Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 PM
jacksot
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
FYI. Here is the video sent to me by Kline. Stainless Steel OAP + Stainless Steel Valvetronic system. Stock Headers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vb_ADozuNk

That being said, I went ahead and took the leap of faith for the inconel system without the headers and I'm pairing it with the Soul valve controller to top it off and have sound also on the low RPM side.
Wow that sounds great. Interestingly, just had a long conversation with my local installer who highly recommended Kline, even showing off an inconel example they happened to have in stock for a different car. Would love to hear some drive by and in cabin clips before placing an order though.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 998 Likes on 500 Posts

Any updates on the Kline exhaust ltlf09 ?
Old 12-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

FWIW I ended up ordering the Kline Inconel Valvetronic Exhaust through SupremePower since I already had the Akrapovic OAP on order through them (they also had the best price for this exhaust).
Neither of us knew this (it's not clear on the Kline website), but Kline requires that you order their OAP to bolt up to their valvetronic exhaust. Not sure why this is the case, but my plan to pair the Akrapovic OAP with the Kline Inconel exhaust went down the drain.
Made the decision to cancel the Akrapovic OAP and go with the Kline Inconel OAP to pair with the exhaust (someone in the Akrapovic group buy just got bumped up, I was set to receive a set from the incoming batch). Similar to Akrapovic, they wanted to know when my GT4 was manufactured and asked for some additional photos of my OAP to confirm mounting.
Due to COVID, their timing to build and ship is 12-16 weeks in case anyone else was thinking about going with this setup and wanted instant gratification. My GT4 is parked for the winter, so I have more than enough time to wait for it to arrive.
Similar to Akrapovic, their exhaust tips are an additional charge; flip side is that you aren't required to purchase them and can re-use the OEM tips which I'm planning on doing.

I'll post up images and more info in a few months when I receive it. Thanks to Eric at SupremePower for being extremely flexible as I waffled between different setups this past week. As always, easy to deal with and got everything sorted quickly.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 440 Posts

Look carefully at the kline oap. Their top opening is larger than the bottom one. This is because the valves closed path comes off the bottom in this design and is pulled through the side muffler. On the stock exhaust its reversed. The valves open path is on bottom. So you would be running through the side mufflers on the stock exhaust with the valves open if you just got their opf deletes. Or if you just ran their aftermarket muffler, it would be pulling through the smaller opf opening through their x pipe. If i was getting kline, I would get the whole shebang with the headers. I suspect this will be a very street friendly system with the valves connected and pretty epic with valves unplugged.

Last edited by Rennolazine; 12-11-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:31 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusive991
FWIW I ended up ordering the Kline Inconel Valvetronic Exhaust through SupremePower since I already had the Akrapovic OAP on order through them (they also had the best price for this exhaust).
Neither of us knew this (it's not clear on the Kline website), but Kline requires that you order their OAP to bolt up to their valvetronic exhaust. Not sure why this is the case, but my plan to pair the Akrapovic OAP with the Kline Inconel exhaust went down the drain.
Made the decision to cancel the Akrapovic OAP and go with the Kline Inconel OAP to pair with the exhaust (someone in the Akrapovic group buy just got bumped up, I was set to receive a set from the incoming batch). Similar to Akrapovic, they wanted to know when my GT4 was manufactured and asked for some additional photos of my OAP to confirm mounting.
Due to COVID, their timing to build and ship is 12-16 weeks in case anyone else was thinking about going with this setup and wanted instant gratification. My GT4 is parked for the winter, so I have more than enough time to wait for it to arrive.
Similar to Akrapovic, their exhaust tips are an additional charge; flip side is that you aren't required to purchase them and can re-use the OEM tips which I'm planning on doing.

