Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 850 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
have you ever purchased a Porsche? Lol. Porsche has never offered more for less. They give away nothing. If the engine is “improved “, you will be paying for that improvement. About the only freebies you can count on is a cigarette lighter and a small net in the passenger compartment.
They can price it however they want, but the market for an expensive(100k+) boxster is just not there,be it turbo 4 or NA6 motor, esp for non top of the range gts model, it'll be a number between 82k(2.5T gts msrp) - 95k (718 spyder msrp) and they can price it however they like , but the higher it is, inevitably the bigger discount we'll see when those cars start hitting the dealer lot. That's what they have to deal with as a result of constantly handicapping the boxster/cayman platform and building a brand image of it's an inferior product line to the 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
alemaniac (01-12-2020), Chester7 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The market told them that they shouldn’t have priced a 4cyl 2.5T $82k in the first place. The whole premium sports car market has gone bonkers with inflated msrp’s subsidized by “must get latest” crowds flush with easy money and credit. The real market then adjusts prices with dizzying 2yr depreciation on “as new” cars. I don’t blame PAG, they should make as much hay as they can while the going is good. Doesn’t mean I have to partake.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
sonicworld (01-18-2020), X2Board (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:07 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

My 2 cents:
I currently own a 991.2 C4. I'd love to do European delivery again, but I'm not especially interested in upgrading to a C2S or C4S. I'm sure they're an improvement, but I really don't want to shell out the huge cost difference. I have no interest in PDK, so C2 or C4 are out. The wing on the GT4 is a dealbreaker for me, and I'm not a fan of convertibles (although I think the Spyder is beautiful). That's where a 4L Cayman comes in. Seems like a very attractive alternative, even at 100K. I suspect that the performance difference between it and my car would be negligible. Oddly, I love the power delivery of the current 3L turbo engine, so I hope I'm not disappointed driving the new NA engine. I would probably miss the convenience of the rear seat space. I'll try to get over the prestige issue between the 911 and Cayman. (There, I said it. I know it's a superficial stance). Still undecided, at this point.
The following 2 users liked this post by mb1:
fantom (01-12-2020), Zeus993 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:16 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
My 2 cents:
I currently own a 991.2 C4. I'd love to do European delivery again, but I'm not especially interested in upgrading to a C2S or C4S. I'm sure they're an improvement, but I really don't want to shell out the huge cost difference. I have no interest in PDK, so C2 or C4 are out. The wing on the GT4 is a dealbreaker for me, and I'm not a fan of convertibles (although I think the Spyder is beautiful). That's where a 4L Cayman comes in. Seems like a very attractive alternative, even at 100K. I suspect that the performance difference between it and my car would be negligible. Oddly, I love the power delivery of the current 3L turbo engine, so I hope I'm not disappointed driving the new NA engine. I would probably miss the convenience of the rear seat space. I'll try to get over the prestige issue between the 911 and Cayman. (There, I said it. I know it's a superficial stance). Still undecided, at this point.
well you need not decide anything until such a thing even exists. I miss the interior space of my 991.2 versus my GT4. I don’t miss the motor with its turbo lag. I also miss the 911’s traction and grip mostly. Not sure Porsche has made one car that can satisfy all.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:39 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
......That's where a 4L Cayman comes in. Seems like a very attractive alternative, even at 100K.....
TOTALLY agree. My dilemma, if you can call it that, is my GT4 allocation is in hand, and I don't need a GT4 I even sold my 2016 Cayman in anticipation of getting one, but as I get older, I'm getting wiser. An ego driven purchase for a great car I will have almost no need of.

For me....a $120K garage queen, since it's of little use around town, holding its value is questionable IF PGA is true to their word about building all they can sell for the next three years. No nose lift, no improved gearing, lousy color selection, attention grabbing rear wing, no Michelin 4S tires, not trailering to track events, and so on.

Question is...giving up a GT4 allocation for a Cayman NA6 that may not be.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Aloof
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fantom
TOTALLY agree. My dilemma, if you can call it that, is my GT4 allocation is in hand, and I don't need a GT4 I even sold my 2016 Cayman in anticipation of getting one, but as I get older, I'm getting wiser. An ego driven purchase for a great car I will have almost no need of.

For me....a $120K garage queen, since it's of little use around town, holding its value is questionable IF PGA is true to their word about building all they can sell for the next three years. No nose lift, no improved gearing, lousy color selection, attention grabbing rear wing, no Michelin 4S tires, not trailering to track events, and so on.

My .02 cents: Always best to live in the here and now, rather than living for what cold be of tomorrow. GT4 will always be worth than GTS, and if spec'd with popular options would be very easy to sell; you would likely not get too hurt if past dictates future with GT4 cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aloof:
Chester7 (01-13-2020), fantom (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Vgj
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fantom

Sorry for your dilemma

On the bright side, garage queens are like trophies - our cars are pieces of art that you can see, hear, smell, touch, drive, and even taste if that's what you're into.

