Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 02:38 PM
OakenGoby
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OakenGoby
Thank you, all. My Spyder is just under 700 miles now. The exhaust sound transition at 4k rpm is my only complaint so far. I ordered direct from McMaster the collars (part no. 9652T14).
Parts ordered yesterday and arrived today. Expensive for little pieces of stainless steel, but the expected results will be worth it. I will install them this weekend.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Oh yeah! There’s a greater start up roar at ignition. When prior to the collars, and OAP, I would turn the car on, and be like “thats it??!!”
Honestly I don’t have much to compare it to since I did this mod within the first 24hrs of ownership.

I’ll have to figure out a way to upload a video of cold start idle, post cold start idle, then a few love taps on the accelerator for yourself and others.

As far as I've experienced, the cold start roar should always be there because the car starts with flaps full open for about 20 seconds or so. Then it quiets down. Is yours not that way?
Old 02-24-2023, 02:59 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
As far as I've experienced, the cold start roar should always be there because the car starts with flaps full open for about 20 seconds or so. Then it quiets down. Is yours not that way?
Mine is not that way. I will check next time, but I'm fairly certain the valves are closed at start up. Maybe it is dependent on environmental conditions?
Old 02-24-2023, 05:19 PM
vtplm
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought the flaps were closed on cold start idle but it opens at idle rpms if you turn PSE on. Valves would then close when you be started driving regardless of PSE status then open up around 4k.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:29 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

With PSE off the flaps close as soon as the engine starts to pull a vacuum. They are only open for a fraction of a second on startup.
The cold start cycle is not the valves operating. That’s extra fuelling to get the CAT’s warmed up.
Toggle PSE on and off during a cold start and you’ll understand pretty quickly.

Last edited by Reedy; 02-24-2023 at 05:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Reedy:
Bearrun21 (02-24-2023), UncleDude (02-25-2023), yellolab (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:36 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtplm
I thought the flaps were closed on cold start idle but it opens at idle rpms if you turn PSE on. Valves would then close when you be started driving regardless of PSE status then open up around 4k.
The following users liked this post:
Shie (03-25-2024)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:19 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Its exactly as you stated, but I also have AKRA OAP, so its overall more pronounced.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:22 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I would suggest far less collar travel than where the video shows. Now more than a quarter inch.. closer to 3/16ths
Old 02-25-2023, 01:22 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I would suggest far less collar travel than where the video shows. Now more than a quarter inch.. closer to 3/16ths
Why would you suggest that? I adjusted them twice and thought it was perfect there (kind of the point no?). Plus the collars hit the nuts, but I”m just repeating myself now…and I have a Kline system now.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:17 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Why would you suggest that? I adjusted them twice and thought it was perfect there (kind of the point no?). Plus the collars hit the nuts, but I”m just repeating myself now…and I have a Kline system now.
I set mine up similarly to how yours look in the video, and with AKRA OAPs + Stock back box, I heard a good deal of raspiness (70% open). I moved them up to the nuts, with very little shaft travel (~7/32ths, 90% open)). The nuts are much higher up (less collar travel) than when aligning them with the bottom of the screw shaft. Your position gives the allusion of the flaps closing half way when not engaged in full open… I assume your system sounds clean, since you have the Kline setup (no rasp as partially closed) vs using the OEM back box. Is the nut configuration on the flap valves tighter (closer together) on the Kline valves, not allowing the collars to be seated up higher?
Old 02-27-2023, 09:39 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

My collars are out for delivery and am so happy that I found this thread. Let's hope it delivers the valve solution I've been looking for. Next step will be OAPs but no point in doing those until the valve situation is sorted.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Rasputin.
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
My collars are out for delivery and am so happy that I found this thread. Let's hope it delivers the valve solution I've been looking for. Next step will be OAPs but no point in doing those until the valve situation is sorted.
I feel the same as you. Going to stop by Ace today and see if they have collars. Otherwise, going to order them from the summit link the other RL'er posted here. I figure the SS is better since I live and drive in a salty climate.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:53 AM
alltimesaresoon
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rasputin.
I feel the same as you. Going to stop by Ace today and see if they have collars. Otherwise, going to order them from the summit link the other RL'er posted here. I figure the SS is better since I live and drive in a salty climate.
i've been very happy with this solution.

i want oaps but price has kept me away so far. my only worry with this solution was whether my so would complain that it's too loud below 4k range. no problems, she hasn't noticed. but i have!

I am now looking at the bmc f1 air filters as an intermediate step to the oaps. intake noise baby
Old 02-28-2023, 12:12 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

Put them on last night and it's the best $16 (because I had to buy 4) I've ever spent on a car mod!

The following 2 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
BoxKing (02-28-2023), rwm (03-02-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 01:04 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alltimesaresoon
i've been very happy with this solution.

i want oaps but price has kept me away so far. my only worry with this solution was whether my so would complain that it's too loud below 4k range. no problems, she hasn't noticed. but i have!

I am now looking at the bmc f1 air filters as an intermediate step to the oaps. intake noise baby

Keep your eyes on the classified section, there are usually 1-2 sets of OAP's going fro ~40% less than retail. SOUL/AKRA/Flat 6, and they sell quickly. This will be the second best bang for your buck option when it comes to the exhaust setup.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!