I'll post up images and more info in a few months when I receive it. Thanks to Eric at SupremePower for being extremely flexible as I waffled between different setups this past week. As always, easy to deal with and got everything sorted quickly.
Im also very interested in how this sounds. My car comes later this month and got the cargraphic valve controller so will drive the car this way for a few months while breaking in. By then you should have yours and others will too. Looking fwd to your impressions... Also great to know Eric can source this exhaust as well... Thx
Old 12-12-2020, 10:43 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Look carefully at the kline oap. Their top opening is larger than the bottom one. This is because the valves closed path comes off the bottom in this design and is pulled through the side muffler. On the stock exhaust its reversed. The valves open path is on bottom. So you would be running through the side mufflers on the stock exhaust with the valves open if you just got their opf deletes. Or if you just ran their aftermarket muffler, it would be pulling through the smaller opf opening through their x pipe. If i was getting kline, I would get the whole shebang with the headers. I suspect this will be a very street friendly system with the valves connected and pretty epic with valves unplugged.
The Kline website states that they use 100 cell cats. This would require an ECU tune to avoid a CEL. I don't know if there is a 200 cell cat option which would work with the stock ECU and be totally OBD compliant.

Last edited by VVG; 12-12-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
The Kline website states that they use 100 cell cats. This would require an ECU tune to avoid a CEL. I don't know if there is a 200 cell cat option which would work with the stock ECU and be totally OBD compliant.
They also have headers with 200 cell cats that work with the stock ecu. 100%. The only thing that is technically emissions compliant is stock. If you change emissions equipment its only “for race track use”. You wont fail emissions in most US states since they only check via OBD. But it technically ain’t legal
Old 12-12-2020, 12:26 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

That's not a bad price for an Inconel exhaust that retains the valves and the tips are included to boot! Cheaper than the Akrapovic, but the Akrapovic titanium link pipes are a better value than the Kline link pipes.

Fully in agreement.

I just don’t get why would anyone consider anything else when Akrapovic exsists.
You buy expensive car with operating costs like tires, insurance, car depreciation, gas, etc. Why saving on exhaust?
Old 12-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart driver
Fully in agreement.

I just don’t get why would anyone consider anything else when Akrapovic exsists.
You buy expensive car with operating costs like tires, insurance, car depreciation, gas, etc. Why saving on exhaust?
I think because akrapovic is expensive, conservative in terms of volume (appeal to larger market) but still drone sometimes. Its good to have options.
edit: referring to full systems, the link pipes are a steal

Last edited by Rennolazine; 12-12-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:47 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I think because akrapovic is expensive, conservative in terms of volume (appeal to larger market) but still drone sometimes. Its good to have options.
edit: referring to full systems, the link pipes are a steal

I had Kline exhaust on my Turbo S several years ago. It sounded good, but not perfect.
I ve had Akrapovic on my GT3 for a year already and it is just awesome.

The thing with Akrapovic is that it doesn’t change the original personality of car’s sound, it enhances it. And that is why Akrapovic put so much efforts in developing their exhausts.
It is easy to produce just a loud exhaust and completely change the sound to muscle car sound, which many manufactures of aftermarket exhausts do. But it is difficult to keep up with the original tone enhancing it, which Akra does.

Last edited by kart driver; 12-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I completely agree about both akra and kline. Akra sounds really good on some cars, not so much on others. I replaced akra with kline in my 991.2 but that car was turbo’ed so honestly both werent great compared to NA. On the gt3 which sounds glorious from factory, either exhaust would sound great. On the gt4, however, which sounds pretty bad from the factory, amplifying the oem sound is likely not the way to go. Also both manufacturers are relatively tame and easy to live with hence their broader appeal.
caveat: i have heard neither on spyder or gt4 in person only stock muffler setups. So i may be wrong.

Last edited by Rennolazine; 12-12-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:31 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Originally Posted by kart driver
Fully in agreement.

I'm not buying a cherry bomb muffler from NAPA; I don't think many folks would consider the Kline inconel setup cheap by any means. With the tips, the Kline setup is more expensive than Akrapovic, so if you want to measure by cost, then Kline must be better. By this logic, everyone should go with JCR because why are we all being so cheap buying an exhaust that isn't the most expensive? Any other exhaust setup is just savings when you should be shelling out for the best, highest cost setup available (which it may be for some folks and can justify the cost for what they want). It's simply a quantitative observation that the Kline rear section is better value than the Akrapovic one, and vice versa for the OAP. If anyone is just looking for an OAP, I'd definitely go with Akrapovic; as I said, I planned on using that paired with the Kline exhaust, but as @Rennolazine pointed out, it's set up differently than stock and pretty much every other exhaust option out there (I am surprised they did this, Kline, as it limits the number of potential clients who may have only been interested in the OAP or exhaust).

For you, it sounds like Akrapovic is the gold standard and everything else is inferior, which is great, you have a very easy decision to make if you choose to get a new exhaust.
Based on the sound clips I've been able to hear and compare as well as friends opinions who have installed exhausts from both companies, I prefer the Kline exhaust (granted this is on the SS setup on a Spyder, I expect the Inconel to be even better based on other clips of Inconel exhausts!). I was considering ordering a custom exhaust from a Japanese tuner, but thought I'd give this a try first.

I wish there were comparable sound clips for all of these exhaust options, from one person/channel using the same camera/microphone so it's a fair comparison. Unfortunately as an early adopter, I have to go with what's currently available and that's the risk I'm willing to take to go this route for something I'm hoping satisfies what I want to achieve with the exhaust.

On the other hand, if every exhaust manufacturer wants to send me a full exhaust setup to do a fair comparison using all of the same equipment, I'd be MORE than happy to do so haha.

Last edited by Illusive991; 12-12-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:25 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Really don't get it why some people use $$$$ to gauge how good X item is.....
For example, in the past the Akra setups had one of the worst return on investment performance wise...I have seen more economical solutions with very good quality blow them out of the water when it was time for testing.
Most of that price is driven by the material and brand name....not actual performance numbers. Sound? Well that's very subjective.
BTW....ask GT3RS owners why sometime Titanium is not the best material for your exhaust system. Inconel or SS are a better choice.
If you ask me....unless you really want Inconel I would save $$$ and get good quality parts in Stainless Steel.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:53 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Really don't get it why some people use $$$$ to gauge how good X item is.....
For example, in the past the Akra setups had one of the worst return on investment performance wise...I have seen more economical solutions with very good quality blow them out of the water when it was time for testing.
Most of that price is driven by the material and brand name....not actual performance numbers. Sound? Well that's very subjective.
BTW....ask GT3RS owners why sometime Titanium is not the best material for your exhaust system. Inconel or SS are a better choice.
If you ask me....unless you really want Inconel I would save $$$ and get good quality parts in Stainless Steel.
Yup, the Kline SS OAP + Exhaust is a very cost effective solution and I think it sounds great based on the clip earlier in this thread. I'm assuming I can't say what price I was quoted, but ballpark in case you're interested: the SS OAP + exhaust its less than the cost of the Inconel exhaust alone.

Different strokes for different folks, I'm looking forward to hearing the Inconel system installed; expect it to have more of a exotic/howl to it based on other Kline Inconel systems I've heard.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:56 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Yup, the Kline SS OAP + Exhaust is a very cost effective solution and I think it sounds great based on the clip earlier in this thread. I'm assuming I can't say what price I was quoted, but ballpark in case you're interested: the SS OAP + exhaust its less than the cost of the Inconel exhaust alone.

Different strokes for different folks, I'm looking forward to hearing the Inconel system installed; expect it to have more of a exotic/howl to it based on other Kline Inconel systems I've heard.

Pretty sure the sound from the Kline will be awesome.....my priorities for the exhaust were more on the performance side.
My previous GT4 (981) had Cargraphic race headers and a GT3 muffler conversion by TPC Racing.
The system was simple, no PSE as I ran it Cup style, light and delivered the numbers (HP) I was looking for.
On the 718 the only system that mimics those requirements is the Soul Race System. Since I don't want PSE I can get rid of a dual path with valves exhaust.
Really wonder why there aren't more exhaust manufacturers doing this style of systems....simple, light and uncorks the most power...ohhh also they are less costly.
The following users liked this post:
Vintage72 (12-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust