Sponsored by:

Boxster 718 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:45 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Can anyone tell if the taillight housings and headlight housings are the same shape as the 981.1's?
The taillights, definitely not.

Headlights... can't tell, but I hope so.

Originally Posted by 981spyder
I love the look of the new 718, the front, the back, the interior, the intake scoops everything.
I wonder if the pcm and the new steering wheel can be retrofitted to 981.....
I'm with you. I don't like everything about it, but overall, I think it's a very good look. I would take a can of black Plastidip to the PORSCHE letters and delete the 718 Boxster S (if it was an option like it was on the 981). With it blacked out, it wouldn't be quite as offensively chrome as it seems to many on here.

I don't like the placement of the SC clock; it looks like an afterthought, rather than an integrated design feature. The 911's is up there, but has its own little shield and looks more integrated with the overall panel. Not a fan of Apple anything, so the Apple Play is a big negative for me. I wonder if it'll play well with Android and Windows mobile devices?

I also wonder if the MF steering wheel can be retrofitted to 981s with the MF wheel without breaking the bank? Seems to me the wiring should be pretty darn similar.

Not that I'll be trading anytime soon; I just got - and am still very much enjoying my 981S! And, of course, I'm going to win one of the PCA fall giveaway 991.2s next week, too!

Last edited by skiahh; 01-27-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This release will certainly be a test for Porsche's marketing department.

'Downsizing the engines but upsizing the letters on the badges' - not exactly compelling selling points.
We know the main driver for the change is due to stricture emissions and perhaps displacement taxes. But I was hoping for something more unique than ‘double clutch’ mid-gearing tricks.

The challenge will be trying to sell a ‘4-cylinder-turbo’ at a premium 65-95K price point.

Historically no one has ever done it successfully. Lotus is still trying.
The 4-cylinder engine (incl.turbo) is too strongly associated with many other brands that are priced on the lower end of the market. It inherently has a negative perception with engine sound, turbo lag (180 degree firing), or reserved for the compact/rally/tuner segment. And so far there is nothing that differentiates this boosted 4 cylinder compared to others.
It would have been better if they tied it with their Hybrid technology or electrical assisted turbos (things I’m sure are in the works). But a common 4 cylinder engine turbo at ~75K – that’s going to be tough to sell.

Kudo’s for the exhaust engineers, I’m sure they tried their best at the engine note – but it probably won’t be enough elicit the right emotional response. I have never heard a 4 cylinder that sounds awesome, which includes world rally.

Last edited by sl951; 01-27-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Woodruffian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I like the new look. As mentioned by others, I would delete the rear badge.

I will need to drive one to give a real opinion on whether or not it's an improvement. Having said that, I am really looking forward to the improved acceleration.

I don't think the turbo 4 cylinder is going to be an issue regarding price. Look at what Ford and Chevy have done with the Mustang and Camaro. Their turbo 4s are priced between the V6s and V8s.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 PM
sl951
Pro

Ford and Chevy turbo 4s - do not cost $75K

It doesn't matter what the acceleration is.

The awesome 944 Turbo has consistently beaten the same year 911 or even the 928, with a single ECU tweak. That car disappeared. It was an expensive turbo 4.

And the 'simple' ECU tweaking is nearly impossible or cost prohibited these days on the 991/981 with the complex software encryption techniques Porsche is using.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodruffian

I don't think the turbo 4 cylinder is going to be an issue regarding price.
You don't? I think Porsche has one hell of a nerve raising the price $5000 from the beautiful six cylinder 981 to the four cylinder turbo 718. It's going to be interesting to see if this car sells well. At the current price point, I really have my doubts. Porsche will probably charge $2500 for the "Exclusive Model Delete" package. That rear badge is downright scary.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A step forward in technology at odds with a step backward in design.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 PM
sl951
Pro

I might see a (slim) chance of success if Porsche made this new engine platform 'more open' for aftermarket tuners. 4 cylinder turbo cars have always attracted aftermarket modifications, more than any other configuration. Obtaining a large peak power/torque number would help mask all the other downsides of a 4 banger... it would be fun, but still a mask.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Sebaflex
Advanced

i think most people who buy an automatic base boxster would probably still buy it if it were powered by a 100hp 3 cylinder.

Originally Posted by sl951
I might see a (slim) chance of success if Porsche made this new engine platform 'more open' for aftermarket tuners. 4 cylinder turbo cars have always attracted aftermarket modifications, more than any other configuration. Obtaining a large peak power/torque number would help mask all the other downsides of a 4 banger... it would be fun, but still a mask.
Agreed!
Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Looks like the new configurator will be up soon. 981.1 and spyder no longer on the page
May we bow our heads for a moment of silence at the passing of the Spyder on-line configurator.

Oh, how we knew you well!

How many countless hours did you help us pass at work and at home?

How many configurations did you provide us with before we finally settled on our dream build?

You served us well.

You served us often.

You will be missed.

R.I.P.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 AM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by sl951
If they did this, why would anyone buy the S?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 AM
sl951
Pro

Originally Posted by Sportwagen
If they did this, why would anyone buy the S?
Well they would never do something like this anyways (make it tuner friendly) - it goes against their culture - 'it's perfect from the factory...'

It doesn't mean they don't make mistakes. As seen with getting rid of the GT3 manual option. The manual 991 (GT3) R - was born out of the customer response to the GT4 and the large debate about driving experience.

I asked my girl friend what she thought about a $70K turbo 4 in the new 718. She laughed, "seriously they're getting rid of the 911 engine, so it's like my Subaru now, lame!"
Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I don't think they will have any trouble selling this car. I am attracted to it because of its engine.

Indeed, I am seriously thinking of adding a Boxster alongside my GT3.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

with such huge performance increase 718 will sell very well.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
with such huge performance increase 718 will sell very well.
Croc, you may be absolutely right. But, it would be interesting to see how any previous Porsche owners would consider buying the 4 cylinder 718, then split the data out by age group. Bet the younger first time buyers will be much more receptive to this car than those of us who owned Porsches previously, and also have "a bit more mileage" on our personal odometers. Yeah, like me!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Croc, you may be absolutely right. But, it would be interesting to see how any previous Porsche owners would consider buying the 4 cylinder 718, then split the data out by age group. Bet the younger first time buyers will be much more receptive to this car than those of us who owned Porsches previously, and also have "a bit more mileage" on our personal odometers. Yeah, like me!
Ha! Agreed. With the base pricing going up significantly, it will be interesting to see what demographic buys these. Playing with the configurator it's very easy to get an S into the 80's.

Quick Reply: Boxster 718 Revealed