Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM
fantôme
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCtx
Nope; I didn't say that. The PTV option DOES CHANGE the differential, with a simple mechanical (clutch-type) LSD unit (instead of an open one without PTV), PLUS brake-based torque vectoring, meaning they apply the inner brake to send more traction to the outside wheel, to 'rotate' the car better. What I don't like is it eat brakes, since even at speeds that won't break traction, it sends more power to the outside wheel, by braking the inner one. But it's only marginally heavier than an open one, and fully mechanical, which I like too. What I meant before was I thought Porsche was charging that much money for a true torque-vectoring differential, which has TWO electronically controlled clutch packs on each side, and the clutch packs do the transferring of power, rather than the LSD and regular brakes. In that case, there's an open differential in the middle, since the clutch packs are controlling where the power goes. They're heavy, and bulky. I mean something like this, which my ex-Lexus RC-F had:

Thanks, I understand now. I haven't ever owned an electronically controlled differential so I don't know what I am missing but it sounds like Porsche took a wise path on the 718. Is the brake pad wear really that significant? Brake pads are about as pain-free as maintenance gets on modern cars.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, it shouldn't be the case if you don't push the car that hard IMO, but hopefully others with more miles (with track, and without) can chime in on brake maintenance. I added it, because almost everybody here said I'd regret it if not ordered. Ha ha. And I want the best driver's car. But since I won't track my car, it shouldn't be too bad. Now, since we don't have on the rear a dedicated parking brake caliper, it is a little bit of a PITA to replace pads, since you need a scanner capable of retracting the rear caliper pistons, to replace the pads. Again, hopefully others can chime in on the difficulty of changing rear pads on 781s (with electric parking brakes).

Last edited by JCtx; Yesterday at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bobbyp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 536 Posts

Rear pads are simple. I can do both sides in less than 30 minutes and have done so with no rush between sessions at the track. I'm just a beginning home mechanic, so anyone should be able to do this.

I don't know what you mean by a scanner to retract the pads. You can just push the pistons back by pressing on the old pads with your fingers or using any routine brake pad tool (I like the Lisle 29100). Fronts take a couple of minutes more per side because you have to remove the calipers. If you're changing pads frequently, studs make sense up front to ease that part of the task and diminish wear on the soft aluminum threads of the caliper.

In any event, pads changes (and rotors) are very simple and no scanners/electronics involved.

I used to go through rear pads more quickly when I was a track beginner. The nannies were compensating for the noob driver and helped rotate the car more. Now fronts and rears wear about equally depending on the track.

Regarding LSD/PTV I've never thought about the differential and I track my car heavily. Anyone just doing street driving would never notice and should save the money. Like most things with modern Porsche sports cars, the performance envelope of the base spec infinitely exceeds anything that can be used on the street. Even with (puke) 'spirited driving' you're not going to gain anything perceptible with that expenditure.

FWIW, my car is a 2018 Cayman S. I bought it to brighten up my commute in my working days and never intended to track it. NO PSE, No PTV/LSD, no PASM/SPASM, etc. It performed flawlessly on the track with none of this. I've since gone down the track junkie rabbit hole, but that's another story. For OP who intends to enjoy his car on the street and has a price point in mind, none of these options will kick in to impact the driving experience. His money is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by ldamelio; Yesterday at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey gang, just closed the deal on my new '25 base today. GM threw PTV and painted nozzles, so ended up $1,630.00 under MSRP, so that was nice. To soften the blow of having to pay more for the '25 over the '24 I had to bail on (2 missing options). Ended up right under 100 grand, but it's loaded to the proverbial gills. I know I'll lose my a$$ on resale, but hope to be able to enjoy it many years. And I might never know how much, because I intend to keep it until I hit the sack. Ha ha. Hopefully a manual base 718 with every performance option, and almost every luxury option, will hold value better over a PDK. Anyway, freeze date is 8/28, and ETA 11/22. I'd settle to get it in 2024. Already ordered a weighted SS ****, and will order all the accessories I need, including the RGS grilles and LED clear front markers.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCtx:
Angus725 (Today), bobbyp (Yesterday), Xxyion (Today)
Old Today, 02:28 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, I'm working on ordering all the accessories for my future Cayman, and need to know if the 'plug' for the entry&drive is a plain black one, or this one: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991EAD.html. If it's the ugly black, to order the linked one, which is what my old 981GTS had. Or I could also order a painted chalk one, but it'd cost 3 times more... and the car will be GT silver, so which one would you get? Thank you.

Last edited by JCtx; Today at 02:31 AM.
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Hey guys, I'm working on ordering all the accessories for my future Cayman, and need to know if the 'plug' for the entry&drive is a plain black one, or this one: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991EAD.html. If it's the ugly black, to order the linked one, which is what my old 981GTS had. Or I could also order a painted chalk one, but it'd cost 3 times more... and the car will be GT silver, so which one would you get? Thank you.
It should be the one you linked. Thats the one mine came with but mine is also a GTS. I personally removed it, i like putting the key in and then turning it to turn on the car, but thats just me. One of my friends did switch his out and he bought his off of AliExpress for 11$ compared to the 100$ that you would spend on sun coast. I know you like to go OEM on stuff but i personally think theres no reason to go OEM for these types of items. They are all made of plastic anyways and you're just paying for the name. Theres a good chance they are the same manufacturer, they are just selling it under their own name rather than Suncoast marking the price up.
Old Today, 12:58 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Just got manufacturing is complete update.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kram71:
laurenxesq (Today), Xxyion (Today)
Old Today, 01:24 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Received an email notification that my build is now at Emden. Great week; two emails in a row

The following 2 users liked this post by laurenxesq:
Kram71 (Today), Xxyion (Today)
Old Today, 01:31 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by laurenxesq
Received an email notification that my build is now at Emden. Great week; two emails in a row
Funny how we get these email updates on or near the same day.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.