Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 718 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

I watched the Porsche video on the 718. I think it is interesting they mention "4 cylinder" exactly 0 times in the entire clip, though all lot of it is cool graphics of traveling through the engine.
I am also sad to see the Spyder Configurator go. I've been annoying my wife with it for months...
Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
May we bow our heads for a moment of silence at the passing of the Spyder on-line configurator.

Oh, how we knew you well!

How many countless hours did you help us pass at work and at home?

How many configurations did you provide us with before we finally settled on our dream build?

You served us well.

You served us often.

You will be missed.

R.I.P.

excellent.... (evil laugh) exxxx...cellent!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Croc, you may be absolutely right. But, it would be interesting to see how any previous Porsche owners would consider buying the 4 cylinder 718, then split the data out by age group. Bet the younger first time buyers will be much more receptive to this car than those of us who owned Porsches previously, and also have "a bit more mileage" on our personal odometers. Yeah, like me!
I don't know, I'm 50, on my third Porsche, also a huge NA V8 fan, but this car has me intrigued, both due to the looks and the power. This is the first Boxster that I really like the look of and the power jump is significant. Of course, the key for me would be how well they've managed the lag, which we won't know for a while.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche marketing machine in full force. If it wasn't for emissions requirements, do you think they would have moved to a turbo 4.

Wonder what it will sound like?

Very glad to have a Spyder on order.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I am not crazy about the front and rear, but I don't hate them. I really, really like the dash. Always hated the square-ish 981.1 vents. Along with the bigger touch screen and new wheel, I think they nailed it.

You can't argue with the new power outputs, and we all saw this coming. It will be interesting to see what they actually weigh, though a reduction is probably optimistic.

It will also be interesting to see power output and where they price the Cayman. I am guessing it will be very similar to the Boxster, which makes more sense in the bigger scheme of things, and will make it seem a relative bargain after years of the hardtop being more expensive.

I am sure there will eventually be a Spyder version, so not lamenting that. The configurator is up, and what is disheartening to me is lack of an X73 suspension option...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
You don't? I think Porsche has one hell of a nerve raising the price $5000 from the beautiful six cylinder 981 to the four cylinder turbo 718. It's going to be interesting to see if this car sells well. At the current price point, I really have my doubts. Porsche will probably charge $2500 for the "Exclusive Model Delete" package. That rear badge is downright scary.
yup, i doubt "PORSCHE" can be deleted.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the direct link to the Silverstone video

http://special.porsche.com/microsite...ideo_1440.webm

The track is pretty cool....reminds me of Hunger Games how they can manipulate the terrain to test the car.

Not crazy about the new "spoiler". It goes up as much as Hugh Heffner after he pops some blue pills....

You can see it at the 0:33 mark in this video

Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 718 configurator is up and running. Yes, you can get model delete, either complete deletion of the script or substituting with only "718." There is no option that rids the spoiler of PORSCHE.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:49 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Love that color
that color is Lava Orange (a premium selection)....but the photo is heavily altered/filtered so not a good representation of actual color

color selection is getting worse....no greens....no dark blues or bright blues...and only one premium selection, Lava Orange
Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Meh. No GT Silver, no sport technos. Is sport chrono standard on the S? Didn't see the option in the configurator. Hit $82.5k with manual tranny, no special paint and still needing to go aftermarket for wheels I like.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
that color is Lava Orange (a premium selection)....but the photo is heavily altered/filtered so not a good representation of actual color

color selection is getting worse....no greens....no dark blues or bright blues...and only one premium selection, Lava Orange
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Meh. No GT Silver, no sport technos. Is sport chrono standard on the S? Didn't see the option in the configurator. Hit $82.5k with manual tranny, no special paint and still needing to go aftermarket for wheels I like.
AH, so that's an filtered pic of lava.
Color selection is poor. No miami. No green. Meh. Hope that gets changed.
Very easy to hit mid 80'S on a S build. With PDK I was at 90k.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
AH, so that's an filtered pic of lava.
Color selection is poor. No miami. No green. Meh. Hope that gets changed.
Very easy to hit mid 80'S on a S build. With PDK I was at 90k.
Yup, Lava's not anything close to that in real life. That picture almost makes it look metallic, or at least with a lot of depth to it like GT Silver. It's nothing like that. I like LO, but I like Gulf Orange even better. Now that would be a great color on the 718.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Porsche marketing machine in full force. If it wasn't for emissions requirements, do you think they would have moved to a turbo 4.

Wonder what it will sound like?

Very glad to have a Spyder on order.
There is a sound clip on the 718 microsite. Sounds nasty. In a good way.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I watched the Porsche video on the 718. I think it is interesting they mention "4 cylinder" exactly 0 times in the entire clip, though all lot of it is cool graphics of traveling through the engine.
I am also sad to see the Spyder Configurator go. I've been annoying my wife with it for months...
Actually - if you still have a code saved from a previous build, you can still access the Spyder configurator.

Tell your wife - your welcome.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Actually - if you still have a code saved from a previous build, you can still access the Spyder configurator.

Tell your wife - your welcome.
Well of course I do! She'll be delighted.
I see the ban on green continues and there is no natural leather interior option listed.
That P O R S C H E across the back could get really annoying if it can't be removed.
I built an S up to $88K without natural leather to add.

Quick Reply: Boxster 718 Revealed