Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another exhaust sound data point

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Could they go after the axle in place of the OPF filters? There are mounting brackets and shielding there already. That would shift some of the heat away from the engine too.

Of course, beautiful pipes.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 09-08-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:52 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Could they go after the axle in place of the OPF filters? There are mounting brackets and shielding there already. That would shift some of the heat away from the engine too.

Of course, beautiful pipes.
Watch this space

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 09-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Danomite
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium longevity

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Watch this space

JC
JC I just watched a clip by dundon, celebrating your marketing genius but at the same time stating that titanium products WILL eventually crack. What's your take on that?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Danomite
JC I just watched a clip by dundon, celebrating your marketing genius but at the same time stating that titanium products WILL eventually crack. What's your take on that?
This does not sound good!

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-16-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: correted the comment...
Old 09-16-2020, 11:05 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Watch this space

JC
Watching with high interest! Thanks.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:33 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

FWIW...BMW has had many issues with their MPE (Ti performance exhaust) cracking...it's all over the bimmer forums. It is postulated (albeit unproven) to be a flaw in design rather than the materials used...point being I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that ALL Ti exhausts will crack simply because they are Ti. Ultimately, if a company gives a lifetime warranty against manufacturing failure/defects, then that should be good for most...provided making a claim under said warranty isn't a monumental PITA.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Foggy916
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
FWIW...BMW has had many issues with their MPE (Ti performance exhaust) cracking...it's all over the bimmer forums. It is postulated (albeit unproven) to be a flaw in design rather than the materials used...point being I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that ALL Ti exhausts will crack simply because they are Ti. Ultimately, if a company gives a lifetime warranty against manufacturing failure/defects, then that should be good for most...provided making a claim under said warranty isn't a monumental PITA.
I had no issues with various titanium exhausts over the years including a BMW MPE on a M3, Akrapovic on a RS7, and a few titanium exhausts on motorcycles. I do however remember reading about BMW owners having issues with the MPE but my system was fine.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
I had no issues with various titanium exhausts over the years including a BMW MPE on a M3, Akrapovic on a RS7, and a few titanium exhausts on motorcycles. I do however remember reading about BMW owners having issues with the MPE but my system was fine.
The M3/4s had 2 versions of the MPE. The first one had the problem with cracking, but to my knowledge there wasn't an issue with the V2. Also, they make MPE for other cars that I don't believe had any issues. As stated above I'm guessing it's due to design rather than materials used.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:33 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Things take time..

We’re currently building and finalising our non valved race pipes which will be available in silenced and non silenced form.

Two versions of Race manifolds

Three versions of OPF deletes

To add to our two versions of valved rear silencer replacement and two options of tips

There is no ‘one solution’ as you have found. You’re unsatisfied with the level of sound with your rear silenced replacement where as many many customers of ours already are absolutely over the moon with it and wouldn’t wish for anything more.

Same goes for our 991 GT model offerings, over 1000 customers running one of almost 40 different exhaust configurations we offer from a simple and subtle centre silencer replacement to a full manifold replacement with a non silenced race pipe. A 120dB flame throwing insane collection of parts.

This is why from the start we have and will continue to offer the largest and most comprehensive range of products to allow owners, with our guidance, to select the best possible solution for them.

JC
to JCR,
i went to an audio acustics shop who already worked using sound deading to some exotic cars especially with GT3s, he just suggested to deadn the engine upper cover metal and its sorroundings a first phase using just hushmat and my finding for my GT4 718 were:
- the drone with oem exhaust from 2-2.5k is almost gone from noticiable - hardly noticeable
​​​​​​- the click sounds from the engine bay is hardly there when i was idling between traffic lights
- this is surely agreat suggested mod for those whos doing any exhaust setups for our GT and for those who’s paranoid from any drone in it.
my other take as i did this already it made the car quiter (near same when it had quite mode) but the positive it made the crappy bose system to be from bad - normal/acceptable
also done a must have mod relocating the annoyed passengers leg fire extinguisher and man it made a worthy change.

Relocated the fire extinguisher with just strong velcro it its a 100% perfect
Old 09-16-2020, 05:45 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
t

Relocated the fire extinguisher with just strong velcro it its a 100% perfect
So...thinking out loud on this one..."if" this car starts on fire, pretty sure that will be in the engine bay...and you have now moved a pressurized container to sit right on top of that. - Remember Fast and Furious..."NOS!!!" Ka-Boom! Not to mention that this is the one thing you have in the car that you would need to extinguish a small fire should it occur and you have now put it between you and the potential flames... meaning you would need to reach into the burning section of the car to retrieve it.

It might be annoying to your passengers, but I'm pretty sure there is a valid reason it is located in the passenger foot well. Just sayin'

Last edited by 4MIDABLE; 09-16-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:18 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I’ve never felt the need to comment on Dundon products unless directly asked to do so. Generally i’m too busy concerning myself with my own endeavours.

I expect he has too much free time on his hands if he’s still concerning himself with what we’re getting up to. Must be nice

JC
Old 09-16-2020, 06:20 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
This does not sound good!
If you believe this then you best avoid us at all costs and give Dundon a call!!!

Here’s there number - 253-200-4454

JC
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

If you believe this then you best avoid us at all costs and give Dundon a call!!!

Here’s there number - 253-200-4454

JC
Interesting reply Jonny, my comment was one of concern not confirmation, I would have thought that your reply would be to dispel such thoughts, not push someone away who reached out to you about purchasing one of your GPF sets.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:39 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Interesting reply Jonny, my comment was one of concern not confirmation, I would have thought that your reply would be to dispel such thoughts, not push someone away who reached out to you about purchasing one of your GPF sets.
Sorry, the sarcasm probably didn’t come through fully as intended there haha

My point is that inevitably those who feel threatened by our growing audience and reputation will no doubt continue to throw out such comments in order to attempt to disrupt our progress. Thankfully most can see through it so there’s really no need to address nor respond to their comments.

“Just smile and wave, boys“

JC

Old 09-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Danomite
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, the sarcasm probably didn’t come through fully as intended there haha

My point is that inevitably those who feel threatened by our growing audience and reputation will no doubt continue to throw out such comments in order to attempt to disrupt our progress. Thankfully most can see through it so there’s really no need to address nor respond to their comments.

“Just smile and wave, boys“

JC
Allrighty JC, then with what kind of warranty do you back your TI products? Can you perhaps point me to those terms - I'm having trouble finding any info on your site.

Quick Reply: Another exhaust sound data point