.

Other than that, it’s ready when you are.
Nick Gwozdz

Workshop Foreman, Gold level Technician, Technical Training Coordinator.

Porsche of Nashville

1580 Malloy Lane

Brentwood, TN 37027

My thoughts on the SOUL OAP pipes.
The pipes were sufficiently packed for shipping in such a way to prevent damage in transit. The optional finish that was added was in good condition and uniform in appearance. Working thru the directions the installation was relatively simple, though at one point it stated to remove the studs from the original OAP pipes at the muffler end. I opted to remove them at the catalyst end using a stud removal tool. Mainly because there were only 3 at this end of the pipe and 5 and the other end of the pipe. For me, this made the process go a little easier. If the car had some more age and or weather on it, this might have been more trouble than it’s worth. The kit included hardware to replace the studs on the catalyst end, as well as the muffler end. So far as gaskets, had the shim-stock type gaskets one layer, I would have used them but they were multi-layer gaskets and it seemed like we would get away with re-using them (and we did) Installation was straight forward with the exception of having had clearance issues with the driver side pipe vs the side of the body. I didn’t see any means to adjust the location of the muffler left to right in relation to the transmission. Additionally, the tubing is rigid from the catalysts to the muffler so however it bolts together is basically how it’s going to be. I was able to improve the clearance by loosening the transmission mount fasteners and shifting the tail-end of the engine/transmission assembly over towards the left slightly. I still had some concerns about the clearance but that was quelled after a discussion with the manufacturer, who reported that they have no issues running the pipes without any coating at all, and with the optioned coating the heat transmission is reduced by as much as 60%. He stated a large factor was the removal of the particle filter, and they haven’t had any issues with heat damage on surrounding components. I wiped down all the pipes with alcohol after installation to prevent finger prints or other smudges from getting burnt into the finish. Even with this step, there was some odor present during the first couple of heat cycles. This is mentioned in the installation instructions. Once installed, I feel that the sound could be described as a little sharper, and less muted. As these had been paired with the stock muffler, there wasn’t an extreme difference but it was noticeable. Paired with exhaust valve switching controller set to “noisy” – the car sounds really aggressive on cold-start during the catalyst heating phase, and also sounds great when its running wide open in the upper rev-range. It seemed the change was the least noticeable during the middle load/rpm ranges. Naturally this is all subjective. I was really impressed with the installation simplicity of the exhaust valve controller. I love how it’s an inline device that’s either pass-thru or controlled and that it simply installs in-line with the existing component. Programming the key-chain transmitters to the garage door opener was a simple task, but I found the operation via those buttons was hit and miss. I suspect it might be because the transmitter is all the way up on the front of the vehicle. The air filters fit well, the addition of the adhesive gaskets is critical for a good seal in this case. I was out of the Porsche specified grease at the time (some did come in later) but the supplied K&N filter grease worked really well to help the filter mountings slide into place.
Overall I’d say all three products are pretty darn good, which with my experience in installing anything aftermarket, comes as really high praise.
Guys, I think it serves No-Useful-Purpose to just BRAG on changes because you might be conceived as a Dumb-*** for spending the money if you don't BRAG ???

What your going to see and read below is what I refer to as, {The Complete-Story}.

Below is my thoughts from the 1st time Starting-Up the GT4 at PON to after I had driven it extensively as well as ridden in it when Jim Dillard drove it for many Hours and Miles
one afternoon.

Guys,
Here is what I Really-really think when I drove away from PON (Porsche of Nashville) using the Cargraphics valve controller to OPEN the valves wide-open,continuous.
It was to me so FREAKING-LOUD inside the cabin with windows up and of course AC on.
It's Super Hottttttt here like 105 to 110 Heat-Index.
Let me see if I can just maybe give you all the general idea.
I drove away from PON slowly and I do have the PDK, Sport Mode engaged, Auto-Stop-Off.
I found if you drive away from a stop in a slow, normal manner the inside NOISE-Level to me is Pathetic !!!
If you drive away and have the room in front of you to accelerate a little more bristly that sound-level-inside is totally then bearable.
Driving at speeds like 45-50-55-60 and up and keep in mind in Sport-Mode 7th gear is Locked-Out.
The interior noise level is for the most part okay.
Remember, I'm always in Sport-Mode .............
I then tried the overhead Btn. to go to Full Automatic for the valves.
Note* The overhead buttons worked perfect every-time with me as well as Jim Dillard.
Now that ^^^ you can IMHO definitely live with.
It pretty much for all practical purposes mimics the Stock Exhaust System in the Fully-Automatic-Mode.
You could actually listen to the Bose audio system.

Outside I don't really have a Clue about other than ............
My wife (Cathy) said to me when I came in the house she heard me leave and drive away in the GT4.
We have New Double-Insulated-Windows.
So, that indicates to me the GT4 must apparently be rather LOUD on the outside for her to have heard me come and go from inside the house and me NOT driving CRAZY in the Subdivision.

Oops,
Almost forgot to say the following.
Under WOT and it shifting at 8K RPM through 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd it is a WILD-Machine.
It Shifts Hard and you Damn sure know your in a High-Performance-Sports-Car.
Once again as a Reminder all this is done in Sports Mode above and now.
On Downshifts it makes those Very-Noticeable POPS & Crackles that so many love.
That I do like where the Stock System simply to me never really did that or if it did was much more Subtle.

Here's to me the Bottom-Line:
As I tried to explain and give you what I thought on leaving PON above.
I actually thought this is CRAZY I'm going to reschedule and have the Stock OAP reinstalled and leave the Cargraphics valve controller & the BMS Performance intake filters.
But ................
I thought before you do that ^^^ drive the Damn car and put some miles on it and then make a more Logical Decision versus instantly Jumping-the-Gun.

My conclusion now is I'm leaving mine as it is.
And when I want the GT4 to be Much-much more of a Bad-*** Sports Car I'll push the # II overhead Cargraphics Btn and open the valves continuously.
If I want to NOT hear all the Excessive Racket I'll simply use the Cargraphics # III button and engage the Fully Automatic Function.

Lastly,
I drove over to visit with Jim Dillard a member here on Rennlist.com
As you have seen he (Jim) has a 2022 Gentian Blue (Fully-Loaded) Porsche Spyder that's thankfully headed to a port here in the USA as I type this.
So it want be long now .............

Back to the SOUL OAP ..........
When I was almost to Jim's house he walked-out and had me stop and said Nail it !!!
Yes, guys, I did confirm he wasn't going to get in trouble and he said, JUST-DO-IT.
Hang on guys ............
Then I drove around the block to reach the back street where his garage entrance is.
You ALREADY have GUESSED, once gain I was Motioned to do it again.
I was now at the beginning of the street so enough room to do a WOT from STOP and let it Shift to 2nd gear and then Climb-HARD on the Brakes.
I'm not going to try to recall exactly what Jim had to say but if he checks out this post he can then choose to SHARE what he really thought ???
As well as what he thought after driving it for an afternoon with my instructions to drive anyway he chose with No-Restraints.

Here are the pictures supplied to me by Nick at Porsche of Nashville (PON).

Thanks for the continuing support,
Terry
The following 7 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
cybers3c (08-01-2022), Elegant (08-01-2022), isthar (11-27-2023), Jeff Jones (08-01-2022), jimdillard (08-01-2022), RoadrunnerGTS (08-01-2022), Will-i-am718 (08-11-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:42 PM
jimdillard
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 148 Posts

Terry,

EXCELLENT post! SO much useful information. This is the kind of stuff that makes Rennlist a phenomenal resource. And many thanks to Nick Gwozdz at Porsche of Nashville for his tremendously skilled mechanical work. As I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, those of us that live in the Middle Tennessee area are VERY fortunate to have Nick available. He is THE BEST. And suffice it to say, held in VERY HIGH ESTEEM by all of us Porsche nuts in the Greater Nashville/Middle Tennessee area.

If I may add a few comments regarding my admittedly subjective observations of your SOUL OAP exhaust and air intake modifications:

1. Exterior Sound: I've heard your GT4 while standing outside the car during "drive-by's" without the SOUL OAP's, and again more recently with the SOUL OAP's installed, so I think I have a basis for comparison. The two, exhaust-valve-open WOT "STOMP ON IT" demos you did in front and behind our house after the SOUL install were extremely impressive, with a very different, deep-throated howl as compared to the sound produced with the OEM OAP's (with GPF's). The Youtube video on the SOUL web site doesn't do these pipes justice. They sound MUCH BETTER than on their video. My greatest concern was to get Terry off our city street and hidden behind our house by our garage in case somebody had called the cops. These pipes sound AMAZINGLY GOOD.

2. Interior Sound: This is where the Cargraphics Controller really earns its keep. And where the Homelink remote control system is amazingly useful. Albeit noisier than the OEM system, at lower speeds I LOVED the sound of the SOUL pipes and open exhaust valves...at ALL RPM's. It just sounds so darned GOOD. The ability to easily OPEN and CLOSE the exhaust valves using the Cargraphics and Homelink remote buttons was EXCELLENT...so EASY! At higher cruising speeds the SOUL pipes still sound great...but I preferred the exhaust valves CLOSED. And when CLOSED they're not overpowering...yet you still know the SOUL pipes are there. One thing I think is distinctly noticeable is the DEEP GROWL out of your BMC Performance air filters when you STOMP ON IT. That is an AWESOME and very noticeable SOUND. And in my view, much improved over the OEM air filters...but again...when you STOMP ON IT.

I'm sure I've missed something above...but thanks again for posting all your data and photos!
The following 3 users liked this post by jimdillard:
Elegant (08-01-2022), isthar (11-27-2023), tigerhonaker (08-02-2022)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker