Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 AM
GT4Faby
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Hey Guys,

are there any options of modding the exhaust valves so they never close? Is it possible to disconnect the valves?

I simply don't want to install any add-on boxes and wiring inside my engine bay.

Thank you!

Last edited by GT4Faby; 09-29-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Popular Reply

03-27-2022, 05:45 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 615 Likes on 313 Posts
Default Easy Exhaust Valve Mod - With Adjustability

So I tried the "Wire Full Open" and did not like the slight drone when cruising around town. So I wanted a way to have the exhaust valves close "part way" in the ~1800-3800 rpm range, giving the increased volume desired, yet not the full blast.... and some adjustability to select the desired exhaust level.

I found these
split collars on Amazon split collars on Amazon
for a 6mm shaft (that's what the Valve shaft measures), and black oxide finished for corrosion protection. They cost about $13 for a set of 4, so I ordered a set.

They took about 5 minutes each to install, mainly due to not lifting the car and working up close thus my eyes were taxed. They fit perfectly and allow for significant adjustability in how much valve closure you desire. When the valves pull shut, the split collar stop squarely on the valve mounting bracket.

I set them with approximately 70% valve closure, you will hear a very slight reduction in volume at ~1800 rpm when accelerating, yet you have to be listening for it to notice it, other wise the exhaust note sound smooth and very linear as the rpm increase. No drone, and a perfect increase in exhaust note volume in the 1800-3800 rpm cruising range!

I like this mod and it only cost $13

Old 09-29-2020, 07:13 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 259 Posts

Already been discussed extensively in the last months...

2 options

6 mm grub screw inserted in vacuum lines/reatach the lines to valve for OEM look or to body with zipties
use metal wire to kep the valves open (default position when engine off), preventing them to close
The following 4 users liked this post by kart125:
autoxerGT3RS (09-30-2020), GT4Faby (09-29-2020), jimdillard (08-24-2023), Mcx (12-04-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:38 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kart125
Already been discussed extensively in the last months...

2 options

6 mm grub screw inserted in vacuum lines/reatach the lines to valve for OEM look or to body with zipties
use metal wire to kep the valves open (default position when engine off), preventing them to close
or buy https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...l/exflaprcpo1/
The following users liked this post:
GT4Faby (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM
GT4Faby
Track Day

Thank you a lot! I found everything I was searching for.

I'm going to quote all interesting posts for everyone who is searching for this topic:

Originally Posted by Dbridges
The previous description worked great for me! The valves are normally open so when the vacuum lines are removed, they are already open. It is pretty easy to remove the vacuum lines and insert the M6 grub screw even without being on a lift or jackstands. I did it by hand (although on one side it did came off quickly as I was forcing it, and I have a bloody knuckle to show for it!). Suggest that you do it when the car is cold; much easier to touch/feel what you're doing. Enjoy the music.
Originally Posted by blraider97
Ended up doing the vacuum line mod with the grub screws and actually like the sound. There is a hint of resonance between 2-2.5k RPM in certain situations but it doesn’t bother me given that I wanted the car to sound more robust below 4K. And the fact that I only take the GT4 out for spirited drives, usually by myself (my happy place), and don’t care to listen to music while doing so makes it completely acceptable. I believe the next step is Soul over-axle pipes - no other reasons for Soul other than I have buddies that have been very happy with them on other p-cars so figured I’d give it a shot. In the interim, I recommend yanking those vacuum lines, screwing in some M6 grub screws, reconnecting and enjoying more of that sweet n/a engine.
Originally Posted by metalone
Super easy procedure, didn't require lift , just unplugged the lines with the hand, released a side clamp to have the end at a working reach, screwed the headless screws and inch or so, and plug again.

Don't expect a significant chance, because is very subtle . What I would highlight though is that the car feels less restricted reaching 4000rpm and that "drone" that used to listen passing the 4000rpm doesn't bother me anymore.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Rxpert
Chiming in to say thanks to the previous posters for mentioning and helping with this mod. I just plugged the each of the valves with a couple M6 grub screws. I can’t quite tell a huge difference honestly, but I feel better now knowing the valves are open all the time.

Since this is the very first time I’ve “worked” on a Porsche it was a little a scary to just start pulling and plugging stuff. If anyone else comes across this thread and hasn’t worked on a P-car before either I thought I’d attach some extra pictures to show exactly where things were located as it wasn’t super clear to a new person like me:

I took off the wheels to do this. It’s not required, but since I didn’t know where or what I was looking for I thought it would help. I only took an additional 10 minutes to pop the tires off and on so I’d still recommend doing so for simplicity sake. Blue arrow indicates where to look for the vacuum lines:

An alternate closer view with the area circled:

Last but not least a close up of everything. Left circle is where you pull the vacuum lines off the exhaust valves, plug with a screw, then put back on. Right is the retaining clip you can undo in order to free more of the vacuum
line to work with.

Solution 2:

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by GAZZ

Wired to open position (default position with engine off).
​​​​​​​
The following 6 users liked this post by GT4Faby:
aus (02-09-2022), Freud (07-22-2021), fueledbymetal (01-07-2021), jwr9152 (01-06-2021), slilley (01-04-2021), Tyler85 (06-08-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:50 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
OP asked for cheap mods to keep valves open all the time so that is why I didnt include the valve control modules like Soul and cargraphic.
The following 4 users liked this post by kart125:
fueledbymetal (01-07-2021), GT4Faby (09-30-2020), jimdillard (08-24-2023), Mcx (12-04-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 04:10 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Originally Posted by kart125
OP asked for cheap mods to keep valves open all the time so that is why I didnt include the valve control modules like Soul and cargraphic.
You're right, I was thinking "cheap for a Porsche owner", but my cheap isn't everybodies cheap. Had myself a golf tee mod in mind, did do this myself a decade ago, on BMW when no switches were available yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ramon Vennik:
GT4Faby (09-30-2020), Westcoast (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:34 AM
GT4Faby
Track Day

You're right, I was thinking "cheap for a Porsche owner", but my cheap isn't everybodies cheap. Had myself a golf tee mod in mind, did do this myself a decade ago, on BMW when no switches were available yet.
I only wrote CHEAP in the title to get the headline some kind of provocative... Clickbait if you want to call it so.

Its not about the pricing point of the control boxes, but the installation requires the engine cover not to be fully closed. (to channel the cable trough)
And in my opinion thats quality wise a CHEAPER solution than removing the valve wires.

Source:
Old 09-30-2020, 07:58 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Originally Posted by GT4Faby
I only wrote CHEAP in the title to get the headline some kind of provocative... Clickbait if you want to call it so.

Its not about the pricing point of the control boxes, but the installation requires the engine cover not to be fully closed. (to channel the cable trough)
And in my opinion thats quality wise a CHEAPER solution than removing the valve wires.
No, it was no clickbait for me, interesting to see all possible mods.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

The Soul valve control module does not require the engine cover to be opened up. It is a different approach than the CG one. With Soul you need to source power from fusebox and tap on the vacuum system on top of transmission. That is the option I chose. Waiting for JCR exhaust to come in (any day now I hope!) to install the module as it is easier to do with exhaust removed. It is also cheaper than the CG one.
Soul Performance (01-05-2021)
Old 09-30-2020, 02:11 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 425 Posts

Do all of the exhaust valve control units (whether CG, Soul, Akrapovic, JCR) work with the standard exhaust or do some of them require their brand specific exhausts? I'm guessing it should work on OEM exhaust set up too but not sure.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,637 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Do all of the exhaust valve control units (whether CG, Soul, Akrapovic, JCR) work with the standard exhaust or do some of them require their brand specific exhausts? I'm guessing it should work on OEM exhaust set up too but not sure.
If it to control the vacuum operated valve it will be cross compatible...
Old 09-30-2020, 03:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@GT4Faby this is my plan as I want to be able to control it, not simply have it one way, in this case open all of the time.
TXRubicon (06-23-2022)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:55 PM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@GT4Faby this is my plan as I want to be able to control it, not simply have it one way, in this case open all of the time.
or wait for a ecu tune from Scott@Softronic
Old 09-30-2020, 06:41 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

I dont think nobody ever cracked the coding to modify the valve operation parameters in the ECU, but for sure this would be sweet!
Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For normal driving I have no problem with the stock operation, but when I choose a time for more exhaust noise an external controller allows this flexibility, even if an ECU can turn it on those openings would be mapped, that is not my desire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!