Last edited by Vgj; 01-12-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammaroo
The following 3 users liked this post by Vgj:
Chester7 (01-13-2020), fantom (01-13-2020), Guaji (01-12-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The market told them that they shouldn’t have priced a 4cyl 2.5T $82k in the first place. The whole premium sports car market has gone bonkers with inflated msrp’s subsidized by “must get latest” crowds flush with easy money and credit. The real market then adjusts prices with dizzying 2yr depreciation on “as new” cars. I don’t blame PAG, they should make as much hay as they can while the going is good. Doesn’t mean I have to partake.
Agree, but the price is engine independent. Pushing an old design with a weak six cylinder (and it would be weaker than a 911) would likely have the same sales.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

https://presse.porsche.de/prod/press...257C84000FF819

The new 718 GTS 4.0 models: driving pleasure for all the senses

Stuttgart. Porsche is adding two distinctly sporty and high specification models to its mid-engine sports car range: the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0. The new two-seaters are powered by a 294 kW (400 PS) four-litre six-cylinder boxer engine, similar to that used in the 718 Spyder and the 718 Cayman GT4. When combined with the manual six-speed transmission and sports exhaust system, this results in exceptional power delivery and a particularly rewarding driving experience. It achieves the sprint to 100 km/h in 4.5 seconds on its way to a top speed of 293 km/h. Thanks to standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) sports suspension, as well as a 20 millimetre lower ride height and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential, the new generation of GTS achieves a remarkable balancing act between dynamic handling and everyday comfort. The standard Sport Chrono package with upgraded Porsche Track Precision App also emphasises the athletic character of the mid-engine sports cars. Black contrasting design elements and a dark Alcantara® interior create highlights typical of GTS models.

The 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 will be available in Germany, including country-specific equipment and 19 per cent VAT, at a price of €81,926 while the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 will be priced at €83,949. Both models will be available at German dealerships from the end of March 2020.

As with the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4, the powerful four-litre engine is characterised by exceptional efficiency. Adaptive cylinder control that alternately switches off one of the two cylinder banks at low loads, direct fuel injection with piezo injectors and a variable intake system also contribute to the car’s efficiency. The GTS engine also impresses with its superior power reserves and immediate response characteristics. It effortlessly revs to 7,800 rpm and, thanks to the standard sports exhaust system with dynamic damper control, also enjoys the acoustic advantages of the rich six-cylinder boxer engine sound. The 718 GTS 4.0 models adopt the twin tailpipe sports exhaust system with integrated gasoline particulate filter from the 718 Spyder and 718 Cayman GT4. With its saddle-type design, this creates space for the contrasting black rear lower section that was specially developed for the GTS models.

With exceptionally precise handling, agile steering and responsive cornering, the chassis also promises an exciting driving experience. It combines dynamic handling with suspension comfort that is suitable for everyday use. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is part of its standard equipment. This goes hand in hand with a chassis that has been lowered by 20 millimetres in standard form. Optionally, the PASM sports suspension lowers the body by just 10 millimetres. Other standard equipment includes performance-orientated components such as Porsche Stability Management (PSM) with separately selectable PSM Sport mode, the Sport Chrono package including the upgraded Porsche Track Precision App, Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts (PADM) and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with mechanical limited slip rear differential.

The mid-engine sports cars are fitted with 20-inch light-alloy wheels in Satin-Gloss Black. High-performance tyres (235/35 ZR 20 at the front and 265/35 ZR 20 at the rear) surround the enhanced brake system, which features cross-drilled discs and red callipers. The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) is available as an option.

Dark, contrasting details reflect the particularly sporty status of the GTS cars, which applies to the spoiler lip, the all-black air intake of the Sport Design front apron, the front fog light lenses, the rear light lenses and the redesigned lower rear bumper.
In the interior, dark Alcantara® creates a sporty, elegant ambience. This is used for the centre panels of the standard Sport Seats Plus, as well as the steering wheel rim, centre console, gear lever and armrests on both doors. In the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, it also covers the A-pillars and the roof lining. The optional GTS interior package adds another colour: the choice here is between Carmine Red or Crayon. This accentuates the rev counter, seat belts, all decorative seams including the embroidered GTS emblem in the headrests and the Porsche lettering on the floor mats with black borders. The trim elements as well as the centre console trim are made of carbon.

The 718 GTS 4.0 models come as standard with Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with a high-resolution seven-inch touchscreen and the Sport Chrono package, including the enhanced Track Precision App. This smartphone app, which originates from motorsport, shows performance-related data on the PCM display while in race track use and records it for later analysis. The online navigation module with real-time traffic information, voice control and Porsche Connect are available as options, as are a BOSE® Surround Sound System and Burmester High-End Surround Sound System.

Further information, film and photo material in the Porsche Newsroom: newsroom.porsche.com

The consumption and CO2 emission values were determined in accordance with the new Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). The NEDC values derived from this should contin-ue to be specified for the time being. These values cannot be compared to the values determined in accordance with the NEDC measuring procedure used up to now.
Communications, Sustainability and Politics
Product and Technology Communication
Elena Storm
Phone: +49 (0) 711 / 911 56699
E-mail: elena.storm@porsche.de

The following 6 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
BlueBob (01-18-2020), Boulder Mike (01-15-2020), Chester7 (01-16-2020), jto24 (01-16-2020), TopspeedPT (01-16-2020), UncleDude (11-09-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:27 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 217 Posts

That green looks awesome! Here's another link

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...6-speed-manual
Old 01-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! I'm definitely going to grab one at some point!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 PM
JayCao
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering how 981 gt4 market will go...
Old 01-15-2020, 07:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That’s it! Auto-top Spyder. I want it in that green!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That’s it! Auto-top Spyder. I want it in that green!
Green for the win, don't see that color on the German configurator though.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 915 Posts

Sharp

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0