Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 718 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:44 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I think it's marketing genius renaming the car 718 and restyling it the way they have. Add in the big power increase, particularly the torque, and Porsche kinda takes the focus away from the whole 4banger issue and gets the consumer to basically see it as a new car, rather than some kind of downgrade from the 981. It's working on me.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In going through the 718 configurator, it appears that sport exhaust is no longer an option. Am I missing something or does Porsche feel the fearsome growl of a four is sufficient?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:54 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
A lot of posts read like every other Porsche new model/face lift thread: Lots of hand wringing about how bad the styling is. Really, the changes are quite small in that department. I think the car looks good, but still it looks a lot like a 981.1. We will all probably do double takes when we see one on the road the first time, trying to figure out if it is a .1 or a .2. The general public probably won't notice at all.

The mechanical side is a big change though... The increase in power is much more than I expected. I am not of the camp that feels 4 is a downgrade from 6... (Heck, Porsche won Le Mans and the WEC with a V4... maybe Porsche is becoming a 4 cylinder company )

That could be because I also have a WRX... But before anyone decries that Porsche putting a flat 4 in the Boxster moves it downmarket into Subaru territory, it worth remembering that Subaru also has a flat 6 in their line-up... so the downgrade was already in!

Based on what I have read about the characteristics of the new 991.2 engines, I am expecting this to be a great car.
Here's the major reason the 4-cyl engine kills the 718 for me. When I purchased my 981.1 Cayman, I originally headed to the local dealer to check out a 911. But after driving the Cayman and realizing that it essentially had the same engine as the 911 (-25hp), it became very hard to justify spending the extra money. Now with completely different engines between the 718 and the 911, it makes for a bigger separation between the models. When I replace my 981.1, its going to be a really hard sell to not spend the extra money for a 911.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think it's marketing genius renaming the car 718 and restyling it the way they have. Add in the big power increase, particularly the torque, and Porsche kinda takes the focus away from the whole 4banger issue and gets the consumer to basically see it as a new car, rather than some kind of downgrade from the 981. It's working on me.
Porsche is doing everything it can to take the focus away from the fact that the 718 is now a four cylinder car. No question that it's faster, more powerful,etc., but it's still a four. And for a base price of $5000 more! I see it as a downgrade, and clearly not working for me or many other RL posters. Marketing genius? Time will tell.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:39 AM
croctor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Porsche is doing everything it can to take the focus away from the fact that the 718 is now a four cylinder car. No question that it's faster, more powerful,etc., but it's still a four. And for a base price of $5000 more! I see it as a downgrade, and clearly not working for me or many other RL posters. Marketing genius? Time will tell.
The perfect solution for Porsche is to raise price of 911 sufficiently to keep the mid engined cars positioned correctly in their marketing scheme.
Is it disingenuous to roll out a 4banger(albeit Excellent) and still command a premium dollar?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about Archimedes statement this morning..
I'm not in the market for one thankfully as it doesn't excite me. if something happened to the Spyder I would not be looking at a mid $80's 4cyl boxster s replacement. At that price, if I stayed with Porsche, I'd move into a CPO 911. But most (non enthusiast) won't fall into this category.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. When the reviews start coming in, we'll get a better sense of how this will do.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by croctor
The perfect solution for Porsche is to raise price of 911 sufficiently to keep the mid engined cars positioned correctly in their marketing scheme.
Is it disingenuous to roll out a 4banger(albeit Excellent) and still command a premium dollar?
Agree that Porsche will need to keep both a significant price and performance difference between the 718 and 991 cars. Is it disingenuous to bump the price of a lesser styled (IMO), now 4 cylinder mid-engine car by a whopping $5000? I think it's outrageous.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
I was thinking about Archimedes statement this morning..
I'm not in the market for one thankfully as it doesn't excite me. if something happened to the Spyder I would not be looking at a mid $80's 4cyl boxster s replacement. At that price, if I stayed with Porsche, I'd move into a CPO 911. But most (non enthusiast) won't fall into this category.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. When the reviews start coming in, we'll get a better sense of how this will do.
Agreed. Given the 4cyl engine and new styling of the Boxster, coupled with the price point, I wouldn't even consider it. If I was determined to have a Porsche I would either find a perfect, ultra-low mileage 981S, Spyder, or a 991. A six is a non-negotiable for me. But, I'm looking forward to the full reviews of the 718 as well.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:46 PM
croctor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree that Porsche will need to keep both a significant price and performance difference between the 718 and 991 cars. Is it disingenuous to bump the price of a lesser styled (IMO), now 4 cylinder mid-engine car by a whopping $5000? I think it's outrageous.
I agree totally. I suggest it would have been a smarter marketing strategy to introduce the car at a lower price point and see what the market and the reviews had to say.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 672 Posts

