Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieboats
My boxster 25 continues to grind 1 to 2 with under 400 miles. The factory service bulletin mentions the spyder and gt4 designed without the mass weight for sportier shifting. The Bxtstr 25 shares the short shifter from the spyder and the gt4. Champion Porsche in Fl. says this grind is normal. If you listen to the you tube video of of the sound posted above this is anything but normal
i can confirm mine has gone away after 3000 miles. I had it up to about 2500-3000 miles but now the shifter feels even better than new. Interestingly, it seems to have coincided (but not sure) with my first scheduled maintenance at 1 year for what it’s worth (andI did mention it to service at the time and they “tested” the car and found no issue).

Last edited by Sharm; 10-10-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:18 AM
stevieboats
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those of you that have experienced the 1-2 gear grind I advise you to document and elevate your concerns to Porsche corporate. The company has a long history of denying any responsibility for their design faults. The IMS issue is a good example. My 718 has experienced this problem on my first drive it now has less than 400 miles. It occurs whether hot or cold, low or high revs, slow or fast shifted. To assume it is a brake-in issue is foolish. The you tube video of this problem shows that this is not unique. Champion Porsche here in Florida says they cannot duplicate the issue when they test drove it. They suggested I contact Porsche who told me that unless they can duplicate that issue in the presence of a tech there is nothing they can do. Why not? I have sent that video to friends, racers and race mechanics. Whether it is syncros , shift cables, manufacturing burrs on the gear set, or something else. All who have seen and listened to that sound knows that this is not normal. This Boxster 25 was bought as a gift to myself and I sold my 993 to buy it. The last thing I needed was to be involved in trying to deal with an unresponsive company trying to resolve an issue to an item (MT) invented over a 100 years ago, Whether the resolution to this will be that the issue was fixed or resulted in my pursuit of a lemon law return or possibly even a class action suit when enough of us require new transmissions I am underwhelmed by Porsches response but not surprised.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:46 AM
TMQRS21
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just had another grind at 11k miles. It has become less frequent. But it is not gone. I have a clunky shift symptom too that Porsche have also been unable to replicate even though it happens most of the time. Taken it in 3 times now over the life of the car. Trying again at a different dealership next week.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM
ccp
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone done a tear down of the linkage mechanism? I feel that would yield some insights, maybe
Old 10-20-2022, 12:59 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 806 Posts

For those of you that have experienced the 1-2 gear grind I advise you to document and elevate your concerns to Porsche corporate. The company has a long history of denying any responsibility for their design faults. The IMS issue is a good example. My 718 has experienced this problem on my first drive it now has less than 400 miles. It occurs whether hot or cold, low or high revs, slow or fast shifted. To assume it is a brake-in issue is foolish. The you tube video of this problem shows that this is not unique. Champion Porsche here in Florida says they cannot duplicate the issue when they test drove it. They suggested I contact Porsche who told me that unless they can duplicate that issue in the presence of a tech there is nothing they can do. Why not? I have sent that video to friends, racers and race mechanics. Whether it is syncros , shift cables, manufacturing burrs on the gear set, or something else. All who have seen and listened to that sound knows that this is not normal. This Boxster 25 was bought as a gift to myself and I sold my 993 to buy it. The last thing I needed was to be involved in trying to deal with an unresponsive company trying to resolve an issue to an item (MT) invented over a 100 years ago, Whether the resolution to this will be that the issue was fixed or resulted in my pursuit of a lemon law return or possibly even a class action suit when enough of us require new transmissions I am underwhelmed by Porsches response but not surprised.
Mine has done it 4 times in 1200 miles. Feels more like a grind coming out of first than it does going into second. I think the video above is pretty representative of that. Strange.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:25 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

This grinding issue is what sealed going with PDK for me. I'd just hate driving the car and always think this may/may not happen when I shift. Instead I am living with the thought what if the PDK fails (most likely leaks) after the warranty is gone... but at least that is little further out \
The following users liked this post:
lilbza (02-13-2023)
Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Cannot you take a tech with you driving on a drive and show what is happening? That should be proof enough, with a tech in the car experiencing what your problem is in real time for themselves. Sounds like you are describing a chronic problem with the car.

Last edited by patdonahue; 10-20-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,452 Likes on 2,233 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
This grinding issue is what sealed going with PDK for me. I'd just hate driving the car and always think this may/may not happen when I shift. Instead I am living with the thought what if the PDK fails (most likely leaks) after the warranty is gone... but at least that is little further out \
I can’t think of a single member here who’s described an occasional grind ruining the driving experience, and their overall enjoyment of the car. If you chose a PDK for that reason, I suspect deep down you had other reasons!
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
RoadrunnerGTS (10-21-2022), Sharm (10-21-2022), SpyderSenseOC (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 02:17 AM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I can’t think of a single member here who’s described an occasional grind ruining the driving experience, and their overall enjoyment of the car. If you chose a PDK for that reason, I suspect deep down you had other reasons!
There other reasons (gearing, clutch travel, borderline weak clutch stock, linkage issues) - plus PDK is fun in its own way. But long term reliability of PDK is a concern.

There is always that proverbial deal breaker and the grinding issue was it for me. I dealt with a transmission on another car that had "temperamental" syncro (and more like damaged/worn) and hated the random grind it exhibited. At least it was repairable.

Otherwise I could have ended up with a manual...
Old 10-21-2022, 05:16 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
There other reasons (gearing, clutch travel, borderline weak clutch stock, linkage issues) - plus PDK is fun in its own way. But long term reliability of PDK is a concern.

There is always that proverbial deal breaker and the grinding issue was it for me. I dealt with a transmission on another car that had "temperamental" syncro (and more like damaged/worn) and hated the random grind it exhibited. At least it was repairable.

Otherwise I could have ended up with a manual...
Old 10-21-2022, 07:50 AM
stevieboats
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not order my car with PDK this is a manual transmission.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:58 PM
JPalau
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This gear shift has 2 steps.
1) from the previous gear to the middle point.
2) from the middle point to the next gear.
When shifting try 1) without pressing the clutch.
Then just before 2) press the clutch and change to the next gear.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:53 PM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JPalau
This gear shift has 2 steps.
1) from the previous gear to the middle point.
2) from the middle point to the next gear.
When shifting try 1) without pressing the clutch.
Then just before 2) press the clutch and change to the next gear.
Maybe. But I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost 50 years, and I've never had gears grind, including my 987 spyder and 2 other 987s, and I'm not going to change my technique for this car. It ain't the driver's fault. I've only had it happen 4-5 times in 3k miles, but I'm disappointed at best.
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 09:13 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana R
Maybe. But I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost 50 years, and I've never had gears grind, including my 987 spyder and 2 other 987s, and I'm not going to change my technique for this car. It ain't the driver's fault. I've only had it happen 4-5 times in 3k miles, but I'm disappointed at best.
Don't waste your time, it's not your fault. Almost all the 718 GT4 & Spyder suffered from this, after x miles it dissapear, mine was at 1500 miles.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:22 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Had a new version of the grind tonight… autoblip was on, traveling casually at about 65 on the highway in 6th. Traffic in front of me slowed down and I went to downshift from 6th to 4th. With the clutch fully pressed, got a big grind as I pulled into 4th. I can’t tell for certain but 6th feels more “notchy” now. The dealer has done absolutely nothing about this because they can’t reproduce it due to the infrequent nature of the problem. I stopped all hard pulls from 1st->2nd and still on casual shifts will find a grind. This might be my final straw with the car but can’t decide what I would buy instead since there is not much available.

Quick Reply: Gear 1-2 grind