Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Low priority options - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
With all due respect Dr. Bill, we are talking about the deviated light stitching on a black column reflecting. It is Janko’s spyder with lots of silver stitching and extended alcantara. I definitely saw it reflecting onto the gauges.

I haven't driven it a lot yet but so far I wasn't distracted by light colored stitching on the steering column in my Spyder...

It is interesting because it was the only option I went back to add at the last minute and I did it specifically to add that bright contrasting color!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
1)
3) Dimming mirrors - never needed them with the rear wing blocking headlights at night. If your side mirrors are adjusted properly (instead of showing the side of the car) you won't need them. Not ordered on new one.
My thought exactly. I always keep my side mirrors out so I can see my blind spot. I know where my car is

The following users liked this post:
bradStyle (07-10-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

I believe it has been mentioned here and elsewhere but don’t believe it has been produced by anyone... does anyone have a photo of single zone climate they can share?
Gatch (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:19 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

My two cents from ordering a very carefully spec'd 981 GT4:

The one option I got and regretted was the leather steering cover--useless.

The one option I didn't get and wished I had: Auto-dimming mirrors (I could care less about the rain sensors and prefer not to have them and control it myself). Of course, auto-dimming mirrors are standard on $18,000 cars; just not on $120,000 Porsches.

The one option I got and am still thrilled to this day: Painted vent slats. I passed on deviated stitching and did the vent slats instead and it makes the already-special car that much more special.

I got dual-zone climate and am take-it-or-leave-it on it.

Another thing I wouldn't miss: Alcantera sun visors. Otherwise, it's plastic.

If I buy a 718 GT4, it'll be PDK and PCCBs and not much else (except LWBS, of course), as it will be track-focused. (I know, I know about the brakes, but it's the one real performance option available and I am not hard on brakes on the track.)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You can set the wipers to not be on auto sensing (I think, I have only been in the rain once).
Old 07-13-2020, 01:52 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 845 Likes on 442 Posts

if pushed I can live without all 3, but would add 3 then 1, no need for 2 for my case
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
This for sure. The plastic doesn’t look great and is even more noticeable on the convertible. I’ll be pulling the stupid warning stickers off as well.
Gatch (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster17
This for sure. The plastic doesn’t look great and is even more noticeable on the convertible. I’ll be pulling the stupid warning stickers off as well.
Agree with the alcantara sun visors; it was an option I checked off once I confirmed that everything from the a-pillar up is alcantara in the car with the exception of the rear view mirror assembly and these visors.

I'll have to confirm once I pick up my car hopefully later this week, but I don't believe they're easy to peel stickers like on other cars; I'm not sure they're removable TBH. If you wanted them without the airbag warning on it, I think you have to order them through parts and get the European version. I could be wrong though.
Gatch (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

None of those 3 options are particularly desirable to me. However, can anyone confirm that the dimming mirrors are the only way to have power at the rear view mirror allowing for clean radar detector installation?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:42 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Illusive991
Agree with the alcantara sun visors; it was an option I checked off once I confirmed that everything from the a-pillar up is alcantara in the car with the exception of the rear view mirror assembly and these visors.

I'll have to confirm once I pick up my car hopefully later this week, but I don't believe they're easy to peel stickers like on other cars; I'm not sure they're removable TBH. If you wanted them without the airbag warning on it, I think you have to order them through parts and get the European version. I could be wrong though.
Internet/RL search is your friend here. There's a way to remove the yellow warnings using isopropyl alcohol--I bought the stuff to do it to mine and never got around to it. But it's definitely possible.

BTW, if you don't want Alcantara visors, get leather. Just don't leave them plastic, which should be an embarrassment for Porsche, but little ever seems to be.
Gatch (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Great feedback here. I didn’t even consider the visors until you guys mentioned the plastic looks cheap.

The one option I got and regretted was the leather steering cover--useless.
By this do you mean the steering column casing in leather option? Because I currently have that ticked. Looks nice in the configurator and I figured it would be more visible in the Spyder. But I’d rather hear it firsthand from a member here.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatch
Great feedback here. I didn’t even consider the visors until you guys mentioned the plastic looks cheap.

By this do you mean the steering column casing in leather option? Because I currently have that ticked. Looks nice in the configurator and I figured it would be more visible in the Spyder. But I’d rather hear it firsthand from a member here.
Soooooo happy that I checked that box, the deviated stitching on the steering column is definitely visible, especially on the Spyder because of all of the light when the top is open! Option XNS is what you want here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Gatch (07-13-2020), TYPE911 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:03 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Yes. Mine has deviated stitching, too, but I don't believe you'd miss it if it were not there. It's the only option I checked for which I see no purpose and wouldn't do it again. (I did it initially because a lot of people on RL said it was important. Just goes to show why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors and Porsche lets you spec them all!)
Gatch (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Soooooo happy that I checked that box, the deviated stitching on the steering column is definitely visible, especially on the Spyder because of all of the light when the top is open! Option XNS is what you want here.

Is that your picture? Or from a GT4? Because that steering wheel looks leather but with deviated stitching inside the wheel, which looks great with the steering column stitching. I’m wondering whether the Race-Tex wheel with stitching on the Spyder would conflict with the leather on the steering column.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is that your picture? Or from a GT4? Because that steering wheel looks leather but with deviated stitching inside the wheel, which looks great with the steering column stitching. I’m wondering whether the Race-Tex wheel with stitching on the Spyder would conflict with the leather on the steering column.
No, sorry I should have been clear on the picture, not my car but from Ed's Guard website who does such work. Below is a picture of my car, of course an Alcantara Wheel including the same deviated stitching.

Quick Reply: Low priority options - opinions wanted