Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Low priority options - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
Looks great! But, I have heard various opinions if the stitching reflects off the gauges a lot, especially on Spyders. Thoughts?
Reflections are everywhere, and yes they can be seen in certain light and at certain angles, but like many things, unless you are looking for them, I don't think they are a significant distraction, and certainly not a reason to forgo the deviated stitching.

I compare the refection's to the process of Concours, is you are not a judge and looking for defects you will not likely see or be bothered terribly by them, if however, you key on such things then you may be annoyed slightly. For me the overall effect of the colour contrast against the black is more than worth any reflection that you come across.
The following users liked this post:
Ken in San Diego (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 12:38 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

I had 1 & 3 on my 981... I have none now... the only one I really do miss is the auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Old 09-21-2022, 02:23 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Looks great! But, I have heard various opinions if the stitching reflects off the gauges a lot, especially on Spyders. Thoughts?
It bothers some but not others. Just like extended leather dash with stitching and SC clock.

Definitely YMMV.

The following users liked this post:
Clark_Kent (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 04:10 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the above photo. I didn't realize the reflection could be that noticeable.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

I have never seen the reflection myself. I think it requires a perfect storm of angles and lighting to actually see that. I also have red stitching for what it's worth so maybe it's only really a thing with light stitching.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:05 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I have never seen the reflection myself. I think it requires a perfect storm of angles and lighting to actually see that. I also have red stitching for what it's worth so maybe it's only really a thing with light stitching.
Fair point.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Thanks for the above photo. I didn't realize the reflection could be that noticeable.

If you really look at that photo, the stitching is the least obvious of the numerous reflections.

Lots of things will reflect against the gage cluster plastic. The back of the steering wheel, PDK paddles, your shirt, painted roll hoops, direct sunlight and shadows, etc.

None of it is noticeable, unless you’re parked and taking pictures like above.

I’m in the camp of “I never notice the stitching or any other reflections”. Under speed the tach is a periphery glance, nothing reflected is noticeable as the needle swings to 8K.

Similar comments to the extended dash. Under certain conditions it’s visible…under the wiper arms. The stitching around the center speaker can be more visible, but it’s not in your normal sight line. The clock rim is the most visible, again outside of your normal sight lines.

If you like the extended deviated leather, get it — you won’t notice any of this.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:07 PM
Don Fitzpatrick
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 37 Posts

White/Silver Deviated stitching column here, does not reflect off the gauges far as I can tell!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:07 AM
Boxtop
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatch
This is my conundrum...I actually prefer the “cleaner” standard steering wheel but would enjoy the heated rim on cooler spring and fall mornings in the Northeast. So you’re both right, cheers!
This was also my conundrum when configuring my car. The 718 is so awesome in every configuration, there really is no right or wrong answer…however, we still have to make and live with all of these little choices eventually so it’s fun to discuss pros and cons.

Ultimately, I rationalized the cleaner wheel based on the following:
  • I wanted to have an analog feel so opted against some of the more overtly ‘modern’ features where I could.
  • It looks better.
  • It is less expensive.
  • I read many complaints about accidentally turning the heat on.
  • My 987 did not have a heated steering wheel but it never bothered me because I could aim the heater vents directly at my hands.
  • I did not like the extra screws along the outside of the spokes as they could make it less comfortable for my hand to rest at the bottom center of the wheel on long drives.

Would I still like to have a heated wheel? Probably…but the number of times I consciously think about that are far fewer than the number of times I sit and admire its classic beauty. I also paid over $3k for extended deviated stitching so I apparently have a tendency to choose form over function… and I had to cut costs somewhere!

Last edited by Boxtop; 09-22-2022 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Low priority options - opinions wanted