Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 08:57 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Your entire post has made me quite depressed. I thought I had reached some level of semi-enlightened state... where I had figured out the best solution quickly what takes others years to realize. But then you tell us that you're back to square one and I'm feeling pretty lost in this wilderness of indecision now.

I guess I'll just take delivery of the GT4rs, park it in my garage indefinitely and live in this purgatory forever.
Full circle...
I'm considering selling the Radical now, tired by the logistic... but cant quite convince myself I'll have as much fun in a street car (again).
GT4RS or 992GT3 is probably next for me, even if I have the truck, the trailer, ... and if I can get an allocation.

Lets make another circle!
The following users liked this post:
TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Tyrone, what will you buy/play with instead? I figure you need at least one fun car to keep your modding habit fuelled. Otherwise what else, mistress, scale model railway? Could be a disaster for her.
This is the issue... my ego/habit won't let me let go of having at least one fun car at home.

The overall point was that for the price, availability and overall cost proposition of the GT4 RS and where it might need to fit in the hierarchy - there are a few other options to consider which could be more fun/better for track - and for me if the GT4 RS isn't even more focussed for track than a casual GT4 ... then what is it for? I think we'll see this in the 992 as well... the RS is going to be a complete track monster... and really not for the road... in the vein of the AMG GT Black Series.
This is all guessing as there has been no announcement but some people might be looking for that next step up in performance.... but for the anticipated cost a 991.2 GT is more car, if you haven't had one before.
So then you're making a conscious choice to stick with the Cayman platform because you really like it, and thats fine.... nothing wrong with that.

This is ultimately all about: Who is the GT4 RS for?
  • The person that wants the more performance than a 718 GT4, but doesn't want to mod, doesn't want a Road GT3? but the car will likely still be sub Road GT3 performance?
  • The person that wants more performance in a Cayman platform for track.. but doesn't want a Cayman CS?.. which would be Road GT3 performance
Maybe stacking the car against the 911 is incorrect/not fair/not valid - maybe the Cayman deserves a life story/history/linage of its own - so its on it own trajectory and is just a different path for people to take.

The 911 RS makes sense to me because it is supposed to be one step closer to the race car.
But 718 GT4 is 'so' far away from the current 718 CS race car that an RS based on that car would be such a step? This is really a definition of the GT4 class.
Most of us are already guessing shorter ratio PDK, c450HP + more aero and CL wheels (how much is that worth over a 718 GT4 + factory warranty?) real question.

Another way for an RS make sense to me then is for the Race car to be evolved/updated even further to be more competitive in its category.
When is a new Cayman CS due? - 718 CS was launched Jan 2019 and i think Porsche said at the time it had a linespan of minimum 3years.... so we are entering the time windows where a new CS could be around the corner. They will need/want homologate or provide a link back to a road going basis that isn't too far away and more than likely based on the 4.0l.... this is where a 718 RS could come into the picture imo.

Last edited by TDT; 02-26-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Toothengineer (04-18-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:12 AM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Full circle...
I'm considering selling the Radical now, tired by the logistic... but cant quite convince myself I'll have as much fun in a street car (again).
GT4RS or 992GT3 is probably next for me, even if I have the truck, the trailer, ... and if I can get an allocation.

Lets make another circle!
Hahaha, yep - you can say on this little hamster wheel for a long time, convincing yourself forwards and backwards.

Like i said before... you actually need both, Race car + Road GT car, Lol
Old 02-26-2021, 09:34 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I raced in Skip Barber Mazda MX-5 racing series for five years before they went downhill and folded. The most fun and the most educational time I’ve had on the track and the best track bang/$ while racing against 16-20 yr old future pro drivers from all over the world on their way up. If you bought the whole season (6-8 race weekends) as a package it ended up costing only $4-5k per 3- day weekend for full arrive & drive, practices, qualys, 2 races, instruction, and track refreshments. (This was 10+ years ago.) And I loved the fact that all 30+ cars were prepped equally and everyone picked their car# by a lottery draw at the beginning of each weekend. Truly a level playing field.

Too bad it’s not so easy to manage and keep such a business model afloat.

To me this was and still is full circle. It’s not about which car you’re driving/racing. It’s about who you’re racing against, level playing field, and no hassle (arrive & drive, track support, etc.).

Full circle comes when you realize that more HP, more grip, more $$$ car, will not bring you more joy and happiness.

Last edited by hf1; 02-26-2021 at 09:41 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by hf1:
Driven991 (02-27-2021), mlpor (02-26-2021), PiB993 (02-26-2021), sobiloff (02-26-2021), TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT
Hahaha, yep - you can say on this little hamster wheel for a long time, convincing yourself forwards and backwards.

