Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023 | 10:13 AM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

^That, or maybe the sound symposer is still doing it's thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by 6IXSPD:
sonicworld (09-15-2024), TRSCobra (03-23-2023), Z06jerry (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023 | 11:38 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
It is not the sound symposer. . . PSE activated or inactivated makes no difference in acoustics.

Further, the acoustic output described is clearly from the exhaust.

Avera
Old 03-22-2023 | 12:35 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD

Originally Posted by Avera
It is not the sound symposer. . . PSE activated or inactivated makes no difference in acoustics.

Further, the acoustic output described is clearly from the exhaust.

Avera
@Avera Sound Symposer does it's thing above ~ 4000 rpm PSE On and Off. I put a cork in mine, big improvement IMO. Very simple to do, give it a try.
Old 03-22-2023 | 12:48 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
@Avera Sound Symposer does it's thing above ~ 4000 rpm PSE On and Off. I put a cork in mine, big improvement IMO. Very simple to do, give it a try.
Thank you but . . .

1. I’m not trying to reduce any acoustic experience/inputs

2. PSE controls valves and sound symposer. I have shaft collars in place holding my valves open, so there would be no reason for me to activate PSE if I did not want sound symposer activated.

3. As it turns out, if I activate PSE with my current setup there is absolutely no difference compared to PSE inactivated. In other words, the sound symposer does nothing in terms of my acoustic experience. Most likely because, in my case, the exhaust is so loud it overwhelms any contribution by the sound symposer.

Avera
Old 03-22-2023 | 12:58 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by Avera
Thank you but . . .

1. I’m not trying to reduce any acoustic experience/inputs

2. PSE controls valves and sound symposer. I have shaft collars in place holding my valves open, so there would be no reason for me to activate PSE if I did not want sound symposer activated.

3. As it turns out, if I activate PSE with my current setup there is absolutely no difference compared to PSE inactivated. In other words, the sound symposer does nothing in terms of my acoustic experience. Most likely because, in my case, the exhaust is so loud it overwhelms any contribution by the sound symposer.

Avera
Doesn't matter what you do with the switch, Sound Symposer opens up above ~ 4k, and adds significant (not necessarily very harmonic) db's.

Old 03-22-2023 | 01:04 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Doesn't matter what you do with the switch, Sound Symposer opens up above ~ 4k, and adds significant (not necessarily very harmonic) db's.
Not according @snrubel 's thread. He drove around in his car (GTS) with the panelling out and confirmed it is only active with the PSE button on.
Old 03-22-2023 | 01:11 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Not according @snrubel 's thread. He drove around in his car (GTS) with the panelling out and confirmed it is only active with the PSE button on.

@UncleDude Yeah, I'm familiar with that thread but disagree based on my own experience. It takes very little effort and zero cost to plug the symposer and reach your own conclusion.

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023 | 01:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

@UncleDude Yeah, I'm familiar with that thread but disagree based on my own experience. It takes very little effort and zero cost to plug the symposer and reach your own conclusion.
I hear the difference with the PSE off and on, so I won't be bothering with taking it out or plugging it, plus I like the sound it makes. To my ear the sound it is clearly different (easily spotted on downshifts from higher rpm's) with PSE off or on, valves closed in either case.
Old 03-22-2023 | 01:30 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

It is all good . . . either way, I am not looking to reduce any decibels

Avera
Old 03-29-2023 | 01:29 AM
PhilH930
Instructor

Wow, what a thread. Collected a 718 BGTS a week ago and have the same mixed feelings about exhaust below 4k RPM. Started looking into the wired option, then cargraphic, and then found this thread. Needless to say I just ordered from McMaster. If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd go and pick them up - sometimes the stars align in that McMaster is 15 miles from home. Can't wait to experiment, and just looked under car and seems plenty of clearance to install without using ramps.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhilH930:
981KMAN (03-29-2023), UncleDude (03-29-2023)
Old 04-03-2023 | 08:14 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I ended up taking mine off entirely because I felt like there was just too much sound when I didn't want it. Granted, I had them up pretty far so the valves were almost wide open the whole time. I might dabble again with some settings but I like what I have with Akra OAP's as the stand alone mod. Now I just need to learn to live with that 4K RPM silliness, or possibly experiment with having the valves closed all the time and see if I like that. I probably won't.
This is what I'm trying to figure out. OAPs + Collar and potentially a bit too loud all the time or OAPs + Controller to fully quiet it down when you need to. Does anyone know if you can buy a cheaper ECU tune for valve control? It seems to just be a freebie option with Softronic and M-Engineering and I have no interest in a performance tune (and does this actually change valve behavior or is it merely PSE memory?).
Old 04-03-2023 | 08:30 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
This is what I'm trying to figure out. OAPs + Collar and potentially a bit too loud all the time or OAPs + Controller to fully quiet it down when you need to. Does anyone know if you can buy a cheaper ECU tune for valve control? It seems to just be a freebie option with Softronic and M-Engineering and I have no interest in a performance tune (and does this actually change valve behavior or is it merely PSE memory?).
Simple answer… OAP + Collar Mod. If you don’t like the flaps open at all times, then remove them, and get a controller. You cant go wrong giving this a shot, at a price under $20, and 30 minutes of your time.

The only time where the 4.0 is “loud” with this combination is when you’re on the throttle. You wont find me rippin through my development pissing off neighbors.
Old 04-03-2023 | 10:01 PM
GoodRevrnd
Racer

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Simple answer… OAP + Collar Mod. If you don’t like the flaps open at all times, then remove them, and get a controller. You cant go wrong giving this a shot, at a price under $20, and 30 minutes of your time.

The only time where the 4.0 is “loud” with this combination is when you’re on the throttle. You wont find me rippin through my development pissing off neighbors.
Fair point! Ok, so cruising by at 2500 rpm with valves stuck 30% open isn't going to tear up the neighborhood? My reference point is putting any exhaust on my current rumbly V8 + cold start which would probably be enough to irritate people.
Old 04-03-2023 | 10:41 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoodRevrnd
Fair point! Ok, so cruising by at 2500 rpm with valves stuck 30% open isn't going to tear up the neighborhood? My reference point is putting any exhaust on my current rumbly V8 + cold start which would probably be enough to irritate people.

You will be good to go at 95% full open (my setup).
Start 95% open. I doubt you will, but you can always work your way down from there. OAP + Collars is not like going full Dundon Crack Pretzel status. Im glad I listened to many other members who suggested to go this route first, prior to going with a full setup - its curbed my appetite for more… for the time being
Old 04-03-2023 | 10:56 PM
Greg_STL
Instructor

Back in post 463, I put collars on a Kline Inconel exhaust. I loved it on the first test drive. I've learned to love it less on the highway. When you are on back roads or around town it is great. You slide past the bad harmonics around 2.5k quickly. On the highway, our gearing (on PDKs) puts you at 2.5k right at 75mph. I spend a lot of time right around 75mph driving to and from work on the highway. I find myself putting it in manual and shifting down to sixth when cruising constantly at 75mph. I did finally get to the autox with it and I again - I loved it there. I like it enough in total that I have not taken them off. I do think I am heading for a tune or a valve controller so that I can have the best of both worlds. I'm not sure I would have jumped to doing the tune/controller without having done this first.

Last edited by Greg_STL; 04-03-2023 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (04-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!