Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:36 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by brades
I've been running the Kline Inconel exhaust w/o headers for about a week now on my CGTS4.0. For me, I still hear a bit of drone, about the same as stock but it doesn't seem to be as boomy. I haven't done the SS delete and I don't plan on doing it. It's not obnoxiously loud with the valves open cruising around town. I haven't really been able to get in the higher rpm range yet due to engine break-in but this new exhaust has caused me to go a bit past 4k rpm a few times... and it's friggin glorious. Downshifts sound so much better now as well... very exotic sounding. I'm very happy with it.
I'd love to see an interior driving video of that system. Congrats on the car and the new sounds!
Old 01-14-2022, 04:36 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
If you get the full system with headers the drone is entirely gone... but its louder.... Driving with the valves closed is much better below the 4k level when they open. Open 100% of the time with the 200 cell headers is just loud!
Give it some more miles and I think your ears will aclimate. I’ve driven 1000+ miles now since adding the headers and I don’t think it is that much louder anymore. Valves always open and sport exhaust button always on. Initially my ears were ringing at higher revs but the same happened when I added just the exhaust/oap. Definitely sounds better in the lower rev ranges with the headers and definitely more power.

if anyone thinks the exhaust/oap combo is already great but wants more, or if you don’t like the sound at lower revs - try the headers I doubt you will be disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:34 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The problem with drone is that we all hear it differently, Kit reports it in his follow up video (spyder).
True. But his report of drone was from 5000-5500....and he had a hard time defining it as "drone". I have never experienced that. And that range is so "transient"(IOW I go through it so rapidly) that if it is there, it is very brief. I mean who cruises around in that range for very long?? Usually when you are going through that range it is in transition with the hammer down. Maybe the next time out I will intentionally go "looking" for it.

Unrelated to what we are talking about above.....I just took an hour drive. One other thing about this exhaust, and probably others, is that it is somewhat of a solution to the long gearing. I guess all I am saying is that it sounds so damn good when you get to 6500rpm you feel the instinctual need to shift as it is screaming at that point(6MT Spyder). If you stay in it to redline, the world is ending. Yeah I know. A bit melodramatic. But the point being is it makes the lower RPM ranges MUCH more enjoyable without the need to feel like you have to stay in it to redline. But when you do.....yikes!!!

Last edited by flynlo; 01-14-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:33 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Give it some more miles and I think your ears will aclimate. I’ve driven 1000+ miles now since adding the headers and I don’t think it is that much louder anymore. Valves always open and sport exhaust button always on. Initially my ears were ringing at higher revs but the same happened when I added just the exhaust/oap. Definitely sounds better in the lower rev ranges with the headers and definitely more power.

if anyone thinks the exhaust/oap combo is already great but wants more, or if you don’t like the sound at lower revs - try the headers I doubt you will be disappointed.
Still after awhile of driving... the BRAP BRAP BRAP at lower rev range of 3 to 5k with valves open at WOT is fairly intense. Its really so clean and beautiful now closed then open at 4k. But either way its just heaven the way the car is now. Stomp on the gas and it is just an explosion of sound and fury - really amazing!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:48 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,435 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
True. But his report of drone was from 5000-5500....and he had a hard time defining it as "drone". I have never experienced that. And that range is so "transient"(IOW I go through it so rapidly) that if it is there, it is very brief. I mean who cruises around in that range for very long?? Usually when you are going through that range it is in transition with the hammer down. Maybe the next time out I will intentionally go "looking" for it.
This is the video I was referring to, all this is fresh in my mind after going through my own experiment with an exhaust. He notes drone in the 2000 range which is right in the zone. I would think it would be less of an issue with a soft top and top down.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:03 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
This is the video I was referring to, all this is fresh in my mind after going through my own experiment with an exhaust. He notes drone in the 2000 range which is right in the zone. I would think it would be less of an issue with a soft top and top down.
https://youtu.be/Epf6E3lUB-w
Well the only thing I can say is it does not exist in my car or I am not hearing it. Maybe he forgot to turn the Cylinder deactivation off??? Yeah, it drones like hell in that range regardless of the exhaust. But I am here to tell you I hear nothing of the sort. It may just be me. And again, next time in the car I will go "looking" for it!!!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Well the only thing I can say is it does not exist in my car or I am not hearing it. Maybe he forgot to turn the Cylinder deactivation off??? Yeah, it drones like hell in that range regardless of the exhaust. But I am here to tell you I hear nothing of the sort. It may just be me. And again, next time in the car I will go "looking" for it!!!
Come on @flynlo it's been over 18 hours, you must have gone for a drive by now!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:56 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
If you get the full system with headers the drone is entirely gone... but its louder.... Driving with the valves closed is much better below the 4k level when they open. Open 100% of the time with the 200 cell headers is just loud!
I drive with full exhaust 200 cell cats with open valves all ways , it’s not bad under 4K , over 5 it’s just superior , loud and lovely !!!!
dnimi123 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 07:07 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Come on @flynlo it's been over 18 hours, you must have gone for a drive by now!
Stupid work. I’m out flying around. Did a charter yesterday and another today. Currently sitting on the ground in Topeka KS waiting for the lady Baylor Bears BB team. Back to normal flying tomorrow. I won’t be able to get out until Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. But I’ll let you know. I’m positive it’s not there though. It sounds just awesome in all ranges IMO.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Stupid work. I’m out flying around. Did a charter yesterday and another today. Currently sitting on the ground in Topeka KS waiting for the lady Baylor Bears BB team. Back to normal flying tomorrow. I won’t be able to get out until Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. But I’ll let you know. I’m positive it’s not there though. It sounds just awesome in all ranges IMO.
I don't feel sorry for you, one of the things I always wanted to get was my pilots license, you're flying around the country (making money I hope) probably having a blast, then you come home to a couple of pretties, I've seen the pictures.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
flynlo (01-17-2022), kwikit356 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:29 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Nut
I drive with full exhaust 200 cell cats with open valves all ways , it’s not bad under 4K , over 5 it’s just superior , loud and lovely !!!!
Hey @K-Nut thanks! You and Pete are the main reason (as well as the support and encouragement of others!) I went with Kline and then all the way to the 200cells. So happy with the full system. Its also sounding better and better as I drive it - the ECU tune also does not hurt. Maybe thats a reason why the sound for me under 4k WOT with valves open sound just a touch harsh on the inside... I need to take some videos. But overall Kline is working out way better than I ever expected and this mod has made the car even more special.
K-Nut (01-19-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 10:47 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

I had the joy of spending the day with my family at The Shop, a local car club I belong to with full garage/tools/lifts, etc. We all went there to install my Kline OPF/Muffler…my two boys to help and my wife to take photos. We got the car up on the lift…always a challenge with low cars, and then had brunch while the exhaust cooled. I’m happy to say it was a success! It took us about 4-5 hours but I’m slow and make a lot of mistakes. I’ll do a write up another time but overall, it was pretty straight forward. Some basic instructions from Kline would have made it easier but we plowed ahead.

The ride home was sublime. I’m loving the sound of the exhaust across the full RPM range. Never obnoxious, a nice low end rumble and a beautiful wail. I’m running PSE so I haven’t been able to hear what it sounds like open all the time but it still sounds great. More details, videos, etc in the near future but for now I need the Advil to kick in 😂

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
DFW01TT (01-18-2022), UncleDude (01-16-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 09:39 AM
Voyager006
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
…my two boys to help and my wife to take photos
That's my kind of family outing
2-seater; who rode in the frunk and who rode in the trunk?
Old 01-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager006
That's my kind of family outing
2-seater; who rode in the frunk and who rode in the trunk?
It was a two car caravan. The Volvo carried the exhaust and was there for any part or tool runs we needed to make 😃
Old 01-17-2022, 04:52 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

For those that paid to have the OAP and muffler installed, how much did it cost / how many hours did they bill you for?

Im waiting on two inquiries, but I almost wonder if I should put the money towards a quickjack and do it myself.
Jeff Jones (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust