Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 01:17 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered the 16mm outer diameter collars with 6 mm bore, which I thought was correct, but they still contacted the nut. I played with it, but no matter how I rotated it, it still hit.

The picture below is the maximum closure when hitting the nut. It’s mostly closed, which may work fine.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:25 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,498 Likes on 2,253 Posts

I think you might be surprised the difference that amount of open makes.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:33 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I think you might be surprised the difference that amount of open makes.

Maybe so. I guess if it’s too loud, I can always try different collars or grind mine down a bit. Maybe the Summit collars stainless steel ones I ordered are just a bit bigger than 16 mm outer diameter.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:57 AM
Half Apple
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

In case this helps anyone considering or doing the collar mod...

Old 08-17-2023, 03:40 PM
jmlmr2
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I searched but haven't seen this particular brand mentioned previously. Ruland makes a 303 stainless set in the same listed dimensions as the McMaster Carr set folks have had success with, but the Ruland collars are a few bucks cheaper and they ship for free within the continental US: https://www.ruland.com/msp-6-ss.html

I just ordered a set of these to replace the rusty carbon steel collars I installed nearly a year ago. I want to get the carbon steel ones off before the fasteners get too rusty to easily remove.
The following users liked this post:
Southbama (10-06-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 12:50 AM
JKen_0115
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Highly recommend on this collar mod. Going to install Akra OAP in 2 weeks, can’t wait the combination with collar how it sounds!
981KMAN (08-19-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 12:17 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

If the Collars are hitting the nuts on the actuator mounting bolts, rotate the nuts until the Flats of the nuts are perpendicular to the actuator shaft. This will provide maximum clearance for the collar.

I'm really happy my Collar Mod Solution is being enjoyed by so many folks!

Edit: The YouTube video shown above by @Half Apple is nicely done, yet misses one of the main benefits of my Collar Mod - that is, the adjustable feature to allow the valves to be held open at various levels. So you can set the exhaust sound to your individual taste - Full Open to Full Closed and anywhere in between. The video demonstrates the Locked Full Open option, yet does not explain that other positions will provide other exhaust notes, and you can still have some exhaust note attenuation without the obvious "step" around 3700 RPM. If you are going to lock the valves full open all the time and live with the Drone, you might as well just plug the vacuum lines....... Kind of misses a cool feature of the Collar Mod - its adjustability.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 08-19-2023 at 09:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
Banana S (08-19-2023), JKen_0115 (08-20-2023), lowbee (08-19-2023), slilley (08-21-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Southbama
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I haven’t had time to try this yet, but you’re welcome to be the Guinea Pig 😝

Find a metric coupling nut to replace the canister nut, then add a large head bolt to the bottom of the nut and hopefully it will catch the arm of the rod mechanism and “stop” it.

In theory, it would be adjustable with the bolt’s locking nut…

I don’t know what the metric size is, hopefully there’s a coupling nut that will fit

Remove the canister nut and install the coupling nut to “catch” the upward swing of the arm and stop it.

Adjustable bolt and locking nut to control the amount of valve swing.

Does my explanation make sense?

Again, this is just an idea at this point, I don’t know if it will work or not.
Since the collar mod isn’t working for you, maybe you’ll want to play around with this idea.
I have elected to try this. I received the couplers today, bolts will arrive next week. The couplers are 5 mm stainless, 20 mm length. I ordered bolts that are 16 mm length. I have been using collars, but concerned about degradation and slippage.
slilley (09-09-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 01:57 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 222 Posts

And this doesn't have any other negative consequences because the open/close is all done by vaccum, versus a computer telling the actuator to go to the full closed position? So with full open, there's "no" vaccum, and with full close there's "full" vaccum? Thus when the car wants the valves to be closed, it's attempting to do full vaccum, all the time - so wether the valves are fully closed due to that full vaccum or the full vaccum request isn't capable of actually closing, it isn't really causing an issue?
Old 10-05-2023, 08:47 PM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-line-caps-pse
anyone try these?
(someone asked in this thread a while back but no one replied)

is this method of keeping the valves open really as easy to accomplish as they make it sound?
has anyone been using the plug the vaccum line method for a while now? any long term issues?

Old 10-06-2023, 07:54 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Just did this and the sound improvement is great, especially with OAP. I did just have my 1 year service done Tuesday, so perhaps it could be related to that, but did anyone catch a CEL after doing this mod? It does not seem like the collars should cause a CEL, and I didn't see it mentioned thus far in the discussion, but figured I'd ask!

Old 10-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

I suppose it is possible . . . but most likely true, true, and unrelated (to collar)

I do not think I am off base in stating owners on this forum have 10s of thousands of user miles with the mod and, as you state, this issue has yet to be reported

At any rate, should be a quick and easy process to verify . . . doubt you would even need an appointment to have local dealership that performed your recent service hook the vehicle up to PIWIS and diagnose what underlies the CEL.

Avera
Old 10-07-2023, 10:55 AM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by Avera
I suppose it is possible . . . but most likely true, true, and unrelated (to collar)

I do not think I am off base in stating owners on this forum have 10s of thousands of user miles with the mod and, as you state, this issue has yet to be reported

At any rate, should be a quick and easy process to verify . . . doubt you would even need an appointment to have local dealership that performed your recent service hook the vehicle up to PIWIS and diagnose what underlies the CEL.

Avera
Thanks! I'll swing over to the dealer sometime in the next day or two and have them take a look.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:15 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by rusmani
Just did this and the sound improvement is great, especially with OAP. I did just have my 1 year service done Tuesday, so perhaps it could be related to that, but did anyone catch a CEL after doing this mod? It does not seem like the collars should cause a CEL, and I didn't see it mentioned thus far in the discussion, but figured I'd ask!

Lots of folks have been running the Collar mod for a year plus with no issues.

I personally have been using it for just under 2 years with no issues. Yet I do not have the values on full open 100% of the time. My Collars are placed to let the valves move a little to keep the valves operating freely and not sticking in the future. See post # 183 for the position of the collars that I use.

slilley (10-09-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 11:18 AM
rusmani
Racer

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Lots of folks have been running the Collar mod for a year plus with no issues.

I personally have been using it for just under 2 years with no issues. Yet I do not have the values on full open 100% of the time. My Collars are placed to let the valves move a little to keep the valves operating freely and not sticking in the future. See post # 183 for the position of the collars that I use.

First and foremost, thanks for coming up with this low cost and innovative solution to Porsche's obnoxious valves! Would you recommend I lower the collars a bit based on the picture I have posted? I love the sound where it's at now, and I think I have placed the collars low enough to allow for some very subtle opening/closing. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Let's talk about cheap exhaust valve mod options!