Like i said before... you actually need both, Race car + Road GT car, Lol
:-P So true but...
I have a Spyder right now and Radical's logistics is consuming GT car WE driving time... Cant use them both!
When I'll stop working, I'll have time to do it all... but then I'll be too old to enjoy fully... Damn life :-)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:01 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

The arrive and drive concept is appealing, there are a couple providers here. An old 128i (2009, 2012) is $2400-$2650 CAD for a day.

Is the argument for 3RS over CS Track Day that you can drive to/from the track? It's a big argument for sure because you won't need a tow/trailer combo. But vehicle cost is similar. But my understanding on the CS TD, is that maintenance requirements are not unlike a regular GT car and you don't need trackside support (unless of course you are looking to tweak as you go). I'm not talking about using it for racing, rather DE days.
TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Parabolica1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
The arrive and drive concept is appealing, there are a couple providers here. An old 128i (2009, 2012) is $2400-$2650 CAD for a day.

Is the argument for 3RS over CS Track Day that you can drive to/from the track? It's a big argument for sure because you won't need a tow/trailer combo. But vehicle cost is similar. But my understanding on the CS TD, is that maintenance requirements are not unlike a regular GT car and you don't need trackside support (unless of course you are looking to tweak as you go). I'm not talking about using it for racing, rather DE days.
$2650 is a great price for arrive and drive if that's for full on racing. It wouldnt be worth it for just a regular track day.

I've done the whole racing thing, it's time to take a step back and enjoy the odd track day. Planning to also enjoy all the tracks we have in north America.

The gt4rs makes a ton of sense for me. I just wish it would come in manual.
TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:19 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Parabolica1
$2650 is a great price for arrive and drive if that's for full on racing. It wouldnt be worth it for just a regular track day.

I've done the whole racing thing, it's time to take a step back and enjoy the odd track day. Planning to also enjoy all the tracks we have in north America.

The gt4rs makes a ton of sense for me. I just wish it would come in manual.
I believe it's for track day rental in a fully race prepped car. They do have race program, not sure what costs are for that.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:14 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I also really wished it came in manual... this would take me from excited to over the moon. I don't see that happening.
TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:30 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

I also really wished it came in manual... this would take me from excited to over the moon. I don't see that happening.
Nope
Old 02-26-2021, 08:08 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

In 2013, I took delivery of the incredible 981 Cayman S, and I wrote that I thought the lowly Cayman series may be the greatest sports cars of our generation - akin to a Shelby Cobra, IF.... Porsche just let it have more power. Did that get a laugh. In the following 8 years there have been some really good Caymans developed by Porsche along the way. A lot of committed 911 guys made the switch to the 2016 GT4, and at the track these days you see many more Clubsports than Cup Cars. For me, I think the GT4RS will be the final evolution of this mid-engine wonder car. The tip of the spear. Finally, endowed with the horsepower, weight savings, and track focused modifications to be considered truly a generational best car. Lets see.
The following 2 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
phefner (02-26-2021), TDT (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 10:46 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I really hope it comes with a rear seat option this time.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

I really hope it comes with a rear seat option this time.
A rumble seat would be pretty epic!!
Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 596 Posts

While not the same as a "from the factory" RS car, it won't be that hard to replicate the GT4 RS if you start from a GT4 manual. Same body (unlike the GT3 / GT3 RS) very likely same engine slightly tweaked and stuff like the wing and hood bolt straight on, etc.

I mean, it just depends on how much you want a manual.

I had the first dry trackday in my GT4 today and before lunchtime I got stuck in 4th gear and all other gears had gone missing when trying to find them with the shifter. Figured I had snapped a cable or broken the mechanism inside the gearbox. Turns out it was fixable with a zip tie. Something about the bit of the shift cables and how they attach to the gearbox wasn't gripping properly. heh.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
Ksdaoski (02-27-2021), TDT (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 04:03 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JCviggen
While not the same as a "from the factory" RS car, it won't be that hard to replicate the GT4 RS if you start from a GT4 manual. Same body (unlike the GT3 / GT3 RS) very likely same engine slightly tweaked and stuff like the wing and hood bolt straight on, etc.

I mean, it just depends on how much you want a manual.

I had the first dry trackday in my GT4 today and before lunchtime I got stuck in 4th gear and all other gears had gone missing when trying to find them with the shifter. Figured I had snapped a cable or broken the mechanism inside the gearbox. Turns out it was fixable with a zip tie. Something about the bit of the shift cables and how they attach to the gearbox wasn't gripping properly. heh.
I’ve been in the passenger seat when this has happened on a 718 GT4. Happened on 3rd and we lost all odd gears and reverse.
Same issue.

How’d you find the performance of the 718 GT4?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS