Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Low priority options - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Low priority options - opinions wanted

3 options I'm struggling with. I would like to free up some budget for some my personal "wants" such as a leather steering column w/ dev. stitch for example.
  • Dual zone AC - the 981 I drove didn't have it and I didn't notice an issue. I would like to ensure that there's a cabin filter tho.
  • Electric folding mirrors - nice but as long as they fold manually that's ok.
  • auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor - i'm assuming the rearview mirror flips to dim manually. Wont be driving it in the rain all that often.

Thoughts??

P.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Autodim is nice if you drive at night because the side mirrors autodim in addition to the center one. It is annoying though, and maybe they have changed it, but I think not, the outside quarter inch of the mirrors does not dim so you get this weird circle effect when there is a car behind you.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:14 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Dual Zone is a must have for me, set and forget rather than messing around to do it manually.
I also went for the dimming mirrors, although mainly for the rain sensor. Mine gets driven in all weather and it works pretty well. The dimming mirrors are useful, but the rear wing on the GT4 does a good job of blocking out the lights from the rear mirror.
I didn't do folding mirrors as I didn't have it on the last car and it was never a problem.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM
RavinS4
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I am in the same boat on those three options. Thinking of going dual zone since I like to set it and forget it and going with the folding mirrors as the garage I park in can get pretty narrow.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 51 Posts

Of those three options I would probably part with electric folding mirrors first, dual zone AC second, and auto dimming/rain sensor last. The latter is the only one I would ache a little to be without, but if budget was a concern I could lose all three pretty easily.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:22 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Auto-dim / Rain-sensing are things I'd just want to come standard (which now do on base model 718s). They're not "make-it/break-it" options for me, but any new car in 2020 should have these at this point and they're nice to have. It would be a mild irritation to me to know that my $120k sports car didn't have auto-dimming mirrors.

Dual-zone is a must just for the climate control portion. 99.9% of the time I have both sides synced and it functions as "single-zone". But being able to set a temperature per season and forget it is worth the option alone. I hate constantly fiddling with fan speed and "cold/hot" adjustments.

Folding mirrors - my current car has them only because I wasn't the one that specced it out. They're nice if you are constantly pulling into tight spots, but I would not have specced them... I simply never use them.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm probably one of the few that didn't option auto climate control; I never turn on A/C unless I'm stuck in traffic and am sweating through my shirt, usually just roll down the window to get a draft if it's getting warm. Without A/C on, I dislike auto-climate because it just increases the fan speed and I find I just start turning up the temperature to lower the fan speed. I will likely set up my fan speed and never touch it again and probably set my temp at cold unless it's the fall where I might bump it up to a neutral setting.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 03:14 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Dual-zone - Humidity sucks in DC so climate control is always on for me. It's also why I'd never buy a convertible/spyder if I continue to live around here. Didn't have this on my 981GTS and having to toggle the fan speed was annoying, as if there aren't enough buttons to push on this car on the center console. Added it on my 981GT4 and was amazed I lived w/o it so it will continue to be on my 718GT4

Auto-Dim - Stuck on this too, rain sensor is useless to me since I prefer to adjust manually. Rearview mirror still flips manually to dim, but the sideview mirrors will still blind you from 99% of the cars on the road. It's shocking how tall even a modern Honda Accord can be in this context. My car is likely a winter delivery where daylight is short so I might check this box in the end after all.

Folding Mirror - They flip up manually and honestly it doesn't save you much space. Would never park this in dangerously tight spaces anyway so not worth the money to me. Two less electric motors to break on you.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

No way I would trade 1 and 3 for a leather steering column. Folding mirrors are a waste IMO unless you have space constraints in the garage.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 864 Posts

Option 1 is a must because wifey is always cold so I wouldn't give this up for leather steering column.
Option 2 isn't critical unless say your parking garage is tight or you frequently park at places where space is tight. Even if these aren't the case, it's still nice to park your car and electrically fold your mirrors so you don't need to walk around your car to fold both mirrors. I would take this option over leather steering column but if you needed to drop this to get deviated stitching, I would do that because I think deviated stitching adds so much pizzaz to the car without it being overly loud.
Option 3 is a mix because with the Spyder and the ultra high performance tires, I don't plan to drive in the wet or downpour so rain sensing wipers are pretty much worthless to me. Auto dimming mirrors are very useful so I wouldn't trade this for leather steering column but if it was between this and deviated stitching, that would be a tough choice.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

My Spyder has single HVAC unit. and my 7.2 RS has Dual. I am not sure it matters. I cannot tell the difference. The Spyder cabin is so small that dual climate is kind of not really dual climate. For an SUV or minivan it may make a difference. With all my convertibles, I use the A/C even when the top is down if it is hot outside and I use the heater when it is cold outside. With the top up it doesn't matter because the cabin is so small that the temperature equalizes anyway.
I also do not have power folding mirrors.
I do have auto-dimming mirrors because the car sits so low that the headlamps from the car or truck behind me is blinding.
I saved on every thing I could so I could get PCCB and sport LBW seats. I just love the way it was built and do not mind the lack of leather on surfaces that I am not going to touch. I did opt for leather steering and gear. I think those are a must.
So if I were you, I would save on the everything that you don't really care about so you can get the things you care about.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Autodim is nice if you drive at night because the side mirrors autodim in addition to the center one. It is annoying though, and maybe they have changed it, but I think not, the outside quarter inch of the mirrors does not dim so you get this weird circle effect when there is a car behind you.
I agree about the issue with the side mirrors, personally I think that auto-dimming is a *MUST* if you plan to drive at night ... all it takes is one Yukon XL tailing your *** to totally blind you ... I would not spec a car w/o it
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puggz
3 options I'm struggling with. I would like to free up some budget for some my personal "wants" such as a leather steering column w/ dev. stitch for example.
  • Dual zone AC - the 981 I drove didn't have it and I didn't notice an issue. I would like to ensure that there's a cabin filter tho.
  • Electric folding mirrors - nice but as long as they fold manually that's ok.
  • auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor - i'm assuming the rearview mirror flips to dim manually. Wont be driving it in the rain all that often.

Thoughts??

P.
pass on that sh*t - you wont notice its there or not - just my $0.02 2 zone and auto-dim are a must!
Old 07-09-2020, 05:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raghu
My Spyder has single HVAC unit. and my 7.2 RS has Dual. I am not sure it matters. I cannot tell the difference. The Spyder cabin is so small that dual climate is kind of not really dual climate. For an SUV or minivan it may make a difference. With all my convertibles, I use the A/C even when the top is down if it is hot outside and I use the heater when it is cold outside. With the top up it doesn't matter because the cabin is so small that the temperature equalizes anyway.
I also do not have power folding mirrors.
I do have auto-dimming mirrors because the car sits so low that the headlamps from the car or truck behind me is blinding.
I saved on every thing I could so I could get PCCB and sport LBW seats. I just love the way it was built and do not mind the lack of leather on surfaces that I am not going to touch. I did opt for leather steering and gear. I think those are a must.
So if I were you, I would save on the everything that you don't really care about so you can get the things you care about.
well said!
Old 07-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

I had almost the exact same debate. As for dual zone, that's to keep my wife happy. She is always cold. At least this gives her some control (or the illusion of control). For the auto-dim, I just have gotten too used to it in all my other cars. The rain sensing wasn't a concern either way as this car won't see much rain. For the auto fold, I spoke with my SA who is the Sales Manager and has been doing this a long time. He says he very rarely options this for sports cars and no one seems to complain. Makes sense to me. I use it all the time on my truck, but almost never on my BMW.

As for the steering column leather, I checked that box. Someone somewhere on RL said staring at the plastic in front of you every day while surrounded by leather, Alcantara and carbon fiber is very noticeable. Once I read that, I totally got it. And I even started noticing it in my full lether BMW. So I checked the box for steering column casing.

Quick Reply: Low priority options - opinions wanted