The more I think about it, if I was going to spend mid $80s on a 4 cylinder sports car, I would buy a new pick up truck to replace my Tundra and get another Miata.
It's 47 and sunny here - just got back from a ride in the BGTS. Quite a treat for late January in the usually frozen Midwest. What a car!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

It seems that a common line thru this thread is that somehow 6 cylinders is worth more than 4 cylinders regardless of performance...if so, go buy a Camry.

As a multiple 911 owner, currently with a GT3 in my garage, the 718 has me intrigued. I can definitely see it as a garage buddy to my GT3. I was not interested in the 6cyl boxster because I didn't want a car with essentially the same engine and it was too slow. This is different. It promises to be a lot more exciting.

Last edited by Chris3963; 01-30-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Here's the major reason the 4-cyl engine kills the 718 for me. When I purchased my 981.1 Cayman, I originally headed to the local dealer to check out a 911. But after driving the Cayman and realizing that it essentially had the same engine as the 911 (-25hp), it became very hard to justify spending the extra money. Now with completely different engines between the 718 and the 911, it makes for a bigger separation between the models. When I replace my 981.1, its going to be a really hard sell to not spend the extra money for a 911.
The difference between the 981 and the 991 is a lot more than a little horsepower. They're entirely different cars, at a much, much different price point. And if you went for the new 911, you'd be buying a turbo anyway, just a 6 over a 4. The power gap is even narrower now than before, and the price difference, after considering what comes standard on each, is basically the same. I doubt there are a whole lot of people cross shopping a Boxster and a Carrera.

Let's face it, they're all turbo now, they're all not going to sound as good, and they're all going to have less of a rush up top. Difference, IMO, is they did a much better job with the styling tweaks on the 718 than the mess they made of the front and back of the 991.2.

I was negative on this 4 before, but I'm very curious to see how it actually performs and sounds. If the car kicks *** on the road, it's going to sell. Then again, this platform sells pretty poorly as it is, so not sure what Porsche's goals with it really are.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The difference between the 981 and the 991 is a lot more than a little horsepower. They're entirely different cars, at a much, much different price point. And if you went for the new 911, you'd be buying a turbo anyway, just a 6 over a 4. The power gap is even narrower now than before, and the price difference, after considering what comes standard on each, is basically the same. I doubt there are a whole lot of people cross shopping a Boxster and a Carrera.

Let's face it, they're all turbo now, they're all not going to sound as good, and they're all going to have less of a rush up top. Difference, IMO, is they did a much better job with the styling tweaks on the 718 than the mess they made of the front and back of the 991.2.

I was negative on this 4 before, but I'm very curious to see how it actually performs and sounds. If the car kicks *** on the road, it's going to sell. Then again, this platform sells pretty poorly as it is, so not sure what Porsche's goals with it really are.
Very true. The 981 sells very poorly across the world. I privately suspect that the 718 may change this somewhat. With performance close to the 911 but now an entirely different car, it sales prospects are more promising I think.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:06 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting video, evoking the type 550/RS61/718 cars. This new car looks far less like those in my opinion. I'm very glad to have the 987 Spyder, which really looks the part of the early Spyders. I'm biased, but I feel the 987 Sypder design philosophy was the ultimate expression of where the Boxster platform met the great Spyders of the past.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris3963
The 981 sells very poorly across the world. I privately suspect that the 718 may change this somewhat. With performance close to the 911 but now an entirely different car, it sales prospects are more promising I think.
I for one, am glad that the 981 wasn't a huge seller. Like my Audi TT Roadster (v6, 6MT, s-line) these cars are rarely seen on the road, which to me makes them more exclusive and therefore, more desirable. The styling of the 981 in my view is more classic Porsche than the 718, which looks gimmicky to me - especially the rear. It'll be fast, no doubt. But, will people shell out $85-90K for a 4 cyl Boxster? They just might - it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Certainly a gamble for Porsche.

Quick Reply: Boxster 718 Revealed