Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Gear 1-2 grind

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have been exercising caution with the 1-2 shift, slower shifting more deliberate as not to rush the syncro, and therefore no grind... when it did grind it was a fast/rushed shift nearer 5K RPM that resulted in a grind.

Add to this that the 1-2 shift is generally the one you tend to do the quickest because it is at the beginning of any accelerating maneuver and it's going to happen a little more often, double clutching here kind of takes the momentum out of the run!

Strange that some have reported that a change in trans fluid seems to have helped the situation...
Originally Posted by AlexCeres
double clutch only really helps 2->1. it’s great for making 1st a real driving gear

The grind happens trying to get out of 1 before neutral on the way to 2. Double clutch won’t help that. Need to lift off the accelerator more.
I miss-read your post, I thought you said to double clutch on the way up too. Lift then shift... next time I am out!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:32 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I miss-read your post, I thought you said to double clutch on the way up too. Lift then shift... next time I am out!
yeah. Racing buddy suspects its a clutch delay valve. BMW and Corvettes have had them for years.

it can also be more than one thing, given some people have had the transmission replaced and others haven't had trouble after the break in period.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:37 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

double clutch only really helps 2->1. it’s great for making 1st a real driving gear

The grind happens trying to get out of 1 before neutral on the way to 2. Double clutch won’t help that. Need to lift off the accelerator more.
Auto blip helps the down shift from 2nd to 1st. Until I master the rev myself I'll use auto blip for this. Easier on the car as well.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911F1
Auto blip helps the down shift from 2nd to 1st. Until I master the rev myself I'll use auto blip for this. Easier on the car as well.
I find even with auto blip 2->1 **** blocks me at the gate. To make 1st a real driving gear, which you absolutely should since it goes to like 40mph, you have to double clutch on the downshift. Your downshifts to first will be a lot faster, ironically. None of the other gears need that level of attention with auto blip enabled.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:53 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

The auto blip 3->2 for the perfect heel toe every time is just silly good. Lazy, yup, I know.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 685 Posts

I’ve never even thought about auto blip. I forgot the car had it and haven’t tried it. It’s so easy to rev match on this car that it’s superfluous. 1200 miles and no grind. Hopefully that will continue. Fingers crossed. BTW, I drove a friend’s 981 Spyder and the gears did grind on the 1-2 shift. I thought wtf, did I do that?! I felt so bad. I’ve been driving manual cars exclusively for 45 years! So perhaps this issue has been with the Spyder since the 981. If sos, that’s not reassuring.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:57 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

1st gear for the tight switch backs works really well. Glad I started using it. 2nd is just a tad too tall for some of those.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:53 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
..............I drove a friend’s 981 Spyder and the gears did grind on the 1-2 shift. I thought wtf, did I do that?! I felt so bad. I’ve been driving manual cars exclusively for 45 years! So perhaps this issue has been with the Spyder since the 981. If sos, that’s not reassuring.
I've never had any issue with the shifter. The car has about 15k miles; 0 issue from day one. Don't remember anyone even mentioning any grinding at all. This seems to be specific to 982 gen.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
I need to read this thread in it's entirety when I have time later today.
I had the 1-2 grind today...twice, and I know my clutch pedal was depressed. 250 miles. Have not heard it before. When I heard it, I made a special attempt to push the clutch down firmly, and shift slowly. Will read to see if any of you have resolved this.
Gt4 June build.
this was on upshift.
no auto blip enabled
same here. I had my first 500 kms driving like a little old lady and hadn’t heard it. I drove it a little harder today for the first time and sure enough the grind cometh. And I always put the clutch to the floorboard so I know it wasn’t on account of me taking liberties with pedal travel.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
same here. I had my first 500 kms driving like a little old lady and hadn’t heard it. I drove it a little harder today for the first time and sure enough the grind cometh. And I always put the clutch to the floorboard so I know it wasn’t on account of me taking liberties with pedal travel.
Sad to say, but add me as a +1 to this issue.

Drove the car extremely conservative for the first 1500km, but I’ve been pushing it a bit more since then and get the 1 to 2 grind regularly. I just went for a drive to pick up some tire cleaner and it happened THREE times in one trip.

For me the factors that cause it are a fast 1 to 2 shift above 4k RPM.

What’s really weird is that when I tried it out now with the clutch fully depressed the entire time (pull back from 1 to 2 without releasing the clutch at all) and it still made the grinding noise!?!?!?!?

I always drive with Auto-blip turned on because I’m lazy. Car has ~1750km

I’m going to email the dealership for a service appointment and see what they say.

Last edited by Rxpert; 10-12-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert

Drove the car extremely conservative for the first 1500km, but I’ve been pushing it a bit more since then and get the 1 to 2 grind regularly. I just went for a drive to pick up some tire cleaner and it happened THREE times in one trip.

What’s really weird is that when I tried it out now with the clutch fully depressed the entire time (pull back from 1 to 2 without releasing the clutch at all) and it still made the grinding noise!?!?!?!?

I’m going to email the dealership for a service appointment and see what they say.
This is getting ridiculous. Come on, Porsche!

Old 10-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Sorry a bit off topic but before I start a thread maybe someone can chime in or direct me to a thread where this is already discussed...

I have about 600kms on the car now and although I usually do my own rev matching I have had auto blip on for all my driving so far.

Periodically when downshifting a real screech seems to come out of what sounds like the driver’s side intake area; maybe doing this on the passenger side intake as well but I am in the driver’s seat so I am not sure. Ironically it sounds a bit like when gears grind... that’s why this is not completely off topic . Sometimes there is no sound, sometimes it is mild, and sometimes it is really aggressive. It is not a good sound.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts

Racing buddy suspects its a clutch delay valve. BMW and Corvettes have had them for years.
VW has been using these as of late. My wife's Golf R has one, I removed it and the clutch is SO much better afterwards (lifespan is probably less but oh well). Wonder if we have a similar delay valve in the GT4.

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert

Regarding the bolded, this is exactly when it grinds for me...
Old 10-13-2020, 08:17 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 105 Posts

Guys - everyone who has this issue needs to take the car to the dealer for diagnosis. Even if they don’t find the problem porsche then will have every owner with every instance documented. That way they will know it’s a problem that needs addressing.

Don’t throw money at the issue trying to mitigate it. A sports car like this should not grind from first to second with the clutch in end of story.

2016 GT4s had problems losing third gear. Porsche eventually got wise and started repairing / replacing transmissions preemptively.

It wouldn’t be too far fetched to have another issue if it’s the same transmission / manufacturer. (even if it’s not)

Quick Reply: Gear 1-2 grind