Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Low priority options - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Re dual zone climate control, one of my pet peeves is the lack of an "off" switch. Considering the upcharge, that would be a basic expectation.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
Re dual zone climate control, one of my pet peeves is the lack of an "off" switch. Considering the upcharge, that would be a basic expectation.
Could not agree more. And the more annoying one, is that it doesn't "stay off" through a shutdown. If you use the fan speed to move it "off" and turn off the car, the next time you turn on it will be at the lowest fan speed but on again.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatch
On the Spyder is it like a cheap plastic or just a plain cloth-like material? Which visor material do you think would look better? Race-Tex or Leather? (Remind me of which one you have...)
I was just in my car an hour ago you would think I would remember, maybe it is not all that visible. I will have to look to see what is on the A-pillar, likely cheap plastic! I do know I have the basic sun-visor, not Race-Tex or leather, as for what looks better, I might not be the best guy to ask, the prices for either of those options kept me at the stock visor material, having said that I would likely go with leather, the fabric may get dirty too easily because of its location.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:49 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Seeing a 718 Spyder at Amelia Island with Alcantara visors solidified my choice for that material over leather.

WC brings up a interesting point on it possibly getting dirty quicker. I hope that doesn’t turn out to be the case.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
On the GT4 it is Alcantara which is fabric... the (my) Spyder does not have this on the A pillar.
When I said fabric, I meant the cloth like material.
To clarify my question, what is on the inside A pillar trim and windshield header of the Spyder?
Hard plastic
Soft touch plastic
Cloth fabric
Alcantara ie faux suede

To my eyes from online pics, it does not look like Alcantara. So I don't see a huge need to match it for me as I like both visors in the down position when I drive.

I found Porsche has been doing some cost cutting lately.

Alcantara roof liner was standard on my 991.1 C2S. Now it is optional in 992 C2S. The black switch gear in the 992 and new cayenne looks modern at first glance, but the polished surface actually to my eyes look and feel cheap.

Thank God the 718 still has the old style matte black with silver trim.
Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Could not agree more. And the more annoying one, is that it doesn't "stay off" through a shutdown. If you use the fan speed to move it "off" and turn off the car, the next time you turn on it will be at the lowest fan speed but on again.
It is like that in the 991 also. They fixed that in the Macan. I guess it is still an issue with 718.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
  • Dual zone AC - the 981 I drove didn't have it and I didn't notice an issue. I would like to ensure that there's a cabin filter tho.

This is a little late but I’ll add it to help others in the future. Regarding whether or not there’s a filter in the system without optioning dual-zone, there is! This is from the list of standard equipment under “Climate Control”...

”Air-conditioning system with integrated active carbon filter”
Old 07-21-2020, 06:16 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Didn’t want to start a new thread (even after doing some searching), so I figure this is the place to ask....

Can someone give their experience with the multifunction steering wheel? I prefer the plain wheel but the added functionality without your fingers leaving the wheel is intriguing as is the addition of whee heating. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Didn’t want to start a new thread (even after doing some searching), so I figure this is the place to ask....

Can someone give their experience with the multifunction steering wheel? I prefer the plain wheel but the added functionality without your fingers leaving the wheel is intriguing as is the addition of whee heating. Thanks!
I like it in my Macan; it's nice to have the instrument screen control on the wheel instead of the extra arm on the steering column. Assume it's the same: it controls volume, phone (answering and hang up) and the instrument screen between both sides of the wheel. Also get the multi-function diamond button which I was able to program on my Macan to toggle the PSE on/off.
The following users liked this post:
Gatch (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Illusive991
I like it in my Macan; it's nice to have the instrument screen control on the wheel instead of the extra arm on the steering column. Assume it's the same: it controls volume, phone (answering and hang up) and the instrument screen between both sides of the wheel. Also get the multi-function diamond button which I was able to program on my Macan to toggle the PSE on/off.
This is the exact response I was hoping for, I appreciate the detail!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

I had the stalk in the 991 and multifunction wheel in the macan.

I found the roller wheel on either side of the wheel a bit finicky sometimes because you can press on that roller to select. The car won’t be driven in cold enough weather for me to need the heated function.

There will never be mis-selection when I use the stalk, so I did not spec the upgraded wheel. There is a cruise control stalk on the other side anyways. I also prefer the cleaner design of the standard wheel.

YMMV.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dyim:
Gatch (07-21-2020), RennenStimpy (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 07:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

We have had the same style multi-function wheel in our Macan since 2016, it is great, having the controls right in hand makes selections easier and the ability to program the triangle button is handy too. I was going to retrofit this style of wheel to my 2016 GTS because I like it so much, but then got word that the Spyder was going to make a return to the line-up so I held off...

Well here we are in 2020 and I ordered my Spyder with that MF wheel, very happy I did, this is a drivers car and as the driver I like to make changes to settings in the car, having them close at hand is a bonus to me. TBH the plain wheel is just that 'plain', the buttons on the MF are all inboard of the wheel rim and are never in the way, and as for heat, always nice to have the heat on a cool spring or fall morning when the top is down!
Gatch (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Gatch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dyim
I had the stalk in the 991 and multifunction wheel in the macan.

I found the roller wheel on either side of the wheel a bit finicky sometimes because you can press on that roller to select. The car won’t be driven in cold enough weather for me to need the heated function.

There will never be mis-selection when I use the stalk, so I did not spec the upgraded wheel. There is a cruise control stalk on the other side anyways. I also prefer the cleaner design of the standard wheel.

YMMV.
We have had the same style multi-function wheel in our Macan since 2016, it is great, having the controls right in hand makes selections easier and the ability to program the triangle button is handy too. I was going to retrofit this style of wheel to my 2016 GTS because I like it so much, but then got word that the Spyder was going to make a return to the line-up so I held off...

Well here we are in 2020 and I ordered my Spyder with that MF wheel, very happy I did, this is a drivers car and as the driver I like to make changes to settings in the car, having them close at hand is a bonus to me. TBH the plain wheel is just that 'plain', the buttons on the MF are all inboard of the wheel rim and are never in the way, and as for heat, always nice to have the heat on a cool spring or fall morning when the top is down!
This is my conundrum...I actually prefer the “cleaner” standard steering wheel but would enjoy the heated rim on cooler spring and fall mornings in the Northeast. So you’re both right, cheers!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I strongly prefer the cleaner design of the standard wheel over the heat and functions. The GTS wheel has the additional sport mode switch on the standard wheel which the Spyder doesn't.
Gatch (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:47 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I strongly prefer the cleaner design of the standard wheel over the heat and functions. The GTS wheel has the additional sport mode switch on the standard wheel which the Spyder doesn't.
That's because the car is awesome and is always in Sport mode. We don't need to stinkin' sport mode button....
Old 09-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Soooooo happy that I checked that box, the deviated stitching on the steering column is definitely visible, especially on the Spyder because of all of the light when the top is open! Option XNS is what you want here.

Looks great! But, I have heard various opinions if the stitching reflects off the gauges a lot, especially on Spyders. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Low priority options - opinions wanted