Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Low priority options - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

So I actually like option 3 for the lights at night that the mirrors shoot downwards.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:08 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

My old 987 had the standard single zone manual climate control, and it never bothered me one bit. When I wanted AC, I turned on AC. I did spec dual zone automatic climate control on my 718 Spyder, but it's minor and doesn't make a big difference to quality of life.

Electric folding mirrors - nice if you frequently park on the street or in crowded lots where you fear people will bump into your car. Otherwise skip it, it adds weight and complexity unnecessarily. I skipped it.

Auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor - I had the manual dimming mirror on my 987, and again never missed having auto dim. Rain sensors are kinda handy, but I feel they never get the wiping rhythm quite right, so I often end up fiddling with wiper speeds anyway. On the negative side, this option makes windshield replacement a bit more complicated and expensive. Also, electrochromic mirrors tend to degrade with age, and often turn brown or leak fluid when they're 20+ years old. Also, the dimming mirrors are 5x more expensive than the non-dimming. I chose to skip this too, since it avoids mirrors going brown when the age, makes mirror replacement much cheaper if they do get damaged, and makes windshield replacement simpler/cheaper too if it gets damaged. Skipping this also saves a tiny amount of weight too, not that I care.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

Be careful about the stitching on the steering column casing with leather. I was going to order it but it was mentioned here the stitching can reflect quite annoyingly onto the dash gauges.

I saw video of it (I think Janko?) and it is definitely noticeable. So I took it off.

I have folding mirrors and never use it. Potential good thing about it is the lights underneath that you can turn on when you unlock the car, at least in the 991. I assume will be the same in 718.

I picked 2 zone because I found the standard controls looks a bit ‘cheap’ to my eyes.

Dimming for night driving for me. Don’t care for wiper function.

YMMV.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

1) Auto AC - after 5 yrs with the manual AC I've come to appreciate the finer points of set and forget. So my new one will have the auto.
2) Folding mirrors - I got sick and tired of scraping in the trailer every time I needed to go front to back and vise-versa. So my new one will have those.
3) Dimming mirrors - never needed them with the rear wing blocking headlights at night. If your side mirrors are adjusted properly (instead of showing the side of the car) you won't need them. Not ordered on new one.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Less can be more in a GT4.

Dual Zone AC - my least favorite feature on the Cayenne - I like to adjust the AC controls from one place, not two. And, yes, I know auto could do it for me, but I am one to set it where I want it, twice in the case of the dual zone. Arggg! No Bueno for me.

Electric folding mirrors - you will save nearly a 1/2 pound if you ommit this option - ha ha, have no idea, but they do pull in manually, so where ever I can save weight, do it. As my instructor once said "a tenth of a second here and a tenth of second there, pretty soon you'll be a quick driver".

Auto dimming - no thanks, I will handle myself.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Dual Zone AC - my least favorite feature on the Cayenne - I like to adjust the AC controls from one place, not two. And, yes, I know auto could do it for me, but I am one to set it where I want it, twice in the case of the dual zone. Arggg! No Bueno for me.
With dual zone climate control, you can set it so that both sides are the same so you don't need to adjust them independently. The main value of dual zone isn't the two zones, it's being able to set a temp and having it auto adjust to keep it there.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:01 AM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

I spec'd all three. figured may as well. the folding mirrors is prob the one i would toss if i had too get rid of one of them. of course then (and only then) would I actually find myself in a position where I needed the option one day!
pretty sure you can always get the leather column wrap from suncoast if it's something you want to add later
Old 07-10-2020, 12:07 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

I have all 3. Folding mirror was mostly because I was supposed to do ED and I thought it could be useful in Europe. The extra lights that come with the option can also be nice.

The big reason for me to get dual climate control is that without it you're missing a few buttons and the small lcd screen for the temperature.

I have auto dimming and rain sensors but haven't used them yet
Old 07-10-2020, 12:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Good point on the stitching reflecting. If you and your SA are an ordering pro, you can get black stitching on the steering column even if everything else is a another more reflective color.

I skipped it on GT3 and will skip if I end up with a spyder because it makes the column fatter which I think looks odd (but mainly because I am cheap).

Also good point on the autodim failing overtime. But I can’t stand being blinded by the side mirrors and drive a lot at night so if I have to spend some extra replacing them (I can always cheap out and go with non-autodim) so be it.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:21 AM
rooster17
Pro

Received 595 Likes on 235 Posts

Screw the budget.

Go over and get what you want. Especially if you plan on keeping the car long term or don’t order like this often. I would hate to sit in my car and wish I had got something that’s a few hundred bucks or maybe a thousand or two total in options.

I went over budget $3000 of which a ~$1000 is just price increase for MY (thanks for nothing Porsche). That’s a whopping 2.5% on a $120000 budget. Still not bad in my book.

I have all four of the options you mentioned spec’d. Openly admit I don’t NEED any of them. Or the majority of the other items I spec’d. Anyhow, good luck with your dilemma.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,637 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Puggz
3 options I'm struggling with. I would like to free up some budget for some my personal "wants" such as a leather steering column w/ dev. stitch for example.
  • Dual zone AC - the 981 I drove didn't have it and I didn't notice an issue. I would like to ensure that there's a cabin filter tho.
  • Electric folding mirrors - nice but as long as they fold manually that's ok.
  • auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor - i'm assuming the rearview mirror flips to dim manually. Wont be driving it in the rain all that often.

Thoughts??

P.
My thought was to put all three options on the Spyder...
Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

I think it's natural for everyone to have a mental limit on budget whether or not their wallet can handle more. Personally, I got all 3 options and they are some of the cheaper options I've chosen. I have all 3 options in my current 981 CGTS and use them all the time. Dual zone means automatic climate control. It's pretty rare that I have a passenger so the two zones don't matter, but you can set it to have both sides controlled the same. Just set a temp and let the car do its thing. My CGTS has been a daily to and from work and I expect my GT4 to serve the same purpose (when we eventually go back to the office...). So I do drive at night and in the rain so the auto dimming and rain sensor works well for me. Finally, since I park in our office parking garage, I like my mirrors automatically folding when locked just to have a few inches to avoid doors hitting them.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

For me, the auto dimming is one I really dislike. Can make it too dark and hard to see what is behind you? Cop or soccer mom?
Never had a use for folding mirrors. Never encountered a situation where I wished I had them either.
Auto climate is nice. Here the A/C is pretty much always on!

As an aside - whoever told you leather steering column can cause reflections was either an idiot or a moron. Maybe both!
Old 07-10-2020, 04:39 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

I've had two CGTSes, both with dual zone AC, and I find it doesn't really make a difference side to side. My wife always wants it hotter when it's cold outside, and colder when it's hot, but we really don't feel a side-to-side difference even when there's a 10-degree difference between driver and passenger settings. I also find that the automatic setting likes to keep the blower at an annoyingly loud level in the summer, so I'll have to manually drop the fan speed a notch or two. Having said all that, I still might spec it in my GT4 just for the wife acceptance factor.

I had folding mirrors on my first CGTS and never used them, so I deleted them from my second one and haven't ever missed them.

I wasn't that impressed with the auto-dim, especially because the headlights from the following vehicles seem to have an uncanny ability to flash through the outside band on the mirrors that aren't dimmed and I find that to be quite annoying. Porsche's wiper activation algorithm is one of the better ones, but I still prefer to manually control my own intervals, so I won't get that option on my GT4, either.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
For me, the auto dimming is one I really dislike. Can make it too dark and hard to see what is behind you? Cop or soccer mom?
Never had a use for folding mirrors. Never encountered a situation where I wished I had them either.
Auto climate is nice. Here the A/C is pretty much always on!

As an aside - whoever told you leather steering column can cause reflections was either an idiot or a moron. Maybe both!
With all due respect Dr. Bill, we are talking about the deviated light stitching on a black column reflecting. It is Janko’s spyder with lots of silver stitching and extended alcantara. I definitely saw it reflecting onto the gauges.

Originally Posted by Dyim
Be careful about the stitching on the steering column casing with leather. I was going to order it but it was mentioned here the stitching can reflect quite annoyingly onto the dash gauges.

I saw video of it (I think Janko?) and it is definitely noticeable. So I took it off.

I have folding mirrors and never use it. Potential good thing about it is the lights underneath that you can turn on when you unlock the car, at least in the 991. I assume will be the same in 718.

I picked 2 zone because I found the standard controls looks a bit ‘cheap’ to my eyes.

Dimming for night driving for me. Don’t care for wiper function.

YMMV.
Originally Posted by evilfij
Good point on the stitching reflecting. If you and your SA are an ordering pro, you can get black stitching on the steering column even if everything else is a another more reflective color.

I skipped it on GT3 and will skip if I end up with a spyder because it makes the column fatter which I think looks odd (but mainly because I am cheap).

Also good point on the autodim failing overtime. But I can’t stand being blinded by the side mirrors and drive a lot at night so if I have to spend some extra replacing them (I can always cheap out and go with non-autodim) so be it.

Originally Posted by rooster17
Screw the budget.

Go over and get what you want. Especially if you plan on keeping the car long term or don’t order like this often. I would hate to sit in my car and wish I had got something that’s a few hundred bucks or maybe a thousand or two total in options.

I went over budget $3000 of which a ~$1000 is just price increase for MY (thanks for nothing Porsche). That’s a whopping 2.5% on a $120000 budget. Still not bad in my book.

I have all four of the options you mentioned spec’d. Openly admit I don’t NEED any of them. Or the majority of the other items I spec’d. Anyhow, good luck with your dilemma.
Absolutely agree.

However, I need all my options as much as I need a 2 seater Porsche that won’t fit my family.

Quick Reply: Low priority options - opinions wanted