Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Porsche 356C Coupe Fully Restored into Outlaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good Shane!!! It am following the great job you are doing at your car!!
Cheers,
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MiniLites

I am please to share with you pictures of my car down on her permenant legs, a set of MiniLites. I could not be happier with the look.

Thanks for continuing to follow. I have also purchased some white Porsche brake caliper logos that we may or may not put on the red brake calipers. Thanks for following,

Shane
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default We got GLASS & DASH

I am very excited to report that we HAVE GLASS! The 45 year old front glass was broken in many places so it has been completely replaced. Bill has also installed the customer leather dash with the heavy white stitch. I am really happy how the white dash really pops with that black leather and the stitch. Looks as new as it did in 1965.

We were contemplating not having the chrome around the windows to give it a less flashy look and more of a race car feel, but I am very happy we decided to keep the chrome trim around the windows. Thanks for continuing to follow, every day we are moving one step closer.

Sincerely,
Shane
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default More Bling

I was pleasantly surprised with some new photographs from Bill. So happy to share some more progress with everyone.

We have chromed the rear double grilles and I am pleased with that decision, really matches the trim around the windows nicely. I contemplated no window chrome but that would have been a mistake now seeing the new chrome around the windows. We have also painted the area below the headlights the same Porsche white as the race stripe. The aluminum race pedals will pop a little more once the black floor set is in place. The fire extinguisher is just sitting there temporarily and I think I want it between the seats out of the way, less obvious. Not sure yet. I really like the rock guards, I fell in love with that look very early on when I was doing my research.

Thanks again for following, I am so happy I have something new to show everyone, the cherry on the top is going to be the Wood Derrington steering wheel that I purchased from Classico and we may get that put on next week. Take care and have a great weekend everyone!

Sincerely,
Shane
Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default The Chicane

The Chicane Blog did a write-up on my car, they are "it" when it comes to Vintage Motorsports, wanted to share!

http://thechicaneblog.com/2010/09/16...he-356-outlaw/

If you are on their site there is a Porsche link on the right, everything German and Porsche, wonderful stuff,

Thanks,
Shane
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default New Photos

How is it going everyone? I received some new photographs from Bill. The aluminum pedals are now installed completely. The floor pad is now installed as well. We have the leather shifter boot with the heavy stitch to match the rest of the interior in place. The blank radio plate is also present, don't need a stinking radio drowning out the sounds from the rear engine compartment and exhaust! :wink: I do not care for the wood shift **** with the Porsche logo I picked up, we will be using one of the Emory Outlaw Eagle shift ***** instead. The other 2 pictures are showing the race tow hook that I purchased from Rennline. Bill had to have it machined so that it would screw further into the bracket so the hook would actually get closer to the body that sticking out so far. The hook can come out in a few seconds and I will find a rubber plug of some sort to fill the hole when I decide to stow it.

We also received confirmation that the heads and case will be back within 2 weeks and assembly of the motor with all of the performance parts including the Nickies will begin. Bill is going to break the motor in on the stand and we will also take that opportunity to Dyno the motor, I am very excited to report the results of that here in the next 60 days or so.

Unfortunately we had SNOW here on Friday, who heard of snow in September, which is even early for North Dakota. It melted right away, but it does not look like we will get the car complete and to North Dakota before we are snowed in for the winter. As soon as the car is complete I will fly to Texas to spend a couple of days with Bill going over the car and testing it out at the Harris Hill Road track, so it is not like I have to wait until spring to drive it, just have to wait for spring to bring it home.

That is the most recent update on the car, thanks for reading all of this and always thanks for allowing me to share this experience with all of you. The support I have received is tremendous and I want to thank everyone for all of the personal messages and the phone calls. Have a great evening, I will update you as soon as we have anything else.

Sincerely,
Shane
Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default New Photos

Very happy to show some new photographs. I am very happy to see the Derrington wood steering wheel from Classico Wheels finally affixed to the steering column. The Deist seat belts are also installed. We are going to change the natural leather color to a black, but they are really cool. Our MiniLite spare tire wheel also arrived and looks great upfront. I like this Emory Outlaw Eagle shift ****. The history behind this Eagle symbol is very interesting.

Below is some Wikipedia text and images about it, I really like the historical significance of such insignias and the fact that it has German origins makes it even more interesting and perfect for a Porsche car.

"The coat of arms of Germany is a sign of Germany; the coat of arms features an eagle. The colours of the coat of arms are similar to those of the flag of Germany (black, red and gold). Together with the Austrian coat of arms, which has the same history, it is the oldest extant state symbols of Europe and is among the oldest insignia in the world."

"The history of the eagle as an emblem began very early. The Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire reserved eagle imagery for only the most revered beings and it served as a metaphor of invincibility. Later, through its imperial insignium of the golden eagle (cf. adler), referred to in German as the Reichsadler, on German soil probably date back to the time of Charlemagne (742–814). Around the year 1200 the black eagle icon on a gold field was generally recognised as the imperial coat of arms."

"In 1433 the double-headed eagle was adopted for the first time by the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund. Since then the double-headed eagle came to be used as the symbol of the German emperor, and hence as the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation."

Thanks for letting me continue to share this experience with everyone, have a great day,
Shane
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default Update

Got some new photographs to share with everyone. The first picture is showing the custom straight leather door panels without the stock pockets at the bottom. You will also notice the heavy white stritch has been carried over to the arm rests. The trunk picture is showing the ORIGINAL data plate as it was restored by Victor Miles, wonderful work done by him. The other photographs show some of the window trim pieces. The steering wheel is definately the focal point of the interior and I just love the look.

Hope you enjoy these photographs, the car is almost 100% assembled, just waiting for that darn motor. Maybe I could go down to Texas and take turns sitting in the driver seat while two other guys push the car around the block? Could make some cool motor and exhaust sounds with our lips as we go around the corners? My son Greyson is a master at making car noises, he could give me notes.

Thanks for continuing to follow me and my car,
Sincerely,
Shane
Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

Your car is incredible! Can't wait to see more.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default Photos

My original "Oh **** Hold On" passenger dash handle was in rough shape, we had it covered in leather with the white stitch and it turned out better than I imagined, now matches the arm rests. The door panels are finally fitted in place, sleek and simple look. As I stated late last night the case has arrived so the assembly of the motor will begin this week! Can't wait to report the Dyno results.

www.hamiltonclassics.com/Balkowitsch.htm

Thanks for following, a couple months left to go at the most my 356 friends,

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments:
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default Heads and Case

The modified heads and case have arrived. Bill is starting to assemble the motor, our goal is going from 95HP to 150HP, the dyno will not lie at the end of the build. I will share photographs as soon as I can, thanks for continuing to follow, some new photographs at

Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm enjoying the pics Shane. The car is looking great. I'll probably be talking with you over at the 356 registry (MoPor)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Balkowitsch
Advanced

Default 42 Days and Counting

Just received three photographs from Bill on the functioning electrical system, she is ALIVE my friends. I am so glad we went with the new wiring harness and a 12v system throughout. Those white headlight buckets look pretty cool if I have to say so myself. :P

Motor assembly is well on its way, let me start the countdown, 42 days until I see the car and we take it on the track! Alot of work to do yet, but the finish line is close at hand. Thanks for continuing to follow my little journey, it is a pleasure to say the least.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
BReyes
Racer

i vote this is the best thong of the day. Shane good luck and bring her down to Sebring!

Regards,
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

What a work of art! Absolutely beautiful, wish I had the funds to move my 356 along in that direction!

Quick Reply: 1965 Porsche 356C Coupe Fully Restored into Outlaw